What kind of future arcs do you think will happen?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What kind of future arcs do you think will happen?

Post by Psajdak » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:05 pm

Personally, even if series goes canonically beyond EoZ, somehow I doubt Uub will ever be given all that much attention.
DBGT tried to do something with him, but in the end, it really felt like his only purpose was always just so that there is someone who will be trained by Goku in that open ended, well, ending of the original story.

Same goes for Angels, because no matter how powerful they may be, there just doesn't seem any reason for them to become central figures of the arc.

As for what I could see happening; honestly, I believe that at some point, one day, certain pre Saiyan saga arcs, and characters will again become relevant - high level DBZ-like fighting with flying and big beams will simply become tiresome for the new generations of fans, even more people will "discover", and prefer classic DB sagas, and ask for more of that.

For what is worth, we may see the old fashioned revival of Red Ribbon Army, like Neo Red Ribbon Army but on somewhat bigger scale, and including soldiers even outside Earth, or Universe 7 for that matter.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: What kind of future arcs do you think will happen?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Its a personal desire of mine that the Monkey King himself will finally make an appearance in the story and cause trouble for Goku and the others. DBM's interpretation of the character existed just to have the characters of DB crap on him in a fight which was really disappointing, not unlike the Wizard Magazine fight which had DBZ Goku effortlessly defeat Superman. :roll:
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:00 pm

My wish is as follows:

Granola Arc (half the length of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc, focusing more on other characters for a change)

EoZ (Uub training with Goku arc) - maybe have Vegeta train Cabba while visiting Sadala .... and then to end the arc have Uub vs Cabba in a fight. This bout will prove between Goku and Vegeta which one is the best master.

Movie/OVA of Yamoshi when he became a Super Saiyan and how he evolved into a Super Saiyan God, etc

An arc of Frieza returning as a threat one last time before finally being killed off permanently.

A complete rehash/retelling of the Evil Shenrons, but this time using the Super Dragon Balls. Make the threat multi-universal. Involve Jiren, Hit, Goku, the angels, the G.O.D.s , etc (this would be the final arc with Goku and Vegeta being the main characters)

Spin-off series with Uub being the main character including Trunks, Goten, Bra, Pan.

I'd be happy to see something like this happen.

PowerLevel Science

Post by PowerLevel Science » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 pm

- PTO history arc or movie. About Cold, Snow, Freezer and Kikono.

- Roshi history.

- DBO Saga.
Programmer, scientist, writer and journalist. English is not my first language.

Ultimate power levels list (2007 - 2022):

Power levels studied since 2007.

Chronology: coming soon.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:36 pm

An arc featuring U6 Planet Salada for sure
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Since you're asking what we think will happen, not what we want to happen...
Psajdak wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:05 pm As for what I could see happening; honestly, I believe that at some point, one day, certain pre Saiyan saga arcs, and characters will again become relevant - high level DBZ-like fighting with flying and big beams will simply become tiresome for the new generations of fans, even more people will "discover", and prefer classic DB sagas, and ask for more of that.

For what is worth, we may see the old fashioned revival of Red Ribbon Army, like Neo Red Ribbon Army but on somewhat bigger scale, and including soldiers even outside Earth, or Universe 7 for that matter.
I do think there's a possibility that Dragon Ball will eventually proverbially implode like this, getting stuck in a sink state of forever rehashing or reusing old ideas, old characters, old arcs, old everything. Actually, it seems almost inevitable as long as modern Dragon Ball keeps being made without any end in sight. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be written like this just yet. (Ignoring the stuff written for Heroes, anyway.) Dragon Ball Super has kept at least a decent portion of originality so far, even if there are some signs of that possible implosion that shine through the cracks sometimes, and some stories are definitely less creative and original than others. (Golden Frieza? Goku Black? Literally Broly? Okay then...) I just hope we don't start seeing a downward trend.

As for concrete expectations... Who knows? I expect that another Z movie villain, or maybe a GT villain, will be remade and featured in a movie or arc at one point, but that's really it. Maybe a U6/Sadla arc will happen too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:22 am

- A visit to Universe 6 and Planet Sadala
- The villain who killed Jiren's master
- Rematch with Beerus
- Frieza putting his next plan into action, having fully tamed Broly.
- GT or Cooler remakes?

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Planet Sadala without any doubt!

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Psajdak wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:05 pm Personally, even if series goes canonically beyond EoZ, somehow I doubt Uub will ever be given all that much attention.
DBGT tried to do something with him, but in the end, it really felt like his only purpose was always just so that there is someone who will be trained by Goku in that open ended, well, ending of the original story.

