I thought Granola was not able to become the strongest because of his limited latent potential?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dario03
Advanced Regular

Re: I thought Granola was not able to become the strongest because of his limited latent potential?

Post by dario03 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm

What happens if he wishes for immortality? What would happen if you wish for immortality and then make this strength wish?

Aim
Banned

Re: I thought Granola was not able to become the strongest because of his limited latent potential?

Post by Aim » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:03 am I am now going to introduce the most revolutionary idea ever (regarding Dragon Ball at least),

This will lead to a TRUE understanding of what’s going on INSIDE the story..

And that is Out of universe / writers intent / plot >>>>>>>> In universe “rules”, content.

These are the 2 perspectives that one MUST understand to learn more about Dragon Ball.

Some things can ONLY be explained from an out of universe perspective..

That is, the writers “WANTS” this to happen argument.. (And it works every time!)

You can actually clearly SEE it manifest IN-UNIVERSE wise aswell sometimes at certain specific times when it becomes really prevelant and reveals itself!

This is key here^^^.

In this case, we are talking about a character’s “POTENTIAL”.

And what is this truly means!

Here’s the secret, are you ready to hear this ground breaking revelation???

It is this...

A character’s potential is a 100% OUT OF UNIVERSE CONCEPT!

I.e. It is the author’s/writer’s INTENT and ability to change ANYTHING he sees fit ON A WHIM!

Meaning, that from the ultimate perspective, ALL CHARACTERS HAVE THE SAME POTENTIAL!

Now from an “IN-UNIVERSE” standpoint, this makes zero sense!

Because how could Mister Satan have EQUAL potential to Broly, or the Grand Priest???!

But, it DOES make perfect sense from the OUT OF UNIVERSE perspective (the writer’s desires!)

IF the writer wants to make Mr. Satan as strong as the Grand Priest... He can! (That’s his ultimate power to do so. Toriyama is GOD of the story afterall.)

The reason WHY I’m saying all this, is to explain the following event that constantly seems to happen in the story..

This explains why character can ALWAYS still get stronger IN THE STORY even AFTER “unlocking their potential.”....

Look at Gohan, 3 times in Z.. This is also why 17 and Future Trunks could suddenly (magically) MATCH Blue Tier fighters without any real previous training for it!

It’s PLOT!

“Potential unlocked AND SURPASSED = the writers saying this is what I want to happen wether you like it or not.”

One last time to clarify:

What a character’s “potential” TRULY IS is Author’s intent.

Plot! (Out of universe CONTROLS in universe.)

And you can actually SEE this manifest IN-UNIVERSE!

That’s the beauty if you look truly close enough!
Satan probably could become very powerful but he probably wouldn’t be willing to train or learn to go into the realm of the gods.

I don’t Potential Unleashed is a wall that he can’t get past, I always saw it as “unlocking the inner potential within and bringing it out fully without any kind of training whatsoever”, so he could technically train on top of it, his potential was just released.

I don’t think the writers argument really works in most cases in Dragon Ball. Kuririn and 17 didn’t match Goku as SSGSS, Goku was holding back, and was especially trying to push Kuririn since he gets nervous quickly in hard fights.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Latent potential is power a character currently has hidden within them, and future potential is how much power they could gain with training over time. Granolah was given his future potential at the cost of sacrificing part of his lifespan. Roshi and Krilin could wish for the same thing, but we don't know how much future potential they have to say if it would make them stronger than Jiren

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:27 am

It's an interesting if not contrived concept with some pretty thought provoking implications. One explanation next to the proposed idea of cumulative potential over a lifetime of training -- nevermind that this is an open-ended concept and would have to rely on the dragon being fully aware of Granolah's future training efforts a la Baba's prognostication ability -- is that its his current potential condensed finely that enhances his power emission in a manner similar to what we see during the Raditz fight.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 am

I think Gon Freecs from Hunter X Hunter did something similar:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm Latent potential is power a character currently has hidden within them, and future potential is how much power they could gain with training over time. Granolah was given his future potential at the cost of sacrificing part of his lifespan. Roshi and Krilin could wish for the same thing, but we don't know how much future potential they have to say if it would make them stronger than Jiren
This is the most simple and clear explanation right here. Current potential, and future potential if he trained for 150 years.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm Latent potential is power a character currently has hidden within them, and future potential is how much power they could gain with training over time. Granolah was given his future potential at the cost of sacrificing part of his lifespan. Roshi and Krilin could wish for the same thing, but we don't know how much future potential they have to say if it would make them stronger than Jiren
This is the most simple and clear explanation right here. Current potential, and future potential if he trained for 150 years.
Makes sense. So shouldn’t they be able to become immortal then wish to be the strongest?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 am

Aim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am
mute_proxy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 am
Makes sense. So shouldn’t they be able to become immortal then wish to be the strongest?
In Granola's case, the dragon granted only one wish, so that would not work.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:15 am

The wish probably calculated how strong Granola would be if he did the best intense training, with many great masters and in the best location for many years. Think of it like Future Gohan vs Present Gohan or Future Trunks vs Present Trunks, one is way stronger thanks to their intense training with great masters, while the other is weak due to not training hard.

If Goku never trained with Grandpa Gohan, Master Roshi, Korin, Mr Popo, Kami, King Kai, Yardrat, Whis and Merus. He wouldn't be as strong as he was. If Goku did the wish, then he would be beyond than he is now.

Think of it like Hunter X Hunter when