Should the Super manga and anime divert into completely different stories now?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Should the Super manga and anime divert into completely different stories now?

Post by precita » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 am

Bringing this back up now that the manga is still going. I honestly feel like the anime should do its own thing whenever it comes back. I mean we already know the next movie is unlikely to be Moro or the current arc anyway so already it's going to have a unique story in the middle there.

But even if we get a loose adaption of other arcs it should go on its own path. At this point I don't particularly like where the manga is going and would like to see the anime diverge with its own storylines going forward. I also feel that Toei knows people want a timeskip to EOZ and we might get an arc with that as a "fresh start" for the show when it returns in a new time period.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Should the Super manga and anime divert into completely different stories now?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Sure, I trust Tomioka Atsuhiro and most of the series directors to do as they please with original stories that don't need to follow Toriyama or Toyo-tarou at all they they don't want to.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 pm

If it'd. Finally get kanzenshuu to split. Manga and anime into different subforums I'd be. For it.

Also. I would want games to follow. The manga.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Manga/anime has been its own thing since the beginning of the Champa tournament. Both diverge along the way (sometimes considerably) but always end up in the same place.

The ultimate goal is the End of Z so there's no way to change that. We already know Toriyama is writing the story so both media will adapt around that, with their own differences but ultimately keeping key aspects of the original script. The anime cannot take a completely different direction to the point of ignoring such aspects.

And we've already seen how anime and manga tend to interact (Super Saiyan God Vegeta originated in the manga and ended up appearing in the Broly movie, which even credited Toyotaro and the manga itself, and with promotional scans from the film also referencing the manga when they showed SSG Vegeta). So it's nothing new for them to share plot points

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:12 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 amI also feel that Toei knows people want a timeskip to EOZ and we might get an arc with that as a "fresh start" for the show when it returns in a new time period.
I'm not sure how Toei would get this idea but I think what online fans want differs from the general audience. As long as Toriyama's involved, I don't think the general audience cares when the story takes place and likely rather have anything with his input than another GT without him. The director of Broly said the series continuing is up to Toriyama and we haven't really been given a reason to assume he's lying since the next major DB project after Broly is another movie written by Toriyama.

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:25 am

I think that they should keep the same stories, but the anime can expand on somethings the manga didn't touch upon such as longer fight scenes, more story, pretty much what we've been accustomed to.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:53 am

Short answer: No

Long answer: No

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 am

If the anime has Tencha beat Moros lieutenant without help that'd be rad. But otherwise I hope it's a 1 for 1 adaption going forward.

If there's filler it should be purely slice of life stuff.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Sikat
Temporarily Banned

Post by Sikat » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 am

If the anime ever does come back, it’ll end up following the manga’s story. During the backend of the anime you could see Toei copying Toyo more and more, even going as far as to retcon their own ideas.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm

Sikat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 am If the anime ever does come back, it’ll end up following the manga’s story. During the backend of the anime you could see Toei copying Toyo more and more, even going as far as to retcon their own ideas.
How is that possible when the anime for the Tournament of Power ended like a year before the manga did?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm
Sikat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 am If the anime ever does come back, it’ll end up following the manga’s story. During the backend of the anime you could see Toei copying Toyo more and more, even going as far as to retcon their own ideas.
How is that possible when the anime for the Tournament of Power ended like a year before the manga did?
I assume that was in reference to God suddenly showing back up, complete with a speed/burst-of-power switch-off beat pulled directly from the manga Future Trunks arc.

And then of course Super Saiyan God Vegeta showing up in Broly, when Super TV had at the very least seemed to really imply that he'd skipped the form entirely.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 pm And then of course Super Saiyan God Vegeta showing up in Broly, when Super TV had at the very least seemed to really imply that he'd skipped the form entirely.
The God-Blue gimmick used by Vegeta in the manga Zamasu saga is also introduced in the anime tournament but being used by Goku. And for the same purpose of saving Blue's energy while surprising the enemy with a sudden power boost

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Marz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:43 pm The God-Blue gimmick used by Vegeta in the manga Zamasu saga is also introduced in the anime tournament but being used by Goku. And for the same purpose of saving Blue's energy while surprising the enemy with a sudden power boost
I mentioned that literally right above the part you quoted(!).

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:02 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:22 pm
Marz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:43 pm The God-Blue gimmick used by Vegeta in the manga Zamasu saga is also introduced in the anime tournament but being used by Goku. And for the same purpose of saving Blue's energy while surprising the enemy with a sudden power boost
I mentioned that literally right above the part you quoted(!).
Oh sorry! English is not my native language, I got confused and I thought you were referring to something else

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:10 pm

When anime returns it will probably keep its exclusive elements, add filler and maybe even change some details to please fans; but after the last arcs and Broly I don't think they have any intention of separating them completely.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Marz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:02 pm Oh sorry! English is not my native language, I got confused and I thought you were referring to something else
Oh! Sorry then!

Also your English is perfect.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:53 pm

So if the new movie in 2022 does something that completely contradicts the manga (since it'll likely take place right after the TOP and not acknowledge anything from Moro onward), is it safe to say the anime will be its own thing?

Like we already know the anime is getting an extra story the manga isn't, technically we did with Broly already but I feel the next movie might do something in a different direction.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:35 am

I think at this point anything can happen and the franchise is completely unpredictable.

For example, would you have guessed back in 2015-16-17 that the anime would go on hiatus and be surpassed by the manga? Be honest with yourself.

So is it that unthinkable to imagine a scenario where the anime simply goes on with its own story, maybe replacing the Moro arc with a Planet Sadala arc, but keeping the same key plot points (Goku's progression with Ultra Instinct, Spirit Fission, Vegeta's Spirit training, etc.)? Not really, since Super Dragon Ball Heroes exists, which is seen as a continuation of the Super anime that takes place after the ToP arc.

So pretty much what I am saying here is that anything can happen and in the end nothing should be taken for granted.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm

BORUTO is doing something similar, with the anime using episodes between manga arcs to develop and explore characters, side characters and settings, while also changing parts of the arcs adapting the manga to fit with the differences:
some characters reacting differently because they went through character development earlier in the anime than there manga, other characters getting powerups later than in the manga, scenes being changed because knowledge\setting\whatever in the manga wouldn't fit the anime, etc etc.

The outcome is quite good: the a BORUTO anime is arguably more successful than the manga, even.

But the BORUTO anime and manga were PLANNED like this from the start, with the main writer checking the anime staff wouldn't cause the character being too out of character, or giving them abilities they wouldn't have, etc etc.
You know: the exact opposite of the Super anime were everybody was ignoring everybody else.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Boruto is also largely a great success of Kishimoto Masashi actually knowing a bit about anime and the people who make anime. He personally requested Nishio Tetsuya to do the animation character designs when the animated series was first being produced, then eventually began to copy Nishio's designs for his comic. Furthermore, he trusted Yamashita Hiroyuki implicitly with the storyboards of the 2015 Boruto film after watching the episodes that he directed. Following the film Yamashita was the series director of the Boruto animated series for the first five cours and his influence could definitely be felt in the cohesiveness of the production. Toriyama doesn't seem like the type to give a damn about anime, so I feel like the big issue is really that: Toriyama not really caring to use his authority as the series' creator to insure that skilled workers get the time and freedom to create something good.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter