I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:51 am

I don't think we'll see changes that dramatic in the anime. The reason the manga and anime were so different in the past is because they were both being made at the same time and they were interpreting Toriyamas story outline independently, but now that the manga has been given time to develop, the anime team will most likely use the manga as their reference and not have to interpret Toriyamas outline on their own.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: I feel like the Super anime (or a continuation of it?) has been quietly canceled

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm

There won't be any considerable changes.
In fact, I bet there'll be several retcons regarding the anime. 17 will be as strong as he was in the manga, not blue level, Sign won't be defense-only, and so on.

This wouldn't be something new, whenever anime filler took some liberty and later on the manga didn't take it into account, the anime dropped whatever they came up with and went with the Manga's take.

It would also cost additional money to create new ways to tell the story, so it isn't even a good idea business-wise.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm There won't be any considerable changes.
In fact, I bet there'll be several retcons regarding the anime.
This is my nightmare right there.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 am
Koitsukai wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm There won't be any considerable changes.
Quoted for truth. If this were to happen, I'd prefer if the anime just remained on hiatus permanently.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am
Quoted for truth. If this were to happen, I'd prefer if the anime just remained on hiatus permanently.
It wouldn't make financial sense to ignore some anime exclusive stuff since they make money out of it but then again they completely ignored Kaioken in the Broly movie so yeah, I'm worried.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am
It wouldn't make financial sense to ignore some anime exclusive stuff since they make money out of it but then again they completely ignored Kaioken in the Broly movie so yeah, I'm worried.
Agreed. The anime is the version of Super that is featured in merchandise and videogames, it wouldn't make sense to retcon it. That's just dumb.

Goku never using Kaioken in the Broly movie can simply be explained as Goku realizing that it would be a waste of time to fight Broly with this transformation. Why use a life-risking technique when the enemy is so far above you? Plus doesn't Goku use Kaioken in the manga too? What is this?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:52 pm

I'm not having any fun with the manga version since the anime ended (it's not bad, it's competent, just boring to me and overly analytical about things I'm not interested in.), so personally I wouldn't be that interested in a straight adaption of the manga for Super 2's anime.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm

At this point I just want an animated product so I can have more varied merchandise and more stuff added to Dokkan Battle

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am

Does Moro have any toys/merch at all? I don't keep up with that stuff, so I have no idea if he's ever marketed.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 amIt wouldn't make financial sense to ignore some anime exclusive stuff since they make money out of it but then again they completely ignored Kaioken in the Broly movie so yeah, I'm worried.
I don't think many fans cared that Kaioken and ASSJ Blue didn't appear in Broly. It could be handwaved that they didn't think it would help against Broly or some fans might've just assumed those forms weren't in Toriyama's version of the story. The manga's Completed Blue didn't appear in Broly either but that didn't hurt the manga's sales and it still continued after the movie. Anime exclusive content would still exist even if it was retconned out of the next DBS anime. GT is over two decades old and not in the same continuity but still has new merchandise and features in video games.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am

precita wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am Does Moro have any toys/merch at all? I don't keep up with that stuff, so I have no idea if he's ever marketed.

Nope nothing at all. Feels like a waste honestly

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am
precita wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am Does Moro have any toys/merch at all? I don't keep up with that stuff, so I have no idea if he's ever marketed.
It's baffling. I don't understand the thought process behind it at all.
It's not like Moro was a small-time character either, he was the main focus for 2 years straight.
Moro has been the main villain for the longest time, breaking Freeza's record of ~21 months. It's a lot compared to the Saiyans, the Androids, Cell and Boo who barely crossed a single year, even with all the transformations of the latter two.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:34 pm

DBZ Macky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:26 pm
It's not like Moro was a small-time character either, he was the main focus for 2 years straight.
Moro has been the main villain for the longest time, breaking Freeza's record of ~21 months. It's a lot compared to the Saiyans, the Androids, Cell and Boo who barely crossed a single year, even with all the transformations of the latter two.
The weird thing is that Moro has less fan content per capita than Granolah.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:52 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:34 pm
That's not weird and it was easily predictable.

Good-looking edgelords with a traumatic backstory tend to be more popular than generic pure evil monsters.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:34 pm
I don’t think Granolah is a particularly great character, but Moro has practically nothing going for him, so that’s not surprising.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:25 am

Is it safe to say that the anime is coming back now?
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:48 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:25 am Is it safe to say that the anime is coming back now?
No. Why on Earth would you say that? There's no indication that they want to do a new TV series, there's no staff available at the moment, and there's no timeslot available at the moment.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:48 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:25 am Is it safe to say that the anime is coming back now?
No. Why on Earth would you say that? There's no indication that they want to do a new TV series, there's no staff available at the moment, and there's no timeslot available at the moment.
I was being sarcastic about the new movie. I know that the anime doesn't have any staff at the moment.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Late 2022 when Dragon Quest Dai reaches it's end is the nearest possible date. If I recall correctly RoF and Super were also released in the same year.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:24 pm Late 2022 when Dragon Quest Dai reaches it's end is the nearest possible date. If I recall correctly RoF and Super were also released in the same year.
I hope they do not rush the animation like last time, otherwise I will throw my chair into the window
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san