The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
AndLad92
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Location: Denmark

The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by AndLad92 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Are any of you, like myself, tired of the missing stories in the DB Super Manga (Resurrection of F, Broly and a lot of the Battle of Gods and Tournament of power saga)? I think it’s a shame to leave out any stories from the manga, as it's forcing me to shift between media (the anime, the manga, movies) to resee the whole and full story.
I know they did it in order for the manga to keep up with the anime, but I would prefer they hadn't done it, because I'm going to keep my manga collection in the following many years and I would have rather waited for a proper DB Super manga, than what we got.

Another thing I think is a shame is the differences between the DB Super manga and anime. I'm using my manga collection as a reference work, to look something up quickly, but because of the differences between the manga and anime I can't do it the same way I can with the original Dragon Ball manga.

I can't stop thinking that the DB Super manga feels so much as a half assed manga, just made to get the show available in yet another media. It's not the same experience reading it, as the original Dragon Ball was (except for the Moro arc).

Does any one else agree?
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5734
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:43 pm

I disagree, I suppose. Ignoring the missing content from the movies (jumping around mediums is unfortunately just built into Super; no getting around it incorporating the films), one of the things I like about the manga specifically is that its tone feels very much of a piece with the original DB. The scope and shape of its stories are different (smaller, tighter, more focused on changes for side and guest characters, prior to the Moro arc), and it’s obvious the author and artist are different, but it feels like part of the same world.

I would actually argue that the Moro arc feels the least of a piece with the original of any arc so far, and that’s because of some of its moves to specifically try to capture original DB arcs’ flavor (likely due to the change in primary story authorship). Things like the three chapters dedicated to the Earthlings vs. Moro’s goons really stand out as feeling off from the series under Toriyama, which never particularly bothers to look back or build in character spotlights for the sake of it like that. This isn’t to say I don’t enjoy it, but it does feel different, I think. It was doing fine at feeling DB just in its ruthlessly efficient pacing (for all the reputation the series has for dragging due to the anime, the DB manga is breakneck), sincere approach to plotting, and dryly humorous tone. I really think Toyotarō wound up being an excellent pick for conveying Toriyama’s plots, some craft shortcomings aside, if he weren’t interested in doing it himself. Ironically one of the least DB things you can do is to try to specifically invoke DB.

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:18 pm

I actually wish the manga and anime told completely different stories so we would have more adventures

I don’t like how the manga and anime tells the same story in different ways. If the anime just added more details that would be fine but I hate how it’s the same story just different.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:18 pm
I actually wish the manga and anime told completely different stories so we would have more adventures
I would've liked the manga telling adventures set during different periods of time focused on different characters.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by JewyB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm
Kinokima wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:18 pm
I actually wish the manga and anime told completely different stories so we would have more adventures
I would've liked the manga telling adventures set during different periods of time focused on different characters.
Or even during the same period of time, since we have little to no idea what characters are upto while Goku saves the day. How fun would it be to see Goten and Trunks getting upto something then they need to use and they're like "on second my people need me" and then turns up to fight Frieza before failing miserably, or to see Krillin actually being a competent police officer and solving rimes before Goku turns up with some nonsese.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5849
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by precita » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm

When the Super manga first came out I thought it was going to be a straight adaption of the anime in manga form, only skipping the slice of life episodes and maybe condensing the main stories to fit in manga form better.

I seriously am surprised the Zamasu arc and the Tournament of Power play out almost completely differently in the anime/manga. I mean sure the end results are the same in both (Toriyama obviously told them how the climax had to play out), but everything on the way to get there is completely different. The original DBZ anime and manga were a little different too, but the anime still follows the core of Toriyama's manga even with all the filler scenes or episodes added in.

Now Super has two completely different continuities (or 3 if you count how the movies are a little different than the anime adaptions), and it's odd to say the least. Now nobody knows what the real "canon" is anymore and it's all just a jumbled mess of confusion.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 am

I’m okay with that actually.

We can finally speed up to get new content this way, new Arcs. I was very happy when the Moro Arc started.
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
pepd
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by pepd » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 am

It is a shame that the story is not complete in the manga. I don't have much problem with watching the movies and reading the manga for a reread/rewatch. What bothers me is that a movie is slow and a bother when I just want to look something up. If there was translated animangas of BoG, RoF and Broly I would be just fine with it (at least until it gets adapted, a must for a Kanzenban release IMO)

About the differences in manga/anime, it is a shame that it's not one story, but I'm so glad is different from the anime version, and prefer the manga media anyways

Until -hopefully- it gets the movies adaptations we just gotta accept that the complete story is the movies+manga

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 am

pepd wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 am
If there was translated animangas of BoG, RoF and Broly I would be just fine with it (at least until it gets adapted, a must for a Kanzenban release IMO)
I think a potential kanzenabn release would likely include both Broly and RF, but we'll have to wait until it's over.

