Should Zamasu return?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Should Zamasu return?

Post by Kappa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:15 pm

I personally think he should for a few simple reasons.
1) He's cool.
2) He would be the perfect "final boss".

What do you guys think?

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Zamasu return?

Post by Trouser » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 pm

To me, Zamasu is only cool as "Goku Black". Regular and Merged versions are lame, I don't care about them. BUT if it is Black that comes back, then I'm game. But it won't happen in "canon" continuity. Flashbacks, SDBH and games are the only platforms for Black to kill filthy ningens.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm

No. As Dragonball villains go Zamasu had a fresh take, but the arc shat the bed in the last episode. I don't want to revisit Zamasu after that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Should he come back? That will depend on what Toriyama plans for his character. If Toriyama wants him back just to humiliate him, then No, he shouldn't come back. I wouldn't want to watch my favourite character humiliated on screen, a feeling that Vegeta fans can no doubt comprehend.

Will he come back? Most likely, Yes. Zamasu is pretty much one of the most popular and iconic characters introduced in modern Dragon Ball, so it just makes sense to milk him some more, maybe even give him a new power-up/form to sell even more figurines. It's just logical from a business standpoint, and they already brought Frieza back twice because of his popularity.

I agree that Fused Zamasu looks and sounds like an actual final villain, but I don't think he'll come back as the final villain of Super... However he might come back as the secondary villain of the final arc, similarly to his role in Heroes. But I don't think he'll be the main villain of another arc, though that's certainly possible too, given that Frieza was the main villain of two different arcs.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:26 pm

No. Why would he? Super has enough problems with its lack of villains. Making the only new villain (in anime) come back would make things even worse. Better make new, interesting villains. Unless it would be some kind of redemption of Zamasu himself (please don't ever go back to Goku Black, that was the worst thing ever) i see no reason for him to reappear. He was wiped out with another timeline, so it wouldn't even make sense for him to survive it in any way. Maybe if they didn't kill present Zamasu but alter future events without killing him he would join as an ally after they making him realize how dumb his plan was. That's the only way i can see him ever return in actual series. Making him good before he goes completely evil with no point of return.

Or let me ask this, what would bringing him back as a villain acomplish? What new plot could be built around him? He would just keep talking about how bad ningens are again. That would be Future Trunks arc over and over again.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Zamasu on his own isn't that much interesting, but I think it might be interesting to see more of Goku Black and/or Merged Zamasu. It will depend a lot on the context these characters will be put in too. Last we saw of them, Merged Zamasu was cooperating with Hearts and that added a bit of layer to the character personality and to his development. It was cool. Now, Goku Black might be returning in this new Heroes saga, let's see how it plays out. But if not even Heroes can provide good stuff for him, then it's a sign Zamasu should not come back anymore.

Well, as long as it doesn't turn out to be a retreat of Future Trunks saga, after all the conflict only to lead Trunks to live in yet another timeline with himself, I'm down for the possibilities.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:31 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 pm Zamasu on his own isn't that much interesting. But I think it might be interesting to see more of Goku Black and/or Merged Zamasu. It will depend a lot on the context these characters will be put in too. Last we saw of them, Merged Zamasu was cooperating with Hearts and that added a bit of layer to the character personality and to his development. It was cool. Now, Goku Black might be returning in this new Heroes saga, let's see how it plays out. But if not even Heroes can provide good stuff for him, then it's a sign Zamasu should not come back anymore.

Well, as long as it doesn't turn out to be a retreat of Future Trunks saga, after all the conflict only to lead Trunks to live in yet another timeline with himself, I'm down for the possibilities.
I swear, i will never understand why people prefer Goku Black over Zamasu himself. I would be fine with that arc if it was about Zamasu only. While having two big villains is something we don't see very often in DB, i'd have preffered if story focused on Zamasu alone. Seeing how weak Granola might be a big threat now thanks to dragon balls, Zamasu himself could be as much if not more dangerous than the duo we got, except for Fused Zamasu probably.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 pm

If Zamasu comes back it will be as Fused Zamasu (which is my favourite incarnation of Zamasu anyway)... It's what would make the most sense storywise. Goku Black and Future Zamasu ceased to exist once they merged, so it wouldn't make sense for them to randomly be back unfused.

That's not to say that I dislike Goku Black (how could I? He's still Zamasu), but it would be much easier to justify Fused Zamasu's return than Black's.

"Zalama the Dragon God was revealed to be a higher deity than Zeno, meaning that Zamasu, who had been granted immortality by Zalama's power, was ultimately able to endure even Zeno's attack. From then on, he went into hiding until he was strong enough to strike again."

There, done. Zamasu's return is justified. That's honestly the least of the writers' problems. What matters is how he is actually written after his hypothetical return.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:42 pm

I'm down for a Xenoverse game with him teaming up with Towa.

Besides video games? I can't say i really want to see him.

If you were to ask me "Which Dragon Ball characters should return?" Zamasu wouldn't be on my top 10. Not when you have people like Cell, Cooler, Raditz, Uub, and Pikkon. Or hell, even old characters like Bardock and the Ginyu Force.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:38 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:31 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 pm Zamasu on his own isn't that much interesting. But I think it might be interesting to see more of Goku Black and/or Merged Zamasu. It will depend a lot on the context these characters will be put in too. Last we saw of them, Merged Zamasu was cooperating with Hearts and that added a bit of layer to the character personality and to his development. It was cool. Now, Goku Black might be returning in this new Heroes saga, let's see how it plays out. But if not even Heroes can provide good stuff for him, then it's a sign Zamasu should not come back anymore.

I swear, i will never understand why people prefer Goku Black over Zamasu himself. I would be fine with that arc if it was about Zamasu only. While having two big villains is something we don't see very often in DB, i'd have preffered if story focused on Zamasu alone. Seeing how weak Granola might be a big threat now thanks to dragon balls, Zamasu himself could be as much if not more dangerous than the duo we got, except for Fused Zamasu probably.
Because Anime Goku Black was a fucking badass. Manga Goku Black was the lame one.

On topic, maybe? There's a Future Zamasu still alive in Future Trunks new timeline. It's up the air what happened to Goku Black there so anything can happen.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 pm

I liked Zamasu / Goku Black, but no, I don't want him to return. I want new characters and stories. I wouldn't mind if they did a movie retelling of the arc, though, with higher quality animation.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 pm

As much as I enjoy the idea behind Zamasu and his mannerisms in the anime, I'd have to say... no.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 pm

No, villains that are dead should stay dead. If they ever kill Freeza again, should be also the last time they do something with him.
A TV Special retelling of FT Trunks arc with good production would be welcome though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Only if they do something more interesting with him than they did in Heroes.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:31 pmI swear, i will never understand why people prefer Goku Black over Zamasu himself.
Because he has the advantage of bringing new stuff regarding the Saiyan lore in general. I actually like Super Saiyan Rosé's concept. I find kind of interesting the idea that because he's a god, he doesn't need/have Super Saiyan God (redundant) and when he transforms into Super Saiyan, it's his Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (though there is the problem that Goku Black can transform into regular Super Saiyan in the manga, which technically shouldn't be possible. But at least it brings the possibility of him appearing as Super Saiyan 2 too!).

Plus, Goku Black can use Goku's techniques. It's high time we saw on-screen all these Goku-wannabes perform his moves like Kaio-Ken and Genki-Dama, not just Kamehameha, which it's very cliche and boring by now.

What Zamasu on his own can bring to the table? He should at least come with an explanation as to why he didn't become a Makaio in the first place, but they don't even bother to tell the viewers that. I can't really think of anything interesting for Zamasu.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:51 am

I think he's the one antagonist of super I don't want to return.

I'd love to see more of Hit, Jiren and Broly because they're alive and there is potential in having them in protagonist roles alongside Goku/Vegeta for an arc or two (maybe not all at the same time).

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:51 am

Why? He was literally fucking erased from existence (twice), if that isn't a proper FINAL villain's send-off, I don't know what is.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:05 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 pm If Zamasu comes back it will be as Fused Zamasu (which is my favourite incarnation of Zamasu anyway)... It's what would make the most sense storywise. Goku Black and Future Zamasu ceased to exist once they merged, so it wouldn't make sense for them to randomly be back unfused.

That's not to say that I dislike Goku Black (how could I? He's still Zamasu), but it would be much easier to justify Fused Zamasu's return than Black's.

"Zalama the Dragon God was revealed to be a higher deity than Zeno, meaning that Zamasu, who had been granted immortality by Zalama's power, was ultimately able to endure even Zeno's attack. From then on, he went into hiding until he was strong enough to strike again."

There, done. Zamasu's return is justified. That's honestly the least of the writers' problems. What matters is how he is actually written after his hypothetical return.
Question..

Which incarnation/version of Merged Zamasu do you prefer???

The Anime version, or Manga version?

