How much do you care to see/learn from the other universes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBNamek

How much do you care to see/learn from the other universes?

Post by DBNamek » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Ever since Battle of Gods was made over 7 years ago, we were introduced with the concept of a multiverse in DB. 7 years later, and we haven't got much. Truth be told, I always liked the idea of a multiverse. If done right, it can be handled well.

But ever since the modern DB era, despite now having a total of 12 universes, we still don't know much about it. In each modern DB story, it goes like this:

Battle of Gods : Universe 7
Jaco + Minus: Universe 7
Resurrection F: Universe 7
Champa: Universe 6 and 7
Goku Black: Universe 7 ad 10
Universal Surival/ToP: All the universes (mostly Universe 6, 7, and 10)
Broly: Universe 7
Galactic Patrol: Universe 7

In each modern story, there is an emphasis with Universe 7. Makes sense since it's the main universe, but other universes don't have much to go on. Now, that's not to say Universe 7 shouldn't be ignored, of course not, but if you're going to bring the concept of a multiverse in the series, it would be nice to other universes.

One part that I would like to see, though I'll admit the interest has gone down since nothing has been done so far, is Vegeta going to Universe 6. Back when he said this to Cabba in the Champa arc (2016), I was very intrigued to see where this was going. 4 years later, nothing has been done.

What about other plot points? Some that come to mind are...

1. Who was the demon/monster that killed Jiren's family and master? Did Jiren defeat this entity?
2. How powerful are Universe 1, 5, 8, 12?
3. Why is there a Yardrat in Universe 2?

You see what I mean. Anything really. I really wish we can explore other universes. Because sticking in Universe 7 can be bothersome.

What do you guys think?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How much do you care to see/learn from the other universes?

Post by Peach » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I'm curious about the person who killed Jiren's friend.

It was silhouetted like the Androids were when Trunks told Goku about them for the first time. So mysterious and badass.

I don't care too much about anything else with the multiverse. I think they should keep it grounded in Goku's universe.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:10 pm

A lot. I love new stages / planets and they have free realm to bring some creative areas. Especially useful for future videogames.

BlackMagicianX

Post by BlackMagicianX » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:56 pm

I would love to see more of the other universes. Definitely U6, as I really like the characters from there. Universe 2 would be interesting too. If Ribrianne is the "beautiful good", then I'm wondering what U2's "ugly evil" is.
pfp from @nekurodayo on twitter

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 pm

I don't really want to see them a lot more, but I do want to know more about U6 saiyajin culture, and about the life of Hit, Frost, Jiren, Hakaishin Toppo and retired Velmodd.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:25 am

Based on how poorly these universes have been utilized, I don't think they were ever intended on being explored. I think Toriyama introduced the idea as a way of saying "no matter how far Goku gets, there'll always be greater things out there", which is also what Roshi told him at the very beginning. To answer the question, no, as they've been completely wasted at this point and have nothing going for them.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 am

I know this is all bucketloads of wishful thinking at this point, but ever since I watched episode 118, I started to really want to see more of Universe 2.

There have been a few points that made me interested, especially about Ribrianne being a goddess (and I think Rozie and Kakunsa were mentioned as such) and why there's a Yardrat there.

Maybe not even an arc in their universe, but a ministory with the Fireballs, #18, #17 and Krillin, showing a closer bond now that they've actually understood one another, maybe ending with a fight where both teams show perfect teamwork and then a last thank you to #17 for saving their universe. I think it would be something cute at least.

But eh, I seriously doubt anything of the sort would ever happen at this point. Well, I'll be content with what they gave us in Dokkan.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:41 am

I just hope they can come up with something interesting from those universes. I would like to see more of Universe 3, for example.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Not much. From what was shown in the Tournament of Power arc, they all looked very generic and boring. The only interesting one was Universe 3, if anything because it seemed like some of its planets were completely artificial.

Howveer I am curious to learn more about the four universes that did not participate in the Tournament of Power, we don't even know what kind of fighters they might have (do their fighters lean towards brute strength, cunning, or magic?). If they ever make another multiversal tournament (I believe the idea was mentioned somewhere at the end of the ToP arc), then those universes will receive a lot of attention.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 pm

To be honest I don’t really care for them at all. I wouldn’t mind them making minor appearances here and there, but that’s about it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I think it's something that the anime has more potential to explore than the manga. The only notable alien planets in Toriyama's original manga, namely Planet Namek and the Kaioshin Realm, were basically exactly like the kinds of ideal fighting locations that could easily be found on Earth, purely for the sake of convenience. Toyotaro's manga hasn't really taken us to any memorable multiversal locations - his version of the Universe 6 Tournament looks just like the Otherworld Tournament. The Super anime at least made each one look and feel distinct in the glimpses we see of each of them, but that's a benefit of the medium. It's harder to convey interesting locations in a black-and-white manga compared to a decent budget, full-colour anime.

Despite all that, I think it works to keep many of them reasonably mysterious. Universe 6 has the most potential and is probably the most variable, three-dimensional universe aside from Universe 7. I love the gritty cyberpunk-inspired planets we see Hit and Frost go to.

