Do you miss the Super anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you miss the Super anime?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Dragonball Super ended in March 2018, so it's going to be nearly 3 years since it ended by early next year. While we had the Broly movie and the manga with Moro inbetween that, I do have to admit I kinda miss the Super anime in this time. Originally I thought I wouldn't, but now that Dragonball has been "revived" so to speak, I'd like to see more.

It was a surreal experience actually watching "new" Dragonball episodes week after week when most of us never thought a new series would ever happen. By the time most of us got into the Dragonball franchise, the anime of DBZ and GT had already ended in Japan in 1996/1997, so there was essentially no new material. I remember in the early 2000's when DBZ was big in the west, everyone would constantly say on forums, "GT bombed and Toriyama doesn't want to do any more manga, there will NEVER be a new series" and it was true for over two decades. Believing there would be a brand new Dragonball anime would sound absolute crazy and unbelieveable. Besides the 2008 special, there wasn't much new to even watch.

Now that Super has been gone for almost 3 years, do you miss it?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Do you miss the Super anime?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Yes. I miss seeing Kale, Caulifla, Ribrianne, Zamasu and other new characters be introduced as well as what unexpected things the production crew would come up with.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm

I concur, I miss the anime. I checked the Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime, but ended up dropping it after the Universal Conflict arc. Sporadically I also check the manga when I hear there's a new controversial chapter coming out, but I'm not keeping up with the story. And obviously I watched the Broly movie, but that was some time ago. I'd love for the anime to return and adapt the Broly and Moro arcs, as I'm sure they'd be able to flesh out those storylines and characters more.

Also, technically Super didn't end, it went on a hiatus. Episode 131 isn't supposed to be an ending to the series, in fact the narrator even says that it's just a brief parting. I always said it, the return of the anime is a matter of when, not if.

Perhaps what I miss the most is the amount of internet traffic that Dragon Ball got while the anime was airing. I don't want to be mean, but you can tell that this forum is kind of dying, or anyway not nearly as popular as it was back while the show was airing.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Yes. I think that Dragon Ball in general belongs in anime format just as much as manga - while I appreciate and enjoy the continuation of Dragon Ball Super in manga format, I do feel that something important is missing as long as there isn't an anime release.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm

No. The thought of having a Dragon Ball nowadays was both amazing and hard to imagine how great it could be, but they dropped the ball really hard. Not even in my wildest nightmares would I imagine a new Dragon Ball series would basically be made up of two horrible retellings followed by two crap tournaments and just one saga with a story. Lacking any charm the previous series had.

If at least we weren't stuck with characters that do not age or get a decent development, if we could get more of other characters not named Goku and Vegeta, if there was something resembling progression and less nostalgia... Maybe things could have turned out slightly better.

I don't miss what we got and if this is the best Dragon Ball can offer, it's best to remain dead. I do want a proper Dragon Ball, but only if its quality corresponds to the standards today. Story, progression, change, not afraid of taking chances, compelling new characters and etc. Not doing the same thing, as if it was stuck in some kind of bubble/safe zone.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Yes, a lot.
The experience of the story developing week by week was awesome, even if back in the 90s I had no access to spoilers I still knew this (say, the android arc) wasn't new or the endgame and that the following day I was getting more of it, and while it didn't take away anything from the experience, it is something else, different, compared to what I went through in 2015-2018.
The manga being a monthly installment bothers me to an extent, but it sure eases the lack of anime. I'd miss DB even more without Toyotaro's work.

I think I might even miss the stupid stuff like the bad animation and inconsistencies, lol. No, seriously I miss the voices, the great action sequences, the soundtrack and having a "date" every saturday or sunday. Oh man, having lunch on sundays while watching the last DBS episode...

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm Yes. I think that Dragon Ball in general belongs in anime format just as much as manga - while I appreciate and enjoy the continuation of Dragon Ball Super in manga format, I do feel that something important is missing as long as there isn't an anime release.
This post just about sums up my thoughts.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm

I miss it, it was fun to comment the episodes here at airtime.
Probably I never cared if there wasn't an erudite community to debate with.

