Should the next arc focus on old characters/z fighters or new characters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Should the next arc focus on old characters/z fighters or new characters?

Post by DevilKing99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Basically the title, since the Moro arc is very close to ending at this point.

Should the next arc stay in U7 focusing on the old characters or should leave U7 and focus on characters from a different universe?

My answer is new characters, but what does everybody else think here?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Should the next arc focus on old characters/z fighters or new characters?

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:58 pm

I'd like to learn more about the erased universes, so new all the way.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:38 pm

A mix of new and old is fine, but only bring in old characters if there is anything good to bring out of them.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Both

From the old characters i want to see Piccolo, Gohan and the androids keep on fighting and not retiring. These characters were done dirty in the Buu arc so it's nice to see them being treated somewhat well in Super and I hope that this will continue.

As for the new characters, I would love to see Hit, the universe 6 saiyans and namekians, Magetta, Broly, the Pride Troopers, hell even Ribrianne to get some more screentime and fight scenes.

but we all know that the main focuses are always going to be Goku and Vegeta no matter what.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I hope they will focus on the new characters that were brought in during the Tournament of Power like Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Hit, Jiren and others, they need development and more fighting.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 am

They should bring back Cell and give him a new form!

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 am

No, they should focus on Goku.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:27 am

Both, but also neither.
At the moment, the cast is seriously bloated, and there's in particular a lot of "old" characters that really do not need to be brought back into the action again and again. As we saw earlier on in the Moro arc, most of the Z Fighters were only brought into the story because of Moro having a small army of prisoners who all attacked Earth, a plot point which didn't really serve any purpose. Ideally, the next arc would not have any of that kind of "fanservice", meaning that characters such as 17, 18, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yamcha and Roshi would be left alone. At the same time, though, having Goku and Vegeta be the only "old" characters present in the arc can end up being too far in the other direction, causing the cast of the arc to feel empty.
As far as "new" characters go, I'd define that as both characters introduced during the Super portion of the story and next-gen characters who haven't had much of a chance to shine yet. In both cases, plenty of these characters could use some focus and development, so it could be a great idea to include them in the arc. However, the more "new" characters and fewer "old" characters you have, the more unfamiliar the cast will be to the audience, and that's a risky move. Many fans would be uninterested in an arc that only features Goku, Vegeta and "some nobodies", and considering how Super has been written so far, that lack of interest doesn't seem to be trivial.
In short, there's a pretty delicate balance of new and old that needs to be struck.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:27 pm

If there is another saga, I really think they should wrap up the Beerus-Goku rivalry and the Frieza-Broly stories.

The series has been in limbo between Buu and the End of Z for far too long. It's time to bring in Uub and Pan.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Promotional viability and intrigue in the character's sub-plot seem like necessary elements to consider when bringing a new cast member onto the team for an arc. Toriyama and his protege were able to successfully execute it in the Future Trunks arc as the namesake was a beloved favourite from the heyday of DBZ classic. Can the same truly be said of anyone from Super exclusive? You could make the argument for the notable faces of Universe 6 like Hit and the Saiyans. Toyotaro could always call in that plot point established far back in the Champa arc of having Vegeta visit Planet Sadala.

Alruneia expressed the sentiment best, though. A balance needs to be maintained between old and new. If you exclusivise a story thread to just Goku and Vegeta with bland contemporaries of Super then you may be wading through some potentially turbulent waters. Old familiar faces like Gohan and Piccolo's are beloved and, from how I see it, desired. Much could be done with their own characters to intertwine them in the plot as was done in the classic arcs of Z. Admittedly the human fan in me would like to see the humans be offered a hand up but that doesn't appear all too likely unless it's another tournament or nemesis arc with disposable henchmen fodder for them to be placed against.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:29 am

For me, an arc about the sadala planet.
They can do everything: let broly join the fight, add new sayans,more about the legend of the first super sayan god, more about the Lss, frost with a new trasformation, a new member of the frost race (maybe his father or brother), evil sayans, cumber, caulifla/kale/kefla/cabba ss3, new races (tsufuru ecc), gohan with a new strong transformation ecc.
Alternatively, an arc about other universes/angels/hit/jiren.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:31 am

Should focus on peaceful times, Goku not seeing the others for a while, and finally getting past EoZ.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:07 am

I wish they would continue the throughline started in the Buu saga, and picked up again for the Tournament of Power: Make Gohan leader of "The Z Fighters," with Piccolo as his advisor/personal trainer/right hand.