DBPirate

Post by DBPirate » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:38 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing more characters from the other universes, but the universes themselves? Not so much. I think that DB would lose some of its intimacy if it regularly ventured to other parts of the multiverse. It would be too "grand". Universe 6 is the only one I would actually be interested in seeing.
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Honestly, all those other universes were more like just another planets.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:26 am

The only uiverses that may be worth seeing are Universes 6 (twin universe to the original one), 2 (Ribiranne's universe) and 11 (Toppo and Jiren's universe).
Psajdak wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 pm Honestly, all those other universes were more like just another planets.
Yeah, I feel the same about this too. Universes was going too big IMO.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:59 am

I'm intrigued by the other Universes, and would definitely love to know more about them... but I don't think I can equate that to wanting to see more from them in the main story.

There's plenty you can learn about other Universes that would be interesting and cool to know, including their characteristics, how exactly they correspond to their respective 'twins' and in what ways, what the prevailing conditions are like, how their guiding traits are expressed, etc. - we've only had hints of these so far, like Universe 2 being about beauty (but having a radically different conception of it), Universe 3 having lots of machine-men, or Universe 9 being a dumpster fire because its God of Destruction is too timid to do his job and erase the worlds that need erasing.

But I'm not sure I can see my way to a compelling story arc that would also satisfyingly plumb the depths and investigate this detail - that's too tall an order. I think a story that is set in another Universe or which makes liberal use of other-Universe characters would have to be so strictly-defined in scope as to tell us relatively little about that Universe as a whole. That's why I say I don't think that I want to see much more in the main story, as it would either tell us nothing much, or go too far 'off piste', to the detriment of the story being told.

I think if a Guidebook were to come out, it'd be the ideal place for including more about the Universes, and I'd love to see it; that's pretty much it, though.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Honestly, I'm disappointed that we haven't seen more about the other universes so far, might as well would've been better to not introduce them at all.

I wish that when Super returns (It's going to happen at some point for sure) we get to see more of Universe 6, I want to learn more about Planet Sadala and Frost and Universe 3, because I like the idea of a Machine themed universe.

There is so much potential for endless storytelling, makes me wonder how much different the series would've been if Champa won the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 tournament.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:39 am

I want to see more of the Universe 6 Saiyans.
The Universe 9 collapse would be interesting to explore.
With how strong Universe 11's top dogs are and since they're superheroes, a villain appearing there that challenges them makes sense.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Venus wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 pm Honestly, I'm disappointed that we haven't seen more about the other universes so far, might as well would've been better to not introduce them at all.

I wish that when Super returns (It's going to happen at some point for sure) we get to see more of Universe 6, I want to learn more about Planet Sadala and Frost and Universe 3, because I like the idea of a Machine themed universe.

There is so much potential for endless storytelling, makes me wonder how much different the series would've been if Champa won the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 tournament.
Agreed I mean you can create an infinite amount of Freeza Race characters through Frost and his army, it was stated that Frost had armies across U6 and that Champa would restore his position in U6 if he fought in the top arc, and the same case for Sadala, an infinite amount of Saiyan characters to follow and develop there.

King Sadala is a thing which means there is royal Saiyan family on Sadala

Just some more possibilities

Are U6 Androids on Earth a thing?

What are Emperor Frost and King Sadala's relationship like?

What does Planet Sadala think of Kale's Legendary Super Saiyan powers?

Has Cabba, Caulifla, or Kale taught other Saiyans SSJ?

Is Frost army composed of just the Freeza race or numerous other races like Moro's and Freeza?

Are there more assassins like Hit in U6?

Is there a U6 Verison of Moro?

Is there a U6 Demon realm? Demon are a thing in U11, which means there are other demons in other universes.

Is there is a U6 Demon King?

Is there a U6 Verison of Majin Buu?

Is there another angel training like Merus in U6?

Those are just off the top of my head.

With U6 stated to be more advanced, I think there being androids on Earth U6 is a huge possibility.

SaiyanEpic

Post by SaiyanEpic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 am

DBNamek wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:38 pm Ever since Battle of Gods was made over 7 years ago, we were introduced with the concept of a multiverse in DB. 7 years later, and we haven't got much. Truth be told, I always liked the idea of a multiverse. If done right, it can be handled well.

But ever since the modern DB era, despite now having a total of 12 universes, we still don't know much about it. In each modern DB story, it goes like this:

Goku black: Universe 7 ad 10

In each modern story, there is an emphasis with Universe 7. Makes sense since it's the main universe, but other universes don't have much to go on. Now, that's not to say Universe 7 shouldn't be ignored, of course not, but if you're going to bring the concept of a multiverse in the series, it would be nice to other universes.

One part that I would like to see, though I'll admit the interest has gone down since nothing has been done so far, is Vegeta going to Universe 6. Back when he said this to Cabba in the Champa arc (2016), I was very intrigued to see where this was going. 4 years later, nothing has been done.

1. Who was the demon/monster that killed Jiren's family and master? Did Jiren defeat this entity?

You see what I mean. Anything really. I really wish we can explore other universes. Because sticking in Universe 7 can be bothersome.

What do you guys think?
3. Why is there a Yardrat in Universe 2: I dunno about why but U2 and U6 saiyans are the most valuable for me, this remember this old reddit thread lol https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/c ... 1_5_8_and/

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 pm

DBNamek wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:38 pm Ever since Battle of Gods was made over 7 years ago, we were introduced with the concept of a multiverse in DB. 7 years later, and we haven't got much. Truth be told, I always liked the idea of a multiverse. If done right, it can be handled well.

Goku Black: Universe 7 ad 10

What do you guys think?
currently uub, the epilogue, goten and trunks no longer matter to me but I like watching the new universes 6, 7 and 3