My apologies, Toyotaro

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MechaTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Re: My apologies, Toyotaro

Post by MechaTrunks » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:40 am

Trouser wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm The concept is great, but execution is soooo bad. Come on, Roshi dodging Jiren's fists? It's impossible even if Jiren were to use 5% of his power. Old geezer should be dead or knocked out. Hell (or HFIL hehe), in OG DB he said he was surpassed by younger warriors.
It would work, but not against Jiren. It shuld be someone wayyyy weaker than Jiren. I don't know... Maybe Vege... I mean, that flying little guy form u11? I forgot the names of these characters.
You forget that in the ToP killing was forbidden! It doesn't matter how strong Jiren was, he had to fight at a level where he wouldn't kill Roshi by mistake.
The whole point of that scene is that Roshi, thanks to his extremely polished movements, manages to do so well against Jiren even when Jiren is clearly much stronger and he shouldn't be able to do anything (even restraining his strength not to kill Roshi).
That's why Goku can see Roshi's movements even in his base state and get inspired by him, something that wouldn't be possible in any other context besides a Tournament where killing is explicitly prohibited.
Trouser wrote: I think Goku will be pissed off for one panel but he's eventually going to calm himself down (UI is all about calmness). Then he'll awaken Mastered Ultra Instinct (I don't really like this name...). Let's hope Moro won't gain another asspull powerup...
Let's see how this develops, until now everytime I've had something bad to say about the manga he has managed to shut me up in the following chapters!

Regards!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm

It's also the moment in which Super (the manga) really tries to reckon with one of Dragon Ball's biggest fucking problem: the power creep.

I loved that moment that actually allows Roshi to go "yeah Goku is beast--but don't forget who taught him."

MechaTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by MechaTrunks » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm It's also the moment in which Super (the manga) really tries to reckon with one of Dragon Ball's biggest fucking problem: the power creep.

I loved that moment that actually allows Roshi to go "yeah Goku is beast--but don't forget who taught him."
I don't agree with this. The manga manages to build a scenario that justifies Roshi having that scene, but it's still very respectful of the power scaling of the series.
Dragon Ball's manga going "fuck the power scales" would be the worst for me, like watching DB:GT or DB:Super's anime: I simply can't enjoy them because of how badly written their power-scale is!

Regards!

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 pm

MechaTrunks wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm It's also the moment in which Super (the manga) really tries to reckon with one of Dragon Ball's biggest fucking problem: the power creep.

I don't agree with this. The manga manages to build a scenario that justifies Roshi having that scene, but it's still very respectful of the power scaling of the series.
Dragon Ball's manga going "fuck the power scales" would be the worst for me, like watching DB:GT or DB:Super's anime: I simply can't enjoy them because of how badly written their power-scale is!

Regards!
I think Kemuri just means that this is the moment where Dragon Ball starts to get off the treadmill of 'bigger ki power' as the answer to the threat presented by the mightiest foes by using a form that emphasises something different. I don't think Kemuri's trying to say that it ignores power-scaling when it does this.

MechaTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by MechaTrunks » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:35 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 pm I think Kemuri just means that this is the moment where Dragon Ball starts to get off the treadmill of 'bigger ki power' as the answer to the threat presented by the mightiest foes by using a form that emphasises something different. I don't think Kemuri's trying to say that it ignores power-scaling when it does this.
Yes, if he said it in that sense then I agree with him.
Those concepts that are used to explain the UI had already been used in DB to justify an increase in power, but they never had the weight to justify a new form just by themselves and were fairly secondary in the gran scheme of things.

I also like the fact that DBS has brought them back.

Regards!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 pm
MechaTrunks wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Regards!
I think Kemuri just means that this is the moment where Dragon Ball starts to get off the treadmill of 'bigger ki power' as the answer to the threat presented by the mightiest foes by using a form that emphasises something different. I don't think Kemuri's trying to say that it ignores power-scaling when it does this.
For the most part, yes. I look at something like Hunter X Hunter and one of the things I love about that show is how it stresses technique and strategy since, even late into the anime, Gon and Killua are not the strongest characters in that show. The problem with DB is that the key to pretty much everything is Goku and Vegeta brute-forcing themselves into some new form and then trashing the bad guys. The fact that Roshi outright admonishes Goku for doing the thing that DB became infamous for was great.

It's one of the many reasons why I enjoy the manga much, much more than the anime.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Love Toyataro's work. It's impressive how he's already done 64 chapters for Super. Hope it continues for many more years. So many places to explore and stories to look into for the Dragon World. :D

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:37 am

I will join in the praise: Toyotaro’s work as of lately has been spectacular.

I am enjoying the manga a lot each month, and he’s on an incredible streak of awesome chapters.
I have been very critical of his work in the past, and many times rightfully so. But after re-reading his manga a few times, I have found that most of the things which used to bother me no longer do.

And I am incredibly happy to say that Toyotaro’s art and storyboarding have evolved a lot for the better. I hope he will keep on delivering such quality content. As of now, I wouldn’t want anyone else besides Toriyama to work on Dragon Ball Super’s manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical