So is Vegeta the new Piccolo?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Re: So is Vegeta the new Piccolo?

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:35 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 pm No, Super clearly treats Vegeta like the co-protagonist like how Gohan was in Z. So Vegeta may not be the person who at the end is going to be the star but I do expect him to get is power up, whatever it may be.

Hell, I didn't post it in the theory thread yet but when Vegeta used spirit fission, he knocked the energy out and it gathered above him. From there Vegeta controlled it and sent it back. If Vegeta effectively splits the angelic energy from Moro, with no host to go to, he'll most likely absorb it and get some sort of angel power up because unlike Moro Vegeta has trained his body his whole life and trained with Whis.
I like this idea of Vegeta getting UI, but it would be out of character for Vegeta to want to keep a stolen power that he didn't earn himself through training. I feel like if he does get it, he will later discard it and never use it again.
You mean like how Goku obtained SSG through a ritual and not through training? It's justified because Goku was so talented that his body adapted to it and learned it. Expect the same excuse or rantional for Vegeta as well as the whole thing about how Moro not training made him unworth of the power being used to say that Vegeta's training made him worthy of it and why he's capable of absorbing it.

Vegeta's pride can be brought up but that didn't stop him from using the potara earings, using the fusion dance, participating in the ritural etc.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:35 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 pm No, Super clearly treats Vegeta like the co-protagonist like how Gohan was in Z. So Vegeta may not be the person who at the end is going to be the star but I do expect him to get is power up, whatever it may be.

Hell, I didn't post it in the theory thread yet but when Vegeta used spirit fission, he knocked the energy out and it gathered above him. From there Vegeta controlled it and sent it back. If Vegeta effectively splits the angelic energy from Moro, with no host to go to, he'll most likely absorb it and get some sort of angel power up because unlike Moro Vegeta has trained his body his whole life and trained with Whis.
I like this idea of Vegeta getting UI, but it would be out of character for Vegeta to want to keep a stolen power that he didn't earn himself through training. I feel like if he does get it, he will later discard it and never use it again.
You mean like how Goku obtained SSG through a ritual and not through training? It's justified because Goku was so talented that his body adapted to it and learned it. Expect the same excuse or rantional for Vegeta as well as the whole thing about how Moro not training made him unworth of the power being used to say that Vegeta's training made him worthy of it and why he's capable of absorbing it.

Vegeta's pride can be brought up but that didn't stop him from using the potara earings, using the fusion dance, participating in the ritural etc.
I hope you're right and he gets it, I would love to see MUI Vegeta sparring with MUI Goku later, or MUI Gogeta, but I just can't picture him wanting to keep it after defeating Moro because it's not his power and he already said he didn't want UI.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:14 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:47 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:12 pmAha, so it's more like Goku SSJB Kaioken :?
At this point I'd say he's between that and Omen.
100% FALSE.

He’s between Omen and MUI.

THAT, has clearly been stated by not only Moro and Piccolo, but by Goku himself aswell!
(by 3 different characters!)

And it’s only fair that he’s a bit above Omen Goku now. Especially since Goku got MUI later and surpassed Vegeta once again.

The feats don’t lie either, Since revived 100% Full Power Omen Goku was ONESHOTTED by Moro 73, while Spirit Control SSBE Vegeta was FOUR SHOTTED! (4!)

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:20 am

Kagari wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:25 pm
precita wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 am Piccolo had already been pushed to the sidelines during the Boo saga where he wasn't a main fighter anymore and was there to train Gotenks. Piccolo also barely did anything in Super but fight weak Freeza minions, lose easily to Frost in U6 tournament, and his role in the Top wasn't much more than any other character.

Vegeta is CONSTANTLY in the focus. I don't see how anyone can think he would be given Piccolo treatment.

As I said, Super has basically treated Gohan/Piccolo/Krillin as the way DBZ treated Yamcha/Tenshinhan/Chaoitzu. Now Gohan/Piccolo/Krillin have moved into the roles the other humans had in DBZ, and that's kinda sad for what were major characters.
Eh, Gohan had a bigger role than Vegeta in the anime Universe Survival arc and Piccolo had a better role there than anything he did in the Boo arc, really. Same with Kuririn, who did nothing in the Boo arc and had been acting cowardly since Cell.
This.. Is self evidently and obviously false.. Since Vegeta was the one who got a few shots in on Jiren, fought back ragingly hard against him, even got a new form (SSBE) was praised by the Grand Priest, fought alongside Goku equally, and was one of the last to be ringed out!

