What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:17 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:11 am Because power-creep has always been a heavy element of Dragon Ball. I mentioned earlier how it's bad world-building that Fused Zamasu the supreme god has already been surpassed literally in the following arc by a heavily-suppressed Jiren, but then DBZ also had stupid power creep which ruined world-building. Frieza was the most terrifying villain in the universe once, but then literally in the following arc he would have gotten fodderized by two technologically-modified teenagers. Then we have Perfect Cell, allegedly the most perfect being who can ever exist, who would probably lose to Dabura, a mere underling from the following arc. I suppose DBS is simply following the spirit of its predecessor :o
Ask yourself this.

Has Jiren truly surpassed Zamasu if he can't kill him? Jiren would beat Fused Zamasu around easily of course but would be completely hopeless in return against Infinite Zamasu. Jiren can't win that fight and would die at the end.
That's true but it's still bad world-building, don't you think? I mean this guy Jiren basically surpasses the most powerful Gods in the entire cosmos... by training really hard. And he comes from a random mortal race with no particular genetic trait or anything like that, his family was comprised of shitty villagers who got oneshot by a random demon. The bolded part is the problem. Logically he shouldn't be stronger than the Destroyer Gods and Fused Zamasu (a Kai-Saiyan hybrid), but since this show needs to double down on the power creep, somehow he is. We get to the point that a heavily suppressed Jiren simply charging up his aura somehow makes Beerus freak out.

Skar
I Live Here

Re: What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 amThat's true but it's still bad world-building, don't you think? I mean this guy Jiren basically surpasses the most powerful Gods in the entire cosmos... by training really hard. And he comes from a random mortal race with no particular genetic trait or anything like that, his family was comprised of shitty villagers who got oneshot by a random demon.
The GoDs themselves were mortals at some point so there have to powerful mortals to replace them once they retire. There could be countless martial artists in the multiverse training their whole lives but never surpass the weakest Kaioshin so I think only an exceptional few ever reach the power of a GoD. It might take several million years which could be why their life expectancy is so much longer than a Kaioshin because it's incredibly rare to find a replacement.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 am

Skar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:45 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 amThat's true but it's still bad world-building, don't you think? I mean this guy Jiren basically surpasses the most powerful Gods in the entire cosmos... by training really hard. And he comes from a random mortal race with no particular genetic trait or anything like that, his family was comprised of shitty villagers who got oneshot by a random demon.
The GoDs themselves were mortals at some point so there have to powerful mortals to replace them once they retire. There could be countless martial artists in the multiverse training their whole lives but never surpass the weakest Kaioshin so I think only an exceptional few ever reach the power of a GoD. It might take several million years which could be why their life expectancy is so much longer than a Kaioshin because it's incredibly rare to find a replacement.
Okay, but why is Jiren so strong? I could understand if Broly reached GoD level, since he's a prodigy from a warrior race with untapped potential, but Jiren? We know nothing about his race, but from what was seen in his short flashback, they were a weak and poor species living in huts. How can a member of their species attain such power through training alone? Even Goku couldn't reach divine power merely through training, he needed to perform the God ritual to elevate himself to that level.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 amOkay, but why is Jiren so strong? I could understand if Broly reached GoD level, since he's a prodigy from a warrior race with untapped potential, but Jiren? We know nothing about his race, but from what was seen in his short flashback, they were a weak and poor species living in huts. How can a member of their species attain such power through training alone? Even Goku couldn't reach divine power merely through training, he needed to perform the God ritual to elevate himself to that level.
Yeah I also didn't like how Jiren was a regular mortal and hadn't acquired God ki like Goku, Vegeta, and Toppo. I suppose Jiren might also be a prodigy of his race like Broly and Freeza but it's unlikely we'll learn more about him since he completed his character arc and learned the value of friendship. It's possible Toriyama was out of ideas at the time or busy with the Broly movie and didn't have time to elaborate on Jiren. I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has a clever joke behind some of his recent laziness.

My other theory is that Jiren might be somewhat of a self-parody from Toriyama because the main antagonists usually had crazy reasons why they were so powerful. King Piccolo was God's evil half, Vegeta was the elite Saiyan, Freeza was the mutant alien overlord of the universe, Cell had the DNA of the strongest races, and Buu was the ancient demon that the most powerful gods at the time feared while Jiren is just a guy who trained really hard. He also had a cliche last minute backstory and his appearance is just a muscular Roswell alien which is like one of the most cliche alien designs.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:13 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 am
Skar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:45 am
Okay, but why is Jiren so strong? I could understand if Broly reached GoD level, since he's a prodigy from a warrior race with untapped potential, but Jiren? We know nothing about his race, but from what was seen in his short flashback, they were a weak and poor species living in huts. How can a member of their species attain such power through training alone? Even Goku couldn't reach divine power merely through training, he needed to perform the God ritual to elevate himself to that level.
I think you said it yourself, we don't know anything about his race, everything we have to go by is Toei's quick take on his village, which might have nothing to do with Toriyama's take on it. And Toei is never clear about how strong his race is, only that they lived in huts and were killed by a demon, so them being weak is more your assumption rather than a fact. They were not a super race because that probably would've been said, but that not being the case doesn't mean they had to be weak.
However, Jiren was raised by Gicchin who was a friend of Hakaishin Belmod's so perhaps he was already pretty strong as a kid and that demon was actually a remarkable opponent.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 am
ZombieVito wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:17 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:11 am Because power-creep has always been a heavy element of Dragon Ball. I mentioned earlier how it's bad world-building that Fused Zamasu the supreme god has already been surpassed literally in the following arc by a heavily-suppressed Jiren, but then DBZ also had stupid power creep which ruined world-building. Frieza was the most terrifying villain in the universe once, but then literally in the following arc he would have gotten fodderized by two technologically-modified teenagers. Then we have Perfect Cell, allegedly the most perfect being who can ever exist, who would probably lose to Dabura, a mere underling from the following arc. I suppose DBS is simply following the spirit of its predecessor :o
Ask yourself this.

Has Jiren truly surpassed Zamasu if he can't kill him? Jiren would beat Fused Zamasu around easily of course but would be completely hopeless in return against Infinite Zamasu. Jiren can't win that fight and would die at the end.
That's true but it's still bad world-building, don't you think? I mean this guy Jiren basically surpasses the most powerful Gods in the entire cosmos... by training really hard. And he comes from a random mortal race with no particular genetic trait or anything like that, his family was comprised of shitty villagers who got oneshot by a random demon. The bolded part is the problem. Logically he shouldn't be stronger than the Destroyer Gods and Fused Zamasu (a Kai-Saiyan hybrid), but since this show needs to double down on the power creep, somehow he is. We get to the point that a heavily suppressed Jiren simply charging up his aura somehow makes Beerus freak out.

I wouldn't put much stock into Beerus reaction. He was even shocked when Goku used Kaioken and we both now he's an ant to Beerus.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 am Yeah I also didn't like how Jiren was a regular mortal and hadn't acquired God ki like Goku, Vegeta, and Toppo. I suppose Jiren might also be a prodigy of his race like Broly and Freeza but it's unlikely we'll learn more about him since he completed his character arc and learned the value of friendship. It's possible Toriyama was out of ideas at the time or busy with the Broly movie and didn't have time to elaborate on Jiren. I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has a clever joke behind some of his recent laziness.

My other theory is that Jiren might be somewhat of a self-parody from Toriyama because the main antagonists usually had crazy reasons why they were so powerful. King Piccolo was God's evil half, Vegeta was the elite Saiyan, Freeza was the mutant alien overlord of the universe, Cell had the DNA of the strongest races, and Buu was the ancient demon that the most powerful gods at the time feared while Jiren is just a guy who trained really hard. He also had a cliche last minute backstory and his appearance is just a muscular Roswell alien which is like one of the most cliche alien designs.
It would ruin the whole joke of Jiren for me if he were given any complex backstory. He's just a guy who thought his master wanted him to get stronger, so he trained really hard and became the most comically, impossibly strong guy ever. (But was wrong about what was asked of him from the start.)

And in both versions, it aids him as a foil to Goku, and aids the sincere messages of the arc in addition to being a bit of a goof.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:28 pm

None.

I'm just glad we got more Dragon Ball, and finally more of 17.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:51 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:17 am Ask yourself this.

