The Goten Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Goten Thread

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:56 am

Xeno Goten and GT Goten ♡

Honestly I just adore how he looks there, he's so cute and hot ♡ he's also the only guy I know who can make purple jeans look sexy on a guy.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 pm

1. Yes, I love his GT design. His kid version is 1:1 Goku which was adorable at the beginning but... It wouldn't work with adult version. And his EoZ version looks very much like Yamcha (and Gine when her design went public). Don't get me wrong, Yamcha is my favourite earthling. People say he looks like Gohan but... He does not. They have two different hairstyles. There is resemblance but one has to be blind to not see the differences.

2. I think... The concept is good, but I'd rather he had his GT hairstyle. And more, the Future Trunks that appears in "our world" he should be "GT/EoZ" Trunks. So we could have even more fun with timelines and time travel. Heores could pick it up. There is potential but "GT/Kid/EoZ" Trunks and "GT/Kid/EoZ" Goten are pretty much absent in this series...

3. GROW UP. I want time skip to End Of Z territory. I'm sick of kid Goten and kid Trunks. I'd rather not see them at all than watching them as characters forever stuck as children.
I want him to be ladies man at first for some funny jokes and giggles and then... I want him to be married with Palace. I want their relationship in "canon" (I hate this word). Palace is cute.
And of course, I would love for him and Trunks to be relevant. Even better, I want them to be the heroes of their own story (without their boring and overused fathers stealing the spotlight).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am

Trouser wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 pm 1. Yes, I love his GT design. His kid version is 1:1 Goku which was adorable at the beginning but... It wouldn't work with adult version. And his EoZ version looks very much like Yamcha (and Gine when her design went public). Don't get me wrong, Yamcha is my favourite earthling. People say he looks like Gohan but... He does not. They have two different hairstyles. There is resemblance but one has to be blind to not see the differences.

2. I think... The concept is good, but I'd rather he had his GT hairstyle. And more, the Future Trunks that appears in "our world" he should be "GT/EoZ" Trunks. So we could have even more fun with timelines and time travel. Heores could pick it up. There is potential but "GT/Kid/EoZ" Trunks and "GT/Kid/EoZ" Goten are pretty much absent in this series...

3. GROW UP. I want time skip to End Of Z territory. I'm sick of kid Goten and kid Trunks. I'd rather not see them at all than watching them as characters forever stuck as children.
I want him to be ladies man at first for some funny jokes and giggles and then... I want him to be married with Palace. I want their relationship in "canon" (I hate this word). Palace is cute.
And of course, I would love for him and Trunks to be relevant. Even better, I want them to be the heroes of their own story (without their boring and overused fathers stealing the spotlight).
Dude, I would love to see Goten marry Palace too. And yeah, a story with Goten and Trunks as main characters would be sweet. Hopefully it happens someday.

(I accidentally deleted this post the other day. I meant to delete one of my other posts lol.)

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:03 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am I like GT Goten. I think it's a hilarious contrast by having him be this ladies man.

Personally, I wanna see Goten be a super smooth bisexual. Put him in scenarios that are not strictly about fighting.
After Super Hero and the manga prologue I'm firmly in the "just have him be gay" camp, or at the very least primarly into dating guys if they really wanna keep the pretense that GT could sorta/somehow be canon possibility in the future.

I loved what Toriyama/Toyatoro did in Chapters 88-90 with the boys and I'm almost shocked how much character and personality Present!Trunks aquired literally within just a few pages, to the point that I could already see him leading a new arc/spin-off or whatever. But I'm also quite disappointed that Goten recieved the very short end of the developement stick in the Super Hero prologue, remaining still mostly underwritten and attached primarly to Trunks' persona and developement. Being the wingman/straightman /laidback type of a personality =/= having little to none character and that part seems to be still eluding the Tori-Toyo team.

What's worse that even the sole quasi-unique Goten characteristic from GT (going on dates/ladies man) now got transplanted onto Present!Trunks too, having him already get involved with Mai (even if for the comedic purpouses cause she's technically an old lady) and even a love triangle with Goten's classmate pinning for Trunks too. Which also turned one of the few solo Goten moments in the prologue to be about Trunks again actually ehhh...

Then there's the "not good with computers" line which was a great oppurtunity to add some uniquness to Goten but they didn't take advantage of it all. With just a few lines they could've established him to be a nerdy tech/gadgets fanboy in comparsion to Trunks, kind of like actual teenagers dream about iPhones and whatnot. Which in turn could be used years later to establish that Goten helped Trunks get better at "computer stuff" explaining how Trunks would eventually be able to build/fix machines and all. But again, this wasn't explored and taken advantage of further at all.

So yeah, I want stuff that makes Goten different to Trunks. They already share common traits and interests (superhero fanboying and the whole Saiyamen shtick), they got the fusion yet Trunks managed to recieve plenty of his own unique characteristics and quirks in the prologue chapters so anything that will make Goten stand out is very much needed. Have him date guys, make and SHOW him be good at computers/phones/vidya games and maybe even helping Trunks with the gadgets, anything. Unfortunately for the most he still seems to exsist mostly as an accessory to Trunks and to prop up his character....

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:22 pm

In Dragon Ball we have no idea who Goten was going to go on a date with, so this person is a mystery. As for DBS Manga I don't believe we have seen Goten interested in anyone.
I wonder if in the new chapter they will show more about Goten, so we know more about him.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm

1) What's your fave version of him? (Mine is GT)
> epilogue Goten. Nice seeing this goofy little kid becoming the most normal of the Son family.

2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
Like Goku Black being revealed to be a grown up Goten gone bad or something? I guess it could be interesting but I'm not sure Dragon Ball could pull it off in a satisfying manner.
3) What do you want to see him do in the future?
Bisexual poly Goten with the rizz. Always bringing a girl and boy home to Mount Paozu for "study dates"

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:09 pm

Kappa wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am Here's some questions to get things started:
1) What's your fave version of him? (Mine is GT)
2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
3) What do you want to see him do in the future?
1) My favorite versions of Goten is Kid Goten and EoZ Goten. Although, as of Super? I've sort of... had enough of Kid Goten (or to be more accurate, Goten LOOKING like a 7 year-old) for a LONG while.

2) Honestly, I've never had a STRONG opinion on 'Goten Black'. I do feel like it's shoe-horning Goten into the point for the sake of it, but I do feel like Goten COULD develop a sense of 'inadequacy' over being overshadowed by nearly everyone he knows/looks up to (Trunks, Gohan, and Goku). Maybe said feeling could fester into a negative outlet?

3) Just like with Gohan, I certainly don't need Goten to be so insanely powerful that he ends up answering the question 'What if Superman was in DB?', but I would like to see him be more involved in future events. Frankly, I've never been a big fan of how Goten has become SO attached to Trunks' hip, that he can barely get ANY form of character development. Say what you want about GT, but I actually enjoy what it did with him, making him a 'ladies' man'. I'll say this, I wouldn't mind too much if modern DB went in the opposite direction and made Goten a hopeless romantic, though I would hope that he gets a proper through-line leading up to him finding that special lady.

Hey, if Gohan and Krillin pulled it off...

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:09 pm Frankly, I've never been a big fan of how Goten has become SO attached to Trunks' hip, that he can barely get ANY form of character development.
Which is probs the reason Toyo writes him as the much more quiet/reserved/shy type with Trunks taking all of the high-school charisma popular boy tropes. That being said I ain't against that, it can be make up for a great character on its own too, it would be silly if everyone was a massive extrovert and stuff. But more shy people have personalities too. They could show Goten being into tech, getting too excited about some nerdy stuff, painting models, putting together his own lil drones or something ('cause no cash to buy). Whatever works and fits, but something of his own. At the moment he either doesn't have anything really or stuff he already shares with Trunks (Saiyamen, Gotenks fusion). Just gotta be careful not to make him too much like Gohan by accident...
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:09 pm Say what you want about GT, but I actually enjoy what it did with him, making him a 'ladies' man'. I'll say this, I wouldn't mind too much if modern DB went in the opposite direction and made Goten a hopeless romantic, though I would hope that he gets a proper through-line leading up to him finding that special lady.
Yeah the romantic type suits his current personality way more. Maybe not some soapy rose-colored big eyes type of stuff but I can't see the current incarnation of Goten suddenly becoming a serial ladies/studs man, doesn't gel with his reserved and reactive demeanour. To me the Super Hero prologue Goten and GT Goten give off completly different vibe and almost feel like 2 different characters. Not saying either is bad, but they don't go together. Ironically Trunks in GT feels way more like Goten now, almost like Toyo switched their personalities lol. I would say Toyo's version works a bit better given their childhood personalities in Boo arc/Super. Lil Trunks was always the more daring and leading. Assuming of course that the current incarnation of Goten is even intentional in the first place, and not just a byproduct of not writing much/anything for him really. I get the reserved vibe from him in big part because of how little there is.
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:09 pmHey, if Gohan and Krillin pulled it off...
I could easily go for both. How idiot-Goku scored any is a miracle and mystery to me and no, the muscles have their limit too with THIS little inside the skull :P

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm Which is probs the reason Toyo writes him as the much more quiet/reserved/shy type with Trunks taking all of the high-school charisma popular boy tropes. That being said I ain't against that, it can be make up for a great character on its own too, it would be silly if everyone was a massive extrovert and stuff. But more shy people have personalities too. They could show Goten being into tech, getting too excited about some nerdy stuff, painting models, putting together his own lil drones or something ('cause no cash to buy). Whatever works and fits, but something of his own. At the moment he either doesn't have anything really or stuff he already shares with Trunks (Saiyamen, Gotenks fusion). Just gotta be careful not to make him too much like Gohan by accident...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind Goten being the 'reserved' type that's into tech, painting, and whatnot. I know I'D certainly find it endearing. I'd just ask that they don't lean TOO hard into that, so as to not risk having people say "Well, now he just feels like Gohan, but more interested in the "hands-on" side of academia".

Still, it's too bad. Someone I follow on Tumblr had a very fascinating idea that involved reworking just how Goten and Trunks got into the superhero business, where GOTEN was the one to instigate the idea, and Trunks was the one who got dragged along for the ride. Personally, I think this is FAR more fitting, given how Goten at least liked Gohan's Great Saiyaman schtick at some point (Unlike Trunks, who found it idiotic from the get-go).

I don't know if the link works, but here's their take on this whole concept.
https://www.tumblr.com/sweetescapeartis ... dbs-mangas
Yeah the romantic type suits his current personality way more. Maybe not some soapy rose-colored big eyes type of stuff but I can't see the current incarnation of Goten suddenly becoming a serial ladies/studs man, doesn't gel with his reserved and reactive demeanor. To me the Super Hero prologue Goten and GT Goten give off completely different vibe and almost feel like 2 different characters. Not saying either is bad, but they don't go together. Ironically Trunks in GT feels way more like Goten now, almost like Toyo switched their personalities lol. I would say Toyo's version works a bit better given their childhood personalities in Boo arc/Super. Lil Trunks was always the more daring and leading. Assuming of course that the current incarnation of Goten is even intentional in the first place, and not just a byproduct of not writing much/anything for him really. I get the reserved vibe from him in big part because of how little there is.
Ngl... if nothing else, it would be interesting to see a male member of Goku's family who can actually speak to women without being innocently insensitive (Goku) or outright shy (Gohan). That said, I'm still a bit torn on whether Goten should be able to keep a date. Like, I've always had the idea that his dates find him cute/handsome, but they just don't gel with his personality all too well.

What's more, something I've sort of been hoping for in regards to Goten finding a significant other is that they're NOT a retread of Chi-Chi and/or Pre-haircut Videl. Like, they don't have to be totally submissive or anything, but I can't stand Chi-Chi's 'tiger mom' persona and Videl didn't exactly win me over with her semi-entitled personality when she first got introduced.

[/quote]I could easily go for both. How idiot-Goku scored any is a miracle and mystery to me and no, the muscles have their limit too with THIS little inside the skull :P
[/quote]

Oh, without a doubt. I feel like it should be noted that Goku and Vegeta had their wives come to THEM. It's not like they actively seeking a partner at the time... Like I alluded to before, if there's hope for THEM?? There's hope for ANYONE.

By the way, I've been wanting to ask for sometime now, but is that supposed to be Goten (EoZ) as SSJ4? It looks really good, AND it even ties into something I've had in mind for Goten for a long while now where he'd take the superhero thing to its extreme and become DB's answer to Captain Marvel/Shazam where he uses SSJ4 as a superhero alter-ego of sorts.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:09 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm Oh, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind Goten being the 'reserved' type that's into tech, painting, and whatnot. I know I'D certainly find it endearing. I'd just ask that they don't lean TOO hard into that, so as to not risk having people say "Well, now he just feels like Gohan, but more interested in the "hands-on" side of academia".

Still, it's too bad. Someone I follow on Tumblr had a very fascinating idea that involved reworking just how Goten and Trunks got into the superhero business, where GOTEN was the one to instigate the idea, and Trunks was the one who got dragged along for the ride. Personally, I think this is FAR more fitting, given how Goten at least liked Gohan's Great Saiyaman schtick at some point (Unlike Trunks, who found it idiotic from the get-go).

I don't know if the link works, but here's their take on this whole concept.
https://www.tumblr.com/sweetescapeartis ... dbs-mangas
Thx for the link! Yeah that idea could work very well. Reserved type of personality doesn't really mean ZERO agency in real life. Even introverts can absolutely take the active role, especially when it's something they're bvery passionate about. Could deffo see Goten leading with the whole Saiyaman shtick if it was explained how much of a Cleangod fanboy he already was.
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm Ngl... if nothing else, it would be interesting to see a male member of Goku's family who can actually speak to women without being innocently insensitive (Goku) or outright shy (Gohan). That said, I'm still a bit torn on whether Goten should be able to keep a date. Like, I've always had the idea that his dates find him cute/handsome, but they just don't gel with his personality all too well.

What's more, something I've sort of been hoping for in regards to Goten finding a significant other is that they're NOT a retread of Chi-Chi and/or Pre-haircut Videl. Like, they don't have to be totally submissive or anything, but I can't stand Chi-Chi's 'tiger mom' persona and Videl didn't exactly win me over with her semi-entitled personality when she first got introduced.
Aye. That trope is tired at this point anyway so whoever Goten/Trunks end up dating should really be less of a typical short-tempered girl character Toriyama used to love to write (before turning them into a housevie lol). Well, Bulma/Chi-Chi at least retained some of their personalities but Videl is literally a different character than what she was during Saiyaman saga, whether we liked her then or not.
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm By the way, I've been wanting to ask for sometime now, but is that supposed to be Goten (EoZ) as SSJ4? It looks really good, AND it even ties into something I've had in mind for Goten for a long while now where he'd take the superhero thing to its extreme and become DB's answer to Captain Marvel/Shazam where he uses SSJ4 as a superhero alter-ego of sorts.
Oui it's (suppoused to be) SSJ4 EOZ Goten, drew it few years ago. Thx for the compliment but I you were even wondering if it's him then clearly I didn't do good enough job haha :lol: I admit tho, getting that shaggy EOZ Goten hair right is major PAIN, especially in SSJ/SSJ4 forms. Everything I tried I was stil constantly ending up with 80s Farrah Fawcett/Ozzy Osbourne wigs so I just gave up, it is what it is :lol: I'm doing golden SSJ4 (SSJ5?) now so will probs go back and try and change/fix some stuff in that SSJ4 drawing after

