What is the best format for Dragon Ball Super moving forward?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What is the best format for Dragon Ball Super moving forward?

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:12 pm

• Movies - Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Broly type movies every couple of years
  • Television Specials - Shorter movies made for TV like The History of Trucks, Bardock: The Father of Goku, and Goku and his Friends Return
  • Games - Original stories with characters created by Toriyama, like with FighterZ
  • On Going Anime - Weekly episodes that are a collaboration between Toei and Toriyama
  • Seasonal Anime - similar to other anime shows, like Sword Art Online and One Punch Man.
  • manga - Similar to the Dragon Ball Super manga and Moro saga, a collaboration between Toriyama and mangakas

I enjoy the movies far more than the other formats. They're well paced and years of planning and animating go into them.

The Super television series had some very low points and so much of it felt like filler. And i have serious issues with the pacing of a monthly manga series.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: What is the best format for Dragon Ball Super moving forward?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Seasonal anime for sure, as it gives the writers enough room to work with, but not so much that it burns out the staff and negatively impacts the quality.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Why not all of those? Anime, manga, movies, videogames, and promotional anime and manga for said videogames.

I mean, My Hero Academia does it, they even announced a new movie while they are working on the fifth season of the anime, why can't Dragon Ball do the same? It's not like anime and movies are mutually exclusive...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:12 pm

I would love the anime to come back as a seasonal anime that way there is less filler and the animation can be higher quality since the budget isn't spread out over a years worth of episodes.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:40 pm

I want Toriyama to do monthly 4-komas.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:46 am

Whatever it is, I think quality should come first. If the staff of TOEI has enough space within a few years to make a high-quality weekly anime, yes please. If they don't have that space in conjunction with other projects, then a periodical anime (24 or even 12 episodes per season) will do just fine.

This of course combined with the manga, an occasional movie and games (the latter is for me not as important, but i understand for a lot of people it is).

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:54 pm

With such granular (or...granollar!) development, they could also remove the 'Super' tag. It become senseless.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I do think that the Super anime in particular is pretty much unwatchable, but not because it's an anime.

Speaking broadly: I've never had a preference for any one format over another, save for video games, which I don't generally find to be an effective storytelling medium (and even if I'm wrong, a DB game would never be as good in that department as formats that were specifically designed to be). Given Toei's current talent, though, I'd more likely side with the idea of watching concise movies over any long-running TV series.

Otherwise, you can like whatever you like. My issue with Super is more with its decision to tell the same story outline in a completely different way depending on the medium; it muddles consumption more than necessary, and on principle, I don't see any issue with the traditional anime-adapting-manga approach.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Seasonal weekly anime series would be my choice. I miss the community, the theorizing, the cliffhangers, translating summaries from NewType, guessing who animated what that week.... it was fun in a way the monthly DBS manga just hadn't been for me.

Whatever happens, no more unrelentingly long arcs that take over a year (ToP) or 2 years (Moro). 24 episode arcs are my preferred story length.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:44 am

Anime of course.

Hopefully when it comes back it isn't soiled by Toyotaro's nonsense.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:14 pm

In the era of Disney expanded universes, they're going to want to cover as many mediums as possible.

Toriyama works on a movie that comes out every few years.

In between, he collaborates with Toyotaro on the manga to create stories in between the movies.

The anime adapts the manga moving forward. Seasons would be great, but we're talking about Toei, so it's not likely. Toei has constantly shown that they can't write drawn out stories without Toriyama, so with a solid foundation, they can go back to padding an existing manga similar to what they did in the Z era.

Movies are not adapted by the anime. At most, there should be a recap using film footage at the beginning of new arcs.

Games can have their own stories outside of Toriyama's. Extended universe stories like Heroes continue.

I think that's the most realistic "good" outcome. Some of it is already happening. The worst case scenario is what we've had before: Toei adapting films into anime seasons, not following the manga, and having a dozen writers who don't coordinate with Toriyama or each other and hardly understand the essence of DB on their own.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Ideally? Super gets moved to Weekly Shounen Jump (or any other similarly scheduled magazine Shueisha owns), provided Toyotarou can handle the workload. That would provide the manga not only with weekly updates, furthering discussion and interest in the series, but also 15 extra pages per month (60 in contrast to the usual 45 we tend to get). In the mean time, Toei adapts the manga seasonally, with Toei original movies to break up the monotony between anime seasons (Toriyama, of course, would still be overseeing the manga). The games continue on as usual with their own original plots and Toriyama-designed characters.

If Dragon Ball is to have a renaissance, then let it work under the same or similar conditions that it was under originally.
batistabus wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:14 pm In the era of Disney expanded universes, they're going to want to cover as many mediums as possible.

Toriyama works on a movie that comes out every few years.

In between, he collaborates with Toyotaro on the manga to create stories in between the movies.

The anime adapts the manga moving forward. Seasons would be great, but we're talking about Toei, so it's not likely. Toei has constantly shown that they can't write drawn out stories without Toriyama, so with a solid foundation, they can go back to padding an existing manga similar to what they did in the Z era.

Movies are not adapted by the anime. At most, there should be a recap using film footage at the beginning of new arcs.

Games can have their own stories outside of Toriyama's. Extended universe stories like Heroes continue.

