I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am

precita wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 am
Do people really expect the Moro arc to be 1:1 when its adapted? Not counting random fillers thrown in here and there.

I think story wise it might be altered. I think Goku throwing the senzu bean to Moro will be cut in the anime. The backlash to that was too strong and it doesn't feel like something Toriyama had in his notes.
Why would they cut that? It's an important plot point, plus they've never shied away from depicting Goku's in-character mistakes before. They didn't cut or alter him doing the same to Cell.

User avatar
Aim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:23 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:56 am
Toei's been such a monster of a studio lately that it feels almost unrecognisable from their output back in 2015. One Piece looks better than ever at the moment. I'm really excited to see their next Dragon Ball Super anime, whether it be a series comeback or another movie.
Maybe they’ll sack Yamamuro as well and move away from his disgusting style.

kemuri07
Regular
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:24 am

The smarter decision is to just adapt the manga into movies. That way you don't have the pacing issues that plague the Super anime.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am

kemuri07 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:24 am
The smarter decision is to just adapt the manga into movies. That way you don't have the pacing issues that plague the Super anime.


Wel, i know there are a lot of people that would not like that to happen.
But if it guarantuees the overall quality of the end product, they may adapt every new arc into a movie for me.
The Moro arc is definitely rewritable into a movie script.
On a movie budget, moreover, they can always guarantuee the spectacular action sequences (battle vs Earth Moro and stuff like that) being well made.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15105
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:06 pm

I feel like both Moro and Granola are so far better suited to movies than a weekly series. I wonder if they weren't both ideas that were shopped around as potential plots for the 2018 movie that weren't used then in favor of Broly's name recognition.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Skar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Skar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm

I wonder how the Moro arc could be adapted into a movie. I recall most of it was written by Toyotaro with supervision from Toriyama so maybe they only focus on what Toriyama was directly involved or came up with himself. Adapting the entire arc would take at least 20 episodes so a lot would have to be cut to turn into a 90 minute movie. There are many anime compilation movies that adapt an entire season or arc into a movie so I guess it can be done but I worry if it would feel too rushed.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 am

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by ZodiacBeast » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Make Moro a longer movie - or make it two movies.

Yeah, right. :lol:

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:40 pm

I don't know if they'd be able to adapt the Moro arc into a movie without making some severe changes. Demon Slayer did it with the Mugen Train arc, but that was 13 chapters of a weekly series adapted into an almost 120 minute film. It was true to the manga as well.

If Toei do decide to adapt the arc and want to adapt it faithfully, a series is the best way of going about it. 26 chapters that are 45 pages long each would not translate well into a film without cutting out a massive chunk of the story or making some severe changes. A 13 episode season would probably be enough to faithfully adapt the arc into an anime.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2103
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Sligo, Ireland

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:15 pm

I'd like an adaptation of the Moro arc to be anywhere between 30 and 50 episodes, although either could do it justice if done right. Would be nice to see a good old style long form Dragon Ball story arc in the anime again and Moro has the potential for it.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by omaro34 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Peach wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:49 am
We're in a world wide pandemic right now. A dragon ball super continuation would take years of planning. I'm sure the state of the world has complicated a lot of things behind the scenes. When it starts to settle down, i'm sure we'll see a new movie.
There were 2 years before the pandemic started that the hiatus was going on, I just think Toei and company are just satisfied with the status quo to be honest.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ObnoxiousNamek
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 am

omaro34 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:20 pm
Peach wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:49 am
We're in a world wide pandemic right now. A dragon ball super continuation would take years of planning. I'm sure the state of the world has complicated a lot of things behind the scenes. When it starts to settle down, i'm sure we'll see a new movie.
There were 2 years before the pandemic started that the hiatus was going on, I just think Toei and company are just satisfied with the status quo to be honest.
Idk man it just seems like a waste for Toei to leave easy money on the table like that. & what was the point of creating the dragonball room in toei & shueisha if you arent gonna continue the series longterm?

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:15 pm
I'd like an adaptation of the Moro arc to be anywhere between 30 and 50 episodes, although either could do it justice if done right. Would be nice to see a good old style long form Dragon Ball story arc in the anime again and Moro has the potential for it.
Oh God another ToP arc? That was like 60 episodes long... I don't know if I have the energy for it. I remember that, even though the final 10 or so episodes of the arc were amazing, I was just burned out after like 30 episodes taking place in the same battlefield...
And yet you still have the desire to fight me, don't you? Go ahead and challenge me all you like until you realize your own sheer impotence.