User avatar
AndLad92
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by AndLad92 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 am

pepd wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 am
It is a shame that the story is not complete in the manga. I don't have much problem with watching the movies and reading the manga for a reread/rewatch. What bothers me is that a movie is slow and a bother when I just want to look something up. If there was translated animangas of BoG, RoF and Broly I would be just fine with it (at least until it gets adapted, a must for a Kanzenban release IMO)

About the differences in manga/anime, it is a shame that it's not one story, but I'm so glad is different from the anime version, and prefer the manga media anyways

Until -hopefully- it gets the movies adaptations we just gotta accept that the complete story is the movies+manga
My point exactly. I enjoy watching the anime and movies, but I'm using the manga to look something up, because it's faster and I'm learning the story in depth that way. I haven't learned the small fragments of the story in DB Super yet, and It's not because it's a newer show than DB and DBZ, because I've read and seen the manga, anime and the movies a lot of times already. But it's because of the differences between the media and because I usually can't look something up quickly in the manga adaption of DB Super.
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

User avatar
AndLad92
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by AndLad92 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 am
pepd wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 am
If there was translated animangas of BoG, RoF and Broly I would be just fine with it (at least until it gets adapted, a must for a Kanzenban release IMO)
I think a potential kanzenabn release would likely include both Broly and RF, but we'll have to wait until it's over.
Do you really think there's a possibility that they will release a second kanzenban version covering more of the missing manga sagas, when they've already started the current kanzenban version?
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:26 am

AndLad92 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am
Do you really think there's a possibility that they will release a second kanzenban version covering more of the missing manga sagas, when they've already started the current kanzenban version?
Super doesn't have a Kanzenban release, at least as far as I know.

User avatar
AndLad92
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by AndLad92 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:32 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:26 am
AndLad92 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am
Do you really think there's a possibility that they will release a second kanzenban version covering more of the missing manga sagas, when they've already started the current kanzenban version?
Super doesn't have a Kanzenban release, at least as far as I know.
I may not know the definition of a Kanzenban release then - I would think that the current DB Super manga volumes would be called a Kanzenban release. But maybe they aren't?
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1808
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by batistabus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Cipher wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:43 pm
I disagree, I suppose. Ignoring the missing content from the movies (jumping around mediums is unfortunately just built into Super; no getting around it incorporating the films), one of the things I like about the manga specifically is that its tone feels very much of a piece with the original DB. The scope and shape of its stories are different (smaller, tighter, more focused on changes for side and guest characters, prior to the Moro arc), and it’s obvious the author and artist are different, but it feels like part of the same world.

I would actually argue that the Moro arc feels the least of a piece with the original of any arc so far, and that’s because of some of its moves to specifically try to capture original DB arcs’ flavor (likely due to the change in primary story authorship). Things like the three chapters dedicated to the Earthlings vs. Moro’s goons really stand out as feeling off from the series under Toriyama, which never particularly bothers to look back or build in character spotlights for the sake of it like that. This isn’t to say I don’t enjoy it, but it does feel different, I think. It was doing fine at feeling DB just in its ruthlessly efficient pacing (for all the reputation the series has for dragging due to the anime, the DB manga is breakneck), sincere approach to plotting, and dryly humorous tone. I really think Toyotarō wound up being an excellent pick for conveying Toriyama’s plots, some craft shortcomings aside, if he weren’t interested in doing it himself. Ironically one of the least DB things you can do is to try to specifically invoke DB.
I agree with pretty much every word of this.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:10 pm

AndLad92 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:32 am
I may not know the definition of a Kanzenban release then - I would think that the current DB Super manga volumes would be called a Kanzenban release. But maybe they aren't?
They're not, they're a standard Tankobon release. A Kanzenban release is of higher quality, bigger in size, and collectes more chapters per volume. Some versions, such as the one released for Shaman king included 10 or so new chapters that extended the final arc.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:40 pm

The Super Manga seems to have “smaller” And “more” panels. Hence it’s harder to see.. On top of that Toriyama’s art was always better, especially during the Cell Games Saga.
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:32 pm

I would have prefered two options the manga should have started with the Universe 6 tournament or When they released the tankobon, the Revival of F chapters Toyotaro did should have been included with an extra chapter to complete the arc. Then do three or four chapters of the Broly movie. It feels so incomplete with Revival F and Broly.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

User avatar
TobyS
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by TobyS » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:14 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:32 pm
I would have prefered two options the manga should have started with the Universe 6 tournament or When they released the tankobon, the Revival of F chapters Toyotaro did should have been included with an extra chapter to complete the arc. Then do three or four chapters of the Broly movie. It feels so incomplete with Revival F and Broly.
I don't mind the lack of Broly because it was so standalone and the movie was made to toriyamas vision/canon it fits to the manga and the anime fine.

Revival of F would need the scene where Base goku fights so well with a fourth form Freeza retconned in line with him not retaining god ki in base during BoG. I wouldn't mind that gap being plugged.

Broly would only be worth doing if they'd fix dumb stuff like the power-scaling of Goku fighting in Base versus someone who fought God Vegeta, just to show off forms, why they didn't teleport and grab the potaras, why Freeza could survive Broly that long, perhaps only failing once or using the Rosat to run down the timer. Anything to tidy it up. Show the other people reacting to it if not showing up. Maybe everyones already gathered at the look out, offering to help if Goku needs it. They don't have to pay a voice cast on the page.

Otherwise generally the art in super is not as good as classic DB, but it still at least FEELS LIKE "Dragonball" to me. The anime feels like a cynical cash grab "camel designed by committee", either way it's own separate thing, like GT but less bad.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Unlike the original manga in super manga there are no memorable moments that you can remember ... maybe only goku hakai because it was unexpected but the rest ...

User avatar
Xeno Goku Black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 am

Re: The feeling of the Super manga compared to the original DB manga

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 am

It was a mistake in the first place for the manga to retell the Battle of Gods story. It was a complete waste of time. They should have started from the Universe 6 saga from Chapter 1 and the manga would have been four months in front by now.

Post Reply