But I don't miss the way it was done. Somehow they were able to remove any tension, and if I had to wait for a better show that's not just "new characters with some plot around" I'll be happy to wait.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 pm

As far as Toei's execution and writing are concerned, no. But I think if the anime had more cohesive, solidly bound material to adapt from beyond a few vague outlines that an entire team of scriptwriters were forced to interpret, I wouldn't mind seeing it return.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pm

I miss the excitement of a new episode every week but I don’t miss the constant negativity from the fandom

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:28 am

I’m good, personally, but I can certainly understand fans who enjoy animated versions more hoping it returns.

I tend to prefer manga on the whole, so even a quite good adaptation of the Moro arc, etc., would just be a novelty to me, but I’m not actively hoping against it or anything.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 am

No, I'm glad it's over and I hope it'll never return.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pmI don't miss what we got and if this is the best Dragon Ball can offer, it's best to remain dead. I do want a proper Dragon Ball, but only if its quality corresponds to the standards today.
This is my opinion exactly. Super's anime, generally speaking, was a train wreck. I want to see a new DB anime just as much as any fan, but not if it receives the bare minimum of care from the people involved with it. DB was already a complete story with 520 manga chapters, 511 TV episodes, & 17 movies. If you're going to bring it back after 2 decades, do it right or don't do it at all.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:50 am

Kinokima wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pm I miss the excitement of a new episode every week but I don’t miss the constant negativity from the fandom
Yeah to say it's just a kids cartoon people sure took it extremely seriously.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am

Kinokima wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pmI don’t miss the constant negativity from the fandom.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:50 amTo say it's just a kids cartoon people sure took it extremely seriously.
Anything is praised or criticized based on its quality, Super should be no exception. If people can't criticize Super then they shouldn't praise it either.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am
Kinokima wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pmI don’t miss the constant negativity from the fandom.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:50 amTo say it's just a kids cartoon people sure took it extremely seriously.
Anything is praised or criticized based on its quality, Super should be no exception. If people can't criticize Super then they shouldn't praise it either.

Criticism is not the same as constant negativity

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:36 am

I do think good animation makes a BIG difference especially in a hardcore martial arts-shounen like DB.
The animated battle sequences are an essential part of its broader scope.
Seeing the Moro arc animated gives a completely other feel to it than seeing it just on paper.
Not that the story is not important, but animation is basically very important for DB and makes an essential difference in experience.

I was originally more a fan of the anime than the manga. But i did miss the anime more a year / two years ago than now.
When Super was airing i was mainly focussed on the anime.
Recently i have grown to appreciate the manga more, although it's far from perfect.
I have somehow adapted myself to the situation.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am

Kinokima wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 amCriticism is not the same as constant negativity
This wouldn't have happened if there was more to be positive about.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am
Kinokima wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 amCriticism is not the same as constant negativity
This wouldn't have happened if there was more to be positive about.
That’s not what I meant about constant negativity. I think the Super anime (and manga for that matter) have a lot of room for improvement and could be so much better than they are. I am all for constructive criticism. Also when someone honestly says they don’t like something and moves on that’s is one thing...

It’s just the fandom needed to constantly bring the Super anime down. And now people do it with the manga too but at least that’s only like once a month.

It was like being negative got attention so they would constantly post negative things over and over.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:04 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 am DB was already a complete story with 520 manga chapters, 511 TV episodes, & 17 movies. If you're going to bring it back after 2 decades, do it right or don't do it at all.
Yeah, granted DBZ was a complete story by the end of Boo. But now that its been brought back, might as well continue with it.

I think the lore of 12 other universes and Gods of Destruction is a fascinating and logical continuation from the Boo saga. More sagas/episodes would let us further explore this concept, possibly having the gang travel to the other universes, meeting the other Gods personally, the amount of story material is now endless.

I'd also like to see Caulifa/Kale and the other Universe 6 characters become more proper mainstays, and hopefully eventually move on to EOZ so we can see adult Trunks/Goten, Uub and Pan finally get some spotlight.