Are the Tsufruians obsolete?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Are the Tsufruians obsolete?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:49 pm

With Toriyama writing the current story about the Cerealians, I wonder if we will ever see the Tusuruf-jins again? It won't surprise me if Toriyama forgot about them which is why we are seeing a new race instead. I know Dragon Ball Heroes had a U6 Tsufuru-jins that played homage to Baby, but Heroes is its own thing and is not linked with the main series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are the Tsufuru-jins obsolete?

Post by Civic » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 pm

I'd hope not but you never know. I think Baby's concept in GT was really cool but not capitalised on enough, I'd love to see another take on the Tuffle revenge plot.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Yeah, I'd say they're becoming obsolete now. Granolah seems to be covering the "taking revenge for what the saiyans of the past did" concept, so using tuffles as the focus of a story arc after Granolah's arc would just feel like having pretty much the same backstory twice. Unless the Granolah arc ends up changing directions and doesn't go down that path after all, anyway. Also, it's not a requirement for a DBS version of Hatchiyack or Baby to specifically pull on tuffle lore, they could easily have completely different origins while still being pretty much the same characters with the same powers. So there's pretty much no reason for the tuffles to be brought into Super as more than a piece of lore.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:07 pm

If before the Granolah arc Baby had a 5% chance to become canon (if Toriyama was REALLY out of ideas), now he has 0% chances of becoming canon. Granolah has taken his spot completely in the canon story written by Toriyama.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm

No. As you yourself mentioned, Dragon Ball Heroes brought them back recently (we'd be a fool to ignore not only Heroes' popularity, but also the possibility that it was someone from Dragon Room/Shueisha that suggested that Heroes deal with them). Toriyama mentions them in one of those 2014 interviews, and there's an image which says the Universe 2 team has a Tsufurujin.

One have to wonder why they haven't been properly used yet, though.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Most likely, I mean, they have always been portrayed as extinct in the contemporary timeline. Toriyama seemingly never had interest in exploring their culture, they were only set up as background lore to compliment the Saiyans as their intellectual opposites. Even Toei's storylines have only featured weird mutants, ghosts and genetic experiments trying to avenge Planet Plant, never the true humanoid Tsufurujin race.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm No. As you yourself mentioned, Dragon Ball Heroes brought them back recently (we'd be a fool to ignore not only Heroes' popularity, but also the possibility that it was someone from Dragon Room/Shueisha that suggested that Heroes deal with them). Toriyama mentions them in one of those 2014 interviews, and there's an image which says the Universe 2 team has a Tsufurujin.

One have to wonder why they haven't been properly used yet, though.
Okay, real talk, not trying to be confrontational but I'm curious... how do you personally engage with Dragon Ball Heroes? Do you play the arcade game in Japan? Don't dox yourself or anything, lol.

I think Machine Mutant-types like Baby, Omen and Kamin have a slight chance of appearing in other stuff, mainly since that design is more iconic than the regular scouter-wearing Tsufurujin. Granola seems to fill the latter niche. As for the Universe 2 fodder guy, he was never said to be Tsufurujin in the show nor does he look anything like one -- without that one bit of background info from some magazine, nobody would ever make the connection.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:09 pm

The revenge plot was a mayor non-canon expansion, but still they were the race that coexisted with the saiyajins in Vegeta/Plant and created their initial technology for Toriyama, and considering he mentioned them again a few years ago, I would guess they still are. That said, no, I don't think they will be used again besides maybe a mention.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:01 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 pmAs for the Universe 2 fodder guy, he was never said to be Tsufurujin in the show nor does he look anything like one -- without that one bit of background info from some magazine, nobody would ever make the connection.
Who's "he"? All connection made so far is purely speculation. The image never told us who is the supposed Tsufurujin. It just says one of them is.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:39 am

I bet he doesn't even remember them.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Aren't the tsufuru only important because of Z filler and GT? In the grand scheme of things, they're just the people whose planet Vegeta 1 took over and nothing more

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Are the Tsufruians obsolete?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 pm

Unlike GT, Heroes is still on going. I do feel like the reason why Super has never done anything with the Demon Relam or the Tsufiruians because they don't want each to contracit each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/