So what's Toriyama up to then?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: So what's Toriyama up to then?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 am

Lionel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:13 am
You have to wonder how he must have felt about GT back in the 90s.

With all of the embellishments and creative liberties made by Toei for the Super anime compared to the manga script it also begs the question on Toriyama's thoughts for all of these scenes in the anime. For example, is he accepting of the Spirit Sword scene or the Copy Vegeta arc?
He outright said evolution wasn't a good movie, made by people who didn't know what they were doing, at least he never said that about GT.

I think one of the producers said at one point that nothing gets to the screen or page without Toriyama's OK, so chances are if he took major issue with anything he'd veto it. There were talks going around from reliable sources that he wasn't very interested in continuing post the Champa arc, but they managed to convince him to at least work on ideas they provide him, such as Broly and the Zamasu arc.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:44 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 am
Lionel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:13 am
You have to wonder how he must have felt about GT back in the 90s.

With all of the embellishments and creative liberties made by Toei for the Super anime compared to the manga script it also begs the question on Toriyama's thoughts for all of these scenes in the anime. For example, is he accepting of the Spirit Sword scene or the Copy Vegeta arc?
He outright said evolution wasn't a good movie, made by people who didn't know what they were doing, at least he never said that about GT.

I think one of the producers said at one point that nothing gets to the screen or page without Toriyama's OK, so chances are if he took major issue with anything he'd veto it. There were talks going around from reliable sources that he wasn't very interested in continuing post the Champa arc, but they managed to convince him to at least work on ideas they provide him, such as Broly and the Zamasu arc.
Does he hold GT up as a quality continuation of Dragon Ball or are there no specifics on his opinion about it?

If that's true then I can't help but think what Toriyama's standards of acceptability are for the anime. So much in it was rife with headscratching exchanges and developments. Was any of it a reflection of his own intentions for the manga script?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am

Lionel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:44 amDoes he hold GT up as a quality continuation of Dragon Ball or are there no specifics on his opinion about it?

If that's true then I can't help but think what Toriyama's standards of acceptability are for the anime.
He called GT a "grand side story" and the older movies "stories that happened in another dimension".

He said in an interview (from 2017 ?) that he was complaining to the anime's staff a lot about its quality, but some say it was more serious than fans realize.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am
Lionel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:44 amDoes he hold GT up as a quality continuation of Dragon Ball or are there no specifics on his opinion about it?

If that's true then I can't help but think what Toriyama's standards of acceptability are for the anime.
He called GT a "grand side story" and the older movies "stories that happened in another dimension".

He said in an interview (from 2017 ?) that he was complaining to the anime's staff a lot about its quality, but some say it was more serious than fans realize.
It sounds like he effectively threw GT into the category of "filler". I do remember seeing this sketch of SSJ4 Goku that he did. Was that the extent of his involvement in GT?

Was it only related to the animation and artwork or the storyboard itself?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:11 am

Lionel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:54 pmI do remember seeing this sketch of SSJ4 Goku that he did. Was that the extent of his involvement in GT?

Was it only related to the animation and artwork or the storyboard itself?
He was the one to suggest having GT bet set after EOZ, as the staff originally wanted it to be set before like Super. He did some early character designs as well.

I don't think he elaborated, we just know there was some tension regarding the quality in general.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:45 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am He said in an interview (from 2017 ?) that he was complaining to the anime's staff a lot about its quality, but some say it was more serious than fans realize.
There's no info indicating he had problems with GT. He has only complained about the quality of Super anime (or Kai) in 2016 interview:
Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime, so it seems that Dragon Ball has grown on me [so] much that I can't leave it alone.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:56 am

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:45 amThere's no info indicating he had problems with GT. He has only complained about the quality of Super anime (or Kai) in 2016 interview.
I was talking about Super, not GT. That's the interview I was thinking about, but I thought it was from 2017.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:56 am
mute_proxy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:45 amThere's no info indicating he had problems with GT. He has only complained about the quality of Super anime (or Kai) in 2016 interview.
I was talking about Super, not GT. That's the interview I was thinking about, but I thought it was from 2017.
Then I'm confused, because you guys are talking about two series at once without indication :lol: