I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 am

It's honestly been a bit of a relief that the anime hasn't returned. The quality level was just so low (with a few notable exceptions) that it sapped a lot of the fun out of DBS for me.

coola
I Live Here

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by coola » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:21 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 am It's honestly been a bit of a relief that the anime hasn't returned. The quality level was just so low (with a few notable exceptions) that it sapped a lot of the fun out of DBS for me.
Same, i think they should focus on doing movies, then again, their other series like Gegege no Kitaro or Precure look decent, it's only their popular series like Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya, where they put low effort, since they know it will sell :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm

So I think I made this question back in the day but never got answered.
The 2019 return turned out to be a flop, we all know, but leakers or even Ajay said there was SOMETHING in production, like something was being drawn at least even if the dates for a launch were fake. My question is, weren't there ever leaked shots of these alleged production rumors or even a small pilot episode? or basically everything that was rumored back in the day was 100% fake and there was absolutely nothing being in the works?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 am

cuartas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm So I think I made this question back in the day but never got answered.
The 2019 return turned out to be a flop, we all know, but leakers or even Ajay said there was SOMETHING in production, like something was being drawn at least even if the dates for a launch were fake. My question is, weren't there ever leaked shots of these alleged production rumors or even a small pilot episode? or basically everything that was rumored back in the day was 100% fake and there was absolutely nothing being in the works?
It was not fake, it just got delayed because plan changes. They had Shintani's CD for almost every characters (including Gotenks and Gohan) and started KA phase.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:32 pm

Psykomatik wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 am
cuartas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm So I think I made this question back in the day but never got answered.
It was not fake, it just got delayed because plan changes. They had Shintani's CD for almost every characters (including Gotenks and Gohan) and started KA phase.
And none of these ever got leaked or something?

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:15 pm

It would've been cool if we tackled the Moro and Granolah arcs as dedicated movies.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm

MajinPopo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:15 pm It would've been cool if we tackled the Moro and Granolah arcs as dedicated movies.
Both arcs work better as part of a series. I'm hoping whenever Super returns both are adapted, and maybe a brief retelling of Broly and Super Hero before telling new stories.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm and maybe a brief retelling of Broly and Super Hero before telling new stories.
NO. We do NOT NEED more movie retellings!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm and maybe a brief retelling of Broly and Super Hero before telling new stories.
Retellings would be cool! They could include the deleted scenes from Broli and then also give us a hand drawn version of Super Hero with other episode directors' takes on the story. They would also buy time for the rest of the production!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Retellings would be cool! They could include the deleted scenes from Broli and then also give us a hand drawn version of Super Hero with other episode directors' takes on the story. They would also buy time for the rest of the production!
Indeed. Maybe Gohan isn't a coward this time and goes to fight Broly in the hour Goku and Vegeta trained to make Gogeta.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 am

Maybe they're making a full cgi DBS serie hence why it took so long ?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 am

When I think of DBS for some reason I am reminded of Boruto, because both are sequels (one is a midquel actually) to their original series and both series have as main and most popular product by far the Anime; and it's common knowledge that the Boruto anime is way more popular and "complete" than the manga, because it develops plotlines more, it gives more scenes to side characters, it develops relationships more, etc. etc. etc. And this was also the case with the DBS anime and the first 3 original arcs compared to the manga, to the point that one version was seen as the "complete" way to experience the story (just think of the ToP arc...). So if DBS anime were to come back, it wouldn't surprise me if they greatly expanded the Moro and Granolah arcs, by adding more scenes and extending scenes, for example to humanize Merus more and make his sacrifice sadder; or by tweaking some scenes, for example having Moro trick Goku into thinking he was turning himself over and then stealing the senzu bean, instead of having Goku give him the Senzu bean himself.

And naturally I wouldn't be surprised if the Moro arc was also massively changed, because if I'm not mistaken Toyotaro said in an interview that it was the best "HE" could come up with, not Toriyama, so maybe the Moro arc would follow the general formula of the other arcs that they adapt bullet points from Toriyama but sometimes in very different ways. Although I'm sure they would adapt the Granolah arc very close to how it is in the manga because the direct involvement from Toriyama is factually stated.

Though honestly it also wouldn't surprise me if the anime simply never came back, it certainly did its purposes of making Super popular and famous worldwide and we see how the videogames have all started massively adapting Super content. Xenoverse 2, Fighterz have all released mostly Super characters for years, Kakarot has already adapated BoG and RoF (last I checked?), Super Dragon Ball Heroes exists and is super popular, etc. etc. etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the executives at Toei thought that DBS anime performed brilliantly in launching the brand Super worldwide and can now be laid to rest :think:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 am When I think of DBS for some reason I am reminded of Boruto, because both are sequels (one is a midquel actually) to their original series and both series have as main and most popular product by far the Anime; and it's common knowledge that the Boruto anime is way more popular and "complete" than the manga, because it develops plotlines more, it gives more scenes to side characters, it develops relationships more, etc. etc. etc. And this was also the case with the DBS anime and the first 3 original arcs compared to the manga, to the point that one version was seen as the "complete" way to experience the story (just think of the ToP arc...). So if DBS anime were to come back, it wouldn't surprise me if they greatly expanded the Moro and Granolah arcs, by adding more scenes and extending scenes, for example to humanize Merus more and make his sacrifice sadder; or by tweaking some scenes, for example having Moro trick Goku into thinking he was turning himself over and then stealing the senzu bean, instead of having Goku give him the Senzu bean himself.

And naturally I wouldn't be surprised if the Moro arc was also massively changed, because if I'm not mistaken Toyotaro said in an interview that it was the best "HE" could come up with, not Toriyama, so maybe the Moro arc would follow the general formula of the other arcs that they adapt bullet points from Toriyama but sometimes in very different ways. Although I'm sure they would adapt the Granolah arc very close to how it is in the manga because the direct involvement from Toriyama is factually stated.

Though honestly it also wouldn't surprise me if the anime simply never came back, it certainly did its purposes of making Super popular and famous worldwide and we see how the videogames have all started massively adapting Super content. Xenoverse 2, Fighterz have all released mostly Super characters for years, Kakarot has already adapated BoG and RoF (last I checked?), Super Dragon Ball Heroes exists and is super popular, etc. etc. etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the executives at Toei thought that DBS anime performed brilliantly in launching the brand Super worldwide and can now be laid to rest :think:
This all goes back to the franchise being directionless it’s been that way since Super started but it’s become even more noticeable after Broly they have no clue what they want to do.Which is sad cause the anime had a lot of momentum coming off that last movie which is now essentially gone.
Also not helping matters is that Toei treats its classic franchises Dragonball,Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya like shit in favor for newer ones that don’t sell as well. Idk if we will ever find out if the rumors a couple years back that Super was coming back was true or not. But I really wish another studio could buy out the IP rights for Dragonball.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:13 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 am When I think of DBS for some reason I am reminded of Boruto, because both are sequels (one is a midquel actually) to their original series and both series have as main and most popular product by far the Anime; and it's common knowledge that the Boruto anime is way more popular and "complete" than the manga, because it develops plotlines more, it gives more scenes to side characters, it develops relationships more, etc. etc. etc. And this was also the case with the DBS anime and the first 3 original arcs compared to the manga, to the point that one version was seen as the "complete" way to experience the story (just think of the ToP arc...). So if DBS anime were to come back, it wouldn't surprise me if they greatly expanded the Moro and Granolah arcs, by adding more scenes and extending scenes, for example to humanize Merus more and make his sacrifice sadder; or by tweaking some scenes, for example having Moro trick Goku into thinking he was turning himself over and then stealing the senzu bean, instead of having Goku give him the Senzu bean himself.

This all goes back to the franchise being directionless it’s been that way since Super started but it’s become even more noticeable after Broly they have no clue what they want to do.Which is sad cause the anime had a lot of momentum coming off that last movie which is now essentially gone.
Also not helping matters is that Toei treats its classic franchises Dragonball,Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya like shit in favor for newer ones that don’t sell as well. Idk if we will ever find out if the rumors a couple years back that Super was coming back was true or not. But I really wish another studio could buy out the IP rights for Dragonball.
Well I remember that there was a very big rumour back in 2019 about Super coming back, but then of course Covid happened... :think:

It could be that they genuinely wanted to bring Super back in 2019 and were making plans about it, but then Covid ruined their plans and forced to push them ahead indefinitely.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:34 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:13 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am

Well I remember that there was a very big rumour back in 2019 about Super coming back, but then of course Covid happened... :think:

It could be that they genuinely wanted to bring Super back in 2019 and were making plans about it, but then Covid ruined their plans and forced to push them ahead indefinitely.
But look at the other anime series Covid did not affect them as much if at all Digimon got 2 new series back to back

Not to mention the 3 year Radio Silence and coming back with a cgi movie a lot of very weird moves being made with Toei #1 franchise for the past 4 years. Too many if you ask me something is off….

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:49 am

Toei has other commitments and that leads to not having the staff to do another Dragon Ball series or film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm

It is not the silence about the anime that is weird it is their choice for a new movie AFTER 4 YEARS OF NO NEW CONTENT frankly.

I'm not sure anyone wanted a CGI movie about the Red Ribbon androids, at least that's not at the top of most popular ideas for a new movie and it certainly wasn't what people were expecting, I hope Toei/Toriyama know what they're doing here :eh:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm It is not the silence about the anime that is weird it is their choice for a new movie AFTER 4 YEARS OF NO NEW CONTENT frankly.

I'm not sure anyone wanted a CGI movie about the Red Ribbon androids, at least that's not at the top of most popular ideas for a new movie and it certainly wasn't what people were expecting, I hope Toei/Toriyama know what they're doing here :eh:
It s a movie, it exists for the general populace. They don't have the refined tastes of an Otaku all the time.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:18 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm It is not the silence about the anime that is weird it is their choice for a new movie AFTER 4 YEARS OF NO NEW CONTENT frankly.

They don’t if they did they would have had Arcsys on the phone helping out tremendously with this movie. They also wouldn’t have changed the staff from Broly with cheap novice animators and fired Shintani if they knew what they were doing.

I guarantee when the new Slam Dunk movie comes out it will NOT be CGI. Then the excuse of Toei having no staff for a 2-d staff will be debunked completely.

Toei is complacent & halfass with DB because

1) the profits from Dokkan & games stay high and they get a big cut of that which can carry the franchise.

2) Fans will still buy no matter what junk they put out.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 pm

It s a movie, it exists for the general populace. They don't have the refined tastes of an Otaku all the time.
Even the general populace/ casuals is questioning it read the comments on the Superhero trailer some I saw was wondering did something happen at Toei ? & if layoffs happened due to Covid :D