Your idea sounds so cool and reminds me of some of the more "hairy" X-men like Beast. I could deffo see some cool superhero costumes appropirate for SSJ4 form like Beast had, still accenting the tail/furr but otherwise more armory-like than straight out Sentai spandex. I like the Saiyaman stuff but it's been done a lot, a new form of heroes could be nice change of pace

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 am

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:09 pm Thx for the link! Yeah that idea could work very well. Reserved type of personality doesn't really mean ZERO agency in real life. Even introverts can absolutely take the active role, especially when it's something they're bvery passionate about. Could deffo see Goten leading with the whole Saiyaman shtick if it was explained how much of a Cleangod fanboy he already was.
You're welcome! Honestly, now that I read that Tumblr post again, I'm left even MORE bummed out over Goten being totally ignored throughout this whole narrative thus far. :cry:
Aye. That trope is tired at this point anyway so whoever Goten/Trunks end up dating should really be less of a typical short-tempered girl character Toriyama used to love to write (before turning them into a housevie lol). Well, Bulma/Chi-Chi at least retained some of their personalities but Videl is literally a different character than what she was during Saiyaman saga, whether we liked her then or not.
Yes, exactly. I don't say such things around here all too often given how a lot of folks aren't exactly thrilled about what happened to Videl, going from the 25th WMAT to Super, but yeah. I could do with the team writing something different than 'short-tempered spitfire falls for oblivious-to-love Saiyan' again.

In fact, this right here is precisely why I truly hope Valese from GT can eventually get worked into modern DB. I always found her dynamic with Goten pretty cute, with HIM being the socially-savvy one and HER being the heavily-sheltered one. I also found it kind of funny how Valese's relationship with Goten sort of turns Vegeta's 'Saiyans are attracted to strong-willed people' claim on its head. I mean, Valese seems about demure as they come, yet Goten seems attracted to her all the same.
Oui it's (supposed to be) SSJ4 EOZ Goten, drew it few years ago. Thx for the compliment but I you were even wondering if it's him then clearly I didn't do good enough job haha :lol: I admit tho, getting that shaggy EOZ Goten hair right is major PAIN, especially in SSJ/SSJ4 forms. Everything I tried I was stil constantly ending up with 80s Farrah Fawcett/Ozzy Osbourne wigs so I just gave up, it is what it is :lol: I'm doing golden SSJ4 (SSJ5?) now so will probs go back and try and change/fix some stuff in that SSJ4 drawing after

Your idea sounds so cool and reminds me of some of the more "hairy" X-men like Beast. I could deffo see some cool superhero costumes appropriate for SSJ4 form like Beast had, still accenting the tail/furr but otherwise more armory-like than straight out Sentai spandex. I like the Saiyaman stuff but it's been done a lot, a new form of heroes could be nice change of pace
Oh, sorry! Don't get me wrong, I was 99.999% sure that was Teen Goten as an SSJ4 (I mean, it's not like SSJ4 Gohan looks like THAT, to my memory). Heck, I checked the link you sent me and honestly? Your SSJ4 Goten looks GODLY! Frankly, I sincerely appreciate you using Teen (EoZ) Goten as the base and NOT Goten (GT).

Thanks for the compliment on my idea, by the way! Still though, I should probably mention that I actually meant that Teen Goten's SSJ4 appearance... would BE the superhero costume. Like, Goten would think that he'd look SO different as an SSJ4 that there'd be no way that the average person would connect the dots that his normal self and SSJ4 are the same guy (Outside of him accidentally powering down in front of someone or whatever).