I personally prefer the Manga version. Not only was he more of a savage (using Mai as a shield when getting vaporized), but he was also fully immortal, and not “unstable” at all, like the Anime version.. He was pretty much the perfect being except for the fact that he lacked the infinite Zenkai’s ofcourse. But by the end, there were many hundreds of Merged Zamasu’s chilling around, and they kept multiplying to no end. Manga Merged Zamasu’s “body” was 100% immortal. With no downsides or drawbacks whatsoever.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:13 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:05 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 pm If Zamasu comes back it will be as Fused Zamasu (which is my favourite incarnation of Zamasu anyway)... It's what would make the most sense storywise. Goku Black and Future Zamasu ceased to exist once they merged, so it wouldn't make sense for them to randomly be back unfused.

Question..

I personally prefer the Manga version. Not only was he more of a savage (using Mai as a shield when getting vaporized), but he was also fully immortal, and not “unstable” at all, like the Anime version.. He was pretty much the perfect being except for the fact that he lacked the infinite Zenkai’s ofcourse. But by the end, there were many hundreds of Merged Zamasu’s chilling around, and they kept multiplying to no end. Manga Merged Zamasu’s “body” was 100% immortal. With no downsides or drawbacks whatsoever.
They are basically the same character, the only difference is that Fused Zamasu in the anime actually behaves like an omniscient God and has 20 new techniques, while Fused Zamasu in the manga only throws some katchin blocks around and does a bad impression of Janemba. So I guess the anime better portrayed the idea that Fused Zamasu is the Absolute God, that with his radiant halo, echoed voice, hovering above the ground, etc.

Ultimately he was nerfed in both versions for inexplicable reasons, because in the manga he had a time limit, as apparently Zamasu wasn't an "official" Supreme Kai... even though he could literally use the Time Ring, which can be used only by Supreme Kais.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 am
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:31 pmI swear, i will never understand why people prefer Goku Black over Zamasu himself.
Because he has the advantage of bringing new stuff regarding the Saiyan lore in general. I actually like Super Saiyan Rosé's concept. I find kind of interesting the idea that because he's a god, he doesn't need/have Super Saiyan God (redundant) and when he transforms into Super Saiyan, it's his Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (though there is the problem that Goku Black can transform into regular Super Saiyan in the manga, which technically shouldn't be possible. But at least it brings the possibility of him appearing as Super Saiyan 2 too!).

Plus, Goku Black can use Goku's techniques. It's high time we saw on-screen all these Goku-wannabes perform his moves like Kaio-Ken and Genki-Dama, not just Kamehameha, which it's very cliche and boring by now.

What Zamasu on his own can bring to the table? He should at least come with an explanation as to why he didn't become a Makaio in the first place, but they don't even bother to tell the viewers that. I can't really think of anything interesting for Zamasu.
I mean, half of Fused Zamasu is literally composed of Black, plus he knows all of his abilities and techniques since, again, he is a fusion of Black and another Zamasu. I don't really see the difference from the perspective of story potential. The only possible difference is that Black was more Saiyan-like due to the influence of Goku's body, while Fused Zamasu had more of the other Zamasu's personality.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:46 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:13 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:05 am

Question..

They are basically the same character, the only difference is that Fused Zamasu in the anime actually behaves like an omniscient God and has 20 new techniques, while Fused Zamasu in the manga only throws some katchin blocks around and does a bad impression of Janemba. So I guess the anime better portrayed the idea that Fused Zamasu is the Absolute God, that with his radiant halo, echoed voice, hovering above the ground, etc.

Ultimately he was nerfed in both versions for inexplicable reasons, because in the manga he had a time limit, as apparently Zamasu wasn't an "official" Supreme Kai... even though he could literally use the Time Ring, which can be used only by Supreme Kais.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 am

I mean, half of Fused Zamasu is literally composed of Black, plus he knows all of his abilities and techniques since, again, he is a fusion of Black and another Zamasu. I don't really see the difference from the perspective of story potential. The only possible difference is that Black was more Saiyan-like due to the influence of Goku's body, while Fused Zamasu had more of the other Zamasu's personality.
That “time limit” was over when it was over.. (No pun intended). There WAS no time limit or problem anymore after it expired and Goku Black and Zamasu “transformed” into Fused Zamasu again. They had combined on a “molecular level”. And hence became perfect with no downsides at all. It became permanent after that. I’m talking about the end ofcourse, I would’ve thought that was obvious. Did you even read the manga???