A Scouter is a character now

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

A Scouter is a character now

Post by batistabus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 am

I'm a big fan of Granolla's design, and Oatmil is a big part of that. The eyepatch enhances Granolla and is a character on its own. It's Steampunk with a slight emphasis toward the futuristic aspect. Whether Oatmil is an AI, radio transmission, or something else, they feel at home in the world of Dragon Ball. Is Oatmil a variation of Freeza's scouter? A prototype? Or is the voice just Granolla's imagination (not likely)? Like Merus' watch, you just want to know more about it (but more so).

Oatmil accomplishes Toriyama's way of introducing new characters in pairs while still allowing Granolla to feel like a loner.

Technologically, Oatmil has a mind of its own. They can scan and analyze. Assuming Oatmil is AI, the technology seems to surpass that of Freeza's scientists (but not Dr. Gero). Is that a clue about the Cearealians? Just because they have a retro aesthetic, that doesn't mean they can't be advanced. The Kaioshin browse the web with a crystal ball attached to a typewriter.

What can we really say about Oatmil's character point? They treat Granolla like a caretaker; always asking how he's doing and what's on his mind. They encourage Granolla to get a snack when he's feeling down. They're not cowardly like C3PO, but they don't talk at all in front of Heata. Granolla is disappointed when he misses one of Soshiru's allies, but Oatmil thinks it's no big deal. I'm sure more comes through in native Japanese, so maybe someone provide insight there.

Could Oatmil be a Wilson-style delusion? While they definitely appear to talk to Soshiru, the scene does work if you remove Oatmil's speech from the equation. There is a Scouter effect in Chapter 67, as well as Oatmil's analysis of the OGs, but I suppose the former could be the ship's systems, and the latter could be Granolla's own analysis. Ultimately, I don't think this will be the case, and I'm sure we'll learn more about Oatmil soon, but that'd be a twist...

Thoughts?

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: A Scouter is a character now

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 pm

batistabus wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 amOatmil accomplishes Toriyama's way of introducing new characters in pairs while still allowing Granolla to feel like a loner.
That's something I hadn't considered. I like that thought; good observation.

I guess right now we'd lean more towards Oatmil being more like HAL than like Wilson, but if you wanted to make an argument for the latter, it is perhaps a little unusual that Soshiru mistakes Oatmil's voice for Granola's. If Oatmil ends up being confirmed as artificial, then perhaps he's directly patterned on Granola in some way, including his voice?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:40 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 pm it is perhaps a little unusual that Soshiru mistakes Oatmil's voice for Granola's.
You really have to bend your interpretation of the manga to make it work, but let me break it down.

Oatmil says "Come inside and I'll give it to you", but the door is already open. Soshiru could have observed that without hearing the voice. Also worth noting, the speech bubble is angular like Granolla's rather than spiky like Oatmil's, but he's mimicking his voice, so nothing definitive there.

Next, Oatmil/Granola says "Up here, in the cockpit". Again, Soshiru could've noticed the cockpit as the next logical place to search without the help of any voice.

Soshiru turns the chair around, but Granolla isn't there. Oatmil says "Too bad! That was my voice." and Soshiru says "Huh?!" Again, works without Oatmil saying anything.

After sniping, Soshiru observes "He...can snipe without his goggles?!" and then looks at Oatmil, who explains the Cerealian trait. This one seems like pretty clear confirmation that Oatmil is indeed talking, as he looks back at the eye piece he already noticed, but it leaves the tiniest leeway.

Finally, Oatmil says "No stun gun for you. His next shot will pierce your heart. Get it?" while Soshiru is glancing backward out of the side of his eye. It's hard definitively say where Granolla is positioned in relation to Soshiru and Oatmil, but it's possible he's glancing back at him rather than Granolla.

"G-got it! I give up!" Soshiru appears to be straight-forwardly responding to Oatmil's "Get it?", but again, this is something he could say without comment from Oatmil. He understands the situation and doesn't want to get shot.

I know that's a lot of explaining for something I don't really believe is the case, but considering Granolla has been through a lot of tragedy, I'm just trying to be thorough...

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:52 pm

I guess I meant it more in the sense that, if you wanted to make the case that Oatmil isn't a real person or an independent AI (or anything that actually exists, but is rather a figment of Granolah's imagination), you could advance the idea that Granolah could be 'Tyler Durden-ing' it by talking over the intercom as "Oatmil" without even realising it, making a mental separation of this sort to himself, even as he speaks to Soshiru - because, one might argue, why would Soshiru mistake the voice of someone who he claims to know pretty well?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:52 pm I guess I meant it more in the sense that, if you wanted to make the case that Oatmil isn't a real person or an independent AI (or anything that actually exists, but is rather a figment of Granolah's imagination), you could advance the idea that Granolah could be 'Tyler Durden-ing' it by talking over the intercom as "Oatmil" without even realising it, making a mental separation of this sort to himself, even as he speaks to Soshiru - because, one might argue, why would Soshiru mistake the voice of someone who he claims to know pretty well?
Yeah, it could definitely work with Fight Club logic. I totally dig the theory, batistabus's point-by-point of the scene honestly makes it more convincing than less. I too noticed that there was something strange about that whole scene, how Oatmeal seems to speak on behalf of Granola like they have the same voice.

There's also the fact that Oatmeal somehow knows exactly what Granola is dreaming, though considering his dramatic bolting awakening, it seems to simply indicate that this is a common occurrence.

Oatmeal seems to generally act as Granola's superego, telling him the logical path, that it's pointless continuing this grudge against the Freeza Force. Even by the standards of Toriyama's usual method of introducing new characters in pairs to deliver exposition quickly, there's something especially internalised about their dialogue.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:28 am

Oatmil is definitely one of the most interesting aspects of this arc for me. I loved the idea of him being an AI. But being a split personality of Granolah would be very interesting too.

I mean after losing everyone you know you may go a bit crazy ....Maybe Oatmil was a real person Granolah once knew. And that would explain why he has a name if it’s really just Granolah.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm

It's funny that the scouter has a "food" name.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:01 pm

It's unusual and new, I have to admit.

Maybe he's an upgraded or new type of scouter with an AI added? I'd like to know more.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:22 pm

Well, the delusion could explain why Otamil cover the best eye of Granolah.
A kind of identification.

There's a japanes term for people delusional about a supernatural power/a demon in their hand or eye: Chuunibyou.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm

Oatmil doesn't talk with Monaito. If Oatmil were to speak to anyone besides Granolla, you'd think it would be Granolla's roommate.

Aside from that, he continues to seem to know very little about Granolla's backstory, for whatever that's worth.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 pm

https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/13 ... 6102207488
Cipher wrote:Per an overview of Granolah after the chapter, Granolah communicates with the “mysterious entity” Oatmeel “through his goggle.”

So ... maybe Oatmeel isn’t the eyepiece. The arc’s greatest mystery.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Oatmeel the true mastermind of the arc, soon :lol:

But seriously, I believe that we will still see him later.
They seem to have a good friendship. When Granolah inevitably gets in danger, he can help, even though we have no idea what exactly he is yet. Perhaps we will see him team up with Granolah to defeat the Heeters? It would be interesting

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am

Nothing definitively moves this topic one way or another this chapter.

Oatmil speaks in front of Vegeta. Vegeta does not directly acknowledge Oatmil, which I thought he might. Granolla responds to Oatmil: "They're just trying to save their own skins." Vegeta responds "Think what you want...", but he could just be responding to what he thinks is Granolla speaking to himself.

On the other hand, Oatmil is a headset, so it's possible Vegeta wouldn't hear him even if he is an AI or radio communication.

Oatmil gives Granolla an aim-assist. Pretty cool, but kind of odd that Granolla would need that after his wish. It's unknown how advanced the technology of the Cerealians is. It's not spoken of highly like the Tsufurian technology was. Despite the steam-and-valves aesthetic, Granolla's ship is able to do advanced space things, and Oatmil's technology wouldn't seem a world apart from that. Still, the aim-assist could just be Granolla tapping into further concentration, similar to when he fought the gang of OGs.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 am

I love the aim-assist line. Granolah is a cheater, even before he made his wish.

If Oatmil is an AI, I'm expecting him to interact with 7-3 at some point... or is that too predictable?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:43 pm

It does seem that Oatmeel is an AI but at the same time if that is all he is why is he still a mystery. I like to still think there is more to it.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:39 am

In the new "How to Draw Granolah" video, Toyotaro explains that Oatmil is an AI that is stored in the earpiece:

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/movie/02_363.html

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:13 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:39 am In the new "How to Draw Granolah" video, Toyotaro explains that Oatmil is an AI that is stored in the earpiece:

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/movie/02_363.html
And Oat is confirmed to be relevant in the future. Someone might be getting possessed by it.