I think its time to admit that Toyotaro is a terrible writer.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: I think its time to admit that Toyotaro is a terrible writer.

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am Don't care about this argument. Just acknowledge that Beerus is still your king and the absolute strongest. I'm back on the bandwagon
You're obviously meme'ing, but you could've waited for a more opportune time before writing this. Beerus literally JUST got summoned by the Grand Priest, probably because Daddy is angry or disappointed that Merus died for U7.

Zeno was already displeased with Beerus in the U6 arc and even threatened to fire him. Looks like the Grand Priest will remind Beerus of who really runs the show.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm

I think it's time to admit that this thread has run its course.
Formerly Marlowe89.

RobertDaDon
Banned Alternate Account

Post by RobertDaDon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:59 pm

I've always thought that Toyotaro was awful at storytelling & especially character writing and that his art style is only seldomly above average.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm I think it's time to admit that this thread has run its course.
Toyotaro has redeemed himself, so I agree, we can move on now (until he messes up again :lol:)

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 pm

RobertDaDon wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:59 pm I've always thought that Toyotaro was awful at storytelling & especially character writing and that his art style is only seldomly above average.
Welcome back, SadalaElite/UIPeter

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:21 am

I personally think Toyo never got out of writing a fanfic that is as close to DB as possible or maybe it's really what he was hired for :think:

The art is subpar but I must admit his cover are gorgeous. The manga lacks spectacle and flexibility (almost like yamamuro).

All in all, a pretty average mangaka with lots of potentiel but seems to be afraid of standing out :think:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm I think it's time to admit that this thread has run its course.
If the anime ever adapts the Moro arc, it hasn't run its course until we see what's different between the anime and manga version. Judging by the Zamasu arc and the TOP, the anime Moro arc will probably have a completely different middle section even if the beginning and climax are the same.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:56 pm

precita wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm If the anime ever adapts the Moro arc, it hasn't run its course until we see what's different between the anime and manga version.
Two things, bud:

1. I'm talking about the thread, which ran its course some time ago. It was created by a user that posted dishonest propositions, constantly made ad hominem remarks and got banned from the forum on multiple occasions for his behavior. This whole topic was designed to inflame and rile people up from the start, not invite conducive discussion.

There's a massive difference between critique and provocation. I'm amazed this was entertained for 14 thread pages, and everyone knows it would have died if you-know-who didn't create another account just to revive it.

2. You're not talking about the anime, you're talking about a hypothetical version of the anime that may or may not ever exist. You don't even know whether it'll continue to diverge or be more faithful to the manga if it does return. I don't care about speculation. I don't discuss meaningless hypotheticals.

Anyway, this is the last post I'm going to make ITT.
Last edited by The Undying on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Marlowe89.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Even if a cool new technique is introduced or a surprising guest appears, it doesn't compensate the fact that the arc was 99% driven by uninteresting villains invoking deja vu. It doesn't magically justify the the entire story arc. To me, Toyotaro still sucks as both a writer and artist. Moro was such a silly, constantly grinning, body penetration-philiac goat.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm Even if a cool new technique is introduced or a surprising guest appears, it doesn't compensate the fact that the arc was 99% driven by uninteresting villains invoking deja vu. It doesn't magically justify the the entire story arc. To me, Toyotaro still sucks as both a writer and artist. Moro was such a silly, constantly grinning, body penetration-philiac goat.
People are thinking too much in the short term here, it's proximity bias at its finest. The arc as a whole is just a disaster mess that's pieced together by flipping through the greatest hits from the original series, but worse.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:53 pm

I do wonder how much Toriyama had a hand in this one, because aside from the beginning and the climax, I don't think everything else came from him. I honestly don't think Toriyama would ever have Yamcha or Chaiotzu back in the action again either for that matter.

If this arc does get an anime adaption I expect a huge overhaul as a whole.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm

After recently finishing the latest chapter of the Moro arc, I have to agree that Toyotaro is nowhere near what Toriyama was at his peak :thumbdown: . Toyotaro's biggest failing, in my opinion, is that he treats the story too seriously. Except for a few rare instances (Gohan vs. Cell for example) Toriyama never played things *this* straight. Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball was always a satire of itself in general. The jokes weren't just gags for the sake of having a gag. His jokes were a mockery of humanity (our egos/pride/sense of grandeur, etc) and even a mockery of narratives that took themselves too seriously.

I'll admit that Toyotaro does have a good understanding of Dragon Ball's lore. But, IMO he totally misses the spirit of the original manga.