Using 'Expanded Universe' Ideas in Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Using 'Expanded Universe' Ideas in Super

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm

So, Dragon Ball Super has so far used at least a couple of ideas that have previously appeared in other official Dragon Ball media before, though not the main story (hence the phrase 'Expanded Universe' as a catch-all for this), and with adaptations from the original material.

The most obvious and important example of this is, of course, Broly, adapted from older DBZ Movies to appear in another guise in the most recent Dragon Ball Super movie. But there are others, such as the use of Toriyama's DB Online Yardrat design (and arguably the Yardrat anime design too, since they weren't shown in the original manga), and no doubt others I'm not mentioning. So, this made me think of a couple of questions:

Firstly - how do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story? Do you enjoy them overall, or would you rather see them left in the media in which they were first conceived? Are you okay with seeing these ideas show up in principle, or would you rather they stopped?

Secondly - are there any ideas currently out there in the Dragon Ball 'Expanded Universe' - whether in movies, the anime, games, or even 'non-main storyline' manga - that you think you would enjoy seeing used in the main story? It doesn't have to be a big thing, and it also doesn't necessarily have to be used the same way as when it was first introduced (just like Broly wasn't), but if it isn't, it'd be cool if you'd sketch out how you'd like to see it realised.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Using 'Expanded Universe' Ideas in Super

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Dragon Ball Online is meant to follow the original manga, so I don't see Toyotaro using stuff from the game as an "expanded universe". I see it as Toyotaro being consistent with the continuity. Which is why he shouldn't have depicted Toei's Yadorat. Then again, their design wasn't the one that got more focus, so one could argue they were there just for the fanservice or something.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pmFirstly - how do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story? Do you enjoy them overall, or would you rather see them left in the media in which they were first conceived? Are you okay with seeing these ideas show up in principle, or would you rather they stopped?
In the case of Broly, I'd rather see him left in the media in which he was first conceived. Not just him, all movie villains (with the exception of Janemba). If you want to mess with movie villains, use the damn alternate dimension concept and bring them through a portal or something. There's really no need for reboot at all, use the characters the way they are.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pmSecondly - are there any ideas currently out there in the Dragon Ball 'Expanded Universe' - whether in movies, the anime, games, or even 'non-main storyline' manga - that you think you would enjoy seeing used in the main story? It doesn't have to be a big thing, and it also doesn't necessarily have to be used the same way as when it was first introduced (just like Broly wasn't), but if it isn't, it'd be cool if you'd sketch out how you'd like to see it realised.
The Dragon Balls scattering through different realities is a great concept (which is why it was first introduced in a game). Dabura being Towa's brother is a nice excuse to use him (properly) and explore the Demon Realm. Like I usually say, Janemba is basically a DC/Marvel character in Dragon Ball, so he should get more development (whether it be his Movie 12's version or a reboot it wouldn't matter to me), he also brings tons of possibilities if they could keep his amazing techniques. More of Android 21 could be nice. I think there are more ideas but these ones are what I can remember now off the top of my head.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

I like the use of these ideas so long as the staff involved do.

Personally, I want to see some more ideas from Online adapted, like Gokuu and Vegeta's final battle (albeit with more story wrapped around), Gohan writing books about ki and the such.

I think bringing in Kurialien would be cool, too. What if Kuririn was cloned and then only he could defeat this foe?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm

Firstly - how do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story? Do you enjoy them overall, or would you rather see them left in the media in which they were first conceived? Are you okay with seeing these ideas show up in principle, or would you rather they stopped?
Honestly yes, I'm pleased to see these ideas in the main story/canon/whatever.
Secondly - are there any ideas currently out there in the Dragon Ball 'Expanded Universe' - whether in movies, the anime, games, or even 'non-main storyline' manga - that you think you would enjoy seeing used in the main story? It doesn't have to be a big thing, and it also doesn't necessarily have to be used the same way as when it was first introduced (just like Broly wasn't), but if it isn't, it'd be cool if you'd sketch out how you'd like to see it realised.
That's hard to answer. We have some good ideas in the games, GT and movies, but at the same I feel like some of these ideas work well just because they aren't in the main story.

