What a character’s “potential” TRULY MEANS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

What a character’s “potential” TRULY MEANS

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 am

I am now going to introduce the most ground breaking, and revolutionary idea, EVER (regarding Dragon Ball at least),

This will lead to a TRUE understanding of what’s going on INSIDE the story..

And that is Out of universe / writer’s intent / plot >>>>>>>> In universe “rules”, content.

These are the 2 perspectives that one MUST understand to learn more about Dragon Ball.

Some things can ONLY be explained from an OUT of universe perspective..

That is, the writers “WANT” this to happen argument.. (And it works every time!)

You can actually clearly SEE it manifest IN-UNIVERSE wise aswell sometimes at certain specific times when it becomes really prevelant and reveals itself!

This is key here^^^.

In this case, we are talking about a character’s “POTENTIAL”.

And what this truly means!

Here’s the secret, are you ready to hear this ground breaking revelation???

It is this...

A character’s “potential” is a 100% OUT OF UNIVERSE CONCEPT!

I.e. It is the author’s/writer’s INTENT and ability to change ANYTHING he sees fit ON A WHIM!

Meaning, that from the ultimate perspective, ALL CHARACTERS HAVE THE SAME POTENTIAL!

Now from an “IN-UNIVERSE” standpoint, this makes zero sense!

Because how could Mister Satan have EQUAL potential to Broly, or the Grand Priest???!

But, it DOES make perfect sense from the OUT OF UNIVERSE perspective (the writer’s desires!)

IF the writer wants to make Mr. Satan as strong as the Grand Priest... He can! (That’s his ultimate power to do so. Toriyama is GOD of the story afterall.)

The reason WHY I’m saying all this, is to explain the following event that constantly seems to happen in the story..

This explains why characters can ALWAYS still get stronger IN THE STORY even AFTER “unlocking their potential.”....

Look at Gohan, 3 times in Z.. This is also why 17 and Future Trunks could suddenly (magically) MATCH Blue Tier fighters without any real previous training for it!

It’s PLOT!

“Potential unlocked AND SURPASSED = the writers saying this is what I want to happen wether you like it or not.”

One last time to clarify:

What a character’s “potential” TRULY IS is Author’s intent.

Plot! (Out of universe CONTROLS in universe.)

And you can actually SEE this manifest IN-UNIVERSE!

That’s the beauty if you look truly close enough!

Potential, is an OUT OF UNIVERSE concept!

This is the true answer!^^^

And it reveals itself on ALL levels..

“As Above, So Below!”

That is.. Mr. Satan, (just by virtue of being a FICTIONAL character), holds the “possibility” (potential) inside him for his creator - Akira Toriyama, to be made even stronger than the Grand Priest and the Omni-King!

If only he so chooses...

It’s about the mere possibility for Toriyama to do that.. (that constitutes a character’s TRUE potential.)

Now whatever Toriyama or Toyotaro do with the actualization of a certain character’s potential, is up to them and is in their own hands...

But they can’t say or decide that a character has less than maximum potential! (Because “potential” IS the possibility for the Author to make the character infinitely strong!)

And the author can never truly ERASE the “possibility” of himself to do that. It will always be possible for Toriyama to make, let’s say, Yamcha stronger than the Grand Priest! This is what “potential” truly is..

That’s my entire argument right there in a nutshell!^^^
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am, edited 12 times in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: What a character’s “potential” TRULY MEANS. (This is how one can finally TRULY understand Dragon Ball as a whole!)

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 am

This means that there’s only ONE difference in the existing Dragon Ball characters right now..

They all have different levels of Actualization of their shared “infinite potential”.

Which, AGAIN! Is only properly understood from the OUT of universe perspective..

So from that ultimate perspective, the “Grand Priest” has managed to actualize way more of his potential than Krillin or Mr. Satan have...

The reason why I came up with this realization, is because if you look at everything from the “IN universe” perspective.. You will forever be confused and lost in circles of right, wrong, yes it is, no it isn’t feelings of confusion and doubt! (I’ve been there and seen it for myself.) So I know what I’m talking about.

Some things are only meant to be understood from an OUT of universe perspective!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What a character’s “potential” TRULY MEANS. (This is how one can finally TRULY understand Dragon Ball as a whole!)

Post by pepd » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 am

Your main point is true, but there is also the fact that a character and their in-universe potential is established by the author according to their intentions for the character.
Is very unlikely for character with established and reinforced low or limited potential to become really powerful, and it would require a proper justification. Gohan was established from the start to have a huge potential, is justified and a main plot of the character; is totally different from anime 17 and Trunks. Kurilin got a huge potential unlock when he was against monsters and everyone was getting huge power-ups, and ended up reinforcing his low human potential. Mr Satan would be mainly a gag, so is easier to justify and more likely to get a really huge power-up than, lets say, Yamcha.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:46 am

In short, a character’s “potential” is the author’s possibility to make the character infinitely strong!

And that is always there! You can never take that away from Toriyama!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: What a character’s “potential” TRULY MEANS

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 am

This is indeed the only truth. The writers just do whatever they want to suit the story being told. Gohan's potential was always high because that's the way it was, and everyone accepted it unquestioningly. It's not really news by any means but I guess it does bear stressing as people get bogged down in in-universe rules and whatnot, especially in a storyworld as purposefully eclectic and inconsistent as Toriyama's.

Nevertheless, I'm always disoriented at the ultra-passionate way you present your ideas. It's always very... Charlie-like... :lol:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 am This is indeed the only truth. The writers just do whatever they want to suit the story being told. Gohan's potential was always high because that's the way it was, and everyone accepted it unquestioningly. It's not really news by any means but I guess it does bear stressing as people get bogged down in in-universe rules and whatnot, especially in a storyworld as purposefully eclectic and inconsistent as Toriyama's.

Nevertheless, I'm always disoriented at the ultra-passionate way you present your ideas. It's always very... Charlie-like... :lol:

Thanks man.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:21 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 am A character’s “potential” is a 100% OUT OF UNIVERSE CONCEPT!
I wonder how many less threads we would have here if the average user understood that this is how art in general works.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Zephyr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:21 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 am A character’s “potential” is a 100% OUT OF UNIVERSE CONCEPT!
I wonder how many less threads we would have here if the average user understood that this is how art in general works.
Which kinds of threads? Ones about a character's development or a character's battle strength.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san