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Moro felt like a movie villain so having that arc be a movie will make me laugh hard.

Granola is a Toriyama story so it must be adapted.

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Peach » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:56 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:20 pm
Peach wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:49 am
We're in a world wide pandemic right now. A dragon ball super continuation would take years of planning. I'm sure the state of the world has complicated a lot of things behind the scenes. When it starts to settle down, i'm sure we'll see a new movie.
There were 2 years before the pandemic started that the hiatus was going on, I just think Toei and company are just satisfied with the status quo to be honest.
Toei made a TON of money off the theatrical release of Broly. I bet they're just waiting until theatrical movies have a market again. Maybe another year or two?

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5880
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by precita » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am
precita wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 am
Do people really expect the Moro arc to be 1:1 when its adapted? Not counting random fillers thrown in here and there.

I think story wise it might be altered. I think Goku throwing the senzu bean to Moro will be cut in the anime. The backlash to that was too strong and it doesn't feel like something Toriyama had in his notes.
Why would they cut that? It's an important plot point, plus they've never shied away from depicting Goku's in-character mistakes before. They didn't cut or alter him doing the same to Cell.
If Moro gets an anime arc you don't think the majority of scenes would be different besides maybe the intro and the ending? Look at how different the Goku Black arc was in the anime and manga. Besides the initial introductions and backstory...literally everything else was different. The whole final climax was different for goodness sakes, and that's something I thought Toriyama would have mandated.

User avatar
Skar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Skar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:07 pm

precita wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 pm
If Moro gets an anime arc you don't think the majority of scenes would be different besides maybe the intro and the ending? Look at how different the Goku Black arc was in the anime and manga. Besides the initial introductions and backstory...literally everything else was different. The whole final climax was different for goodness sakes, and that's something I thought Toriyama would have mandated.
Both versions were adapting Toriyama's outlines before but Toei might decide to use the manga as a reference and add more scenes from there since that's likely less work for animators than adapting text. I recall Toyotaro saying he'll be more involved with the anime moving forward. I'm pretty sure that was from an interview during the ToP when he said he'll be ahead after that.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 am

precita wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 pm
Kataphrut wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am
precita wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 am
Do people really expect the Moro arc to be 1:1 when its adapted? Not counting random fillers thrown in here and there.

I think story wise it might be altered. I think Goku throwing the senzu bean to Moro will be cut in the anime. The backlash to that was too strong and it doesn't feel like something Toriyama had in his notes.
Why would they cut that? It's an important plot point, plus they've never shied away from depicting Goku's in-character mistakes before. They didn't cut or alter him doing the same to Cell.
If Moro gets an anime arc you don't think the majority of scenes would be different besides maybe the intro and the ending? Look at how different the Goku Black arc was in the anime and manga. Besides the initial introductions and backstory...literally everything else was different. The whole final climax was different for goodness sakes, and that's something I thought Toriyama would have mandated.
The reason the anime and manga were so different is because they were both adapting the same story outline while running in parallel. A story outline that was most likely written on a napkin.

If the anime were to return, I imagine it would just do what most anime adaptations do, which is follow the pre-existing manga version and occasionally expand on or add things where they can. Especially with Moro, since it was supposed to be Toyotaro's story anyway.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5880
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by precita » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:48 pm

While that's true, I definitely don't think an anime Moro arc would be a panel by panel adaption. The scenes will definitely run longer, probably some filler eps thrown inbetween, and the outcomes may be written differently.

User avatar
Hugo Boss
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:14 pm

If Dragon Ball Super ever comes back, I certainly would like it to be around 20-25 each arc. There is no need to make 50 episodes out of only one arc, specially one that feels so slow paced.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:05 am

I predict that the entire climax of the Moro arc will be changed, Moro won't merge with the Earth but will do something different and equally cataclysmic. The reason is simple. Zamasu already merged with the Earth and entire multiverse in the anime, so it would be very redundant to have another villain who merges with the Earth as last resort. A wild prediction, but something I genuinely see happening based on past evidence. Like how Black's scythe never appeared in the manga (as his clones would have been too similar to Fused Zamasu cloning himself in the manga).
And yet you still have the desire to fight me, don't you? Go ahead and challenge me all you like until you realize your own sheer impotence.

Post Reply