I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:51 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:23 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm It is not the silence about the anime that is weird it is their choice for a new movie AFTER 4 YEARS OF NO NEW CONTENT frankly.

I'm not sure anyone wanted a CGI movie about the Red Ribbon androids, at least that's not at the top of most popular ideas for a new movie and it certainly wasn't what people were expecting, I hope Toei/Toriyama know what they're doing here :eh:
It s a movie, it exists for the general populace. They don't have the refined tastes of an Otaku all the time.
Even the general populace/ casuals is questioning it read the comments on the Superhero trailer some I saw was wondering did something happen at Toei ? & if layoffs happened due to Covid :D
They don't care about the poor planning and over-production of the industry. Toei and all other studios are desperately trying to find new animators. It's why they're hiring high school kids and college kids from outside Japan.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:51 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 pm

It s a movie, it exists for the general populace. They don't have the refined tastes of an Otaku all the time.
Even the general populace/ casuals is questioning it read the comments on the Superhero trailer some I saw was wondering did something happen at Toei ? & if layoffs happened due to Covid :D
They don't care about the poor planning and over-production of the industry. Toei and all other studios are desperately trying to find new animators. It's why they're hiring high school kids and college kids from outside Japan.
Which I don’t understand why do anime studios try and overwork/produce so many things if don’t have the staff to do it right Specifically Toei they aren’t hurting for money at all.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:12 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:00 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Which I don’t understand why do anime studios try and overwork/produce so many things if don’t have the staff to do it right Specifically Toei they aren’t hurting for money at all.
Most studios are barely kept afloat. Furthermore, capitalism demands continual growth. The manpower shortage is due both to too many projects in production at once and pay and time being extremely bad so few people want to work in the industry.

Toei holds back on the number of drawings and complex animation in their shows to reduce the amount of time spent on one episode.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm It is not the silence about the anime that is weird it is their choice for a new movie AFTER 4 YEARS OF NO NEW CONTENT frankly.

I'm not sure anyone wanted a CGI movie about the Red Ribbon androids, at least that's not at the top of most popular ideas for a new movie and it certainly wasn't what people were expecting, I hope Toei/Toriyama know what they're doing here :eh:
A lot of people, myself for example, are much more excited about a new movie than they would be about the return of the anime. Frankly, as I mentioned earlier, the quality of the anime was so low that I'm sort of relieved it hasn't returned! The movies though... even the one I like the least, I still enjoy quite a bit.

As for the subject matter, the fact that the new movie isn't about one of "the most popular ideas" is another huge relief, and resisting "what people were expecting" is one of the cornerstones of what makes Dragon Ball fun and successful. If you want predictable, lowest common denominator fan pandering there are like 13 DBZ movies from the 90s waiting for you :D

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:39 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:18 pm

They don’t if they did they would have had Arcsys on the phone helping out tremendously with this movie. They also wouldn’t have changed the staff from Broly with cheap novice animators and fired Shintani if they knew what they were doing.

I guarantee when the new Slam Dunk movie comes out it will NOT be CGI. Then the excuse of Toei having no staff for a 2-d staff will be debunked completely.

Toei is complacent & halfass with DB because

1) the profits from Dokkan & games stay high and they get a big cut of that which can carry the franchise.

2) Fans will still buy no matter what junk they put out.
Even then it's still weird that they aren't making any new videogames, where are Xenoverse 3 and Fighterz 2, what are they waiting for :crazy: You'd think with profits for the videogames so high they'd make a sequel to a videogame that was released in 2016...

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:45 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:18 pmThey don’t if they did they would have had Arcsys on the phone helping out tremendously with this movie. They also wouldn’t have changed the staff from Broly with cheap novice animators and fired Shintani if they knew what they were doing.

I guarantee when the new Slam Dunk movie comes out it will NOT be CGI. Then the excuse of Toei having no staff for a 2-d staff will be debunked completely.

Toei is complacent & halfass with DB because

1) the profits from Dokkan & games stay high and they get a big cut of that which can carry the franchise.