Same goes for Angels, because no matter how powerful they may be, there just doesn't seem any reason for them to become central figures of the arc.

As for what I could see happening; honestly, I believe that at some point, one day, certain pre Saiyan saga arcs, and characters will again become relevant - high level DBZ-like fighting with flying and big beams will simply become tiresome for the new generations of fans, even more people will "discover", and prefer classic DB sagas, and ask for more of that.

They kind of already done this in a way. The Red Pants Army that was introduced in DBO. They were allied with the Time Breakers/Dark Empire and had stronger/updated versions of old characters along with new characters of course.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 pm

They brought back all of the Universes, they must have plans to use them. I would like to see Universe 9 come back to get pay back on Universe 7.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:00 pm Movie/OVA of Yamoshi when he became a Super Saiyan and how he evolved into a Super Saiyan God, etc
I think there's potential for this story, but I can't see it being told without a modern, parallel component. In other words, I don't think we'd see a Dragon Ball movie without Goku, or at the very least a Goku stand-in. Bardock and Son Goku Jr. are the only characters that have carried a DB story without Goku...except for Trunks, which I don't think would jive as well with Yamoshi. I don't expect Goku is a direct descendent of Yamoshi (although he could be), so to imagine this story line, I feel we must also imagine a modern story - involving Goku and friends - to go along with it.

Additionally, an ancestor of Goku's could be part of the 6 good-hearted Saiyans.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:17 am

Most likely the Z-Fighters visit Universe 6 (and other universes, but 6 is most likely) to meet the Saiyans of that universe and have a battle.

But I'd like to see Goku end up facing an edgy demon lord and fighting him. After fighting gods and angels, that should be a cinch.

"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 am

batistabus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 pm
Super Murjin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:00 pm Movie/OVA of Yamoshi when he became a Super Saiyan and how he evolved into a Super Saiyan God, etc
I think there's potential for this story, but I can't see it being told without a modern, parallel component. In other words, I don't think we'd see a Dragon Ball movie without Goku, or at the very least a Goku stand-in. Bardock and Son Goku Jr. are the only characters that have carried a DB story without Goku...except for Trunks, which I don't think would jive as well with Yamoshi. I don't expect Goku is a direct descendent of Yamoshi (although he could be), so to imagine this story line, I feel we must also imagine a modern story - involving Goku and friends - to go along with it.

Additionally, an ancestor of Goku's could be part of the 6 good-hearted Saiyans.
I agree, they wouldn’t make a movie without Goku. But they could make a TV special about Yamoshi, or could find some way to tie-in and show his story in a future arc or even in the current one if it’s going to dig deeper into the history of Saiyans.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am

Psajdak wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:05 pm "As for what I could see happening; honestly, I believe that at some point, one day, certain pre Saiyan saga arcs, and characters will again become relevant - high level DBZ-like fighting with flying and big beams will simply become tiresome for the new generations of fans, even more people will "discover", and prefer classic DB sagas, and ask for more of that.

Excellent! I think for the series to continue after Super has its run they have to do 1 of 6 things.

1. Next Generation story: Either with or without Uub. I mean, either as a direct follow up to DBS set with the younger characters currently in the cast, or during a far removed future arc (such as Dragon Ball Online), or even going to an entirely different universe to focus on a new cast.

2. Reboot. Retell the story with a bigger emphasis on each arc, adding details, characters, motivations, and lore. Flesh out the mechanics of the power system using more than just implications. Dive into the lore like Toei did with characters such as Mutaito, Kami, Piccolo and the Saiyans. And maybe even change some things around a bit, making for a more complex and engaging story.

3. Introduce something to shake up the balance of power. My preferred way is to introduce a sort of Negative Ki/Ki-Zero or piercing ki and ki negation as a way to make a certain subset of weaker characters once more dangerous to the higher eschalon of tanky fighters. These fighters would be able to hurt or even kill the much stronger character with a will placed blow even though they are considerably weaker. This isn't even necessarily for the humans, but mainly useful for new dangerous foes so they don't always have to be "The Strongest Guy Ever".

They could also introduce a new type of power that is completely superior to ki. Ki-Zero could be that as well. Meaning that basically everyone including Goku and Vegeta would have to start from 0 with this new system of ki because its just that much better. I was hoping God Ki would be this, but so far god ki's been a dud. It doesn't do much that normal ki cannot also do.

