Contemplating Vegeta's position in and outside the DB Universe

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaGyunia
Regular

Contemplating Vegeta's position in and outside the DB Universe

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 am

Vegeta has had throughout the entirety of DBZ and DBSuper instances in which not just himself (deluded or not) but many other Z fighters and/or enemies recognized he surpassed Goku. Of course we know Goku has always been, is and will always be number one, the hero, the most important, regardless of individual tastes, this will always be factual, regardless of whether or not he ends up (finally!) matching his degree of strength (strongest entity that has ever existed in any Universe, period) to his importance in the Dragon Ball Universe, and regardless of how actually important or decisive his actions are to defeat the next enemy, and the next. Vegeta is the only one who was "threatened" to be pushed to the sidelines (DBSuper also "recovered" many forgotten Z fighters in the proper manner, but nothing coming even close to Vegeta) and, in a mixture of his sheer determination as the core of his personality which he regained after "surrendering " to Goku in the end of DBZ, the general cryout from countless Vegeta fans, and... the simple fact that, having regained his posture and composure with the aim of, besides everything else at the same time, overcoming Goku, decisively (!), he's rationally and through intense training tapped on his genes and determination and pride to become close to Goku, equal to Goku, and here and there (temporarily) even above, without being immediatelly surpassed again like before.

DBSuper gradually but quickly showed us that we don't have just one star (and by star I do mean star): Goku. We have two, and one cannot exist without the other, and not just with short appearances, but key roles, fighting together the same, always with the shared aim of becoming always stronger than themselves, than everyone else, and than each other (this last one applies more specifically to Vegeta towards Goku).

I personally don't really care in whom the protagonism falls. To me it is the power, the strength that counts, a mixture of personality, determination, resillience, other characteristics, and ultimately strength. Vegeta doesn't like or need to be liked. His entire essence fits the very definition of anti-hero, not hero. Vegeta as a hero wouldn't be Vegeta.

Since, like I wrote before, the stage will necessarily be set for Goku to be the star, the main entity in the Dragon Ball Universe regarding importance/popularity/protagonism, how close do you think Vegeta will come to it when it comes to getting things done, from now on, and how much will Vegeta's instances of temporarily surpassing Goku last?

I think that if Vegeta had to choose between being stronger than Goku but weaker than numerous other fighters throughout the universe(s) or being stronger than everyone else in all of the universe(s) except for Goku, or even being equal to him, he would choose the first. It just so happens that by pursuing the first you also get gradually closer and closer to manage the second, little by little, one after the other. It would take something absurdly overwhelming in terms of displays by Vegeta of his superiority at all levels that matter to everybody around him whose opinions he cares about, and absurdly stretched in time, like torture, crushing, smashing, for Vegeta to reclaim the sense of "purity" and regaining of his true, original, self (before he met Goku) without becoming completely evil again: I think most true Vegeta fanatics out there know what I mean by this and understand that everything can be alright in Vegeta's world, but there will always be that... that thing he just cannot swallow and will always refuse to swallow even if it drives him crazy or kills him: that clown is stronger than him. That, above anything else in the universe, must not be. Maybe so much time and developments passed to crush this sense that Vegeta is tamed and/or the process is irreversible. It is by smart identification of a gigantic number of Vegeta fans when opposed to Goku fans that the creators have since long (and continue to do so) designed not only to have Vegeta come back from what seemed his end in the franchise (killed by Freeza, sacrificed against Buu) but to have him at least temporarily be number 1 (several instances in DBZ and DBSuper) when it comes to Goku (and, inherently or implicitly, everyone else, at least potentially - Goku will keep on defeating stronger and stronger opponents, somehow, and Vegeta will do the same by fighting side-by-side with him, but his ultimate goal is surpass Goku, because the rest... he can do whatever Goku can, which is limitless, apparently, according to Saiya-jin genes.