Furthermore, he defeated a literal God of Destruction! (GoD Toppo!)

Overpowered him fair and squar. Even punched right through a Hakai blast!

Vegeta was most definitely treated better than Gohan during the ToP.

Quite frankly, I don’t understand why I even need to make this post...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:42 am

In terms of the TOP I'd say Goku and Vegeta were the best treated, then a mix of Freeza/17 and Gohan, then 18, Piccolo, Roshi, Krillin and Tenshinhan. They all got their moments except Tenshinhan really, although Krillin could have lasted longer.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:20 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:20 am
precita wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 am Piccolo had already been pushed to the sidelines during the Boo saga where he wasn't a main fighter anymore and was there to train Gotenks. Piccolo also barely did anything in Super but fight weak Freeza minions, lose easily to Frost in U6 tournament, and his role in the Top wasn't much more than any other character.

Vegeta is CONSTANTLY in the focus. I don't see how anyone can think he would be given Piccolo treatment.

As I said, Super has basically treated Gohan/Piccolo/Krillin as the way DBZ treated Yamcha/Tenshinhan/Chaoitzu. Now Gohan/Piccolo/Krillin have moved into the roles the other humans had in DBZ, and that's kinda sad for what were major characters.
Eh, Gohan had a bigger role than Vegeta in the anime Universe Survival arc and Piccolo had a better role there than anything he did in the Boo arc, really. Same with Kuririn, who did nothing in the Boo arc and had been acting cowardly since Cell.
This.. Is self evidently and obviously false.. Since Vegeta was the one who got a few shots in on Jiren, fought back ragingly hard against him, even got a new form (SSBE) was praised by the Grand Priest, fought alongside Goku equally, and was one of the last to be ringed out!

I'm talking about the entire arc (which starts from episode 77 mind you), in which Gohan did far more than Vegeta in terms of actively contributing to the story. You're only focusing on the last handful of episodes (122-128).

Getting a few hits on Jiren ultimately means nothing, it didn't go anywhere and those episodes can be removed without anything changing. SSBE is arguably one of the worst forms so I'm not sure why that's being propped up here when it's just a bandaid catch up for Kaioken that happened 80 episodes ago. Sure, he beat Toppo but beating Dyspo was just as important and a lot of people tend to sleep on that fact.

Again, I'm talking about the entire 54 episode arc, in which Gohan contributed the most after Goku in terms of screen time and helping him to move the plot. Vegeta's not even around for most of the first 20 episodes.

GodPrince91

Post by GodPrince91 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:52 pm

BUMP

just read the spoilers for chapter 66. Looks like vegeta won't do anything this chapter either and its official. He will be sidelined forever and be made more irrelevant now that Goku has MUI at will. Well it was a decent run over the years I guess from the frieza saga when I fell in love with Vegeta's character and ruthlessness.

What is even the point anymore? If everyone knows Goku will be the strongest protagonist in the story why even continue being invested in dragon ball at this point? Also his brief power up moment in yardrat when he shot a huge blast from just his finger was a major troll job by Toyotaro to vegeta fans. In the battle against Moro, Vegeta had the same power as he did before he left for Yardrat, great writing!

Good Job Toyo! you officially sidelined one of the most iconic anime characters in order to prop up your golden boy. I'm just disappointed and probably wont be purchasing any more dragon ball material in the future.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:18 am

GodPrince91 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:52 pmjust read the spoilers for chapter 66. Looks like vegeta won't do anything this chapter either and its official. He will be sidelined forever and be made more irrelevant now that Goku has MUI at will.

If everyone knows Goku will be the strongest protagonist in the story why even continue being invested in dragon ball at this point?
That's the last thing I took from the drafts. Vegeta is more than likely going to separate Moro from the planet so that Goku ca finally take him down.

The issue isn't Goku being the strongest, rather Super being set within a period where we know for a fact everything, regardless of how bad things get, will be OK.

GodPrince91

Post by GodPrince91 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pm

So what is the future for vegeta then? How does toyotaro close the gap between him and Goku?

Does he get MUI as well? that would be incredibly stupid writing

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 pm

GodPrince91 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pm So what is the future for vegeta then? How does toyotaro close the gap between him and Goku?
Goku has been showing since RF that power is worthless without a functioning brain, so that's one way Vegeta can keep up with him. Goku could've easily put down Moro, but now he has to potentially rely on Vegeta to help out due to his lack of brain cells in that big head of his.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm

GodPrince91 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pm So what is the future for vegeta then? How does toyotaro close the gap between him and Goku?
Well, how did Toriyama close the gap between the two? Oh, he didn't and it wasn't a problem at all? Okay.
GodPrince91 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pmDoes he get MUI as well? that would be incredibly stupid writing
How about instead of trying to pre-empt the story by complaining about things that haven't happened yet, you could just wait for it to unfold?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Does he get MUI as well? that would be incredibly stupid writing
In the original series, Vegeta is never equal with Goku, continually surpassed by both him and his son. The series ends with both leagues above Vegeta in power. Even in Super, Vegeta is left behind at the U6 tournament and that's that. But power isn't the only thing that matters to the story. Characters can be written to help out in many other ways, it's up to the imagination of said writers for it to happen.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pmHow about instead of trying to pre-empt the story by complaining about things that haven't happened yet, you could just wait for it to unfold?
I understand why fans are worried, but they don't need to be, Vegeta's is far too popular to be sidelined. Vegeta, alongside Goku, are the faces of modern DB. These 2 will always be front and center of everything, regardless of the differences in power.

GodPrince91

Post by GodPrince91 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:47 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Goku has been showing since RF that power is worthless without a functioning brain, so that's one way Vegeta can keep up with him. Goku could've easily put down Moro, but now he has to potentially rely on Vegeta to help out due to his lack of brain cells in that big head of his.
Vegeta isn't that smart either as we have seen in his many arrogant, dumb decisions like letting cell get to his perfect form. Also throughout the entire dragon ball z and super series he has been on pretty much equal strength with Goku and the times goku has surpassed him the gap was small and was managable.

This is not the case now, the gap between SSBE Vegeta and MUI Goku is too big to close without also giving vegeta MUI. But that would mean sticking to the same old boring formula of goku getting the new forms first and vegeta getting sloppy seconds, its just straight disrespect at this point.

I am officially done with dragon ball, fuck toriyama and fuck toyotaro. Its time we fund and support other independent animators and manga writers who don't slob over goku every second and can actually write compelling stories.

GodPrince91

Post by GodPrince91 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm
Well, how did Toriyama close the gap between the two? Oh, he didn't and it wasn't a problem at all? Okay.
GodPrince91 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pmDoes he get MUI as well? that would be incredibly stupid writing
How about instead of trying to pre-empt the story by complaining about things that haven't happened yet, you could just wait for it to unfold?
In BOG, Vegeta's SSJ2 rage was shown to be immensely more powerful than SSJ3 Goku against Beerus. Its safe to assume that after defeating Majin Buu, the gap between goku and vegeta was minimal at best with Vegeta perfecting SSJ2 to new levels and given how inefficient SSJ 3 is.

Then in ROF you had both Goku and Vegeta attain super saiyan blue as basically equals on par with each other.

So I don't know how you assume toriyama didnt close the gap between the two?

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:52 am

GodPrince91 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 amSo I don't know how you assume toriyama didnt close the gap between the two?
I am referring to the original manga, where Vegeta only rarely gets on Goku's level, and the gap between the two eventually grows so wide Goku has to hide a whole other form and condescend to Vegeta to get a decent fight out of him. The whole conflict in the Buu arc is touched off by the fact that the gap between the two hasn't been closed, and the sum total of Vegeta's character development in that arc is a matter of coming to terms with that.

The idea that Vegeta is somehow irrelevant to the story if he's not equal to Goku in power is manifestly false when you look at Toriyama's work. And railing at Toyotarou over the same issue and making out like it portends the end of Vegeta as a relevant character, or whatever (if it even is what you say it is - it bears repeating that you don't know that yet) is seriously unwarranted.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Kagari wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:20 pm

I'm talking about the entire arc (which starts from episode 77 mind you), in which Gohan did far more than Vegeta in terms of actively contributing to the story. You're only focusing on the last handful of episodes (122-128).

Getting a few hits on Jiren ultimately means nothing, it didn't go anywhere and those episodes can be removed without anything changing. SSBE is arguably one of the worst forms so I'm not sure why that's being propped up here when it's just a bandaid catch up for Kaioken that happened 80 episodes ago. Sure, he beat Toppo but beating Dyspo was just as important and a lot of people tend to sleep on that fact.

