I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm

It would have made sense to bring the anime back during spring 2019:

- They had just polished the art and animation, and it was warmly welcomed amongst fans.
- Broly was a pretty big hit worldwide, and would have been a great promoter for a new series.
- The audience for which Super 1 was mainly made in Japan, were still kids and intrested in the series.
- There had been time enough to fix production issues, which had led to Supers inconsistent quality.
- Nozawa could still have reprised the role for a long-term engagement.
- A lot of major key animators and directors were still available, only to depart for other projects soon after.
- There were too many sources indicating they were at least considering Supers return, there was probably more going on that only a cheap Youtubers-claim to get attention.

The project has clearly been put in the refrigerator.
And they more than probably had a good reason for that.
DB was making enough money without having a need for a full time anime, as Heroes and the manga do the same job at a much lower cost.
Moreover they very well wanted to avoid over-saturation too quickly in order to spread the revival as long as possible.

It will probably get a new breath of fresh air at some point.
It may take a while though, because a lot of the key staff is still buzzy for a numbers of years to come.

But ... there are no guarantuees. The franchise might end up only making movies or introducting the new characters in the Heroes anime.
I know a lot of people wouldn't like that to happen, but this franchise is very unpredictable, it can head in very different direction from here.
I guess it's safe to presume a new movie will come eventually, but even concerning that project: nothing but silence.

There still is a minor chance they have bought new staff and are working on a project behind the scenes, in order to bring in a new anime and/or movie earlier than 2023. And ... there is still a chance there will be no animated material for the main continuity for a very very long time.

Basically everything is possible, but i wouldn't bet my money on the animes return in 2023 because there is, yet again staff available, and the rerun will be finished. It remains a possibility that is however mainly based on wishfull thinking.
The central question where it's all about here: does the franchise NEED the anime to come back (considering they already have Heroes, and it appears to do its job very well)? If there is a need, they'll find some way to prioritize it, and bring it back (earlier than) in 2023. If they there is no need at all, it may very well take (a lot) longer.

Aim
Banned

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:24 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 amIt’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.
Everything in both the anime and manga is either written or approved by Toriyama.
Quite different from actually drawing the story as well. Toriyama doesn’t give much detail either usually. Approved doesn’t mean much considering anime exclusive forms never showed up in Broly.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm

precita wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am
precita wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 am People have forgotten this, but back in March 2018 when the last ep of Super aired, they said there would only be a "brief intermission" before it came back again with new episodes. Well we're now 3 years later in March 2021, and it's safe to say that never happened. With Toei also booked with animating new anime for the rest of the year and seemingly into next, as well as the lack of timeslots, it's safe to say Super won't be returning anytime soon.

I think Toei realizes over these last 3 years they can make just as much money on the Dragon Ball license even without a series airing regularly. While of course we'll get new movies at some point (although I'm surprised the next movie still has no plot details revealed given how long its been since Broly), I feel like the Super anime isn't coming back at this point. I don't know whether this means the Moro arc and the current manga arc will ever receive anime adaptions, but who knows.

I honestly feel like it's not coming back.
Thank god. Super fucking sucked. Disgusting how they have treated the franchise, Yamamuro, Goku Black’s weird new form explained as just “his SS”. If they continue it should be with the continuation of Toyotaro’s story. It’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.
I don't know about the Goku Black arc, but the TOP would be hot garbage in the anime if it was adapted from the manga the way it was. Literally the only thing I like better about it is Freeza fighting the Saiyan girls for a bit that didn't happen in the anime.
Don’t get me wrong, the manga is shit, though it’s starting to pick up, but I think it’s better to have consistency.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:15 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm It would have made sense to bring the anime back during spring 2019:

- They had just polished the art and animation, and it was warmly welcomed amongst fans.
- Broly was a pretty big hit worldwide, and would have been a great promoter for a new series.
- The audience for which Super 1 was mainly made in Japan, were still kids and intrested in the series.
- There had been time enough to fix production issues, which had led to Supers inconsistent quality.
- Nozawa could still have reprised the role for a long-term engagement.
- A lot of major key animators and directors were still available, only to depart for other projects soon after.
- There were too many sources indicating they were at least considering Supers return, there was probably more going on that only a cheap Youtubers-claim to get attention.

The project has clearly been put in the refrigerator.
And they more than probably had a good reason for that.
DB was making enough money without having a need for a full time anime, as Heroes and the manga do the same job at a much lower cost.
Moreover they very well wanted to avoid over-saturation too quickly in order to spread the revival as long as possible.

It will probably get a new breath of fresh air at some point.
It may take a while though, because a lot of the key staff is still buzzy for a numbers of years to come.

