Suppose The Z Senshi Make Their Own Power Up?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Suppose The Z Senshi Make Their Own Power Up?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am

Like Goku or someone else finds a way to empower the other members of the team in a ritual based on their bonds & experiences? If not by raw power, maybe a boost that has something to do with their own respective techniques & talents?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Suppose The Z Senshi Make Their Own Power Up?

Post by Lionel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:34 pm

They'll assuredly play third fiddle to the juggernauts that Goku and Vegeta have been portrayed as. I can't see Toriyama shaking up the dynamics of the roster too much when he's fallen into a pretty standard routine ever since the end of the Buu arc. I think the desire and appeal is there, just that it's easier to write for and market the Saiyan duo.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 pm

This new arc seems to be hinting the Namekian lore will have some degree of importance for the plot. Maybe Piccolo will have access to some secret art from his people, possibly making him able to contend with the Saiyan duo. He reflected on his weakness when Goku showed up to fight Moro, but he seems to never give up on closing that gap, for some reason. I can only hope so.

I honestly don’t like the current attempts of making the Earthlings relevant again. Roshi developed a faux Ultra Instinct, which is great, but it only served as a tool for Goku’s growth in the end. Gohan maybe could pick up this fighting style or learn a few things from the Grand Kaioshin, but I don’t see the drive to make him go that route.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 pm

I would like to see this happen for Piccolo, but not for all of them, I don't want everyone being at God tier. I'd rather they develop some side stories where the other Z fighters can be useful at their current power levels, going on Galactic Patrol missions would be perfect for them and would make a great spin off series

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:32 am

There's a lot that's still on the table that Toriyama-san has simply not delved into. The mysticism of DB, the mysticism of the space-faring races and other cultures, the potential of human or even alien technology and its effects on organic beings, the lower godly techniques such as Kaioken, Genki collection/use and Instantaneous Movement (which even Kami knew) and of course godly and angelic techniques.

I think the earthlings, knowing how they've trained in the past would have naturally sought out other methods of strength by now, but Toriyama-san has unfortunately made them dull and witless over the years with his writing, its to the point that they seem to lack the drive and curiosity to learn anything new outside of what they picked up from training with Kami (and possibly King Kai)

There's a near infinite amount of paths these characters can pursue to stay in the conversation. Immortality + time traveling + technology + rituals + techniques can help turn any of them but especially freaking Tien into a crazy beast should he ever gain the drive to do so. Hell, if Devil Man's power is more of a technique than a racial trait then that alone could help them overcome most villains.

*The Moro arc basically showed us how fun and interesting the human fighters could have been had they delved further into the mysticism that they were known for, but all that development was given to Goku and Vegeta unfortunately, two characters that were relying on their genetics and godly/angelic power and techniques up to that point. Same with the reintroduction of Kaioken in the anime.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-