What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:53 pm

I would like for literally everyone who has a problem with the creators behind the countless inconsistencies and/or retcons of Dragon Ball Super to please post what you didn't like about Dragon Ball Super shamelessly surpassing even Dragon Ball GT when it comes to basically nerfing the protagonists and giving the antagonists absolutely absurd powers and abilities.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:24 pm

One Kaioshin per Universe. •

Lazy and senseless. It's five Kaioshins, that's how it must be (although, to be fair, this is a problem shared with the original series as the original Kaioshins were never replaced).

Trunks hair color. •

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't mind the change. But considering there's still Dragon Ball Online in which he keeps the lilac/purple hair, his hair should be left the way it has always been.

41 years ago. •

No, Dragon Ball Super Broly starts 46 years ago. Someone needs to learn basic math.

Yadorat (and a Tsufurujin (?)) in the Universe 2 team. •

Huh? Excuse me? With the lack of an explanation, I call it an inconsistency. As this is not how the Multiverse in Dragon Ball works.

Goten, Trunks and Marron height. •

If they don't suffer from Peter Pan/Ash Ketchum's syndrome (and last I checked, they don't), they should look older and taller by now.

A few characters' personalities, especially Goku. •

It's odd but I feel like some characters aren't really being who they are, and Goku regressed in personality. It's weird, especially nowadays where there is a medium out there depicting an adult Goku as he should be, strange.

Off the top of my head, these are ones it should never been made. I can only imagine that if at least half of these were avoided, things would be a lot better.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: What Inconsistencies &/or Retcons You Wished Were Never Made In Dragon Ball Super?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Creating dozens of mortal characters stronger than SSJ God. Nerving Goku from being multi galaxy level, to having only planetary feats. Did he get weaker???!

No one should have surpassed SSJ God after it was first introduced. Only the Gods of Destruction and Angels deserve to be stronger than it.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:41 pm

I wish the manga and anime had been consistent which each other from the start over whether Goku absorbed the power of super saiyan god into his regular forms. I was confused for a very long time.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 am

Just remembered another strange retcon: that Shin and every kaioshin knows teleportation. I feel like Toriyama forgot that this was actually the technique of Kibito back in Z.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 am

I don't think there's enough time in the day to list what I wish didn't make it into Super and modern DB as a whole.

To keep the list short: The 2008 OVA, Episode of Bardock, Minus, RF, Champa's tournament, The Zamasu arc, The tournament of Power, & Broly. I won't fully judge the Moro arc until it's complete, but when talking about everything that released between 2008 and 2018, the BOG movie is the only worthwhile addition to the franchise.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:25 pmNo one should have surpassed SSJ God after it was first introduced. Only the Gods of Destruction and Angels deserve to be stronger than it.
This is why I believe BOG should've either been a conclusion to Goku's story, or SsjG should've been a one time deal that Goku and Vegeta decide not to use moving forward. I also believe it should've been the be all end all of Saiyan power, not the beginning of a new chain of transformations.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 am

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 am Just remembered another strange retcon: that Shin and every kaioshin knows teleportation. I feel like Toriyama forgot that this was actually the technique of Kibito back in Z.
This one can be explained away by Shin not having proper Kaioshin training.

He then retained the knowledge of the technique after fusing with Kibito.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:26 am

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 am
Jack Bz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 am Just remembered another strange retcon: that Shin and every kaioshin knows teleportation. I feel like Toriyama forgot that this was actually the technique of Kibito back in Z.
This one can be explained away by Shin not having proper Kaioshin training.

Well they should have confirmed that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 am

In the manga? Fused Zamasu not being an official Supreme Kai, because apparently neither Goku Black nor Future Zamasu were official Supreme Kais... even though Future Zamasu freely used the Time Ring, a divine artifact that can only be used by the Supreme Kais (so much so that Gowasu had to promote Zamasu temporarily to go to Babari 1000 years in the future).

Conversely in the anime Fused Zamasu has the inconsistency of not having a fully immortal body. Vegito in the Buu arc was 100% alive, despite one of the fusées being dead, so it makes no sense that Fused Zamasu only had half an immortal body. His body should've been fully immortal, since in fusion there is no middle ground (and Future Zamasu was obviously the dominant personality). And that immortality was given by the almighty Super Shenron nonetheless.