But ... there are no guarantuees. The franchise might end up only making movies or introducting the new characters in the Heroes anime.
I know a lot of people wouldn't like that to happen, but this franchise is very unpredictable, it can head in very different direction from here.
I guess it's safe to presume a new movie will come eventually, but even concerning that project: nothing but silence.

There still is a minor chance they have bought new staff and are working on a project behind the scenes, in order to bring in a new anime and/or movie earlier than 2023. And ... there is still a chance there will be no animated material for the main continuity for a very very long time.

Basically everything is possible, but i wouldn't bet my money on the animes return in 2023 because there is, yet again staff available, and the rerun will be finished. It remains a possibility that is however mainly based on wishfull thinking.
The central question where it's all about here: does the franchise NEED the anime to come back (considering they already have Heroes, and it appears to do its job very well)? If there is a need, they'll find some way to prioritize it, and bring it back (earlier than) in 2023. If they there is no need at all, it may very well take (a lot) longer.
I initially thought that Dragon Ball was going to be revived as a movie series. Get one good movie every couple of years, and add new story elements until we reach the peaceful world/Oob point of the story. Because Dragon Ball was not meant to go on forever. The staff and Toriyama are working with a limited time frame. 10 years in universe time. (Although at this point I don't even know how far into the timeline we are.) So eventually they're going to have to shut things down, but I am surprised that the anime just went dry. Although maybe it's for the best to let the manga give them more story to adapt, then they can bring the show back as a seasonal anime instead of a weekly affair.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm
precita wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am
Thank god. Super fucking sucked. Disgusting how they have treated the franchise, Yamamuro, Goku Black’s weird new form explained as just “his SS”. If they continue it should be with the continuation of Toyotaro’s story. It’s sad we just won’t ever get a Toriyama version of Super, but Toyotaro is the next best thing.
I don't know about the Goku Black arc, but the TOP would be hot garbage in the anime if it was adapted from the manga the way it was. Literally the only thing I like better about it is Freeza fighting the Saiyan girls for a bit that didn't happen in the anime.
Don’t get me wrong, the manga is shit, though it’s starting to pick up, but I think it’s better to have consistency.
I haven't read the whole manga, but from what I did read, I liked the manga more than the anime. Less filler material/better pacing most of the time. (I got other things to do so that's a bug plus for me.) More consistent tone, more consistent Goku (especially during the Goku Black arc), more consistent art. It's not the greatest art, but still. It just felt like a better put together product to me. Not to say that the anime didn't do specific character moments better, and it had the fun baseball episode with Yamacha. But, overall the poor inconsistent production quality and inconsistent character writing among staff killed it for me.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am

Even though I'm pretty firmly in one camp myself, the fact that the debate between the Super TV series and anime is so contentious among fans (as seen above), probably means they both do something right.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:23 am

How does Heroes do a good job promoting the series? Merchandise from Heroes actually sells extremely badly. I assume the actual cards do sell well though

Also Heroes units are barely ever added to games. Once a year Dokkan adds a Heroes banner and I admit it is exciting because it’s something unique to the game but it’s does not break any records in terms of sales

You can definitely see a slow down in Merchandise and so forth released for Dragon Ball. Obviously it’s not entirely dead but it’s not as big as it was when there was an ongoing series or new movie to promote. The Heroes anime though is definitely not doing much for the series in terms of merchandise promotion.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am Even though I'm pretty firmly in one camp myself, the fact that the debate between the Super TV series and anime is so contentious among fans (as seen above), probably means they both do something right.
For me, the weekly TV series had higher highs and lower lows while the manga kind of remained in this middle serviceable ground where it's not bad and not embarrassing, but it's not exciting or fun (to me) either.

It was also the community; I had more fun when everyone was following along week by week while now it's a lot more sparse.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Chuquita wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Cipher wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am Even though I'm pretty firmly in one camp myself, the fact that the debate between the Super TV series and anime is so contentious among fans (as seen above), probably means they both do something right.
For me, the weekly TV series had higher highs and lower lows while the manga kinda of remained in this middle serviceable ground where it's not bad and not embarrassing, but it's not exciting or fun (to me) either.