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 am Oh, sorry! Don't get me wrong, I was 99.999% sure that was Teen Goten as an SSJ4 (I mean, it's not like SSJ4 Gohan looks like THAT, to my memory). Heck, I checked the link you sent me and honestly? Your SSJ4 Goten looks GODLY! Frankly, I sincerely appreciate you using Teen (EoZ) Goten as the base and NOT Goten (GT).
Yeah, Gohan's official SSJ4 design from Super DB Heroes looks like this:
Which TBH is very close to pretty much 99% of fanart that came earlier, I guess everyone settled long ago how Gohan should look in SSJ4 form.

I used EOZ Goten' cause I HATE his GT design with passion :lol: Peak lazy Toriyama IMO, it's basically Gohan's hair in GT just slighty tilted. And then he removed Gohan's bang AND gave Vegeta a similar haircut too. These 3 end up looking way too similar, especilly with Gohan and Goten it's hard to distinguish them on screen. No clue why he did it like this right after designing very good EOZ stuff where everyone looked distinct and Goten finally got his signature (IMO) style...

EOZ:

and GT...

Just no Toriyama, NO!
dragonballhero wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:27 amThanks for the compliment on my idea, by the way! Still though, I should probably mention that I actually meant that Teen Goten's SSJ4 appearance... would BE the superhero costume. Like, Goten would think that he'd look SO different as an SSJ4 that there'd be no way that the average person would connect the dots that his normal self and SSJ4 are the same guy (Outside of him accidentally powering down in front of someone or whatever).
Ahh I get it, like Sailor Moon in the anime thinks nobody can recognize her :lol: Cute idea, fitting for an oblivious teenager! :lol: :D

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:03 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am Yeah, Gohan's official SSJ4 design from Super DB Heroes looks like this:
Which TBH is very close to pretty much 99% of fanart that came earlier, I guess everyone settled long ago how Gohan should look in SSJ4 form.

I used EOZ Goten' cause I HATE his GT design with passion :lol: Peak lazy Toriyama IMO, it's basically Gohan's hair in GT just slighty tilted. And then he removed Gohan's bang AND gave Vegeta a similar haircut too. These 3 end up looking way too similar, especilly with Gohan and Goten it's hard to distinguish them on screen. No clue why he did it like this right after designing very good EOZ stuff where everyone looked distinct and Goten finally got his signature (IMO) style...

EOZ:

and GT...

Just no Toriyama, NO!
Uuugghh... I swear, I couldn't STAND Toriyama's design choices for those 3 in GT. :x For goodness' sake, Gohan and Vegeta looked near-identical in base, and all 3 of them are nearly identical when in SSJ! Say what you will about Vegeta's mustache, but it REALLY would have helped...

All of that being said, I'll never forget watching SSJ Gohan (GT) vs. Baby-possessed SSJ Goten (GT). No joke, I could barely tell them apart as it was, and when they became shirtless?? I sometimes think TOEI KNEW what they were doing at that point, and they wanted to screw with their audience and see if they were paying attention to tell which Saiyan was which at that point.

For real, Toriyama (for the most part) hit the gold standard for them by the end of DBZ! WHY would he ruin a good thing, especially for poor Goten who FINALLY stopped looking like someone he knew at the time?? What's more, the look actually looked (IMO) GOOD on him!
Ahh I get it, like Sailor Moon in the anime thinks nobody can recognize her :lol: Cute idea, fitting for an oblivious teenager! :lol: :D
Yup! Granted, SSJ4 Goten's appearance doesn't entirely resemble his normal self, so at least with him, his confidence is kind of warranted, whereas Usagi, well...girl's gotten lucky so far. :shifty:

By the way... since this is probably the only time I'll get to say this without it coming out of nowhere, I actually crack-ship Teen Goten and Minako Aino/Sailor Venus, so... yeah. :shifty:

Just... figured I'd get that little bit of info about myself out of the way.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:07 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:03 pm Uuugghh... I swear, I couldn't STAND Toriyama's design choices for those 3 in GT. :x For goodness' sake, Gohan and Vegeta looked near-identical in base, and all 3 of them are nearly identical when in SSJ! Say what you will about Vegeta's mustache, but it REALLY would have helped...