Again, I'm talking about the entire 54 episode arc, in which Gohan contributed the most after Goku in terms of screen time and helping him to move the plot. Vegeta's not even around for most of the first 20 episodes.
That's just in the anime tho. And most of it feels like padding added by TOEI to extend the arc, since many things are not even relevant to the main plot (like the unique evolution that Gohan was looking for and that has led nowhere). Vegeta appeared less, but was more important in the most important part of the arc

And I don't know how SSBE being "bad" has to do with all this. It's a thing in both media and it's also important for the plot.
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:52 am
GodPrince91 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 amSo I don't know how you assume toriyama didnt close the gap between the two?
The idea that Vegeta is somehow irrelevant to the story if he's not equal to Goku in power is manifestly false when you look at Toriyama's work. And railing at Toyotarou over the same issue and making out like it portends the end of Vegeta as a relevant character, or whatever (if it even is what you say it is - it bears repeating that you don't know that yet) is seriously unwarranted.
Yeah, but it's good to take into account that the difference between Goku and Vegeta was never so astronomical at the beginning of an arc (assuming that this will be the case for the next saga after the Moro arc).

In the Boo saga he was off screen for most of the arc and during the BoG he was overcome only at the end (reaching Goku at the beginning of the next arc). Which means he needs a power up to stay relevant against the villains (especially since the next enemies will need to scale up to UI Goku).

In this case, Vegeta does not need to be as strong as Goku to be relevant to the story, but he needs to have close power to be relevant in the battles against the main villain. Most of the Z Fighters who didn't have this were sidelined from the plot (Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, Krillin)

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm
Kagari wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:20 pm

That's just in the anime tho. And most of it feels like padding added by TOEI to extend the arc, since many things are not even relevant to the main plot (like the unique evolution that Gohan was looking for and that has led nowhere). Vegeta appeared less, but was more important in the most important part of the arc

And I don't know how SSBE being "bad" has to do with all this. It's a thing in both media and it's also important for the plot.
The anime is the main product and the main point of the discussion we were having. Most of it wasn't padding, otherwise you may as well say the same for Vegeta dicking around and doing nothing to Jiren for a handful of episodes. And Gohan was referring to growing his Ultimate form, which he has done in both mediums. That's his unique evolution and will continue to be.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:48 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:14 pm People liked Vegeta as he was able to do what Goku wasn't: burst of violence.
And also by his different, complex origin as a prince of a near extincted race.
Now, does we need that again?

"The last prince of Sayan" doesn't matter anymore, as there are Sayan, half sayan, quarter sayan, sayan worlds, sayan happy merry go friends everywhere.
Burst of violence is no more, the plot is going toward lowering the tension degree. There's no need for him to do the dirty job: no dirty job to accomplish. The old plain Vegeta will have simply mincered Cabba and spit on him.

So, there's need of the old plain Vegeta?
No.
But the character arc could be revamped, while Goku arc is dead 20 years ago.
Becoming a figure in Sadla planet is a thing. Vegeta hidden bad aptitude can be a future problem. Vegeta evolving into something else than a Big Bang Attack cannon is another road.

Vegeta have full potential to grow into something else, is probably the only character in DragonBall with some narrative value left.
(To note that I hate Vegeta, but those are facts).
Goku does still have narrative value left but its really only enough to wrap up his character arc. I think they could just make Goku more mellow and get him to sit on the sidelines for a bunch of new characters to do stuff.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Lots of really stale takes in this thread from people who don't understand what a character role is.

To have a role is to contribute to the underlying story and its progression; characters can do this from the sidelines, they can do it in humiliating situations, they can do it while losing, they can do it through simple conversation. They don't necessarily do it by getting "wins". In the Boo arc, Piccolo's training or buying time for the kids is just as important as Vegeta's strategies with Genki Dama during the climax, and both are easily more substantive than just showing off cool attacks against random mooks that barely have any relevance to the plot outside of its basic premise.

All characters are tools for the story. The story isn't a tool for characters, lest you want a badly disjointed fanfic that prioritizes fanservice over narrative. Ask yourselves what they're contributing to the conflict (the main conflict, that is, not filler distractions on the side) rather than whether they're in the spotlight.
Formerly Marlowe89.