Goku and Vegeta go off into the multiverse and have wild space adventures with Gods and Angels, but meanwhile, on Earth Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, 17 & 18, Tien, Chaotzu, Yamcha, Goten and Trunks, and sometimes even Bulma and Master Roshi take care of threats on their own. Have Gohan and Piccolo continue training together. Have them train the other Z-Fighters! Stop having Moro-level threats come to earth and leaving them all helpless until Goku and/or Vegeta can put their multiversal adventures on hold and save them. Give them stuff to do apart from Goku and Vegeta that they can handle, while continuing to improve, on Earth.

They could have their cake and eat it too, giving us the Goku and Vegeta show if that's what they want while still giving the fans something else just as entertaining, but it's like the writers just do not care about the Z-Fighters except as fodder to be saved by Goku and Vegeta. Or they have no idea how to write them, or they just don't have any inspiration left for Earth-based adventures. Idk. But it definitely could work and I don't know why they haven't even tried.

Spin it out into its own manga if they feel they must, that's fine, but people would read it I'm sure. Hmm... what would you call it? :think:
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 am

I'm not even a fan of Goten and Kid Trunks and even I think that they're massively underutilized. I always think of how good Gon and Killua of HxH are written which makes me lament the handling of Goten and Trunks. I think something should be done with them while they're still very young. Give Goku and Vegeta a rest for an arc, most of the other cast too and focus on the development of Goten and Trunks for just a simple mini-arc. If Vegeta does visit Sadala, I'd rather he take these two for a Saiyan history lesson of sorts/adventure, rather than Goku.

Also, I'm not sure how the humans intervening during an invasion of powerful aliens could be considered fanservice. That's one of the strangest complaints I've been seeing lately. If they didn't show up, it would just be weird and out of character.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 pm

I'm not even a Goten fan, but seeing some direction with the character would be nice.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HulkTySSJ4

Post by HulkTySSJ4 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:41 am

So much potential:
Erased universes
Universe 11
Universe 6
Bits of other surviving universes
More Broly
Introducing Canon Cooler
Introducing another canon version of an old movie character
Introducing a new form when UI isn't available
Introducing a new fusion method (like the armband in the Fusion video game)
Relevant power up for Piccolo, Gohan, 17, and/or Tien (Piccolo and Tien please)
Return of Cell
Anime adaptation of returning Cell Jrs.
Freeza's plans with Broly and how to deal with fusion and UI
Bardock stuff
Goten and Trunks FINALLY getting bigger
Pan's training
Peace time with aging young characters
Uub
Stuff after Goku and Uub leave
Canon versions of GT characters
SSJ4's design despite being called SS4 or not

Etc etc

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:50 am

Following new characters would not work, the old characters are the ones that draws, if Dragon Ball was boxing Goku would be Muhammed Ali and Vegeta would be Joe Frazier, Goku and Vegeta can carry a movie, Goten and Trunks can not.

DBPirate

Post by DBPirate » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:15 pm

The original post seems to imply that our options are either focusing on Universe 7 and the original cast or a totally new cast in a different universe. I don't think the latter has a chance of happening at all (nor would I want it to) but I don't see why we can't have both old and new characters like we have in every other saga up to this point.
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 am

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 amI always think of how good Gon and Killua of HxH are written which makes me lament the handling of Goten and Trunks.

If Vegeta does visit Sadala, I'd rather he take these two for a Saiyan history lesson of sorts/adventure, rather than Goku.
I don't think it's a fair comparison, as Gon and Killua are the main characters of HXH, while Goten and Trunks are side characters.

I'd love to see that, as the Goku and Vegeta dynamic at this point is getting really old. Unfortunately, the idea of removing Goku from the plot is as likely as pig flaying, even less so in fact.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 am
BWri wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 amI always think of how good Gon and Killua of HxH are written which makes me lament the handling of Goten and Trunks.

If Vegeta does visit Sadala, I'd rather he take these two for a Saiyan history lesson of sorts/adventure, rather than Goku.
I don't think it's a fair comparison, as Gon and Killua are the main characters of HXH, while Goten and Trunks are side characters.

I'd love to see that, as the Goku and Vegeta dynamic at this point is getting really old. Unfortunately, the idea of removing Goku from the plot is as likely as pig flaying, even less so in fact.
True, though even when they were side characters in Yorknew, they still had infinitely more to do than Goten and Trunks. And it's an easy comparison for me to make because Gon and Killua are already very similar to Goku and Krillin's friendship in DB. Out of all three pairings Goten and Trunks is the weakest. I think any amount of screen time, even minimally could have fixed this, but they opted to ignore Goten in particular completely.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-