I REALLY hope that... <MANGA SPOILERS>

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

I REALLY hope that... <MANGA SPOILERS>

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 pm

I think I speak for most fans by expressing my worries about the ending of DBS's Chapter 69. Granola in this current direction is heading to be one of the greatest antagonists in the whole canon of Dragon Ball, with Toyotarou brilliantly showing us his backstory and motivations, setting him up to be a sort of "underdog" that gains more power.

HOWEVER, if the Cereal Shen Long grants his wish to become the strongest in the universe, then it would IMMEDIATELY crumble any potential conflict and character development he would have had. It would simply be too easy and cheap. If that were to happen, he would essentially become Jiren with hair, being super powerful without any substance. But at least Jiren WORKED his way to become as powerful as he was, instead of being spoonfed by a big lizard.

With all this said, I actually think it is unlikely that this would actually happen. I cannot see how the story would continue for more than 6 chapters if he instantly became that powerful, unless there was some handicap. However, I still see it as a legitimate concern.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

emperior
I Live Here

Re: I REALLY hope the dragon does not grant Granola's wish

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm

The dragon won’t grant his wish but I doubt Granola will achieve enough power to rival Goku by training in the old fashion.

He will most likely obtain 73’s stored Merus power somehow, either through wishing for it or with some weird technique.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm

I may be totally wrong, but I think that we shouldn't worry too much about it because it is very likely that it will not work (this being the cliffhanger of the chapter also implies this). However, I think we should know how to properly set our expectations on how Granolah will become stronger.

First, because Goku and Vegeta are at such an absurd level compared to the other U7 warriors that it realistically seems impossible for anyone to reach them through natural training or without a shortcut (especially if we are talking about antagonists).

Second, we know that power ups in Dragon Ball don't usually follow rules and seem to be arbitrary at times. I mean, except for the most blatant examples (Freeza obtaining God level power in 4 months, Android 17 becoming almost as strong as Goku / Vegeta training on an island), in Saiyan arc we had Earthlings in 1 year getting stronger than Piccolo in 5 years (who was actively training to overcome Goku), or the Saiyans in the Android arc obtaining much greater gains in 1 year in RoSaT than in 3 years in preparation for the arrival of the androids. So I don't expect much development in that regard (I hope to be surprised). And since it looks like OG-73 is apparently going to play an important role in the story, I can see Granolah using him as a shortcut to get stronger (especially if he still has the powers of Merus, Moro and the z Fighters).

I also think that antagonists like him using shortcuts or morally wrong ways to get stronger may well represent their fall to the dark side. But ultimately, the preview of chapter 70 talks about "the potential of the strongest warrior in the U7", so maybe the dragon says something to Granolah or he finds out about his potential

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:47 pm

I don't think you have to worry. The dragons have limits, especially regarding power. For example, they couldn't just wish for Nappa and Vegeta to be killed in the Vegeta arc, because they were simply more powerful than Shenron. Based on that kind of limitation, I think the dragons would only be able to give people about as much power as they themselves have. They can't go above their own level of power much if at all, otherwise Shenron would've been able to grant that "kill the saiyans" wish. I know that's extrapolation/speculation on my part, but it's just how I see it. And yeah, it would also be narratively idiotic if it worked.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 pm

You know, I'm on the same train as everybody else, the don't-worry-because-the-cliffhanger-implies-it-won't-be-granted wagon, but maybe that kind of subversion will be the reason why Granola might get his wish... nah, that would make his journey short, easy, boring and meaningless. Perhaps he'll learn HOW he can achieve more power, I heard another poster talk about some old cerealean prophecy, who knows? maybe something along those lines, Granola's journey for the sacred water.
What I'm willing to bet my money on is the fact that Granola will have to work for his power up, gathering 2 DBs and asking for it sounds extremely unlikely.

Actually, this cliffhanger made me think Granola might not be the one the Oracle is talking about, we have Elecc, Gas, and even Freeza as potential 7-3's stored power candidates. Come to think of it, wouldn't Vegeta's new training regime suit Granola perfectly? he seems to have just one thing on his mind...

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm He will most likely obtain 73’s stored Merus power somehow, either through wishing for it or with some weird technique.
Of course, how could I forget? He still has the 73 stuff in his possession.

So, now I raise a question: if the dragon rejects Granola's wish, then what do you think will happen next? Will Granola ask for another wish or will the dragon disappear? I bet that he will wish for information about the strongest fighter (we all know who that is) to try get on his level.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:46 pm

7-3 has Prime Moro's power, right? the strenght SSBE and Sign Goku couldn't put a dent on. Would that be enough for someone of Granola's level to surpass UI Goku?

I mean, Prime Moro + Old Moro (between SS3 and SSG) + 7-3 <<<<<< previous arc UI Goku. If Granola really is no match for current regular Freeza, then he'd still be far from Moro arc UI, not to mention current Goku.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:47 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pmSo, now I raise a question: if the dragon rejects Granola's wish, then what do you think will happen next? Will Granola ask for another wish or will the dragon disappear? I bet that he will wish for information about the strongest fighter (we all know who that is) to try get on his level.
I doubt all this new stuff about Dragon Balls will have been introduced simply for the Dragon to 'nope out' (though if it did, I guess it would be due to Monaito dying rather than of its own volition). I'll hold it open as to whether this Dragon can grant Granolah's wish, as Monaito didn't seem to think it wouldn't be able to make Granolah more powerful - only that he shouldn't try it.

