Goku's copied moves throughout the Tournament of Power (anime)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Goku's copied moves throughout the Tournament of Power (anime)

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:11 am

One detail I like about the anime's Universe Survival arc is the fact that Goku uses a variety of his allies' techniques, sometimes in quite subtle ways. They did a pretty good job of building up the theme that Goku couldn't have come as far as he has without his friends (wish they didn't hammer it in with that amazingly subtle Power of Friendship speech at the end, but whatever), giving him an arc about coming to acknowledge their impact on his life and their trust for each other. Yes, Mr. Flat Character Arc himself had an arc. This is also present to some extent in the manga, more in relation to his growth as a martial artist and remembering his masters' teachings. Here are some of the examples I picked up:

Taiyoken (Solar Fist) -- Inventor: Tenshinhan

This one's fairly easy to spot, as Goku even mutters an apology to Tenshinhan that he's about to steal his technique. Maybe Kuririn should start giving due credit as well, seeing as he's even more prone to thieving it, to the point that many forget Tenshinhan invented it in the first place! In the T.o.P., he uses the light-emitting technique to stun Caulifla, sending her flying blindly into a rock for some serious damage. This isn't the first time Goku's used the technique by any means, as he's been using it semi-regularly since the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai where he pulled it out against Tenshinhan himself, much to everyone's shock. The move has always proved useful and Goku witnessed the devastating effectiveness of Kuririn's amped up version, the Taiyoken x100, while spectating Gohan and Kuririn's sparring match prior to the tournament.

Kienzan (Circle Ki Blade) -- Inventor: Kuririn

Goku busts the Kienzan against Jiren, but not just any Kienzan. He specifically imitates a multiplied, controlled version of the technique that Kuririn used against him during their sparring match on the helipad. But Goku, being Goku, one-upped Kuririn's version by throwing out six discs at once, dubbing it the Kienzan Hexa-Blade. He covertly manipulates the sixth disc to slice through a stalagmite hanging over the ledge of the main stage that he and Jiren were fighting on, taking the grey alien by surprise and sending him plummeting into the void. Kuririn gets psyched that his technique nearly defeated the strongest guy in the tournament. However, in one of the most egregious instances of plot armour bullshit, Jiren magically footstools on a few pebbles to propel himself back onto the arena despite being clearly out of bounds. I mean seriously, Kuririn got teleported to the bleachers after barely being knocked a footstep off the ledge. I guess it just goes to show that ingenious martial arts strategy really doesn't count for anything in Dragon Ball anymore. Sigh. Goku has used the technique before as well, most notably to cut the Gotenks-absorbed Majin Buu in half after returning to Earth.

Zanzoken (Afterimage Fist) -- Inventor: Karin (though first used in the series by Kame-Sen'nin)

A technique that everyone and their mother has used at this point, in some way, shape or form. Invented by Karin but first seen by Jackie Chun in the very first tournament arc, Goku busts it out against Caulifla. With the Afterimage Technique being deemed an amateur misdirection technique by most characters by the time of later tournament arcs, Caulifla's inexperience shows through as she's easily confused by it, though she does quickly catch on.

Suibidan (Chasing Bullet) -- Inventor: Piccolo

I initially saw this as more like Yamcha's Soukidan technique, but looking at it, it's more similar to the homing ki blasts patented by Piccolo. This is another move Goku busts out against Caulifla to confound her, and it's actually the move that takes her down for the count.

Death Beam -- Inventor: Freeza

I may be reaching with this one, but Goku casually potshotting Caulifla and Kale with this finger gun motion seems to be inspired by Freeza. Many other characters have used "finger blasts" ( :wink: ), from Taopaipai to Piccolo Daimao, but Freeza is best known for his relaxed demeanour when firing the move, plus he's more relevant in the context of the Tournament of Power.

Rapid Super Saiyan God-Super Saiyan Blue Shifting -- Inventor: Vegeta (manga continuity)

You may have to accept a bit of intertextuality with this one. In the Super manga continuity, Vegeta pioneers a method to maximise the energy efficiency of the godly forms by rapidly switching between Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue against Goku Black. This doesn't appear in the anime version of the Black arc, but Goku later utilises the exact same thing against Dyspo in the anime's Tournament of Power. Goku actually managed to steal one of Vegeta's moves from across dimensions. That's almost impressive. In any case, the Toei staff were clearly inspired by Toyotaro's idea and implemented it into the anime.

Ki Landmine -- Inventor: Son Gohan?

The way this move is utilised by Goku in the T.o.P. seems to be original to him, but I was eagle-eyed enough to spot that Gohan seems to use a very similar move earlier during his (weirdly aggressive) sparring match against Tenshinhan. He points his finger and fires a tiny shining ki blast which detonates on contact with the ground. Might just be a coincidence that they look similar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's on top of all the usual "stolen techniques" Goku regularly makes use of, including the Genki Dama, the Kaioken and the Kamehameha. Thoughts?
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Goku's copied moves throughout the Tournament of Power (anime)

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 am

I totally forgot about the God-Blue Switch vs Dyspo. I enjoy when the anime and the manga exchange their techniques, too bad it was just a one-time thing because the Switch is really cool.

The landmines where a treat, wonder who did Gohan learn that from?

Funny that Goku apologises to Tenshinhan like if only one Taiyouken at a time could be used or like Tenshinhan gets mad when people use his stuff.

It's not in the anime but Goku has been busting out the hakai in the manga, which is weird because Goku only witnessed that technique in the anime, he wasn't there when Manga Beerus erased Manga Zamasu.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 am Funny that Goku apologises to Tenshinhan like if only one Taiyouken at a time could be used or like Tenshinhan gets mad when people use his stuff.
It’s a direct lift from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, where he apologizes for taking Tenshinhan’s technique before using Taiyo-ken against him.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 am I totally forgot about the God-Blue Switch vs Dyspo. I enjoy when the anime and the manga exchange their techniques, too bad it was just a one-time thing because the Switch is really cool.

The landmines where a treat, wonder who did Gohan learn that from?

Funny that Goku apologises to Tenshinhan like if only one Taiyouken at a time could be used or like Tenshinhan gets mad when people use his stuff.

It's not in the anime but Goku has been busting out the hakai in the manga, which is weird because Goku only witnessed that technique in the anime, he wasn't there when Manga Beerus erased Manga Zamasu.
I wonder if Vegeta perhaps did pioneer the God-Blue switch in the anime offscreen. Whether he did or not, I'd like to have seen him use it against Broly, seeing as they went to the effort of incorporating his Super Saiyan God state.

At this point, Tien must have accepted that his techniques are totally public domain. :lol: Goku at least has the common courtesy to credit him.

Yeah, the manga's Zamasu arc definitely has some major holes. Toyotaro's fast-and-loose approach kinda backfired with that one. As shocking a moment as it is, Goku using it raises way, WAY too many questions and just comes off as a cheap stunt. Roshi vs. Jiren has a similar feel, though the latter was slightly better incorporated into the narrative.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 am

He also nicked a move from a different series at one point- Yusei Urameshi's spirit gun during the Caulifla and Kale fight.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Doesn't he say "tenshinhan I'm stealing your move" when he uses it on ape vegeta too?

Yeah he's being a classy dude and crediting his pal.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

TheQuestioner

Post by TheQuestioner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:03 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:11 am Rapid Super Saiyan God-Super Saiyan Blue Shifting -- Inventor: Vegeta (manga continuity)

You may have to accept a bit of intertextuality with this one. In the Super manga continuity, Vegeta pioneers a method to maximise the energy efficiency of the godly forms by rapidly switching between Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue against Goku Black. This doesn't appear in the anime version of the Black arc, but Goku later utilises the exact same thing against Dyspo in the anime's Tournament of Power. Goku actually managed to steal one of Vegeta's moves from across dimensions. That's almost impressive. In any case, the Toei staff were clearly inspired by Toyotaro's idea and implemented it into the anime.

Ki Landmine -- Inventor: Son Gohan?

The way this move is utilised by Goku in the T.o.P. seems to be original to him, but I was eagle-eyed enough to spot that Gohan seems to use a very similar move earlier during his (weirdly aggressive) sparring match against Tenshinhan. He points his finger and fires a tiny shining ki blast which detonates on contact with the ground. Might just be a coincidence that they look similar.
Vegeta didn't invent the shifting between forms first technically. Goku did in the fight against Hit in the manga.
Vegeta did do it rapidly but in this case, it's not really a new technique.

You could say that Goku took the appearance of Gohan's technique but it's not really the same either. Gohan's version is just a blast that explodes when it lands on the ground. Not really similar to a landmine.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

The landmines were from the U11 guy who was helping dyspo with Hit.

Also Goku using the 6 disc variant of kienzan was great and made me hope for a brief moment there was gonna be Jiren's brute strength felled by superior technique.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Lmao I never noticed Goku didn't see Hakai in the manga. Classic Toyo.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm The landmines were from the U11 guy who was helping dyspo with Hit.

Also Goku using the 6 disc variant of kienzan was great and made me hope for a brief moment there was gonna be Jiren's brute strength felled by superior technique.
It technically did, no? During his fight with UI Goku it's implied he's stronger but going through a breakdown that leads to Goku beating him, and in the actual final battle they have to ring him out because that's all they can do

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:01 am

Well well well, if this isn’t a big coincidence.. I don’t know what is..

But What If Theories is finally back again, and made a video ON EXACTLY THIS TOPIC today..!

https://youtu.be/ztRCHV8Ym5I

(Goku needs to develop his own style according to him and Toyotaro!)