2) Fans will still buy no matter what junk they put out.
Is there any evidence of this or is it just speculation? The usual assumption is that they're always trying to maximize profit but there could still be artistic choices involved. It's been four years since the last movie so they probably would've waited a little while more if they wanted traditional animation. The only way I could see them using 3D animation for the first time is if Toriyama approved it or chose it himself. The franchise still makes good money so no reason to rush anything experimental if they only care to make as much money as possible and take the safest approach.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:50 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:18 pm They don’t if they did they would have had Arcsys on the phone helping out tremendously with this movie.
Is it even legally possible for ArcSys to help in a movie's production? I think their main business is videogames. Not an expert in this regard, but I feel like they're not freelancers for hire.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 amIt wouldn't surprise me if the executives at Toei thought that DBS anime performed brilliantly in launching the brand Super worldwide and can now be laid to rest :think:
At some point even Super merch sales will be on the decline. Bandai pitched a new series to TOEI in 2009 because a show on TV was needed to sell more toys because it had been so long since GT ended. Of course we know that led to Kai's creation, but TOEI learned from that the good profits were in new content and old content wasn't sustainable long term. I am confident it will be a similar situation here whereby only a new series, not just a movie will satisfy the desire among the fanbase for more Dragon Ball.
Skar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:45 amThe only way I could see them using 3D animation for the first time is if Toriyama approved it or chose it himself. The franchise still makes good money so no reason to rush anything experimental if they only care to make as much money as possible and take the safest approach.
Super Hero will most likely be a hybrid of 2D and 3D animation, the trailer has given us an idea of how it will look, but I imagine it will be less of the latter and more of the former. Unlike the last three movies though, it seems it will have CG in more scenes than just the fighting, like action scenes more generally (such as the car driving). I don't think they will overdo it though, DBS Broly has shown how well these movies can do with a little bit of experimentation, but not too much. Bringing in the Red Ribbon Army will still be somewhat of a risk because they are not the most popular antagonists but it remains to be seen how big a role they will have to play, as it may only be in a supporting capacity for all we know.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:25 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 amIt wouldn't surprise me if the executives at Toei thought that DBS anime performed brilliantly in launching the brand Super worldwide and can now be laid to rest :think:
At some point even Super merch sales will be on the decline. Bandai pitched a new series to TOEI in 2009 because a show on TV was needed to sell more toys because it had been so long since GT ended. Of course we know that led to Kai's creation, but TOEI learned from that the good profits were in new content and old content wasn't sustainable long term. I am confident it will be a similar situation here whereby only a new series, not just a movie will satisfy the desire among the fanbase for more Dragon Ball.
Skar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:45 amThe only way I could see them using 3D animation for the first time is if Toriyama approved it or chose it himself. The franchise still makes good money so no reason to rush anything experimental if they only care to make as much money as possible and take the safest approach.
Super Hero will most likely be a hybrid of 2D and 3D animation, the trailer has given us an idea of how it will look, but I imagine it will be less of the latter and more of the former. Unlike the last three movies though, it seems it will have CG in more scenes than just the fighting, like action scenes more generally (such as the car driving). I don't think they will overdo it though, DBS Broly has shown how well these movies can do with a little bit of experimentation, but not too much. Bringing in the Red Ribbon Army will still be somewhat of a risk because they are not the most popular antagonists but it remains to be seen how big a role they will have to play, as it may only be in a supporting capacity for all we know.
But of course at some point Super merch will be on decline, but something tells me it won't be until a very long time.

Thanks to the anime, Super has become very big worldwide! If I'm not mistaken some ToP episodes literally caused streaming sites to go down (because so many people were connecting to watch them), and obviously we have all seen those videos of thousands of people watching the final eps live in huge city centres.

I think that at least for the next decade the Super characters and forms will remain very popular and profitable thanks to the good work the anime did in promoting all of that; but it could also be that they'll bring the anime back depending on the outcome of the new movie and how its profits impact the overall view that Toei has for Super. For instance, if the new movie was a flop in profits (because of the CGI and the low stakes, almost filler-ish plot), then Toei might take more drastic measures and order a new season of Super :think: