DBS treated Goten and Trunks really bad

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

DBS treated Goten and Trunks really bad

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Goten and Trunks was treated really bad in DBS, everytime they showed up with motivation to train and fight, it would always end up with them getting forbidden. Here are the examples below
  • RoF = Forbidden and when they show up they are told to leave. Bulma acted childish toward Freeza, no one told her to leave.
  • U6 vs U7 = Forbidden with 0 chance to prove themselves by training in the ROSAT.
  • Future Trunks time line = Forbidden with again no chance to prove themselves.
  • ToP = Forbidden and kept secret
  • Broly = Forbidden and kept secret
  • Moro = Forbidden and kept secret, although it was good that Goten and Trunks was pissed off at Gohan for keeping secrets.
Goten is even forbidden from sparring with his own father Goku. Goten and Trunks are forbidden from training with Vegeta and Whis. Goten and Trunks are forbidden to join any battle or train with any professional. They are forbidden from knowing any dangers and keeping any danger secret from him, like the invasion on earth.

Goten wanted to go to Whis with Goku to get Super strong, but Chi Chi didn't allow that. When Goten and Goku got away from Chi Chi, Chi Chi alerted Bulma to stop Goten. Chi Chi claimed there are no bad guy, however there was no bad guy in Future Android Saga and Future Goku Black Saga, but since Future Gohan and Future Goten were weak they were killed.

We don't watch Dragon Ball to see characters forbidden 100%, we see Dragon Ball for the action. Imagine if Gohan was 100% forbidden that would have been boring. Good thing in DBZ Chi Chi compromised, unlike her DBS self who 100% forbids everything. Too bad Chi Chi in DBS lost her Buu Saga character development.

Then there is the problem that Goten and Trunks doesn't age one bit, when Goku grew from each tournament. Compare Goku from 21st Martial Art Tournament to 22nd Martial Art Tournament and you see the growth.
Compare Goten from Buu Saga to Moro Chapter and there is no growth.

In EOZ Goku and Vegeta mentions Goten and Trunks got lazy due to the peace time on earth, but in DBS we see that isn't true at all. They were lied and kept secrets so they do not join any battle. We see that they want to train and battle, but they are not allowed.

Some may say that Goten and Trunks acts like brats or maybe their fusion, however there is a thing called character development. Every character in Dragon Ball got character development, why should they be the exception? Why should they be the only one to get forbidden, when other does stupid things and worse.

Goku stupidity got Future Trunks time line erased. Buu falling asleep in a test and making Beerus angry was stupid of him and not taking his fight seriously. Lets not forget Vegeta helping Cell by protecting him from Trunks and Buu by getting possessed on purpose and killing thousands to force Goku to fight him. Lets not forget Vegeta and Goku destroying the potara.

Here are all of Vegeta stupid things he has done, yet no one stops him from training and fighting:
  • Making Freeza transform into his 2nd form, to decrease their chance of winning.
  • Helping Cell by letting him get away on purpose and to make it worse protected Cell from getting killed by Future Trunks.
  • Choosing to side with Cell over his son Future Trunks.
  • Getting possessed by Babidi on purpose.
  • Killing thousands of innocent people just to force Goku to battle him.
  • Battling Goku knowing that is helping Buu revive.
  • Destroying two times the Potara.
  • Vegeta refusing to fight together to beat Freeza, which puts the planet at risk.
  • Destroying the ROSAT two times.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBS treated Goten and Trunks really bad

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Goten maybe. Trunks got plenty of stuff in the Goku Black arc.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:44 pm Goten maybe. Trunks got plenty of stuff in the Goku Black arc.
Future Trunks was the one that did plenty of stuff, while Present Trunks didn't do anything except give a pep talk to his Future self.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah, in a roundabout way it's fitting that they don't physically grow, because they simply aren't given any chances to do anything, so they don't get experience and thus they stay the same.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:46 pm

Not having them in the ToP was a missed opportunity. Seeing Gotenks get paired up with Piccolo again and hearing Piccolo say "I'm getting too old for this shit" would have been hilarious. And all of his wacky techniques would have made the Tournament really fun and interesting.

It's interesting that prior to Super, Dragon Ball had almost always had a prominent child character in the spotlight. Most of DB had Kid Goku, Z had Gohan, then Goten and Trunks, and GT had Pan.

It's understandable because it gives the target audience someone to relate to. But then Super doesn't need Goten and Trunks to fill that role anymore, as Goku has regressed to his childhood personality.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:50 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm Yeah, in a roundabout way it's fitting that they don't physically grow, because they simply aren't given any chances to do anything, so they don't get experience and thus they stay the same.
We didn't see Uppa from DB Goku vs Grandpa Gohan until the Buu Saga, yet he grew up when he did nothing all that time. All he did was send energy to Goku Genki Dama. Uppa didn't stay the same.
90sDBZ wrote:Not having them in the ToP was a missed opportunity. Seeing Gotenks get paired up with Piccolo again and hearing Piccolo say "I'm getting too old for this shit" would have been hilarious. And all of his wacky techniques would have made the Tournament really fun and interesting.