All of that being said, I'll never forget watching SSJ Gohan (GT) vs. Baby-possessed SSJ Goten (GT). No joke, I could barely tell them apart as it was, and when they became shirtless?? I sometimes think TOEI KNEW what they were doing at that point, and they wanted to screw with their audience and see if they were paying attention to tell which Saiyan was which at that point.

For real, Toriyama (for the most part) hit the gold standard for them by the end of DBZ! WHY would he ruin a good thing, especially for poor Goten who FINALLY stopped looking like someone he knew at the time?? What's more, the look actually looked (IMO) GOOD on him!
That fight on Earth with Gohan and Goten in SSJ was just hysterical. There's no way none of the artists at Toei realized both of these characters look nearly identical but what could they do at that point ehhh... That's why I hope Goten's current look sticks and replaced the GT hair forever in all future stories :P
dragonballhero wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:03 pmBy the way... since this is probably the only time I'll get to say this without it coming out of nowhere, I actually crack-ship Teen Goten and Minako Aino/Sailor Venus, so... yeah. :shifty:
LMAO I can see why, out of all the Inner Senshi gals, I agree Minako would suit him best. Maybe because Goten reminds me of Yaten the most out of the Three Lights and Minako was the most into Yaten :P

-----

Anyway, I guess there won't be much Trunks/Goten stuff in the manga anymore. At least it doesn't look like another multi-part miniarc for them, Carmine seems done. I don't know what could they do with him that wouldn't feel forced. Maybe they'll go train with Goku/Gohan/Broly...

Or I'm just taking copium and Toyo/Tori are about to drop the boys hard :/

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:08 pm

Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:07 pm That fight on Earth with Gohan and Goten in SSJ was just hysterical. There's no way none of the artists at Toei realized both of these characters look nearly identical but what could they do at that point ehhh... That's why I hope Goten's current look sticks and replaced the GT hair forever in all future stories :P
You and me both, bud.
LMAO I can see why, out of all the Inner Senshi gals, I agree Minako would suit him best. Maybe because Goten reminds me of Yaten the most out of the Three Lights and Minako was the most into Yaten :P
Yeah, I always felt like Minako's goofy, fun-loving nature would mix well with Goten's 'chill, lovable slacker' personality.
Anyway, I guess there won't be much Trunks/Goten stuff in the manga anymore. At least it doesn't look like another multi-part miniarc for them, Carmine seems done. I don't know what could they do with him that wouldn't feel forced. Maybe they'll go train with Goku/Gohan/Broly...

Or I'm just taking copium and Toyo/Tori are about to drop the boys hard :/
Honestly, I can't shake this feeling that Goten and Trunks actually might be more involved in the next arc than we think. I mean, when one considers the fact that the Super manga has gone out of its way to give them ANY focus whatsoever, even having them play a bit more of a role in the fight against Cell Max...

Like, if they weren't there when Goku teleported back to Earth just now, I could easily see him invite Gohan to come over to Beerus' place alone, with the boys realizing that they just missed him returning home or something. But with them there, perhaps Goku will inform all of them that Frieza might be making his move against them sooner than they thought and that they might need all hands-on-deck for whatever Frieza plotting... or I maybe I'm also taking way too much copium as well. :oops:

Side note, but I recently rewatched the Super anime's "Great Saiyaman Returns" 2-parter that occurred just before the T.O.P., and I'm honestly starting to think that the DB Room team (and TOEI, for that matter) should have saved that entire plot thread for Saiyamen X-1and X-2 instead.

Like, I would have much preferred that to be the case rather than have Goten and Trunks rehash Gohan's high school superhero days.