It was also the community; I had more fun when everyone was following along week by week while now it's a lot more sparse.
I personally find them both equally flawed but enjoy both for what they are. However there is something to be said about an ongoing weekly series over a monthly manga

Also I do miss the promotional stuff that came with the anime and is nowhere to be found with the manga.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:15 amI initially thought that Dragon Ball was going to be revived as a movie series. Get one good movie every couple of years, and add new story elements until we reach the peaceful world/Oob point of the story. Because Dragon Ball was not meant to go on forever. The staff and Toriyama are working with a limited time frame. 10 years in universe time. (Although at this point I don't even know how far into the timeline we are.)
We're currently either at the end of Age 780 or beginning of 781 so a little over three years until EoZ. I'm not sure what year DBS will end but I assume they'll leave a few years for some type of timeskip to age everyone. We'll have to wait and see what comes after the Granola arc ends.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pmWe're currently either at the end of Age 780 or beginning of 781 so a little over three years until EoZ.
I hope they remember to grow up Goten, Trunks, & Marron.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:23 am How does Heroes do a good job promoting the series? Merchandise from Heroes actually sells extremely badly. I assume the actual cards do sell well though

Also Heroes units are barely ever added to games. Once a year Dokkan adds a Heroes banner and I admit it is exciting because it’s something unique to the game but it’s does not break any records in terms of sales

You can definitely see a slow down in Merchandise and so forth released for Dragon Ball. Obviously it’s not entirely dead but it’s not as big as it was when there was an ongoing series or new movie to promote. The Heroes anime though is definitely not doing much for the series in terms of merchandise promotion.

My point of introducing Moro or Merus in Heroes was a slight exaggeration.
I don't say it's probably going to happen or it's something a lot of fans would like to see.
Although it's not entirely impossible either, the exaggeration mainly was added to make the following point clear.

Who would have thought 2-3 years ago Heroes would maintain its status of being the one-and-only animated product for so long?
It appearently has more than its merits in terms of promotional value.
The Heroes anime is no longer a promotor of a Japanese video game alone that's directed to a Japanese audience alone.
It currently furfills the role of a less expensive subsitute for a full time anime as worldwide general promotor for the franchise, as everyone internationally can watch it.

A fulltime weekly anime would of course royally exceed the promotional value that Heroes means for the franchise.
It however costs a descent amount more to produce as well and demands way more staff, which may be difficult to combine with other important major projects that are at stake now as well as the following years.
In the meanwhile Heroes produces pretty good results in terms of keeping the general sales numbers high, and they are pretty good in absence of a weekly tv-anime, while we are waiting for the same anime that might air on tv in .....
I am not referring to sales of Heroes-related stuff only here, i am taking about keeping the Dragon Ball-name under monthly worldwide attention. It adds brand value and therefore general sales value indirecty by doing so.

We percieve and give sense to things our way, while the franchise gives sense to things their way.
It's all a matter of perception. You were saying Heroes is a waste, for the franchise it just means the opposite for the time being.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm
Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:23 am How does Heroes do a good job promoting the series? Merchandise from Heroes actually sells extremely badly. I assume the actual cards do sell well though

I don't say it's probably going to happen or it's something a lot of fans would like to see.
Although it's not entirely impossible either, the exaggeration mainly was added to make the following point clear.

Who would have thought 2-3 years ago Heroes would maintain its status of being the one-and-only animated product for so long?
The Heroes anime is no longer a promotor of a Japanese video game alone that's directed to a Japanese audience alone.
It currently furfills the role of a less expensive subsitute for a full time anime as worldwide general promotor for the franchise, as everyone internationally can watch it.

A fulltime weekly anime would of course royally exceed the promotional value that Heroes means for the franchise.
It however costs a descent amount more to produce as well and demands way more staff, which may be difficult to combine with other important major projects that are at stake now as well as the following years.
In the meanwhile Heroes produces pretty good results in terms of keeping the general sales numbers high, and they are pretty good in absence of a weekly tv-anime, while we are waiting for the same anime that might air on tv in .....
I am not referring to sales of Heroes-related stuff only here, i am taking about keeping the Dragon Ball-name under monthly worldwide attention. It adds brand value and therefore general sales value indirecty by doing so.

We percieve and give sense to things our way, while the franchise gives sense to things their way.
It's all a matter of perception. You were saying Heroes is a waste, for the franchise it just means the opposite for the time being.
But what you are not getting and the point I am making is very little is being promoted from the Heroes Anime. They are not making money specifically from the Heroes anime. I mean I am sure it makes them some from the Heroes cards and game but the big things like merchandise and revenue from other video and mobile Games does not come from the Heroes anime.

When they tried to sell Figures from Heroes anime sales for them were extremely low.

It’s an infrequent direct to Online short anime. Barely anything in terms of promoting the series comes out of it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pmThe Heroes anime is no longer a promotor of a Japanese video game alone that's directed to a Japanese audience alone.
We can?

*checking the episodes on the official Youtube channel*

No, we can't. They are still region locked, no official sub, no nothing. So I think the anime is still a way to promote the game for Japanese-only players to experience the events of the arcade in another way. When you watch a Heroes episode anime, you're still doing it illegally.

It is also far from "fulfilling" that role you say, by the way. I'm curious, where do you base all these claims?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 pm

But what you are not getting and the point I am making is very little is being promoted from the Heroes Anime. They are not making money specifically from the Heroes anime. I mean I am sure it makes them some from the Heroes cards and game but the big things like merchandise and revenue from other video and mobile Games does not come from the Heroes anime.

When they tried to sell Figures from Heroes anime sales for them were extremely low.

It’s an infrequent direct to Online short anime. Barely anything in terms of promoting the series comes out of it.

I understand your point but it's just not exactly what i meant.
I was referring to the fact why the Heroes anime is still alive after 2-3 year.
This series is, from what i presume, not only there to promote Heroes-relative merchandise or the game only.
That would even not make sense if Heroes-unique material, does not sell very well (i don't know those exact numbers though), if that is what you are suggesting yourself.

It serves as a promoter for the whole franchise in my opinion, a replacement for the tv-series, together with other media.
That's the reason why Heroes has a lot of existing elements in it, from different continuities (Super, GT ...) that otherwise would not easily mix up. Existing and popular concepts, that definitely do sell well. That assumption only makes sense, because mainly the reference to those popular concepts keep the brand alive and under global attention when there is no new full time anime to offer.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pm

This series is, from what i presume, not only there to promote Heroes-relative merchandise or the game only.
That would even not make sense if Heroes-unique material, does not sell very well (i don't know those exact numbers though), if that is what you are suggesting yourself.

It serves as a promoter for the whole franchise in my opinion, a replacement for the tv-series, together with other media.
That's the reason why Heroes has a lot of existing elements in it, from different continuities (Super, GT ...) that otherwise would not easily mix up. Existing and popular concepts, that definitely do sell well. That assumption only makes sense, because mainly the reference to those popular concepts keep the brand alive and under global attention when there is no new full time anime to offer.
How exactly does it promote the whole franchise when barely anything is being promoted from it and as Grimlock points out the episodes are region locked?

There are still figures and things that are made but they mainly come from other parts of the Franchise not Heroes.

Do you really think an anime that is on for a few minutes every few months is meant to the main promotion of the entire franchise?

You might as well argue the manga is the main thing used to promote the franchise even though there is no merchandise coming from that either at least it’s out in a more consistent fashion than the Heroes anime and is out globally.

On another note I am sorry for the long quote. It’s hard for me to edit quotes on my phone.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:36 pm

How exactly does it promote the whole franchise when barely anything is being promoted from it and as Grimlock points out the episodes are region locked?

There are still figures and things that are made but they mainly come from other parts of the Franchise not Heroes.

Do you really think an anime that is on for a few minutes every few months is meant to the main promotion of the entire franchise?

The Heroes anime of course does not perform that job alone in absence of the anime.
It's a collaboration between different media (Heroes, manga, games etc).
How exactly can you prove that, that it has no promotional value for the broader franchise?
This while ever since Heroes took the tv-series animes place, sales numbers haven't been exactly dramatically declining.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:01 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pmThe Heroes anime is no longer a promotor of a Japanese video game alone that's directed to a Japanese audience alone.
We can?

*checking the episodes on the official Youtube channel*

No, we can't. They are still region locked, no official sub, no nothing. So I think the anime is still a way to promote the game for Japanese-only players to experience the events of the arcade in another way. When you watch a Heroes episode anime, you're still doing it illegally.

It is also far from "fulfilling" that role you say, by the way. I'm curious, where do you base all these claims?

All right, officially we can't, we may not.

If you deny it offers promotional value for the broader franchise indirectly, even if a lot of fans speak about it, in Japan and on various international and English boards / social media, you may.
I have my thoughts about it.
I don't feel like discussing this topic further.

I just gave my view on things, that's it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:51 pm
Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:36 pm

The Heroes anime of course does not perform that job alone in absence of the anime.
It's a collaboration between different media (Heroes, manga, games etc).
How exactly can you prove that, that it has no promotional value for the broader franchise?
This while ever since Heroes took the tv-series animes place, sales numbers haven't been exactly dramatically declining.

I am not really saying it has no promotional value at all, I am just saying even if it did not exist I don’t think the franchise would be in a very different state than it is now.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Watching something, especially an action series, is more fun in animation because you get to see the movement and attacks in motion and the voice acting and music usually also elevates a scene. In manga you just get still images, and unlike the original manga which is Toriyama's art and story, the Super manga doesn't have that prestige (even though they all work from the same outlines).

Until the manga started doing new stories with Moro and the current arc, it just felt like a more rushed "cliff notes" version of the anime just loosely following the same plots but changing everything else to condense it. Obviously the manga had no time to cover an 80 person tournament, so almost all of it was off-screen or rushed. I'm also willing to bet if the anime ever comes back and adapts Moro, it'll be an improvement over the manga version.

Sometimes written word isn't key, yo.