Everything Wrong with Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Everything Wrong with Dragon Ball Super

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 am

super michael wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 am Where was it mentioned that Toei used "amateur writers or interns" to write DBS? I seriously doubt that a series as big as Dragon Ball Super would be written by amateur writers.
Sorry it looks like I am wrong, I might have heard so much from member saying it is done by interns instead of experienced writers, that I actually thought there was a real source. Looks like I am wrong and no source exist.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was a joke. There's no way Toei can't afford professional writers.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:47 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 pmAnd it's funny people here saying that GT is better, when in fact GT not only has a lot of the same problems that the Super has, but also enhances them even more.
Mind to provide a few examples? Specifically ones that "enhances" Dragon Ball Super's problems.
The whole '' Goku's show '' thing. If people complain about the lack of activity of the DBS support cast or the excessive focus on Goku, have they even stopped to think about the GT? Goku is at the top and no one even comes close. Even Vegeta can only manage to stay with him in the last arc. Goten, Trunks, Gohan and Oob are totally wasted.

Poorly executed ideas? Black Star DB arc and the whole mess of the Super 17 arc. Even the Shadow Dragon Saga isn't nearly as interesting as its ideas or concepts seem. The Baby arc is pretty much the best thing that GT has.

How many battles does the GT have that are really impactful or memorable? DBS had several problems with art and animation, but in terms of battles, the series has a good track record (at least in the most important fights) and is much better than the GT.

Inconsistencies? Bad powerscaling? As many problems as DBS has.

You can say that the GT took more risks by touching a part of DB that had not yet been explored, but in general for the most part the series is lackluster and not nearly as enjoyable as the original or even compared to DBS (although this point is much more subjective)

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 pmAnd it's funny people here saying that GT is better, when in fact GT not only has a lot of the same problems that the Super has, but also enhances them even more.
Mind to provide a few examples? Specifically ones that "enhances" Dragon Ball Super's problems.
The whole '' Goku's show '' thing. If people complain about the lack of activity of the DBS support cast or the excessive focus on Goku, have they even stopped to think about the GT? Goku is at the top and no one even comes close. Even Vegeta can only manage to stay with him in the last arc. Goten, Trunks, Gohan and Oob are totally wasted.

Poorly executed ideas? Black Star DB arc and the whole mess of the Super 17 arc. Even the Shadow Dragon Saga isn't nearly as interesting as its ideas or concepts seem. The Baby arc is pretty much the best thing that GT has.

How many battles does the GT have that are really impactful or memorable? DBS had several problems with art and animation, but in terms of battles, the series has a good track record (at least in the most important fights) and is much better than the GT.

You can say that the GT took more risks by touching a part of DB that had not yet been explored, but in general for the most part the series is lackluster and not nearly as enjoyable as the original or even compared to DBS (although this point is much more subjective)
GT didn't waste Goten, Trunks, Uub and Gohan, they were all involved in GT battle and story. Heck Trunks was the side kick in GT, the one to repair the space ship and the voice of reason between Goku and Pan.
C18 was the reason that Goku was able to beat Super 17.

As for the Shadow Dragon I don't know why only Goku and Pan went looking for each Shadow Dragon, they could have got the others to join in the Dragon Ball hunt instead of just Goku and Pan. Goten and Trunks goes as a pair to fuse for one Dragon Ball, Goku and Pan as another pair, Gohan goes to one Dragon Ball, etc.

The whole space adventure was actually interesting, we got to see other planets in the universe and new aliens.

Power scale GT is better, there is nothing worse than this power scale in DBS:

DBS SSB Goku holding back = DBS C17 holding back
DBS Base Goku > DBS C17 and C18 in the black hole.

SSB Goku Kamehameha << Kale Berserk
SS2 Goku exhausted > Caulifla and Kale in control who is stroner.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 am

What's wrong with DBS?
It's a japanese product.
And japanese products are, before everything else, products.

DBS is aimed to introduce millennials to the franchise (more precisely to the last DBZ part), and so everything repeat from the start, but just the winning tropes.
I mean, Blue is SSJ back again.
You don't even need a serious plot for that, kids don't like or need complex premises. Just an inciting moment and go with the flow.

If you don't like DBS, is not their responsibilty. You're just consuming the wrong product.
Ask the regular kid if he noticed Vegeta lack a reason for Blue.
At the same time, ask the kid if sound plausible storywise (I mean, in the sense of a story structure) that Goku turned Sayan God THAT WAY.
The kid can't reply, he doesn't have enough pregress narration knowledge to understand that introducing the main plot element THAT WAY is SILLY, IDIOT, WRONG, INSULTING... Not in Dragon Ball, in ANY possiible story for people above 12.
But the kid doesn't even notice, he doesn't care, he coudl HATE for a more complex premise. So, no need to give him more.
*PUF* ritual, SSJG. Whoa, R I T U A L, what an uncanny thing! The kid that doesn't own a story structure sense doesn't feel cheated, he does feel rewarded instead!

So, that's what wrong with DBS: if you're watching a kid show aimed for kids and you lament that doesn't look like a seinen. Like lamenting your peach doesn't taste apple.
That's what wrong.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 am

ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 am What's wrong with DBS?
It's a japanese product.
And japanese products are, before everything else, products.

DBS is aimed to introduce millennials to the franchise (more precisely to the last DBZ part), and so everything repeat from the start, but just the winning tropes.
I mean, Blue is SSJ back again.
You don't even need a serious plot for that, kids don't like or need complex premises. Just an inciting moment and go with the flow.

If you don't like DBS, is not their responsibilty. You're just consuming the wrong product.
Ask the regular kid if he noticed Vegeta lack a reason for Blue.
At the same time, ask the kid if sound plausible storywise (I mean, in the sense of a story structure) that Goku turned Sayan God THAT WAY.
The kid can't reply, he doesn't have enough pregress narration knowledge to understand that introducing the main plot element THAT WAY is SILLY, IDIOT, WRONG, INSULTING... Not in Dragon Ball, in ANY possiible story for people above 12.
But the kid doesn't even notice, he doesn't care, he coudl HATE for a more complex premise. So, no need to give him more.
*PUF* ritual, SSJG. Whoa, R I T U A L, what an uncanny thing! The kid that doesn't own a story structure sense doesn't feel cheated, he does feel rewarded instead!

So, that's what wrong with DBS: if you're watching a kid show aimed for kids and you lament that doesn't look like a seinen. Like lamenting your peach doesn't taste apple.
That's what wrong.
Isn't it weird that DBS manga and DBS anime are written for the same audience, but one gets more complain than the other?
What about DBS anime to DB and DBZ/DBZ Kai, how is it that DBS was getting more complaint than its past counter parts? Even now people still complain about DBS.

When DBZ BoG, DBZ RoF and DBS didn't exist, did people complain about DB and DBZ? Did they get as much complaint as DBS?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:49 am

super michael wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 am Isn't it weird that DBS manga and DBS anime are written for the same audience, but one gets more complain than the other?
What about DBS anime to DB and DBZ/DBZ Kai, how is it that DBS was getting more complaint than its past counter parts? Even now people still complain about DBS.

When DBZ BoG, DBZ RoF and DBS didn't exist, did people complain about DB and DBZ? Did they get as much complaint as DBS?
Yes, people complained about the original series as it was being released, kids on the schoolyard and adults around the (both literal and proverbial) water cooler.

We're all receiving/perceiving more complaints because we have thirty years worth of advancements in things like global communication. Anyone can fire off a half-hearted whine-fest in the blink of an eye, and said whine-fest can travel further and faster than ever before.

Super is still the most recent thing, so that's what people focus on. People were focused on GT for quite a long time after it was finished, too. This cycle isn't anything new; it's the technology driving the criticism that's evolved.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:49 am

Being aimed at kids is not an excuse for lazy stories. I repeat, the target demographic is not relevant to the story. Just because children and preteens are watching the series doesn't mean they're blind to a series' flaws.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:50 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:23 am
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:03 pm One thing I did not liked at all was the retcon about Potara not being permanent on non-Godly users.

The narrative may be boring sometimes.

And other things here and there seemed a little bit rushed too.
Z's problem. Z introduced that plot hole.

Old Supreme Kai said that the Potara fusion was permanent, and yet Vegito defused inside of Majin Buu's body for no factual reason.

Super corrected a plot hole caused by Z.
Well, ok, maybe so!

But at that time people just had the explanation that it could be because of Buu's body.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:04 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am

GT didn't waste Goten, Trunks, Uub and Gohan, they were all involved in GT battle and story. Heck Trunks was the side kick in GT, the one to repair the space ship and the voice of reason between Goku and Pan.
C18 was the reason that Goku was able to beat Super 17.

As for the Shadow Dragon I don't know why only Goku and Pan went looking for each Shadow Dragon, they could have got the others to join in the Dragon Ball hunt instead of just Goku and Pan. Goten and Trunks goes as a pair to fuse for one Dragon Ball, Goku and Pan as another pair, Gohan goes to one Dragon Ball, etc.

The whole space adventure was actually interesting, we got to see other planets in the universe and new aliens.

Power scale GT is better, there is nothing worse than this power scale in DBS:

DBS SSB Goku holding back = DBS C17 holding back
DBS Base Goku > DBS C17 and C18 in the black hole.

SSB Goku Kamehameha << Kale Berserk
SS2 Goku exhausted > Caulifla and Kale in control who is stroner.
I strongly disagree, GT literally wasted everybody but Goku.
Uub appeared in episode 1 and vs Baby... to lose, to fuse and to lose again, and then to do some stupid stall from Baby's insides so the rest that was so far away from Goku, could only help by lending their power to revive SS4.

Trunks went to space (because he stopped training) and that's it, he was part of one of the most boring, critizised and less action-packed part of the show. On Earth he became one more of the fodder bunch and almost dies in a car crash. The adult version of Trunks being there just to repair a spaceship and be the voice of reason between two kids is being wasted. Compare that to Future Trunks.
Goten and Gohan only got like one or two episodes when Baby came to Earth, Goten is a dater, Trunks is a CEO! Their only fights were vs Z fodder and that lasted like 2 episodes!!
In the S-17 arc they were all treated like just one fodder character to hype the villain, they didn't even get to do that on their own, it was a group fight that hardly looked like a fight, and in the final arc, well, you said it, only Goku and Pan went to search for the dragons. Even Vegeta appeared for real around episode 60 out of 64. Uub only served to hold Ih Shenron by the neck and then ask to fuse with somebody... just to get shot down.

Not only that, Goten and Trunks were removed from the typical Z lifestyle, and Gohan retired from fighting. Gohan didn't even get a comeback, the writers planned one for him but scrapped it. They literally wrote the show with them out of it, as afterthoughts.

Not wasting adult hybrids would've been introducing adult Gotenks, have Uub actually do something besides grabbing Baby's colon, and have Gohan... fight. None of that happened.
Besides Goku and Vegeta, the earthlings fought Z fodder, Baby-possessed friends and attacked Super 17 while he was cleaning his shoes, while having 7 dragons that were faced by just one character, guess which character.
That's the definition of wasted characters to me.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:14 pmNo, what's truly dispiriting is how these complaint threads always complain about things that were already in the original Dragon Ball series.

Endless transformations -> DBZ has like 10+ forms across its main characters.

Power creep making Saiyan forms useless -> Already started in the Androids arc, with 17 and 18 clowning on Super Saiyan Vegeta.

Plot holes -> There were several in DBZ.
In the Fan Comic Compilation thread I made that lists a few dozen fan comics, I've heard this argument used a grand total of...zero times. If it isn't used for amateur fanwork, I can't understand why it needs to be used for a professional sequel. It's a whataboutism that doesn't address any of the criticism and only attempts to excuse it by claiming "X happened before therefore you should accept it continuing indefinitely". Try to apply this logic to any other form of entertainment and it makes no sense. The other problem with this argument is that you have to assume the other person has a double standard and only complains about these issues in DBS. This forum goes all the way to 2004 so fans have been discussing the original for years.

A sequel is an extention of the original series. Whatever issues it has only adds to the existing problems of the franchise and it's not some quota that needs to be filled. GT had two additional transformations for Saiyans but it's not two for GT vs however many for Z and rather two additional forms for the franchise as a whole.

Everyone has a different opinion where they draw the line of a series going too far. There were many fans who thought DBZ had enough transformations, plot holes, excessive power creep since it already went far beyond what most shonen reaches so of course they would take issue with a sequel doing it even more. It's perfectly acceptable if you don't mind them but no reason to generalize and attack anyone who doesn't share this opinion or at least try to offer a different counterargument.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:05 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am The whole '' Goku's show '' thing. If people complain about the lack of activity of the DBS support cast or the excessive focus on Goku, have they even stopped to think about the GT? Goku is at the top and no one even comes close. Even Vegeta can only manage to stay with him in the last arc. Goten, Trunks, Gohan and Oob are totally wasted.

Trunks and Goten not being relevant fighters doesn't mean they are wasted because that wasn't their lifestyle. Especially Trunks. Sure, he became more background character after first arc, but he was very useful in those space adventures. In fact, they both did more than they ever did in Z and especially Super. What did they do exactly? They existed without each other. Goten even got his own 1vs1 fight with main villain. They weren't just two halfs of Gotenks, but separate characters. Gohan wasn't wasted either, he isn't a fighter. When he was really needed, he fought. That's enough. I can only agree with Uub. He indeed was wasted after Baby arc. he did worse against Super 17 than Vegeta. He saved Gohan from Rildo and bought time for Goku against Syn but that's it. Yeah, he deserved more totally.

Shadow Dragons arc seems very subjective, because i see a lot of people saying "only 3 last dragons were good" while i think Eis and Syn were one of the worst dragons. Haze, Oceanus and Naturon were far more interesting to me. The only one worse than those two was Rage, he sucked.

Also, somehow OG DB being Goku show was never big problem for most. It's not that i don't agree (partially) that GT shouldn't have focused so much on Goku and at least give Vegeta and Pan more impact, but Goku was always main character anyway. Also if you see most of fights in GT, barely any fight was won by Goku without anyone's help. Baby would've killed Goku twice if he wasn't saved and Super 17 would've killed him as well if it wasn't for his deep care about his sis. Goku alone was useful and useless at the same time.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:13 pm

Actually, DBS is, chronologically speaking, not a sequel to Z. It takes place between Dragon Ball Z episode 289 and 290 (the 10 year time skip), right? So that means Super is an interquel. An interquel is an installment in a series of works that happens between two of its predecessors. This fits the description of Super - a story that takes place between the time that Goku killed Pure Boo and the time of the End of Dragon Ball Z.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm
Your preference is your preference, but again I have to ask, "What kind of story do y'all think you've been reading all this time?" Unless you hate all the Tournament arcs in all of Dragon Ball on principle (in which case, fair enough - I'll give you the strength of your convictions), it seems like a double standard to me.
"I just ate a fuckton of spaghetti, I'm absolutely sick of it, and I never want to eat it again."

"LOL YOU THINK MAYBE THE REASON YOU HATE SPAGHETTI IS BECAUSE YOU JUST ATE A FUCKTON OF SPAGHETTI, I MEAN HYPOCRISY MUCH"

Like, what
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm
Your preference is your preference, but again I have to ask, "What kind of story do y'all think you've been reading all this time?" Unless you hate all the Tournament arcs in all of Dragon Ball on principle (in which case, fair enough - I'll give you the strength of your convictions), it seems like a double standard to me.
"I just ate a fuckton of spaghetti, I'm absolutely sick of it, and I never want to eat it again."

"LOL YOU THINK MAYBE THE REASON YOU HATE SPAGHETTI IS BECAUSE YOU JUST ATE A FUCKTON OF SPAGHETTI, I MEAN HYPOCRISY MUCH"

Like, what
Is that kind of hostility really necessary? I'm simply saying that doing down Dragon Ball for doing what Dragon Ball does is...a weird take, for a Dragon Ball fan. Is that very contentious, or something?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:31 pm Is that kind of hostility really necessary? I'm simply saying that doing down Dragon Ball for doing what Dragon Ball does is...a weird take, for a Dragon Ball fan. Is that very contentious, or something?
To say that Dragon Ball has little to offer except tournament arcs and therefore it's strange to have a problem with the 76th asinine iteration they've managed to cram in sideways is probably the bizarre take here.
Special Beam Cannon!

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:31 pm Is that kind of hostility really necessary? I'm simply saying that doing down Dragon Ball for doing what Dragon Ball does is...a weird take, for a Dragon Ball fan. Is that very contentious, or something?
To say that Dragon Ball has little to offer except tournament arcs and therefore it's strange to have a problem with the 76th asinine iteration they've managed to cram in sideways is probably the bizarre take here.
This is a flat misrepresentation of what I have said. What I have said is that they're a staple of the whole series (not just Super) - which is pretty unarguable - and that, like every other arc, they deserve to be judged on their actual merits (or lack thereof), rather than simply personal predilection.

There's nothing bizarre about that. But you'll have it your own way, I'm sure.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 pm

Alright well I don't want to just re-quote my spaghetti post but you're kind of forcing me to, so
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm "I just ate a fuckton of spaghetti, I'm absolutely sick of it, and I never want to eat it again."

Like, what
I didn't hate spaghetti before I ate a fuck-ton of it. Since the spaghetti eating occurred in the past, here in the present I am now sick of it.
Special Beam Cannon!

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:20 pmI didn't hate spaghetti before I ate a fuck-ton of it. Since the spaghetti eating occurred in the past, here in the present I am now sick of it.
I regret to inform you that the sentiment, 'I remain deeply attached to this thing that is shot through with content I have grown to despise, so to Hell with this other thing that's made in its image', is not the model of unquestionable common-sense reasonableness that your hyper-confrontational attitude presumes.

Whatever else that may be, I can hardly see that it's something "Wrong" with Dragon Ball Super.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 am

Not to keep repeating myself but here I am repeating myself again
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pmTo say that Dragon Ball has little to offer except tournament arcs and therefore it's strange to have a problem with the 76th asinine iteration they've managed to cram in sideways is probably the bizarre take here.
I also happened to mention earlier that Super has dozens of episodes made up of movie retellings and filler, in case that point was missed.

"Why do you even like DB anymore tho"

Because the Broly movie
Special Beam Cannon!

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:24 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 amNot to keep repeating myself but here I am repeating myself again
You don't need to, I got that misrepresentation of my position the first time. You're not actually answering anything I've said substantively with it, because whether it's an "asinine iteration" would kind of depend entirely on the actual merits of the specific case, which your predetermination to hate said content deliberately reckons without. Repeatedly asserting the same talking point like it's some sort of self-evident fact does nothing to change that.

Moreover, on the question of what they each 'have to offer': by page count, Dragon Ball is approximately 30% Tournament content, and Dragon Ball Super is currently approximately 35% Tournament content, and set to fall further over the course of the coming arc (and approximately 2% of it is movie retellings, to address your other gripe in passing). Seems pretty comparable, to me.

Since you're determined to do little else other than copy-paste your previous statements, though, is there much point in continuing the exchange?
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 amI also happened to mention earlier that Super has dozens of episodes made up of movie retellings and filler, in case that point was missed.
It wasn't missed; it's simply that you took up the issue with me on the specific matter of Tournament arcs when I questioned it as a general sentiment that a number of different posters have expressed in this topic and in the past (which naturally may include, but is not limited to, yourself), which is why I haven't really ranged further afield than that.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 am"Why do you even like DB anymore tho"

Because the Broly movie
'Kay.