To be fair, Jiren (in the manga anyhow) does have a device to seal away evil-doers, and could probably just use that on Fused Zamasu, much like the Mafuba. It worked on a creature we can assume is stronger than Fused Zamasu anyhow, based on the fact Toppo had trouble facing it.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:23 pm

My main gripe with Jiren, as a concept, was that his mere existence meant that the Zero Mortal Plan was doomed to fail. And it wasn't even his own fault because Jiren didn't exist yet, so the writers couldn't possibly have Zamasu concoct a plan to deal with him.

It's okay in the manga, where Zamasu is dumb dumb who doesn't really think things through, but in the anime (as Black) he usually plan through these things. What's worse is that Zamasu is ridiculously impressed with Goku for his power approaching the gods of destruction, but Toppo is literally just as strong and is being trained by one, something that Gowasu would obviously know since the Supreme Kais talk with each other. Gowasu, being apparently one of the oldest Kaioshin, and aspiring Godtuber as he is, I can't imagine him not knowing about the rumour of a mortal stronger than a God of Destruction. He could even have said it after witnessing Goku's power, making Zamasu aware of it in the process.

Basically DBS has the same old problem: Toriyama doesn't really plan ahead. He writes in the moment, even now. That makes for shoddy worldbuilding.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Having just recently rewatched the Namek arc for the millionth time, Goku acting buddy buddy with Freeza in the TOP doesn't sit right with me. I also don't think Vegeta and Krillin would be ok with him being there either if this story was written over 20 years ago.

Just feels wrong if you rewatch the Freeza arc and then the TOP back to back. Goku/Vegeta/Krillin's interactions with Freeza make no sense.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Thani wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:23 pm My main gripe with Jiren, as a concept, was that his mere existence meant that the Zero Mortal Plan was doomed to fail. And it wasn't even his own fault because Jiren didn't exist yet, so the writers couldn't possibly have Zamasu concoct a plan to deal with him.

It's okay in the manga, where Zamasu is dumb dumb who doesn't really think things through, but in the anime (as Black) he usually plan through these things. What's worse is that Zamasu is ridiculously impressed with Goku for his power approaching the gods of destruction, but Toppo is literally just as strong and is being trained by one, something that Gowasu would obviously know since the Supreme Kais talk with each other. Gowasu, being apparently one of the oldest Kaioshin, and aspiring Godtuber as he is, I can't imagine him not knowing about the rumour of a mortal stronger than a God of Destruction. He could even have said it after witnessing Goku's power, making Zamasu aware of it in the process.

Basically DBS has the same old problem: Toriyama doesn't really plan ahead. He writes in the moment, even now. That makes for shoddy worldbuilding.
I just headcanon that away by saying that both Jiren and Toppo somehow died in the Future timeline. Jiren might have died from an illness or virus like Goku, and Toppo could've died when the Supreme Kai of U11 was slain by Zamasu. Don't forget that Toppo was on the cusp of becoming Destroyer of U11. Since the Future timeline takes place 20 years into the future, maybe Toppo already ascended to Destroyer after Belmod retired.

As for why Gowasu didn't tell Zamasu about Jiren and Toppo, maybe he didn't feel the need to mention them, since they are mortals outside of his jurisdiction (Zamasu was training to become Supreme Kai of a different universe). But this is all pure headcanon... since, you know, these people didn't exist back in the Future Trunks arc.

However I'll give credit to Super for one thing: the arcs of Super are all very inter-connected, much more than the arcs of Z. The Tournament of Destroyers serves as catalyst both for Project Zero Mortals and for the Tournament of Power, while Future Zeno meeting Zeno convinces the latter to do the Zeno Expo (where Goku meets Toppo). Then Frieza is resurrected as a result of the Tournament of Power, leading to the Broly movie, in which Frieza goes to Earth to find the Dragon Balls and revenge.

Meanwhile the arcs of Z a lot more self-containted. What's the connection between Namek and Cell arcs? How does the Cell arc lead into the Buu arc? The overarching storyline of Super feels a lot more connected, natural, and planned, but unfortunately the world-building sucks because this show just needs to up the power creep every single time.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm

precita wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:12 pm Having just recently rewatched the Namek arc for the millionth time, Goku acting buddy buddy with Freeza in the TOP doesn't sit right with me. I also don't think Vegeta and Krillin would be ok with him being there either if this story was written over 20 years ago.

Just feels wrong if you rewatch the Freeza arc and then the TOP back to back. Goku/Vegeta/Krillin's interactions with Freeza make no sense.
Then wouldn't this just be an indicator that you shouldn't watch those two arcs back-to-back? In-universe, about 15 years have passed; for both Goku and Freeza, this was quite literally another lifetime. Goku doesn't really make a habit of holding grudges (see: Piccolo, Vegeta, etc.).

And I'd say 'buddy buddy' is a bit of a stretch - in the anime, they start by immediately making a thing of punching each other in the gut after Baba's brought Freeza over; what's more, they deck each other in their Ultimate Forms, and Freeza traps Goku in a ball of Hakai Energy. In the manga, they completely beat each other up even before Baba brings Freeza over, and in both versions, Freeza says he's been imagining ways of killing Goku. At best, they have a twisted kind of mutual respect as 'worthy adversaries'.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm
precita wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:12 pm Having just recently rewatched the Namek arc for the millionth time, Goku acting buddy buddy with Freeza in the TOP doesn't sit right with me. I also don't think Vegeta and Krillin would be ok with him being there either if this story was written over 20 years ago.

Then wouldn't this just be an indicator that you shouldn't watch those two arcs back-to-back? In-universe, about 15 years have passed; for both Goku and Freeza, this was quite literally another lifetime. Goku doesn't really make a habit of holding grudges (see: Piccolo, Vegeta, etc.).

And I'd say 'buddy buddy' is a bit of a stretch - in the anime, they start by immediately making a thing of punching each other in the gut after Baba's brought Freeza over; what's more, they deck each other in their Ultimate Forms, and Freeza traps Goku in a ball of Hakai Energy. In the manga, they completely beat each other up even before Baba brings Freeza over, and in both versions, Freeza says he's been imagining ways of killing Goku. At best, they have a twisted kind of mutual respect as 'worthy adversaries'.
Yeah, I agree. There is a huge time gap between those arcs. It would be like watching the Ma. Jr arc and then watching Goku and Piccolo getting their driver's license. Or the saiyan arc and then Vegeta cheering for Goku during his bout with Jiren.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Eeeeh.

I’m currently at the Namek arc on a series reread, and have also been rereading the ToP as the colorized Super volumes have come out, and it doesn’t seem incongruous to me—especially with fresh reminders of just how quickly everyone buddies up to Piccolo and Vegeta in DB.

Having to be strange bedfellows with Freeza in the ToP isn’t anymore eyebrow-raising than the way Kuririn happily discusses reviving Piccolo after only a day of fighting alongside him. Goku himself presents even less incongruity, as he isn’t one to hold grudges and expresses a kind of admiration for Freeza’s skill both on Namek and in “F”—the only thing in the way of a friendly rivalry from his perspective has always been Freeza’s attitude, which the circumstances of the ToP tamper.

Yesterday’s villain is today’s friend (when the situation demands it). That’s DB.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Eeeeh.

I’m currently at the Namek arc on a series reread, and have also been rereading the ToP as the colorized Super volumes have come out, and it doesn’t seem incongruous to me—especially with fresh reminders of just how quickly everyone buddies up to Piccolo and Vegeta in DB.

Having to be strange bedfellows with Freeza in the ToP isn’t anymore eyebrow-raising than the way Kuririn happily discusses reviving Piccolo after only a day of fighting alongside him. Goku himself presents even less incongruity, as he isn’t one to hold grudges and expresses a kind of admiration for Freeza’s skill both on Namek and in “F”—the only thing in the way of a friendly rivalry from his perspective has always been Freeza’s attitude, which the circumstances of the ToP tamper.

Yesterday’s villain is today’s friend (when the situation demands it). That’s DB.
Even over the course of the fight on Namek, Goku tried to walk away from Freeza twice after having been all "ZETTAI NI YURUSENAI" mode at the beginning. While still unwilling to forgive Freeza for his crimes, Goku always tries to turn the other cheek with Freeza because he laments how great he could be as a friendly rival if he weren't so petulant.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 am

I think there's a big difference here though. Piccolo had already spent 4 years on Earth not causing any trouble between the end of Dragonball and start of DBZ, and although he was obviously still going to be Goku's enemy, they were able to put it aside a lot easier. His father King Piccolo was already the truly evil one and he was dead.

Vegeta again is a bit of a different story. Nappa killed all of Goku's friends and the innocents on Earth, and he paid for it. By the time Goku had fought Freeza, Vegeta was already reluctantly fighting alongside them. Besides that there's the year or so Vegeta stayed on Earth between the end of the Freeza arc and before Cyborg Freeza/Future Trunks happened.

Freeza had come back two times before intending to kill everyone. First time in the Cell saga and again in Movie 15. They knew he could never be redeemed.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 am

precita wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 am I think there's a big difference here though. Piccolo had already spent 4 years on Earth not causing any trouble between the end of Dragonball and start of DBZ, and although he was obviously still going to be Goku's enemy, they were able to put it aside a lot easier. His father King Piccolo was already the truly evil one and he was dead.

Vegeta again is a bit of a different story. Nappa killed all of Goku's friends and the innocents on Earth, and he paid for it. By the time Goku had fought Freeza, Vegeta was already reluctantly fighting alongside them. Besides that there's the year or so Vegeta stayed on Earth between the end of the Freeza arc and before Cyborg Freeza/Future Trunks happened.

Freeza had come back two times before intending to kill everyone. First time in the Cell saga and again in Movie 15. They knew he could never be redeemed.
The *five year time-skip in Piccolo's case is an in-universe fact, but never felt for the reader. Having recently been over both parts on sequential reads, I can easily say the speed with which non-Gohan characters accept Piccolo as an ally feels more jarring than the way Freeza fits into the ToP.

I haven't gotten to Vegeta's joining the group on this spin through yet, but after being a decided villain, responsible for the deaths of half the cast, let's not forget that he shows up at a barbeque with Yamcha and Bulma at the start of the very next arc.

Vegeta, of course, has endeared himself to the rest of the cast, to whatever extent, due to their shared trials on Namek. But within those shared trials, I don't feel he's treated all that differently from the way Freeza is at the ToP--both remain wildcards held at arm's length, making pragmatic moves outside the capacity of the more traditionally moral cast.

There's also the fact that by the time both Piccolo and Vegeta undergo the shared trials through which they buddy up to the cast, they've already been through some sparks of change. Piccolo has teamed up with Goku and been humbled by Raditz; he's begun to bond with Gohan. On Namek, Vegeta has accepted his losses and room for growth--even before he teams up with the others, he's no longer the arrogant elitist he was the previous arc.

But the same is true of Freeza. By the start of the ToP, he's already shifted from the pod-riding mafioso of the Namek arc to a martial artist who is willing to put in the mental and physical effort on top of his natural talent, from someone for whom defeat was unthinkable to someone who has come to accept and pragmatically react to the idea of no longer being on top. It is this Freeza alongside whom the characters ally in the ToP, and I don't find the way those interactions play out remotely hard to accept.

Frankly, I don't see Freeza's treatment as differing much, if any, from Vegeta's in the original run. It's unremoved from Vegeta's beats up through the Cell arc--and it's not like Freeza ever becomes great friends with the cast, even if Goku, being Goku, considers him something of a frenemy from then on--and actually less jarring in its context than Piccolo (in terms of how quickly non-Gohan characters flip his estimation from arch-enemy to valued friend).

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm I just headcanon that away by saying that both Jiren and Toppo somehow died in the Future timeline.
I think it fits better if Zamas never bothered to research if there were other mortals strong as gods in other universes, seeing Goku as an aberration, and by mastering his power and fusing with his immortal alter-ego he'd get enough power to defeat any unforeseen opposition

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:05 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:36 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm I just headcanon that away by saying that both Jiren and Toppo somehow died in the Future timeline.
I think it fits better if Zamas never bothered to research if there were other mortals strong as gods in other universes, seeing Goku as an aberration, and by mastering his power and fusing with his immortal alter-ego he'd get enough power to defeat any unforeseen opposition
The point is that it's unlikely Zamasu never ran into Jiren or Toppo while he was laying waste to mortal civilizations all over the cosmos, and even went to U11 to kill its Supreme Kai (Toppo and Jiren would've been alerted of his death because Belmod would have also died as a result).