I don't think I want to see game stuff in the canon, at least for now. A new version of Baby sounds interesting, and some movie villains in the main story would be nice.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm Firstly - how do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story?
I'm against external content compromising decisions like with the inclusion of filler Yardrats. Aside from that, I really just consider Tori's DB, so I don't mind if it's totally new or a remake.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm Secondly - are there any ideas currently out there in the Dragon Ball 'Expanded Universe' that you think you would enjoy seeing used in the main story?
I really want Neko Majin Z to appear (and Beelzebub, maybe); not just as a gag special, but in the canon, like with Arale.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm Firstly - how do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story? Do you enjoy them overall, or would you rather see them left in the media in which they were first conceived? Are you okay with seeing these ideas show up in principle, or would you rather they stopped?

1.) I enjoy it if it is implemented well in the current context of the story. Many of the fighters in the ToP being references to movie villains wasn't really the best use. But maybe if we knew more about the characters it would work better.

2.) I want to see more Dragon Ball Online content. I liked seeing Tien start his martial arts school, but would like this to have more of a focus rather than being background noise in a recruitment episodes. Or seeing Gohan show more of an interest in the science of martial arts and maybe using that in ways that elevate his fights and personality.

I also always wanted the movie villains to be made canon. I heard a rumor way back when, when Kai was first coming out that they were doing this and that made me excited, the prospect of characters like Turles, Garlic Jr, and Cooler being better introduced into the story is something I still want to see but in many ways characters like Goku Black, Frost, and Moro take away their shine.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 am

I would love to see more stuff from the games, movies, and GT. I can imagine a Super 17 reboot where Android 21 puts Dr. Gero's contingency plan into motion. I can totally see Pikkon or Cooler coming back.

I consider Dragon Ball Super in itself to be expanded universe. Just as George Lucas was involved in The Clone Wars expanded universe show and movie. I have no idea how involved Toriyama even is. How detailed or vague his notes are. It could be just a few notes and designs, just like he would supply with the movies and GT. If he's just supplying outlines and not writing and illustrating it himself, his involvement doesn't seem that much greater than it was in Dragon Ball Online and Yo Goku and His Friends Return. Are we greatly overstating his involvement?

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 am

In principle, I'm several magnitudes more concerned about Super's execution of ideas rather than any of the franchise's (or even Super's own) ideas themselves, but I'll try my best to look outside of that personal framework for the purpose of this topic:

I'm generally thoroughly apathetic when it comes to almost any movie antagonist, but I was enamored with Toriyama reimagining Broly into a character that fits closer to his sensibilities. Villains like Janemba, Bojack, Tullece, etc. are so fundamentally uninteresting to me that I couldn't care less about seeing them in, for lack of a better word, "canon" material. I could probably have made an exception for Cooler if this whole film remake concept wasn't already extended to Broly in 2018, but it was. Seems like it would be a lot better to keep the series feeling fresh with new baddies.

I have an even stronger distaste for Toei's exclusive transformations, including Super Saiyan 4, that I definitely wouldn't care for seeing those adapted in Super either; I've delved on that more in other threads, so I'll spare everyone the long-winded rant in this one.

People brought up more Online content and Neko Majin. I agree with those two, honestly. It's probably just two out of a select few things I would genuinely feel invested in seeing in some form, and only because I think they're intriguing and suitable for Dragon Ball's universe in their own right.

So the best answer I can give is that while I'm not wholly opposed to most of those external ideas making their way to DBS in some capacity, I'm not terribly enthused about them either. I like how the Broly film did it even just in theory, but that and DB Online are probably where the buck stops for me.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pmHow do you feel about the use of these extra ideas in the main story?

Do you enjoy them overall, or would you rather see them left in the media in which they were first conceived?

Are you okay with seeing these ideas show up in principle, or would you rather they stopped?

Are there any ideas currently out there in the Dragon Ball 'Expanded Universe' that you think you would enjoy seeing used in the main story?
I think it's a waste of time for both the fans and the staff involved.

Super's Broly was an enjoyable movie, a good one even, but it didn't offer anything I didn't see in the 1993 original. If I want to watch Broly, Cooler, Freeza, etc., I 'll just watch the material the originated in. I'd rather see Broly's breathtaking visuals on a new concept instead.