It's interesting that prior to Super, Dragon Ball had almost always had a prominent child character in the spotlight. Most of DB had Kid Goku, Z had Gohan, then Goten and Trunks, and GT had Pan.

It's understandable because it gives the target audience someone to relate to. But then Super doesn't need Goten and Trunks to fill that role anymore, as Goku has regressed to his childhood personality.
Seeing Goten and Trunks fight Caulifla and Kale would have been cool, then them fusing would have been better, we could have seen Gotenks vs Kefla. They are all teenage Saiyans.

When I used to be a kid, I used to enjoy watching kid character fight since I was a kid myself. However this doesn't happen with DBS. Why would anyone want to see Goten and Trunks not doing anything.
Last edited by super michael on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Something that I always liked in the original manga, is how Chichi was never implied to make Goten study like his older brother, that's because, unlike Gohan, Goten never had any interest on being a scholar or anything, he liked to fight and she let him, not only that, but it's also mentioned that she was training him, while Gohan was studying.
And then Super became a thing, and he suddenly can't be part of the story anymore, because he needs to study, which I don't think will ever be important to his development or anything, it's just an excuse to get him out of the way. As for Chibi Trunks... well, he's there along with half of the cast, having lots of fun doing absolutely nothing
she/they.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 pm

People who complain about the children's lack of screentime in Super are missing one important factor: They are fodder.

They are fodder, they wouldn't last 10 seconds in a major fight. Goten is literally fodder who got oneshot by Goku Black AS SOON AS HE GOT HIS BODY. Trunks isn't much stronger either. They could possibly eliminate other fodder in the ToP, but then they would probably kill someone because they are stupid children who can't control their powers.

Training can only carry you so far. If your opponent is so unfathomably stronger than you, you can't close that gap through training alone, you need a miracle.

Children had some spotlight in Z because the villains of Z were not so strong. In Super the antagonists are literally universal, what can a bunch of teens do against someone who can literally blow up the universe? And as for Pan, isn't she a very controversial and hated character, because she rarely does anything useful and constantly needs to be saved by her grandfather and/or Trunks?
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:57 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:50 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm Yeah, in a roundabout way it's fitting that they don't physically grow, because they simply aren't given any chances to do anything, so they don't get experience and thus they stay the same.
We didn't see Uppa from DB Goku vs Grandpa Gohan until the Buu Saga, yet he grew up when he did nothing all that time. All he did was send energy to Goku Genki Dama. Uppa didn't stay the same.
Yeah, I know. Just to be clear I'm not in favor of them not growing up and definitely think it's bullshit they haven't, it's just weirdly fitting that it doesn't happen, since the powers that be won't let them do anything anyways.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:02 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 pm People who complain about the children's lack of screentime in Super are missing one important factor: They are fodder.

They are fodder, they wouldn't last 10 seconds in a major fight. Goten is literally fodder who got oneshot by Goku Black AS SOON AS HE GOT HIS BODY. Trunks isn't much stronger either. They could possibly eliminate other fodder in the ToP, but then they would probably kill someone because they are stupid children who can't control their powers.

Children had some spotlight in Z because the villains of Z were not so strong. In Super the antagonists are literally universal, what can a bunch of teens do against someone who can literally blow up the universe? And as for Pan, isn't she a very controversial and hated character, because she rarely does anything useful and constantly needs to be saved by her grandfather and/or Trunks?
Fodder isn't a good reason to tease them and forbid them. Krillin and Tien literally got 1 hit ring out in the ToP, yet they were not forbidden.

Goten was killed by Goku Black thanks to his mum who doesn't let him train. That is why in the story they should let Goten and Trunks train, so they don't remain fodder.
Goten, Trunks and Gotenks never killed any innocent person, why would they kill in the ToP? If they can't control their power, then teach them like Piccolo did to Gohan.

DBZ villains were strong, they could blow up planets and solar system.

DBS is ignoring GT, that is why they have kid Pilaf gang and Kibitokai unfused.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:04 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:50 pm Seeing Goten and Trunks fight Caulifla and Kale would have been cool, then them fusing would have been better, we could have seen Gotenks vs Kefla. They are all teenage Saiyans.

When I used to be a kid, I used to enjoy watching kid character fight since I was a kid myself. However this doesn't happen with DBS. Why would anyone want to see Goten and Trunks not doing anything.
Completely agree. Gotenks and Kefla could've had some great back and forths with their cocky personalities and techniques.

