Is Super Saiyan Blue redundant?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

BWri
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Super Saiyan Blue redundant?

Post by BWri » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:09 pm
Yes. It removed everything that made SsjG unique in favor of a literal Ssj1 recolor. What makes things worse is how lackluster its introduction was, Goku and Vegeta just transform with no build up or anything. It doesn't help that the actual transformation itself is also underwhelming.
Right! What makes it worse is that Frieza was also stronger than them at his peak.
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:53 am
I agree with most of your post. I just wanted to reiterate that although we also have Freeza and Gohan reaching levels similar to that of SSB in the manga, they essentially never overcame true power of this form (CSSB). Nor Toppo, or Kefla, or Aniraza. In the manga the only beings that really surpassed the SSB (apart from the Gods and Angels) were the antagonists, more specifically 3 of them (Broly, Moro and Jiren), so I would say that it is a more favorable scenario for this transformation
True! It's why I overall like the more grounded or rather conservative approach of the manga's power scale. The anime does begin protecting the form too during the ToP ... for the most part. Frieza, Gohan, and #17 often appear to be below Goku and Vegeta's standard SSB during the late stages of the tournament. It's not always consistent, but for the most part it seems to be true.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Super Murjin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Not really

from the Resurrection F arc all the way to the Galactic Prisoner Arc , Super Saiyan Blue has been the main form used with small appearances from older forms like SSJ1-3 & SSG. I think most fans just want the future plots not to have to rely on a brand new form to save the day each time.

Ultra Instinct was the exception.
They mentioned it in Resurrection of F (moving your body without thinking) and then actually seeing the form in the TOP, skipped in the Broly movie & then it returning again in the Galactic Prisoner Arc.

Hope Ultra Intinct is Goku's most powerful form for many many many many arcs to come.
While Super Saiyan Blue can remain his go to default form.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:56 pm

The new forms are all hot stinky garbage.

SSG should have been unique to each individual.
Example, Gokus form is red, Vegetas form is blue.
Gohans is purple, etc.

I still haven’t figured out WTF Trunks quasi-SSGSS form was..
Super is hard to even enjoy because the power scaling and transformations make so little sense.

I’m use to DB dropping previous techniques and forms in favor of the next big think but the forms in Super just lack any meaning or link to SSJ lore. For example why is there even a SSG form in the first place and is it unique to SSJs. Yes we got the original SSG backstory but it flat out doesn’t make that an entire race is just randomly an exclusive transformation on the level GoD.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 pm

I doubt the original Super Saiyan God was "God of Destructiion level", since his base form was much weaker than Movie 14 base Goku.