I think that's the most realistic "good" outcome. Some of it is already happening. The worst case scenario is what we've had before: Toei adapting films into anime seasons, not following the manga, and having a dozen writers who don't coordinate with Toriyama or each other and hardly understand the essence of DB on their own.
Realistically, this is what we can hope for.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm such a broken record but my hope would be something like what Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon did: interesting character stories with animation focused on funny faces and character acting for most episodes with the occasional story arc to change the pace. I guess that COULD conceivably be done as a two cour a year series, though. Like, adapt the Moro arc into 8-13 episodes preceded by episodic episodes to give other characters things to do and increase the variety of scenarios we see the characters in.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:12 pm

New adaptation of original manga with new seiyu.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 am

The best format, in my wishes, would be:

- Manga to be moved to Weekly Shonen Jump as soon as Toyotaro is ready (very unlikely).
- Weekly anime based on Toyotaro’s manga. This way Toriyama can focus all his attention exclusively to the manga. This could be a seasonal anime or not, I would be ok with both instances.
- A new movie written by Toriyama to be released shortly after each arc is over.
- Some TV special every once and then, especially if the anime is seasonal and adapts the manga.

My wildest wish is for the anime of Super to be rebooted as an adaptation of the manga, from U6 arc, while considering all the 3 movies by Toriyama as the canonical ones (so they wouldn’t get reanimated). This way we could finally have a consistent story to be consumed in both ways, and it would be the chance to correct their past mistakes and finally release a proper quality Super show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:15 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 am My wildest wish is for the anime of Super to be rebooted as an adaptation of the manga, from U6 arc, while considering all the 3 movies by Toriyama as the canonical ones (so they wouldn’t get reanimated). This way we could finally have a consistent story to be consumed in both ways, and it would be the chance to correct their past mistakes and finally release a proper quality Super show.
Bingo.

Also, none of this shit where people want the anime to do its own thing just so they can get lost in the "hype" factor every week. That's such a vapid, shallow way to engage with any ongoing serialization. It's not gonna age the material well at all, and if people actually like that stuff, there's plenty of other franchises to consume besides Dragon Ball.
Formerly Marlowe89.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:36 pm

The Undying wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:15 pm
emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 am My wildest wish is for the anime of Super to be rebooted as an adaptation of the manga, from U6 arc, while considering all the 3 movies by Toriyama as the canonical ones (so they wouldn’t get reanimated). This way we could finally have a consistent story to be consumed in both ways, and it would be the chance to correct their past mistakes and finally release a proper quality Super show.
Bingo.

Also, none of this shit where people want the anime to do its own thing just so they can get lost in the "hype" factor every week. That's such a vapid, shallow way to engage with any ongoing serialization. It's not gonna age the material well at all, and if people actually like that stuff, there's plenty of other franchises to consume besides Dragon Ball.
Yeah that’s a bad idea. Rewatch value is everything. Something most of Super’s anime unfortunately lacks.

It’s also weird to see people who like Super to have two wildly different takes on the same basic stories. That’s so unneeded, and if it could be avoided it would be much better. I would actually prefer to see more filler or wait more time before the anime comes back, than seeing it come back with the same story differences as before. That’s not to say that it cannot do better than the manga. But it can also do worse. Therefore it’s safer to just adapt it and at best extend it rather than tell the same story but differently just for the sake of it.

For example with Broly, at least as of now, it’s so nice to be able to talk about him without having to distinguish between the anime and manga version.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Definitely don't want a weekly anime suffering from early pre-production issues.

I'm fine with the anime going about its own adaptation compared to the manga (it helps both mediums to be distinct in my eyes, gives people some different flavour), just as long as it has a good pre-production and planning to ensure quality.

Movies are also good, though they should be interspersed between major anime runs. I think it'd be neat if the movies were the only times the manga and anime intersected. I for one just like how Toyotaro does things differently than Toei and vice versa and think neither should be fully beholden to one another given the differences in how they approach creating the content from a given story draft, even if I don't personally like how Toyotaro does things.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:09 pm

I think for me it wasn't necessarily about hype, but honestly I lost a lot of interest in the Moro arc early on and because of how I've felt about the manga the past two years I personally would prefer Toyotaro not to be the sole official person allowed to create new Dragon Ball stories. If I really liked his writing I would definitely want his stuff to be adapted word for word, but I didn't, so I'd rather see if a different take would make me like the arc more. It's selfish, but I guess wanting more DBS anime at all when they don't need to make one anymore is too.

I feel with the anime it's harder to pin down who is responsible for what in the story and because of that it's easier to reconcile an episode I don't like than it is a manga chapter I don't like.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 pm

With Toriyama or no Toriyama, quality control should be Toei number one priority from now on after what happened. DBS survived through all that because of the power of this franchise. If it was a new franchise, it would most likley be its doom.

Seasonal anime with at least 2 cours (around 24 episodes) is not a bad idea.
It can be long running, as long as it's well planned like everything else Toei is doing since DBS ended.

About having two different takes of the same story, I don't mind it but I agree they should coordinate things better. Follow Toyotaro's lead and do a 1:1 adaptation is out of question for me though, because he reuses a lot of stuff done in the past and Toei can do some great things on their own.

About the DBS arcs already animated, excluding obviously BOG and ROF, I would really love to have a remake of them as TV Specials like One Piece anime does for its arcs. TOP animation/art quality is top as it is, but something like FT Trunks arc really deserved a much better production.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.