Why hasn't Moro gone after Broly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Why hasn't Moro gone after Broly?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:11 pm

If his minions are scouring the universe in search of strong ki sources, you'd figure that Broly would be near the top of the list. Is planet Vampa really so out of the way that they can't find it?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why hasn't Moro gone after Broly?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 pm

It's purely plot convenience. Shueisha sayeth, Toyo-tarou doeth.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 am

Its the same reason why no one ever sensed Broly's Ki in the first place, I guess. As far back as the middle of DBZ, someone like Perfect Cell could be detected across the galaxy by the Namekians but Broly's Ki somehow never showed up on anyone's radar. I guess Vampa is just that remote and that Broly had no reason to power up to any higher than early-DBZ levels until he finally appeared in-story.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:46 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:11 pm Is planet Vampa really so out of the way that they can't find it?
Yes that is the general implication. Keep in mind in a universe where there's galactic patrol and scouters Broly and Paragus were left waiting 40 years on Vampa for anyone to find them.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:30 am

Ignoring the out-of-universe rationale of simply not wanting to involve Broly in the arc:
  • Vampa is horribly remote, and on record as having no sentient life.
  • Moro's minions are not expert martial artists nor otherwise attuned readers of ki.
  • Broly doesn't have any particular need to output his full power during daily life. He's a strong guy, but his Beerus-level power-up has happened, to date, once.

FishermanJohnWest
Beyond Newbie

Post by FishermanJohnWest » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 am

Cause they don't want him to be involved in the arc

Simple

HulkTySSJ4

Post by HulkTySSJ4 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 am

Others said it.
Plot.
Dragon Ball is made to be extremely simple for children.
More thinking and logic is for serious series. Something like Re:Zero is a great example, as one that keeps making a mistake has multiple chances to go back and try things differently till it works out just right.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm

What if Broly killed the scouts? I don't know, I didn't follow the arc? what were scouts just looking for super strong people? He was last seen stronger than SSB, so that shouldn't be that hard of a task. And what was the reason for them not going after Freeza?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:02 pm

I doubt they can sense ki and the moment they land on the planet they see giant bugs and worm dogs so yah know not a whole lot of life energy.

The better question is why no one found them for 40 years. Cheelai and Lemo got the Dystres Signal just by flying close to it. You’re telling me no one even got near the planet for 40 years straight?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:02 pmThe better question is why no one found them for 40 years. Cheelai and Lemo got the Dystres Signal just by flying close to it. You’re telling me no one even got near the planet for 40 years straight?
It doesn't seem to be a planet that anyone would be interested in going to.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:01 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:02 pm I doubt they can sense ki and the moment they land on the planet they see giant bugs and worm dogs so yah know not a whole lot of life energy.

The better question is why no one found them for 40 years. Cheelai and Lemo got the Dystres Signal just by flying close to it. You’re telling me no one even got near the planet for 40 years straight?
As said above, the planet is a very remote world that had nothing of value on it. Freeza's Empire was also struggling to maintain itself after Freeza's initial demise so visiting distant, barren worlds was not-at-all a priority.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:12 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 am Its the same reason why no one ever sensed Broly's Ki in the first place, I guess. As far back as the middle of DBZ, someone like Perfect Cell could be detected across the galaxy by the Namekians but Broly's Ki somehow never showed up on anyone's radar. I guess Vampa is just that remote and that Broly had no reason to power up to any higher than early-DBZ levels until he finally appeared in-story.
Isn't Cell being sensed by the Namekians filler?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:22 pm

There is also the question of why Whis didn't know about him when Beerus was looking for the Saiyan God.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Actually, one could argue Whis did know about Broly and Paragus. When they decided to track down the Saiyans, Whis says "most of them are on Earth". It also appears in Kanzenshuu summary. Unless in the Japanese version he instead says "all of them" or similar, but I don't think it's the case.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:46 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pmActually, one could argue Whis did know about Broly and Paragus. When they decided to track down the Saiyans, Whis says "most of them are on Earth". It also appears in Kanzenshuu summary. Unless in the Japanese version he instead says "all of them" or similar, but I don't think it's the case.
Most of them were on earth, as only Goku was away at the time.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:02 pm

I think you can factor Goku in if he were the only Saiyan not on Earth, but there are Paragus, Broly, Tarble and possibly more out there. So I'm sure his "most of them" comes from that, and not specifically Goku.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:58 pm

But if Whis knew about Broly and Paragus why didn't he propose him as a participant for the ToP? Beerus and Shin were actively involved in the recruitment process and were going bonkers when Boo fell asleep. They ended up going to hell to find the 10th member, with Whis even wondering if that would be their salvation or their doom.

And we can discard Whis having any ulterior motives because we've seen him throw a kid angel under the bus to help Earth.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 pm

It's one of those issues we don't have an in-universe explanation and we can do nothing but roll our eyes. When Whis searched for the Saiyans, there's no reason to assume he didn't do a general search, otherwise he already knew that there were Saiyans on Earth and the scene showing him looking at the staff would be pointless. I think he picked Broly, Tarble, Paragus and maybe others along the way but the staff focused on Earth because it's where there were more of them.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 pm It's one of those issues we don't have an in-universe explanation and we can do nothing but roll our eyes. When Whis searched for the Saiyans, there's no reason to assume he didn't do a general search, otherwise he already knew that there were Saiyans on Earth and the scene showing him looking at the staff would be pointless. I think he picked Broly, Tarble, Paragus and maybe others along the way but the staff focused on Earth because it's where there were more of them.
Well, Whis not knowing about him sort of explains it perfectly.