Would Zamasu betray himself?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Would Zamasu betray himself?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:57 pm

If Zamasu turned everyone into himself, wouldn't one of those Zamasus (eventually) stand apart and turn on the others? It would be an interesting plot to see whether Zamasu would be happy/disappointed with himself.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Would Zamasu betray himself?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Not really because all those clones are... well, clones. They are all the same entity, just split between thousands upon thousands of individual bodies. They are extensions of Fused Zamasu, not separate incarnations of him.

Regarding the separate incarnations of him, there is one point where Future Zamasu turns on Black after seeing their plans collapse, but ultimately their internal division was short-lived, as they fused right after. Zamasu loves himself too much to betray his other incarnation, it's just inconceivable:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:15 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Not really because all those clones are... well, clones. They are all the same entity, just split between thousands upon thousands of individual bodies. They are extensions of Fused Zamasu, not separate incarnations of him.
Wouldn't that be a hive mind, which is not the same as different Zamasus?
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Regarding the separate incarnations of him, there is one point where Future Zamasu turns on Black after seeing their plans collapse, but ultimately their internal division was short-lived, as they fused right after.
But would the division last? I think each Zamasu would eventually start thinking they knew better than everyone else and then betray/fight/kill each other.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:15 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Not really because all those clones are... well, clones. They are all the same entity, just split between thousands upon thousands of individual bodies. They are extensions of Fused Zamasu, not separate incarnations of him.
Wouldn't that be a hive mind, which is not the same as different Zamasus?
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 pm Regarding the separate incarnations of him, there is one point where Future Zamasu turns on Black after seeing their plans collapse, but ultimately their internal division was short-lived, as they fused right after.
But would the division last? I think each Zamasu would eventually start thinking they knew better than everyone else and then betray/fight/kill each other.
It is indeed a hivemind. I'll make a comparison:

Goku Black/Future Zamasu = Separate incarnations, NOT a hivemind. Black and Future Zamasu are counterparts, but they are not the same person. Black rejects immortality and seeks ultimate strength, while Future Zamasu thinks that an immortal body is way better than ultimate strength. There's also the whole plotline about Black starting to change due to the Saiyan body, and adopting a less refined and elegant vocabulary compared to Future Zamasu. You can make the same argument for Present Trunks and Future Trunks. The two even fight each other at one point.

However, the two Zamases might have contrasting views on some topics, but ultimately they never betray one another. They might disagree at times, but they are too proud and committed to their plan to turn on one another.

Clones of Fused Zamasu (also called Infinite Zamasu) = NOT separate incarnations, but manifestations of Fused Zamasu's enormous ki/evolved state. They are thus a hivemind. These clones can't turn on one another because they are all just extensions of Fused Zamasu's power. It's similar to the clones that Goku Black made with his scythe.

That's why all those clones of Fused Zamasu behave in the same exact way, make the same facial expressions, say the same things, etc.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Anime Zamasu: no.

Manga Zamasu: possibly.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 pm

I think it would depend on where each Zamasu is in the timeline. Current timeline Zamasu might not have the same thought process as say, Zamasu 4000 years ago. Like me 5 years ago would probably think of the current me as a terrible person, just because my stance on certain issues has radically changed. Current me thinks of past me as well-meaning but terribly misguided, so I think any present/future incarnations of Zamasu would think the same. I'm sure a "wiser" Zamasu would try to sway other Zamasu to his way of thinking. Black knew how future Zamasu felt in that moment because he had already experienced those desires himself, but a less jaded Zamasu might be a little harder to convince. Ultimately, I believe they would come to a reasonable consensus.