I think they should've stopped year ago. If you're going to bring a franchise back form the dead, then at least do something new with it. We've gotten 3 new movies, 2 of which are just reused concepts from the past. Why not follow in BOG's footsteps (the story that started this revival) and focus on original content ?

The concept of moving the story away from the current cast that was seen in Online is a good one, as the current cast have given us everything they can offer. Now, it doesn't have to be a 200+ years in the future kind of sequel, but rather a next gen one being trained by the likes of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, etc.
Peach wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 amAre we greatly overstating his involvement?
Yes, it's far less than his fanboys would have you believe, and all you'd have to do is read some of his recent interviews and comments to see that. It's definitely more than it was with GT and the old movies, as all he did was give some designs and review the stories. now though, he's involved directly in the writing, but his role has become more of a guide to realizing others' ideas, rather than his own. With Broly for example, it was an idea his editors wanted, so he took the ideas they wanted in the movie and put them together himself. It's more than what he did for GT and the movies, but far less than it what he did in the original manga. His contribution to the BOG movie is as close as we'll get to his manga days, as that seems to be the only project that he was willing to come up with from the ground up. Sure the concepts were already there when he got involved, but the finished version is nothing like what was presented to him.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am

1) I'm mostly neutral to the idea at the moment because -

2) My thing is the Tree of Might. A seed that when planted will kill everyone on a planet when sprouting as a Tree, with the Fruit giving the eater large amounts of power and is apparently fit for the Gods? If that's not worthy of a God of Destruction worthy canon welding I don't know what is.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:01 am

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am 2) My thing is the Tree of Might. A seed that when planted will kill everyone on a planet when sprouting as a Tree, with the Fruit giving the eater large amounts of power and is apparently fit for the Gods? If that's not worthy of a God of Destruction worthy canon welding I don't know what is.
Funny you should say that because that's basically what's been going on in the current Heroes storyline, complete with all the Hakaishin showing up to prevent it.

It's nowhere near as cool as it sounds though.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Just to throw my own take into it, I guess I agree with those saying they're either neutral or that it'd be contingent on how the idea is used. I've been happy enough with what's been used so far, but obviously using an established idea over a new one isn't necessarily better, just quicker.

I'd read the Super Dragon Ball Heroes Dark Demon Realm Mission manga volumes over the weekend, which is really what put the topic's question in mind - I was (with caveats) intrigued by some of the general ideas bouncing about in the arc: a view of the Demon Realm riven by a civil war between Demon Gods (Makaioshin?) had some appeal, and the demon character relationships and designs seemed generally serviceable (though the 'Demon God' forms seemed a little bit too much, like they were trying to form a Kiss tribute act). I assume, not having played it, that much of the content came from the game in the first place.

In sum, I'd thought, "I could see some of this in Super and enjoy it, maybe, but not like that." I guess this feeds a little bit into older topics about what people would like to see next in Super (I think a Demon Realm arc often came up in the past as a suggestion, just sticking with this particular example).

So, to actually answer my own questions in the topic:

1. I'm okay with the things I've seen so far, and I don't have any principled objection to seeing more of it; really, though, execution is everything. In fact, I'd probably say that extra world-building detail, small or otherwise, has been among the most appealing developments from 'Modern Dragon Ball', so I'd be happy to have it in principle, even from other media.

It can't really be forced, though - if they were to move more concepts from other media into Super in the future, I think I'd probably have some problem if it were just a straight transposition without making any modifications to its approach, unless it were a really small thing (like just a cute nod) - I wouldn't want to see, for instance, Movie or GT characters showing up in Super just like they were in their 'home' medium.

2. Like others have said, some of the Online stuff would be good to put in, or else work towards dovetailing with - it's not all gold, but one little tidbit I like, for instance, is the idea that Karin's Tower is really a tree that is continually clad with stone by the villagers at its base. I'd be happy to see that actually be a thing. There are probably a number of throwaway small things that I'd enjoy seeing sprinkled offhand through Super in the future, without needing to think too hard about it.