It's possible that if the Dragon did reject the wish, then while Granolah tries to think of another the Heeters might get involved at a suitably dramatic moment - the last Chapter left them on a hook of knowing that Namekians made Dragonballs and that a Namekian lives with Granolah, while having their curiosity piqued as to their potential value. They might get to make a wish of their own.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:58 pm

I actually DO hope that the wish is granted though.. I really don’t mind “cheap” undeserved powerups. Especially when it’s something new that we haven’t seen before. (Like a WISH! Made by the Dragon Balls!) Now we finally get a smart and useful wish for once, one that simply says (“Make me stronger/the strongest”) And people still complain.. Now you’re perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I, for one, can certainly appreciate this nice change of fresh air and turn of events.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Maybe instead of the most powerful fighter, it makes him the most skilled fighter. The Dragon seems to know a lot of stuff about warriors.

Also, with him being a sniper, it made me think that this will be a season about Goku learning to use ultra instinct when his guard is down. To avoid sneak attacks.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Re: I REALLY hope that... <MANGA SPOILERS>

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:56 pm

It would be neat if the dragon granted his wish...but Granolah had to go fight others in order to grow instead of just suddenly being the strongest being in U7. Each time he'd fight someone he'd become stronger (not to mention gaining fighting experience), but it'd take a while to (potentially) get to UI Goku, Beerus, etc.

He'd get his wish, but he'd have to work for it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:57 pm

This topic title has also secretly been changed. Did Kanzenshuu get new mods or something?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:31 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:58 pm Now we finally get a smart and useful wish for once, one that simply says (“Make me stronger/the strongest”) And people still complain.
Because it would be narratively boring. With all the new material that's being revealed and new ground being broken, one (ie: me) must hope that the series progresses from these sorts of wonky writing decisions.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 am

I personally don't think the wish will be granted, as it seems to easy, especially this early in the story. If it is however, it will just prove what I've been saying for the longest time, which is the writers incapability of living up to any potential their ideas have. Again, I don't think it will happen, but the chances of it not aren't exactly low either.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 pmMaybe that kind of subversion will be the reason why Granola might get his wish... nah, that would make his journey short, easy, boring and meaningless.
This basically describes everything we've gotten after the BOG movie. I can't remember how many times I and others said no way (insert here) would happen because it would be too easy, meaningless, etc... only for it to happen. Fans should keep their expectations in check, because we've been down this road many times in the past (many times in the last arc alone) where fans got their hopes up only for the writers to somehow make the absolute worse decision and disappoint everyone.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 am
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 pmMaybe that kind of subversion will be the reason why Granola might get his wish... nah, that would make his journey short, easy, boring and meaningless.
This basically describes everything we've gotten after the BOG movie. I can't remember how many times I and others said no way (insert here) would happen because it would be too easy, meaningless, etc... only for it to happen. Fans should keep their expectations in check, because we've been down this road many times in the past (many times in the last arc alone) where fans got their hopes up only for the writers to somehow make the absolute worse decision and disappoint everyone.
I apologize for asking this newbie question, but: what were some instances of fans saying that something would not happen because it was stupid, only for it to happen anyway?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 amI apologize for asking this newbie question, but: what were some instances of fans saying that something would not happen because it was stupid, only for it to happen anyway?
RF's "the worst wish in history" had fans thinking of all kinds of theories regarding what it could be. A number of people said maybe they're just bringing some villain back and it was empty hype, only to be laughed out of the forum...they didn't know how right they were.

Everyone was speculating on the role Monaka would have in the Champa arc, and like with Freeza, someone said maybe it was just one big gag, but no one believed they'd do that. What made this one so bad was the fact that both Buu and Piccolo were also wasted.

When the tournament of power was announced and we found out that the losing universes would be erased, a good number of fans thought that it would result in a follow up arc to bring them back or something similar. Like with other things mentioned here, some assumed that maybe they'd just undo absolutely everything by the end. Again, fans didn't believe it because surely there'd be some price to pay, as that'd be too easy and make the whole arc meaningless...and they were right.

When the Broly movie was announced as a movie that would explore the Saiyans' history, fans were speculating and hyping up Toriyama's potential origin for the Saiyans, as all we had up to that point was the Bardock special and minus. A number of fans (not many though) mentioned that maybe it was just a Broly remake, and that this history they're talking about will be more or less what we already know about.

Now very recently in the Moro arc everyone was speculating on what kind of a devastating 3rd wish Moro could've made with the Namakian dragon balls, and like the examples above, people said we shouldn't get our hopes up as it could just be for hype, and they were right.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:24 pm

In sum, you didn't get what you wanted and that makes things bad or stupid.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:32 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:24 pmIn sum, you didn't get what you wanted and that makes things bad or stupid.
You're right, I wanted stories that lived up to what came before them and they didn't. It must be easy having 0 expectations for things as you end up enjoying whatever's put in front of you.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:40 pm

No, he isn't right. Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman aren't really the kind of stuff I'm looking for in a modern Dragon Ball, yet, I find them to be the last good things released "from the main series".

Clearly this isn't the case of "didn't get what I want = bad". Just that even what we don't want, it can still end up being terrible at the end of the day.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:50 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:40 pm No, he isn't right. Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman aren't really the kind of stuff I'm looking for in a modern Dragon Ball, yet, I find them to be the last good things released "from the main series".

Clearly this isn't the case of "didn't get what I want = bad". Just that even what we don't want, it can still end up being terrible at the end of the day.
That's what I'm saying. All I want are stories that live up to their potential, and I'm not getting that. I'm not demanding any specific story or plot point to turn out how I would've done them, just to live up to their full potential.