Old Broly VS New Broly

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FishermanJohnWest
Beyond Newbie

Re: Old Broly VS New Broly

Post by FishermanJohnWest » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:25 am

Z Broly

New Broly is just Base Broly from Z, he talks here and there, but they made you feel sorry for him

SaiyanEpic

Post by SaiyanEpic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 am

Old broly for sure, because I actually like his sarcasm :D

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 am

but they made you feel sorry for him
Why is that a bad thing?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am

I think that two Brolys are really hilarious in FighterZ, as the Z Broly has ton of voice lines and the Super Broly just shouts and makes shrieks...
But I am not a fan of having two Brolys much. Sure, I like the Super Broly more as there is more potential to use him in future and his character is more than just an evil brute controlled by his rage (until exactly that happens), but now for me the Z Broly is kinda obsolete...
And outside of seeing Adult Gohan, Trunks and Goten together in the 10th movie, I really don't like any of the movies with Broly that much, as they have just great Kikuchi score. First is just a pummeling fest of the characters getting trashed before Goku pulls weird fist out of his pocket, second is more enjoyable for me, but it is the same Broly and now he doesn't speak and the third one, is weird movie that is even less interesting but to differentiate it from being Brolly again, the characters fight weaker clone of him that looks like a blob of mud.
For me then, the whole Super movie and Brolly as a character, is huge improvement over the old. Only thing I don't like is that Paragus is just being an asshole... before, he loved his son and was betrayed by his own king, but Broly was monster who posed threath for everyone including him, so he tried to control his rage and have a revenge at the same time... The new Paragus is really just an asshole father and a weakling, who abuses Broly and goes to serve Freeza.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 am

Peach wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 am Old Broly by a mile. The crying backstory aside, he was a badass. I like his personality, his sadism, and his design much more.

Super made Paragus cooler, but made Broly into a generic brute and tarzan.
Same. New Broly has potential in concept, but in execution they didn't quite deliver. He's basically great, until he transforms. Then he's nothing. Old Broly has the opposite problem, nothing in base, but fun to watch after transforming. Now, if they combined the concepts and have sympathetic and somewhat gentle nature boy turning into raging s*** talking a** kicker then we have something much more entertaining.

I just don't like that he loses all personality after transforming. It's a waste. Turned my enjoyment of that movie down a few notches.
SaiyanEpic wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 am Old broly for sure, because I actually like his sarcasm :D
This too. Broly was actually funny and charismatic, despite what the games would lead you to believe.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 am

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 amNew Broly has potential in concept, but in execution they didn't quite deliver.
One thing the new Broly has over classic Broly is future story arcs that can develop him, and if done right he can far surpass the classic.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:36 am

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 am
SaiyanEpic wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 am Old broly for sure, because I actually like his sarcasm :D
This too. Broly was actually funny and charismatic, despite what the games would lead you to believe.
I think that FighterZ did him a good service as opposite to the drunk Super Broly.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am I think that two Brolys are really hilarious in FighterZ, as the Z Broly has ton of voice lines and the Super Broly just shouts and makes shrieks...
Actually, I was kind of disappointed that Old Broly didn't have more lines in FighterZ. He mostly just yells out-of-context quotes from the first movie. A lot of characters have unique quotes against him, but he apparently has nothing to say against other powerful characters like Beerus and Jiren, or even many characters he's already met. Still, much better than what New Broly got... screaming DAAAAHHHH like a Raving Rabbid all the time. :lol:

A lot of takes in this thread already illustrate my opinions so I won't go into too much depth. Both have their merits but if I had to choose one, probably New Broly, although he's far from perfect. I absolutely concur with preds4343 that the Kakarot crying thing in Broly's backstory is so often wilfully misinterpreted as his sole motivation, which is completely surface-level and has been taken as gospel by far too many people. I hate that even TeamFourStar peddle this shit. Old Broly was a sadistic sociopath who has suffered horrific trauma from the day he was born -- psychologically, he's not quite right in the head. KAKAROTTO is purely an irrational association he relates to all of his pain and rage. The sequels were what ruined Old Broly's character beyond recognition.