This last inconsistency is understandable though. Imagine if anime Fused Zamasu had a flawless, immortal body. With him already being Blue Vegito tier, good luck beating him lol.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:11 am

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 amThis one can be explained away by Shin not having proper Kaioshin training.

Wells fans could explain away or handwave any inconsistency. The reason it's considered inconsistent because it's not explained within the story. I believe almost all inconsistencies are unintentional and due to the writer overlooking or forgetting something. If they were intentional changes, it likely would've been acknowledged in the story somewhere.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:37 am

My #1 thing is the loss of Saiyan Beyond God and the perfect chance to streamline Saiyan transformations, but Grimlock posted most of the other stuff I dislike.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:24 pm
Oh yeah, I also don't like DBS Bardock aka Toriyama's Bardock, like at all. What a wet noodle of a character.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am

To add to my original post, it means they should have never introduced Golden Freeza, Hit, and Jiren. They don’t deserve to be as strong or as capable as they were.

That said, the Zamasu story could work, since as a Kaioshin (a GOD) taking over a Saiyan God’s body (Goku’s) could work and would present a believable and acceptable enemy for Goku and Vegeta.

Broly could work too, since he’s a Saiyan aswell with FAR more potential than either Goku or Vegeta, (as he was born with a stupendously higher power level than even the Saiyan Prince, Vegeta)

Moro as an enemy could work too, if he ate the WHOLE UNIVERSE.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am To add to my original post, it means they should have never introduced Golden Freeza, Hit, and Jiren. They don’t deserve to be as strong or as capable as they were.

That said, the Zamasu story could work, since as a Kaioshin (a GOD) taking over a Saiyan God’s body (Goku’s) could work and would present a believable and acceptable enemy for Goku and Vegeta.

Broly could work too, since he’s a Saiyan aswell with FAR more potential than either Goku or Vegeta, (as he was born with a stupendously higher power level than even the Saiyan Prince, Vegeta)

Fused Zamasu should have been the final villain. He is immortal and possesses Saiyan cells, that's the ultimate combination. The fact that a heavily suppressed Jiren (a simple mortal who just trained a lot) is already stronger than Fused Zamasu is bad worldbuilding.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am To add to my original post, it means they should have never introduced Golden Freeza, Hit, and Jiren. They don’t deserve to be as strong or as capable as they were.

Fused Zamasu should have been the final villain. He is immortal and possesses Saiyan cells, that's the ultimate combination. The fact that a heavily suppressed Jiren (a simple mortal who just trained a lot) is already stronger than Fused Zamasu is bad worldbuilding.
Yeah, I remember the Anime fucked up big time when they made Merged Zamasu NOT fully immortal. I was very dissapointed in that. He could have been a far superior version of Super Perfect Cell. Who was just hard to kill but could regenerate and get stronger through Saiyan Power.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 am In the manga? Fused Zamasu not being an official Supreme Kai, because apparently neither Goku Black nor Future Zamasu were official Supreme Kais... even though Future Zamasu freely used the Time Ring, a divine artifact that can only be used by the Supreme Kais (so much so that Gowasu had to promote Zamasu temporarily to go to Babari 1000 years in the future).

Conversely in the anime Fused Zamasu has the inconsistency of not having a fully immortal body. Vegito in the Buu arc was 100% alive, despite one of the fusées being dead, so it makes no sense that Fused Zamasu only had half an immortal body. His body should've been fully immortal, since in fusion there is no middle ground (and Future Zamasu was obviously the dominant personality). And that immortality was given by the almighty Super Shenron nonetheless.

