Should Toei start making Dragon Ball "What If's" ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Toei start making Dragon Ball "What If's" ?

Post by Trouser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm

I'd love it. I'd take any "what if...?" over modern Dragon Ball (Super) bullshit. Going further, I'd love to see (canon or not, I don't care as long if it's good) series about SSJG, Cold building his imperium, war between Tuffles and Saiyans, Jaco's manga adapted to anime, maybe even something about Ginyu Force or Tullece collecting his comrades and their struggle to found "perfect" planet for Shinseijū and more.

Possibilities are endless. Those in charge are just lazy. But... I would be too. DB is making money without anime. Why would they bother if $$$ are still coming? It's not about story or passion. It never was and never will.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Toei produced/adapted Episode of Bardock, which is about as "what-if" as a what-if spinoff can get. It wasn't good, but I digress.

In general, I don't think these provide anything substantive outside of amusing fans who want to see consequences or events unfold differently for the sake of it. The beauty of DB's plot is that it's already about wacky, unconventional consequences. I see no point in hypothetical scenarios like that, and I'd rather Dragon Ball not do anything remotely similar to the MCU.

Could work well in a video game or something, though.
Formerly Marlowe89.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 pm

I'll pretty much second what The Undying said.

Still, in the age of entertainment companies learning from Disney's model, it's possible the Dragon Ball Room might attempt something like that eventually. YouTube is LITTERED with these types of videos, but I mostly view that as fans living out their fantasy to write Dragon Ball stories. I have no problem with fans expressing their enthusiasm, but my issue is that most fan what-ifs, and even ones from the Budokai games, do not remotely feel like plausible scenarios.

On another note, "That Time I Got Reincarnated As Yamcha!" is a "what if", so there's that.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Id love to see something like this. They could have a kaioshin showing Goku events from alternate timelines / realities on God tube. They could even use this as an excuse to make GT and the movies fit into the canon universe.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 am

:wave: The movies are technically What If's. What If? Frieza had a brother for instance.

I was thinking more along the lines of "what if events that happened in the manga were depicted differently' ^^ '

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:33 am

What if: exploring an alternative using the previous premises at a plot point. creating a new hypothetical continuity.
Example - what if Goku died at Namecc explosion?

Side story: an event that happen while the main continuity progress (usually without tangent consequences).
Example - Frieza had a brother, they fight him, back to the main route.

So far, Dragon Ball got no What Ifs (and no, technically Future Trunks is not a What If. A What If is... AFTER the serie, what if Trunks never go back in time?).

I want for a what if?
No. I don't feel the urge to see people bash each other differently. And Dragon Ball is now nothing more than that.

I want for side stories?
Yeah, why not. As long as they are good episodes.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.