Does that make him, in Abridged Vegeta's words, "a literal giant f*cking baby"? Yeah, kind of. But does that automatically equal bad? No. Plenty of the best psychopaths in fiction have childish fixations and mannerisms. Going by this logic, New Broly is way worse in this regard -- the dude is literally mentally stunted at an early developmental stage, which was more of an unspoken implication with Old Broly at least.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am I think that two Brolys are really hilarious in FighterZ, as the Z Broly has ton of voice lines and the Super Broly just shouts and makes shrieks...
Actually, I was kind of disappointed that Old Broly didn't have more lines in FighterZ. He mostly just yells out-of-context quotes from the first movie. A lot of characters have unique quotes against him, but he apparently has nothing to say against other powerful characters like Beerus and Jiren, or even many characters he's already met. Still, much better than what New Broly got... screaming DAAAAHHHH like a Raving Rabbid all the time. :lol:

A lot of takes in this thread already illustrate my opinions so I won't go into too much depth. Both have their merits but if I had to choose one, probably New Broly, although he's far from perfect. I absolutely concur with preds4343 that the Kakarot crying thing in Old Broly's backstory is so often wilfully misinterpreted as his sole motivation, which is completely surface-level and has been taken as gospel by far too many people. I hate that even TeamFourStar peddle this shit. Old Broly was a sadistic sociopath who has suffered horrific trauma from the day he was born -- psychologically, he's not quite right in the head. KAKAROTTO is purely an irrational association he relates to all of his pain and rage. The sequels were what ruined Old Broly's character beyond recognition.

Does that make him, in Abridged Vegeta's words, "a literal giant f*cking baby"? Yeah, kind of. But does that automatically equal bad? No. Plenty of the best psychopaths in fiction have childish fixations and mannerisms. Going by this logic, New Broly is way worse in this regard -- the dude is literally mentally stunted at an early developmental stage, which was more of an unspoken implication with Old Broly at least.

At the very, very least, Old Broly had a backstory and semblance of motivation in his original movie, which is much more than can be said for most other movie villains. I find characters like Tullece and Lord Slug to be far worse than him because they don't even have anything to make them memorable.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 am
BWri wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 amNew Broly has potential in concept, but in execution they didn't quite deliver.
One thing the new Broly has over classic Broly is future story arcs that can develop him, and if done right he can far surpass the classic.
I agree. Too bad we haven't seen him since the end of his film.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:40 pm I agree. Too bad we haven't seen him since the end of his film.
That was to be expected though, as he wasn't going to show up directly after just getting his own movie. I think it's safe to assume he'll be part of the next arc, or the one after that at the latest.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 am

New Broly, has a personality and isn’t some overpowering muscle headed idiot. The guy knew when he was gonna lose and was about to go out in style.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Kefla wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 amNew Broly isn’t some overpowering muscle headed idiot.
That's exactly what he becomes once the fight with Goku and Vegeta starts. At least when Old Broly started fighting he still had a personality.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Kefla wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 am New Broly, has a personality and isn’t some overpowering muscle headed idiot. The guy knew when he was gonna lose and was about to go out in style.
True, but that's because he has no personality at all once he starts fighting.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Kefla wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 am New Broly, has a personality and isn’t some overpowering muscle headed idiot.
But he is. The little personality he had vanishes once the fight starts.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

And what is worse, Goku tried to talk some sense, but the mindless beast ignored it and continued his nonsensical rampage. If Broly had properly reacted at that moment, I would probably liked him. It would be a nice twist, and if done right, I could see his personality being established from it. But it's Dragon Ball Super we're talking about, so they preferred the "new Broly" to be the "new old Broly".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:27 pm

In fairness, isn't the whole point that Broly's completely lost his sense of self by halfway through the fight, in the manner of a raging Oozaru?

I don't have anything much to say about which Broly is 'better', but it's really not a killer point for people here to say Broly 'doesn't have a personality' in the fight, when the whole problem the movie is fixed on by then is that he's lost his actual personhood in that fight and just become like a rampaging beast, which is what makes him such a threat.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm And what is worse, Goku tried to talk some sense, but the mindless beast ignored it and continued his nonsensical rampage. If Broly had properly reacted at that moment, I would probably liked him. It would be a nice twist, and if done right, I could see his personality being established from it. But it's Dragon Ball Super we're talking about, so they preferred the "new Broly" to be the "new old Broly".
The point of the scene is that he did calm down, you can see it in his expression. But he loves his father so much, even after what he went through, that he worked himself up back into a frenzy to keep fighting.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:15 pm

EGonzo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm And what is worse, Goku tried to talk some sense, but the mindless beast ignored it and continued his nonsensical rampage. If Broly had properly reacted at that moment, I would probably liked him. It would be a nice twist, and if done right, I could see his personality being established from it. But it's Dragon Ball Super we're talking about, so they preferred the "new Broly" to be the "new old Broly".
The point of the scene is that he did calm down, you can see it in his expression. But he loves his father so much, even after what he went through, that he worked himself up back into a frenzy to keep fighting.
Actually Broly just couldn't control his rage, that was the problem.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:15 pm
EGonzo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm
Actually Broly just couldn't control his rage, that was the problem.
I just rewatched the scene (when God Goku freezes him, in case we're not thinking of the same scene) and he definitely stops, the rage in his face completely disappears and he's calm, if surprised by Goku's words. It's only after Goku mentions Broly's father that he closes his eyes and makes himself angry again.