This last inconsistency is understandable though. Imagine if anime Fused Zamasu had a flawless, immortal body. With him already being Blue Vegito tier, good luck beating him lol.
It's a shame that perfected Zamasu is stuck on Heroes. I want to live in the timeline where Toei adapts the Hearts arc instead of awful Moro.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 amFused Zamasu should have been the final villain. He is immortal and possesses Saiyan cells, that's the ultimate combination. The fact that a heavily suppressed Jiren (a simple mortal who just trained a lot) is already stronger than Fused Zamasu is bad worldbuilding.
It would've made more sense to save the Zamasu arc after Goku became the strongest mortal. In retrospect, it just makes Zamasu look like he rushed to switch bodies with Goku and oblivious to the fact that there are mortals more powerful including those training to become GoDs. Zamasu also didn't seem to bothered that the GoDs were once a mortal or maybe unaware since he seemed surpassed that a mortal surpassed the Kaioshin. If Goku surpassed the GoDs, it could be explained that Zamasu stole his body because he's the strongest and also because he considered it disrespectful that Goku turned down the opportunity to become a GoD and preserve the universe or something.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 amIn the manga? Fused Zamasu not being an official Supreme Kai, because apparently neither Goku Black nor Future Zamasu were official Supreme Kais... even though Future Zamasu freely used the Time Ring, a divine artifact that can only be used by the Supreme Kais (so much so that Gowasu had to promote Zamasu temporarily to go to Babari 1000 years in the future).
This one is technically explained, though, isn't it? Gowas specifically gives Zamas his Potara to enable the use of tools like the Ring of Time, and Bulma specifically deduces that after Black kills Gowas, he will have taken his Potara specifically so that he can go over to Trunks's reality. But the Potara fusion isn't permanent because, although Black/Zamas has the (usurped) authority he needs to use the tools of the Kaioshin, he still isn't one.

I agree that it's not entirely satisfactory, but I'd say it's less an inconsistency and more a fudge that allows Zamas to have the best of both worlds in accessing different timelines and yet still having access to his old set of moves.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:24 pm Lazy and senseless. It's five Kaioshins, that's how it must be (although, to be fair, this is a problem shared with the original series as the original Kaioshins were never replaced).
I find the current Kaioshin question to be pretty unsatisfactory, too, particularly given the linkage of their lives to the lives of the Gods of Destruction. If you wanted to headcanon this one, I guess you could say that these are each "really" the Dai Kaioshin of their respective Universes, and the rest fill in and do shift work, but are otherwise preoccupied or inert, which is why we never see them (Toriyama's said a bunch of technically conflicting stuff about Kaioshin/Shin-jin in recent years)...

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:18 pm

What bothers me is that the anime had to add some stuff which was later retconned by Toriyama himself, such as Freeza not knowing what fusion is.

I also wished Ginyu was never brought back and that Freeza never killed Piccolo in Resurrection F.
Actually I wished the retellings of the movies, which are a big retcon, never happened and in fact I don’t consider those to have happened (in-universe, of course).

I am also quite bothered by how Goku and Vegeta’s very powerful base form from Resurrection F and its retelling were retconned by the following arc. That could have been avoided as Toyotaro showed, even though he could have addressed the issue directly by saying that SSG = RoF base form, considering the manga goes on after the movie, but that’s implied so it’s not much of a problem.

The last inconsistency which I still find bothersome is the stamina of Goku and Vegeta in the anime’s tournament of power. Which everyone knows how inconsistent it was.

No other retcon or inconsistency pops to my mind, therefore I think I am mostly unbothered by those.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:37 am My #1 thing is the loss of Saiyan Beyond God and the perfect chance to streamline Saiyan transformations, but Grimlock posted most of the other stuff I dislike.
Yeah, I also don't like that Saiyan beyond God was thrown out of the window. With it, it would render the Super Saiyan God transformation pointless, therefore we would never have to see it again, one less recolor, one less transformation... Too bad merchandising will always speak louder, unfortunately.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 pmI find the current Kaioshin question to be pretty unsatisfactory, too, particularly given the linkage of their lives to the lives of the Gods of Destruction. If you wanted to headcanon this one, I guess you could say that these are each "really" the Dai Kaioshin of their respective Universes, and the rest fill in and do shift work, but are otherwise preoccupied or inert, which is why we never see them (Toriyama's said a bunch of technically conflicting stuff about Kaioshin/Shin-jin in recent years)...
I'm not into "headcanoning" anything about this subject. This is one that could have been easily avoided. All they had to do was either call Toyotaro to help design all five Kaioshins for each Universe or explicitly say that the ones who went to the tournament were in fact Dai Kaioshins. Neither happened, so it's not up to viewers to "solve" this. In fact, we never even heard the word "Dai Kaioshin" being mentioned at all in the whole series.

And I also would like a proper explanation on how Kaioshin of East (Universe 7) would become Dai Kaioshin, because there's no one above him to promote him (Old Kaioshin was also a Kaioshin of East, so theoretically he couldn't do it).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Goku's base from RoF.

He can beat up FF Freeza that one-shot SS Gohan in his 1st form, but then that is not enough for Assault form Frost or even Trunks?