I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 amThe fact that other series like Digimon and One Piece are being treated well so maybe the unknown Dragon Ball animated product will also be treated well in the future doesn’t make me feel better.
When DB returns it will definitely be treated well, as Toei have taken many steps in the last few years to prevent another Super 1.0 mess from happening again. In terms of why it's taking so long to bring back, besides Covid, DB has been doing extremely well, so there's no financial need for it to return just yet.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 amThe fact that other series like Digimon and One Piece are being treated well so maybe the unknown Dragon Ball animated product will also be treated well in the future doesn’t make me feel better.
When DB returns it will definitely be treated well, as Toei have taken many steps in the last few years to prevent another Super 1.0 mess from happening again. In terms of why it's taking so long to bring back, besides Covid, DB has been doing extremely well, so there's no financial need for it to return just yet.
I am not saying it won’t but that’s not the issue. And I think blaming poor decisions solely on COVID is unfair too. Other franchises have not been held back because of COVID

And as for money yes Dragon Ball is a juggernaut but merchandise sales and game sales have gone down. It’s hard to get excited when the same characters are released over and over.

I just look at other franchises chugging along (not all Toei)

One Piece gets a movie and well animated arc in Wano
Boruto which is another sequel franchise anime keeps going
My Hero Academia gets ongoing TV series plus films

Dragon Ball here is the lame Heroes anime every once in awhile. What a waste!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:30 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 am One Piece gets a movie and well animated arc in Wano

Very well said. Anime series and movies are not mutually exclusive. MHA is getting a new movie while the Season 5 is about to begin. Super could perfectly adapt the new arcs while developing a new movie at the same time, Toei has more than enough money for that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 am One Piece gets a movie and well animated arc in Wano

Attack on titan, Dragon Quest, and Digimon are also all going strong. Although Black clover is ending this month, there's a good chance a second season will be announced after the final episode airs. When I look at how well other anime franchises are doing, I definitely understand why a lot of DB fans are frustrated with the current state (Heroes) of the franchise. The reason I'm not as annoyed with the lack of content as others is because of how many times this revival has dropped the ball, so I'm pretty satisfied with the original anime's run and the BOG movie.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:30 amToei has more than enough money for that.
The issue isn't the money, but rather the staff. Studio Bones only has 2 animated shows in production, both of which will end around the time MHA starts. Toei on the other hand has 7 shows in production, which is why Super was such a mess, something we don't want to happen again.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:56 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 am

Attack on titan, Dragon Quest, and Digimon are also all going strong. Although Black clover is ending this month, there's a good chance a second season will be announced after the final episode airs. When I look at how well other anime franchises are doing, I definitely understand why a lot of DB fans are frustrated with the current state (Heroes) of the franchise. The reason I'm not as annoyed with the lack of content as others is because of how many times this revival has dropped the ball, so I'm pretty satisfied with the original anime's run and the BOG movie.
Yeah it is frustrating when you see how other franchises are treated in comparison.

Honestly my main reason for being concerned is I want to have as much animated material with the original Japanese cast as possible (sadly we have already lost some) and delaying things just makes me more anxious

Also even little things like wanting new stuff in terms of merchandise and stuff being added to mobile Games like Dokkan that can’t be because they don’t seem to want to market or do anything with the manga.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:56 amYeah it is frustrating when you see how other franchises are treated in comparison.
That's the price we pay for the franchise's massive worldwide success, as unlike other anime I mentioned, DB can easily sustain its financial success without an ongoing anime/movies. Don't get me wrong, those other franchises are successful as well, but they have to remain in the public eye in order to remain so, unlike DB.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm

The issue isn't the money, but rather the staff. Studio Bones only has 2 animated shows in production, both of which will end around the time MHA starts. Toei on the other hand has 7 shows in production, which is why Super was such a mess, something we don't want to happen again.
Super was a mess.

Until episode 47.

If you ask me, I'd love to get that "mess" again.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pmSuper was a mess Until episode 47. If you ask me, I'd love to get that "mess" again.
A good number of Super's fans don't have the highest of standards, so I'm sure you would, but the reason we won't is because of the actual problems it caused behind the scenes for the staff. Even after things "improved", the staff still suffered from tough deadlines and dividing animators and whatnot between episodes.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pmSuper was a mess Until episode 47. If you ask me, I'd love to get that "mess" again.
A good number of Super's fans don't have the highest of standards, so I'm sure you would, but the reason we won't is because of the actual problems it caused behind the scenes for the staff. Even after things "improved", the staff still suffered from tough deadlines and dividing animators and whatnot between episodes.
Yes, Yes, here comes the usual "no standards" rant about DBS fans.

Well I'll be frank, I enjoyed the latter half of Super, so if Toei kept that same quality for the Super continuation I'd be more than happy.

The reason "YOU won't". Not "we won't". You won't. The beauty of individual opinions.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:11 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 pmThe reason "YOU won't". Not "we won't". You won't. The beauty of individual opinions.
Opinion ? Super's staff struggling during its production isn't an opinion, it's a well documented fact. That's why they've made so many changes since then, to avoid having their staff go through that again.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:37 pm

Regarding other Toei projects reaping the benefits of learning from the mistakes made in Super's production while the animated portion of the DB franchise has been relegated to low-effort monthly 7 minute DBH; I think it all depends on personal investment/motivations.

The simile that comes to my mind is sports; if you just enjoy watching sporting events for the joy of the game (those who are here more for Toei animation in general) than you're likely ok with the way things are now, but if you mostly follow a sport to watch your team, and they're not playing, you're not going to care if some other team you don't follow is playing well, at least that's where I am with this. Like, it's cool and all that Toei's other productions look amazing now, but they're not series I watch so it's no consequence to me. I love animation, but good animation isn't going to get me to watch a show whose characters or story I'm not interested in.

Most anime I watch currently comes from other studios who aren't Toei. The only Toei production I still watch weekly is Precure and even that hasn't been doing so well in the fluid battle animation department lately compared to several years ago.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:37 pm
You should watch one piece, it's only 965 episodes so you can easily catch up. :lol:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:11 pm

I do think the series will come back and adapt the manga. The lack of manga-exclusive material in Heroes, as well as the heavy involvement of Toriyama in the manga stories, leads me to believe this will be so.

All I can say is I hope Shintani is the character designer, and I hope Megumi Ishitani has a much more prominent role.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 am

They could even introduce Moro and Granolah in Heroes if they'd really want.
From business perspective, not a waste: it's an efficient and budget friendly solution.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:56 pm

I dont think its been cancelled, just put on indefinite hiatus. The first part of Super had a lot of really bad animation and was rushed into production so I can see Toei wanting to take a more traditional approach with the continuation. Personally I think they are letting Toyotaro give them a decent enough buffer of new material to not have to create the show the way they did during the first 130 episodes (how they would get story treatments from Toriyama before the manga came out which led to some differences between the anime and manga version). They probably want two or three solid story arcs to work with before resuming production. If you include a Broly retelling then they might start up when the Granollah arc is done. That's just what I think makes the most sense for having a well done Super anime.

Plus, Super can't realistically go on forever. After another arc or two it would need to connect with EoZ or go past it. So if Granollah concludes the story for Super or sets up a final arc, they could go into production and only need minimal filler to get episodes to the proper runtime, likely no full episodes of filler or filler arcs waiting for manga content like other shows.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am

precita wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 am People have forgotten this, but back in March 2018 when the last ep of Super aired, they said there would only be a "brief intermission" before it came back again with new episodes. Well we're now 3 years later in March 2021, and it's safe to say that never happened. With Toei also booked with animating new anime for the rest of the year and seemingly into next, as well as the lack of timeslots, it's safe to say Super won't be returning anytime soon.

I think Toei realizes over these last 3 years they can make just as much money on the Dragon Ball license even without a series airing regularly. While of course we'll get new movies at some point (although I'm surprised the next movie still has no plot details revealed given how long its been since Broly), I feel like the Super anime isn't coming back at this point. I don't know whether this means the Moro arc and the current manga arc will ever receive anime adaptions, but who knows.

I honestly feel like it's not coming back.
Thank god. Super fucking sucked. Disgusting how they have treated the franchise, Yamamuro, Goku Black’s weird new form explained as just “his SS”. If they continue it should be with the continuation of Toyotaro’s story. It’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:24 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 amIt’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.
Everything in both the anime and manga is either written or approved by Toriyama.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am
precita wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 am People have forgotten this, but back in March 2018 when the last ep of Super aired, they said there would only be a "brief intermission" before it came back again with new episodes. Well we're now 3 years later in March 2021, and it's safe to say that never happened. With Toei also booked with animating new anime for the rest of the year and seemingly into next, as well as the lack of timeslots, it's safe to say Super won't be returning anytime soon.

I think Toei realizes over these last 3 years they can make just as much money on the Dragon Ball license even without a series airing regularly. While of course we'll get new movies at some point (although I'm surprised the next movie still has no plot details revealed given how long its been since Broly), I feel like the Super anime isn't coming back at this point. I don't know whether this means the Moro arc and the current manga arc will ever receive anime adaptions, but who knows.

I honestly feel like it's not coming back.
Thank god. Super fucking sucked. Disgusting how they have treated the franchise, Yamamuro, Goku Black’s weird new form explained as just “his SS”. If they continue it should be with the continuation of Toyotaro’s story. It’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.
I don't know about the Goku Black arc, but the TOP would be hot garbage in the anime if it was adapted from the manga the way it was. Literally the only thing I like better about it is Freeza fighting the Saiyan girls for a bit that didn't happen in the anime.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 am

precita wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 amThe TOP would be hot garbage in the anime if it was adapted from the manga the way it was.
The anime's version was too long while the manga's version was too short. Despite that though, I prefer the anime's version as it at least tried to give as many characters as possible a stand out moment.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 am
precita wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 amThe TOP would be hot garbage in the anime if it was adapted from the manga the way it was.
The anime's version was too long while the manga's version was too short. Despite that though, I prefer the anime's version as it at least tried to give as many characters as possible a stand out moment.
I thought there were good moments in both versions and both had a horrible ending so it amounted to the same thing

That being said I don’t really want to see animated versions of the manga TOP and Trunks arc. I want new material that has not been animated yet.