Is Moro Less Of A Character And More Of A Response By The Author?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Is Moro Less Of A Character And More Of A Response By The Author?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 pmWell, we don't know what Moro really needs to stay alive at all, so it's hard to draw conclusions from that - for example, his massive longevity without eating could conceivably have come from all the energy of the 320 planets he'd consumed prior to his imprisonment.

What we can say is that currently, Moro is definitely consuming energy way beyond his need right now - he's gorging, essentially, and consequently is "building up [his] energy reserves".

But then again, when everyone and everything is a meal, what else is worth doing but eating?
Exactly. Since he doesn't need to eat anyone at all for survival reasons or even because its the only way for him to maintain his power, Moro is just doing this because it satisfies his sadistic desire. Moro's motivation revolves around being evil for it's own sake. If he actually had some legit reason to be a villain then Moro would be putting his efforts towards something that had a grand purpose, like conquest over the whole universe/universes or wanting to use the Super DBs to change reality forever. However, Moro is totally content with being a villain by simply sucking up the lives of the weak because he finds it fun.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am Exactly. Since he doesn't need to eat anyone at all for survival reasons or even because its the only way for him to maintain his power,
I think that is overstating your case. Eating people certainly is how he maintains his ki; it took the consumption of Goku, Vegeta, and Namek to restore Moro's body physically, and in his first appearance it's stated he's only lived as long as he has by eating so many people, and that this is almost spent.

While I agree that he's eating more than he strictly needs for survival right now (and maybe he always does - as I've said, we really don't know what would be the lowest level of consumption sufficient to keep Moro alive), it doesn't at all follow that he therefore doesn't need to eat for survival. You probably don't need to eat lunch today to survive, but I'm not going to conclude from that that you don't need to eat to survive at all. You probably enjoy your food, too - so does Moro. His food just happens to be people.
Moro is just doing this because it satisfies his sadistic desire. Moro's motivation revolves around being evil for it's own sake.
And I wouldn't say it's just why he's doing it, either - that is likewise an overstatement. While Moro certainly is evil, it's more because he isn't the least bit concerned about how others are affected or what happens to them; they're all instruments to him, whether as food or as foot-soldiers - his callousness and lack of compunction about what he's doing, and the sheer immoderateness with which he's doing it, is what makes him evil; there's no need to go further and argue here that he doesn't even need to eat at all, which seems contrary to what we know of Moro.

I've already said above that I think Moro is taken from the same basic character pattern as Piccolo Daimao, who was very much 'evil for its own sake', so I don't really have a problem with the same characterisation as such being applied to Moro - but then, I also don't have the opinion that this is a weakness of Moro's character (or that it means that he doesn't have a character), any more than it meant that for the Daimao.
If he actually had some legit reason to be a villain then Moro would be putting his efforts towards something that had a grand purpose, like conquest over the whole universe/universes or wanting to use the Super DBs to change reality forever. However, Moro is totally content with being a villain by simply sucking up the lives of the weak because he finds it fun.
Here's our fundamental disagreement, I think - you think that he's eating people just to be a villain, and therefore all his villainy is petty and meaningless because every consumption is just an opportunity to be evil all over again, and he enjoys that. I think he's eating people just to eat, that everything he encounters is just a meal to him, that he enjoys eating like most life-forms, and therefore "making an ideal galaxy where I am free to consume planets as I wish" is the 'grand purpose' Moro is aiming at. There's nothing more to it than that. As a goal, it's the precise analogue of Piccolo Daimao becoming King of the World and announcing that he wishes to create a world where people can do any terrible thing they wish, making "a glorious world of terror and hate" - except, it's given through the lens of a person for whom eating energy is the only thing that matters.

If Moro were conscious of his consumption being just an opportunity to be evil, phrases like "Worry not. This one [Esca] is merely food" would be bizarre ("Don't worry guys, just eating a kid here; we're cool, right?"). But if it actually is just to eat, and he really doesn't see eating people as a big deal, but regards it the same way as we do when we eat food, then statements like that, and the fact that he regards the Galactic Patrol's opposition as "nonsense" (i.e., it literally doesn't make sense to him), become entirely comprehensible.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:05 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 pmWell, we don't know what Moro really needs to stay alive at all, so it's hard to draw conclusions from that - for example, his massive longevity without eating could conceivably have come from all the energy of the 320 planets he'd consumed prior to his imprisonment.

What we can say is that currently, Moro is definitely consuming energy way beyond his need right now - he's gorging, essentially, and consequently is "building up [his] energy reserves".

But then again, when everyone and everything is a meal, what else is worth doing but eating?
Exactly. Since he doesn't need to eat anyone at all for survival reasons or even because its the only way for him to maintain his power, Moro is just doing this because it satisfies his sadistic desire. Moro's motivation revolves around being evil for it's own sake. If he actually had some legit reason to be a villain then Moro would be putting his efforts towards something that had a grand purpose, like conquest over the whole universe/universes or wanting to use the Super DBs to change reality forever. However, Moro is totally content with being a villain by simply sucking up the lives of the weak because he finds it fun.
Moro said that when he was about to die, some of his magical power returned. And when he started to absorb vital energy, his body became younger and stronger. So he needs what he calls food to stay alive. An ideal world where he can eat whatever he wants without worrying theoretically is able to keep him alive forever.

He never explicitly said that this was his goal in creating this ideal world, but from what we've seen so far of the character, that seems to be necessary for him. He doesn't just do it because he's evil, it's just because he sees everyone as meals and doesn't care about eating them or how he's going to eat them

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:50 pm He's very strong but he doesn't seem unstoppable. I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to beat him and save the universe. His magic and copy techniques make him very deadly but not invincible. He doesn't have, for example, immortality, an actual op hax that has no counters/
Mafuba?
For Future Zamasu sure but Infinite Zamasu?

Good luck lol.