More substantial things would need correspondingly substantial reworking as an element in some other original concept, I think, to really work, but given what I've said already (and keeping it general for the time being), there are a number of things existing elsewhere that I could see myself enjoying in Super; I guess more would depend on the broader vista they were appearing as part of.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:01 am
FoolsGil wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am 2) My thing is the Tree of Might. A seed that when planted will kill everyone on a planet when sprouting as a Tree, with the Fruit giving the eater large amounts of power and is apparently fit for the Gods? If that's not worthy of a God of Destruction worthy canon welding I don't know what is.
Funny you should say that because that's basically what's been going on in the current Heroes storyline, complete with all the Hakaishin showing up to prevent it.

It's nowhere near as cool as it sounds though.
The Moro saga is basically that. He "feeds" on planets.

Literally growing a tree and eating the fruit off it is too similar to Naruto/Boruto and the ōtsutsuki's imo

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm Dragon Ball Online is meant to follow the original manga, so I don't see Toyotaro using stuff from the game as an "expanded universe". I see it as Toyotaro being consistent with the continuity.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm Personally, I want to see some more ideas from Online adapted, like Gokuu and Vegeta's final battle (albeit with more story wrapped around), Gohan writing books about ki and the such.
BWri wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 amI want to see more Dragon Ball Online content. I liked seeing Tien start his martial arts school, but would like this to have more of a focus rather than being background noise in a recruitment episodes. Or seeing Gohan show more of an interest in the science of martial arts and maybe using that in ways that elevate his fights and personality.
The Undying wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 amPeople brought up more Online content and Neko Majin. I agree with those two, honestly. It's probably just two out of a select few things I would genuinely feel invested in seeing in some form, and only because I think they're intriguing and suitable for Dragon Ball's universe in their own right.
So, seeing a lot of support for Dragon Ball Online being used in Super (and mentioned it myself), but obviously Dragon Ball Online was conceived, written (and shut down) before Super even started - so obviously, some of Super's concepts (most particularly, the universes and deities, etc.) have moved the main story on in certain respects.

So, would those in favour of a greater Online presence in the story just prefer a selective incorporation of various details that remain compatible (to whatever extent) with what Super's shown us so far, or would you actively prefer that Super starts making moves more towards ideas used in DB Online's backstory? To phrase it more basically, how much DBO would you want in your DBS?

Speaking for myself, there's various little details I'd like to see from DBO (as I indicated), but all the Timebreaker stuff, as such, is something I could do without; it all sounds a bit dull, frankly. Ditto for another destruction of Namek, especially since the Moro arc happened. I'd love to see Buu create Miss Buu and have a kid - the story sounds like Toriyama silliness to a 'T' - but I'd like the Majin line to stop there (I get they wanted them for a playable race in the game, but I'd rather not see such an expansion in a story). So, a fair amount of the minor detail, but not so much the key plot concepts, for me.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm To phrase it more basically, how much DBO would you want in your DBS?
Probably not much. I should have been clearer, but my interest in Online doesn't go much further than a few very specific ideas. Toriyama's Yardratian design is already one example of something implemented into the DBS manga, and I think there are a few other concepts that would fit Super's tone very well.

And to be even more specific, I'm just talking about Super's manga (or movies, provided Toriyama writes them). At this point, I couldn't care less what the TV anime does.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:40 pm

The Undying wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:19 pm Probably not much. I should have been clearer, but my interest in Online doesn't go much further than a few very specific ideas. Toriyama's Yardratian design is already one example of something implemented into the DBS manga, and I think there are a few other concepts that would fit Super's tone very well.
I think your use of the word 'tone' hits the nail on the head for where I'm coming from when I say I'd happily incorporate various incidental details from DBO, but not much of plot relevance - Super, for me, seems to have quite a bright, shiny, empowered tone with broadened vistas and new challenges, at least when compared with DBO, which seems to have more of a down-at-heel, 'the heroes of old are dead and gone and we live in times of trouble' kind of vibe, which obviously necessitates a number of moves in its backstory to bring this about. I don't think they'd gel so well.
The Undying wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:19 pmAnd to be even more specific, I'm just talking about Super's manga (or movies, provided Toriyama writes them). At this point, I couldn't care less what the TV anime does.
That's definitely fair enough - to be honest, the manga tends to be the unspoken assumption in pretty much all of my posts on Super, and definitely was for this topic, since it's the only regular vehicle for the series (again, as you say, with the caveat of Toriyama-penned movies, but then they're not so regular).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pmSo, would those in favour of a greater Online presence in the story just prefer a selective incorporation of various details that remain compatible (to whatever extent) with what Super's shown us so far, or would you actively prefer that Super starts making moves more towards ideas used in DB Online's backstory? To phrase it more basically, how much DBO would you want in your DBS?
I'd replace Dragon Ball Super entirely in favor of Dragon Ball Online.

If that's not possible, then the latter is fine. I'd prefer Dragon Ball Super to move towards Dragon Ball Online, directly taking plot points, characters and etc. Making changes where necessary if, for example, they don't want it to take place in the far future. Basically an adaptation would be enough.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pmDitto for another destruction of Namek, especially since the Moro arc happened.
Is it permanent, though? Because the destruction of Namekusei in Dragon Ball Online is and that leads to the Namekuseijin people having to migrate to Earth. Depending on how things play out, it's best to stick with the game's version, considering it causes great(er) impact overall. Then again, since Moro saga hasn't finished yet, we don't know what will happen to them.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pmI'd love to see Buu create Miss Buu and have a kid - the story sounds like Toriyama silliness to a 'T' - but I'd like the Majin line to stop there (I get they wanted them for a playable race in the game, but I'd rather not see such an expansion in a story). So, a fair amount of the minor detail, but not so much the key plot concepts, for me.
As I mentioned above, I'd prefer to keep everything, and that includes Dragon Ball Online ending, which I think it's the best one. Every tidbit established was interesting and fitting for the characters. Having a Majin race is a welcome expansion within the Earth's limits. While some people want Goten, Trunks and Pan for a new generation, this would allow for a Majin to also be actively part of the gang or something. Could be very interesting (especially because apparently we can't have it with Majin Buu himself).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:25 pm

Just remake the Hearts arc again in Super 2.0 so I can have Zamasu back.

God, I miss him so much.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:15 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm So, would those in favour of a greater Online presence in the story just prefer a selective incorporation of various details that remain compatible (to whatever extent) with what Super's shown us so far, or would you actively prefer that Super starts making moves more towards ideas used in DB Online's backstory? To phrase it more basically, how much DBO would you want in your DBS?
Good question! I'd definitely prefer to cherry pick certain aspects from it, basically everything from the opening paragraph of story lore:
Dragon Ball Wiki wrote: Dragon Ball Online is set in Age 1000, exactly 216 years after Goku left the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament to train Uub in Age 784 at the end of Dragon Ball Z. During this period of time, a number of notable events have occurred; Majin Buu created a wife called Miss Buu, and they soon have a son, thus the start of the Majin race on Earth; Namekians have fled to Earth after Mira attacked and destroyed New Namek. Meanwhile, on Earth, many Earthlings have taken up advanced martial arts; some have trained under Krillin's revived New Turtle School, Tien Shinhan's re-established New Crane School, and Goten and Trunks' new Kikoukenjutsu Sword School; schools made popular due to Gohan's book, which explained ki control and martial arts to the public. King Kai also taught the populace of Earth (Humans and Namekians) the Kaio-ken technique, and Majins have managed to mimic it. Also, what appear to be Yardrat have appeared in the Southern Galaxy, and most recently, a gulf formed in time.
It would be cool to slowly lay the groundwork for a future series set in the "Online" universe. Basically, they've started with Tien already, so just slowly have everyone end up in the place where they are set to be in DBO. Gohan's scholarly study of fighting would even be a great additional element to his current character and could make his fights a lot more unique.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pmSpeaking for myself, there's various little details I'd like to see from DBO (as I indicated), but all the Timebreaker stuff, as such, is something I could do without; it all sounds a bit dull, frankly. Ditto for another destruction of Namek, especially since the Moro arc happened.
I agree 100% and was going to mention it above. All the time travel (fanservice) shenanigans I can do without. To a degree, it undermines the current story. A big dumb Timebreaker arc would perhaps be cool, but leaning too hard into those elements makes things messy, convoluted, and unfocused. You could also switch out Mira for Moro in that statement and nothing would change :lol: . Their names are so similar that most people won't even notice.