Other ways include a soft reboot of sorts and having Goku, Vegeta, and some other god tier fighter going against gods and angels and demons from different dimensions/timelines/etc, and leaving mortal opponents behind entirely. I imagine this being a way to cut the weaker members of the cast out of the picture entirely and focusing purely on the powerhouses (Jiren becoming the new Piccolo, Hit becoming the new Tien, etc.) You can think of it as a scenario where Zamasu does some crazy sh** to come back to life and convinces other gods, demons, and angels from all different universes and timelines to join his cause. Maybe that leads to a god vs mortal war. I can see that actually especially if they do want to use the weaker members of the mortal cast.

4. Same universe, same time period, new protagonist. Turning Goku and Vegeta into the benchmarks and having other characters take over the focus of the show, such as Goten and Trunks or even someone completely new to the scene. Could be a great way to refocus the show around a weaker character who is striving to be the best.

5. Spin-off shows. I think Dragon Ball Super Heroes counts as one. You could even say that about GT since at this point it's looking like an alternate timeline spinoff. But more things in the vein of this. I could even see them doing Reincarnated as Yamcha though I'd rather see more in-depth stories about our current cast such as Yamcha's life as a bandit or even what the hell he does day to day nowadays. Maybe I just want a purely slice-of-life DB show with some slapstick and a touch of action. A show about another universe would also count as a spin-off whether its canon or not. And that is another point, these don't have to be canon to the main story.

6. A bold new direction with current content. DBS: Broly was a decent start with experimenting with the art-style to find something more pure. I think the same could be done with the way the stories are told, especially with the anime. I'm thinking a more personal and grounded touch could honestly breathe a lot of fresh air into the series, something a little more dramatic and less ... IDK the word I should use, but "plain" or "utilitarian" comes to mind.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:18 am

Nothing concerning the Makaioshin? They've been one of the most hotly speculated concepts to focus an arc around since as far back as maybe the Future Trunks arc. You would have to take advantage of some creative licence to make them physically viable as threats but I feel something could be done with the realm that Dabura comes from.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Arcs full of retcons and stupid things excused with "but it's Toriyama hurr durr!". The Granolah Arc started off fun and interesting, but the last chapter is a joke.

My ideal future arc? Next Generation in END OF Z period. I was hoping for definitive ending for Super but that is not happening, so I'll be pleased with time skip, so we can see adult Trunks and Goten. Yeah, my "modern DB expectations" are THIS low and yet it still feels impossible to happen.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm

I don't have full story arc ideas, but these are things I would like to see happen:
  • Goten and Trunks age and look Cell arc Gohan's age, or a little older.
  • Goku develops full blown angel powers and becomes immortal but is forbidden from interfering with mortal affairs. This sets the stage for the next generation of heroes, but allows for Goku to stick around as a mentor.
  • Beerus dies protecting Earth and Vegeta takes his place as God of Destruction.
  • Piccolo gets a power up and becomes relevant again.
  • Goku trains Uub and he becomes the main hero of Dragon Ball.
  • The weaker Z warriors become permanent Galactic Patrol members and go on missions regularly.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:42 am

At this point I'm expecting a large, multiversal-sized conflict involving a varied villainous team. I think it's inevitable. The multiverse was invented for a reason, 4 universes were exempt from the ToP for a reason... the writers are likely saving all of this for a massive arc about a multiversal war, which will conclude the Super storyline and lead into the End of Z and then the Next Generation.

I also think that Toriyama will borrow some elements from Heroes for this great arc. Like the return of Zamasu (very popular and iconic character who sells merchandise) and the introduction of a villain who wants to dethrone Zeno (like Hearts).

This is definitely what I think will happen as the final arc of Super, it just makes sense to wrap everything up with an arc that involves all universes and a large cast of antagonists. I definitely can't see a final arc limited only to Earth or U7. It would be a massive waste and feel very anti-climactic.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm I don't have full story arc ideas, but these are things I would like to see happen:
  • Goten and Trunks age and look Cell arc Gohan's age, or a little older.
  • Goku develops full blown angel powers and becomes immortal but is forbidden from interfering with mortal affairs. This sets the stage for the next generation of heroes, but allows for Goku to stick around as a mentor.
  • Beerus dies protecting Earth and Vegeta takes his place as God of Destruction.
  • Piccolo gets a power up and becomes relevant again.
  • Goku trains Uub and he becomes the main hero of Dragon Ball.
  • The weaker Z warriors become permanent Galactic Patrol members and go on missions regularly.
These are all perfect. Dragon Room should hire you and start working on all of these right away.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-