I was really happy Gohan finally got his comeback. It's just a shame Gotenks didn't get the same.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 pm People who complain about the children's lack of screentime in Super are missing one important factor: They are fodder.

They're only fodder because the writers decided to make them fodder. They could have easily written them to be stronger (like they did with several other characters with no justification). How does including Roshi, Krillin, and Tien in the ToP over them make any sense from a strictly logical perspective?

17 was written to be SSB Tier with zero explanation because of pure fanservice. Same with Frieza. Meanwhile Gotenks was actually one of the strongest characters in Z, but we're expected to believe he'd have been out of his depth in the ToP.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:05 pm

I've always felt that Goten 's existence was unnecessary. Goku and Chichi already had a son who had a lot of character development. Goten was never going to live up to Gohan and all throughout the Boo arc, he felt like he was just there to come bounce Trunks's dialog off of.

Even that moment when he met Goku for the first time seemed inconsequential -- cute 10 seconds of the anime and panel in the manga, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, Trunks was necessary... because from him, came future Trunks, who was really the catalyst who brought on the entire cyborg and Cell arcs. So, obviously, kid Trunks needed to exist and it was a great little footnote that Vegeta had an offspring just like Goku, but it felt like Trunks's entire existence in the Boo arc was a mere byproduct of the future Trunks stuff.

It just never felt like anyone had any ideas for the kids and it bled through hard into Super. Even GT use then better, although I would point out that the weren't kids. Maybe the whole "kid heroes" thing got out of everyone's system with Gohan.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:11 pm

When the Buu Saga came I was surprise to see that Goku and Chi Chi had a second kid, I thought that was great a new character to the addition. Then when they showed their skills and the ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at a young age without any trouble even better.
Remember Goten is the first Saiyan to be born from parents that has Super Saiyan unlocked and even mastered.

Their training in the Gravity Chamber, with Gohan and their battle in the tournament was great.

Then when they learned fusion that just made things better, since they don't have any pride about not fusing that makes it even better.

When EOZ came I thought it was bad that Goten and Trunks turned into slackers, we knew why Goten became a slacker since he prefered to date and Trunks is unknown. I thought with DBS we know when they became but it turns out DBS and EOZ contradicts each other.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Goten and Chibi Trunks are two silly kids who care about having fun more than anything else. They don't have any of this pride bs that most Martial Artists have, they don't care about it as long as they can fight strong opponents, that's what makes them fun.
she/they.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm

It's no big deal to me usually, but I do find it odd that they don't play a part in the Moro arc, when the situation was clearly set up to give a lot of warriors a spotlight, even if just for a little while (even Yamcha!).

Everyone is present except them at this point, when it would have been easy to use them just for a little while against henchmen or Seven-Three like they did with other characters in this arc.

Also, I'm not one who gets infuriated by the fact that they don't grow up, but I would still like it if they were at least the same size as Gohan during the Cell Game.
I know you want to have kids around in the team, but back at the Cell Game, Gohan was the youngest and he was a small teenage-size, so you could do the same with Goten and Trunks without a risk of "losing" the presence of kids around. Even Ash Ketchum in the Pokemon series is Cell Game Gohan's size and it doesn't feel like it's too tall and too old to appeal to kids.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:32 pm

17 was written to be SSB Tier with zero explanation because of pure fanservice.
I agree that there is a missed opportunity to use them but is using 17 fanservice? Does he have that many fans?

Yes his being that strong doesn't make sense but what they did with his personality was genuinely interesting and that's what matters not the power scaling stuff.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:18 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:32 pm
I agree that there is a missed opportunity to use them but is using 17 fanservice? Does he have that many fans?
If anything Super gave him a popularity boost after being in his sister’s shadow in Z and being part of the most hated GT arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm

considering how immature Goten and Trunks are, you'd think that would make it easier to come up with somewhere to go with them
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:28 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Yes his being that strong doesn't make sense but what they did with his personality was genuinely interesting and that's what matters not the power scaling stuff.
Future C17 was killing humans for fun and he never got that strong. But DBS C17 fighting human poachers got him really strong, something doesn't add up. In the manga there are Cell Jrs, it would have been great if the explanation was that C17 trained with Cell Jrs, but sadly it seems C17 doesn't train at all in the manga.

I hope in the new chapter we get to see Goten and Trunks fight and train. I hope they are not forbidden from doing so and the adults doesn't keep secrets from them.

I hope their design change and they older instead of younger.
Last edited by super michael on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

I just wish they would stop acting like those two are the same age they were during the Boo saga. It’s especially jarring with Trunks, because we saw what his future self looks like at 14.