I think stripping out most of the MMO-esque elements and storylines would be the best way to go if a full-on DBO story arc were to rollout.
I'd love to see Buu create Miss Buu and have a kid - the story sounds like Toriyama silliness to a 'T' - but I'd like the Majin line to stop there (I get they wanted them for a playable race in the game, but I'd rather not see such an expansion in a story). So, a fair amount of the minor detail, but not so much the key plot concepts, for me.
This is a wonderfully silly and creepy Toriyama touch so I'd love to see it. I also wouldn't mind Majins being a race as long as they are still rare to find. They should likely be the lowest population to keep them special, and hopefully they are nerfed to some degree, otherwise I'd agree with keeping them out of the story.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:13 am

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:15 am
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm So, would those in favour of a greater Online presence in the story just prefer a selective incorporation of various details that remain compatible (to whatever extent) with what Super's shown us so far, or would you actively prefer that Super starts making moves more towards ideas used in DB Online's backstory? To phrase it more basically, how much DBO would you want in your DBS?
Good question! I'd definitely prefer to cherry pick certain aspects from it, basically everything from the opening paragraph of story lore:
Dragon Ball Wiki wrote: Dragon Ball Online is set in Age 1000, exactly 216 years after Goku left the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament to train Uub in Age 784 at the end of Dragon Ball Z. During this period of time, a number of notable events have occurred; Majin Buu created a wife called Miss Buu, and they soon have a son, thus the start of the Majin race on Earth; Namekians have fled to Earth after Mira attacked and destroyed New Namek. Meanwhile, on Earth, many Earthlings have taken up advanced martial arts; some have trained under Krillin's revived New Turtle School, Tien Shinhan's re-established New Crane School, and Goten and Trunks' new Kikoukenjutsu Sword School; schools made popular due to Gohan's book, which explained ki control and martial arts to the public. King Kai also taught the populace of Earth (Humans and Namekians) the Kaio-ken technique, and Majins have managed to mimic it. Also, what appear to be Yardrat have appeared in the Southern Galaxy, and most recently, a gulf formed in time.
It would be cool to slowly lay the groundwork for a future series set in the "Online" universe. Basically, they've started with Tien already, so just slowly have everyone end up in the place where they are set to be in DBO. Gohan's scholarly study of fighting would even be a great additional element to his current character and could make his fights a lot more unique.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pmSpeaking for myself, there's various little details I'd like to see from DBO (as I indicated), but all the Timebreaker stuff, as such, is something I could do without; it all sounds a bit dull, frankly. Ditto for another destruction of Namek, especially since the Moro arc happened.
I agree 100% and was going to mention it above. All the time travel (fanservice) shenanigans I can do without. To a degree, it undermines the current story. A big dumb Timebreaker arc would perhaps be cool, but leaning too hard into those elements makes things messy, convoluted, and unfocused. You could also switch out Mira for Moro in that statement and nothing would change :lol: . Their names are so similar that most people won't even notice.

I think stripping out most of the MMO-esque elements and storylines would be the best way to go if a full-on DBO story arc were to rollout.
Yeah, I can't stand the time-travel elements of DBO that perforated the rest of the story-based games such as Heroes and Xenoverse. It feels like Bandai Namco's devs took all the wrong lessons when adapting elements from DBO into their own games and put most of the focus on all the least interesting elements of an otherwise awesome premise. If they still want to incorporate Namekians, they could just say a few of them migrated to Earth for any number of reasons.

I feel like Gohan's ultimate purpose is to eventually educate the world on ki control -- it's the pay-off for all his years of valuing studying over martial arts.
I'd love to see Buu create Miss Buu and have a kid - the story sounds like Toriyama silliness to a 'T' - but I'd like the Majin line to stop there (I get they wanted them for a playable race in the game, but I'd rather not see such an expansion in a story). So, a fair amount of the minor detail, but not so much the key plot concepts, for me.
This is a wonderfully silly and creepy Toriyama touch so I'd love to see it. I also wouldn't mind Majins being a race as long as they are still rare to find. They should likely be the lowest population to keep them special, and hopefully they are nerfed to some degree, otherwise I'd agree with keeping them out of the story.
Since the Majins are basically a race of inbreds, each generation is weaker than the last. That was how they kept it sort-of balanced.