The Goten Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

The Goten Thread

Post by Kappa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am

Here's some questions to get things started:
1) What's your fave version of him? (Mine is GT)
2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
3) What do you want to see him do in the future?
Last edited by Kappa on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Goten Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am

I like GT Goten. I think it's a hilarious contrast by having him be this ladies man.

Personally, I wanna see Goten be a super smooth bisexual. Put him in scenarios that are not strictly about fighting.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:14 am

1) GT is the only show that actually does anything interesting with Goten's character, even then it is confined to, what, three/four episodes about/referencing his dates?
2) It would be quite jarring to see a Goten Black, since he was such a good-natured boy, but I honestly don't give much of a damn about it.
3) I just want him and trunks to return to the foreground, man.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am I like GT Goten. I think it's a hilarious contrast by having him be this ladies man.

Personally, I wanna see Goten be a super smooth bisexual. Put him in scenarios that are not strictly about fighting.
I'd like that too. Goten always seems to have a bit of a precocious "thing" with Trunks, in my view. They're probably better as friends but it would be hilarious if we later see older Goten going out with a handsome lavender-haired chap, giving Trunks a weird ego boost.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:26 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am I like GT Goten. I think it's a hilarious contrast by having him be this ladies man.

I'd like that too. Goten always seems to have a bit of a precocious "thing" with Trunks, in my view. They're probably better as friends but it would be hilarious if we later see older Goten going out with a handsome lavender-haired chap, giving Trunks a weird ego boost.
Seme Goten and uke Trunks, please. 😭😭😭😭😭
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:01 am

Here at Kanzenshuu, whenever we wanted to create a thread about a specific character (or thing) to show our appreciation, we usually named it "[Name] Appreciation Thread". Used to be a thing in the past (I did one last year). These threads belong to the General Franchise Discussion section.
Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am1) What's your fave version of him? (Mine is GT)
Xeno Goten.
Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
I don't know what to think of it. Could be interesting, or it could turn out to be horribly ridiculous.
Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am3) What do you want to see him do in the future?
Dragon Ball Super Goten - I want him to grow the heck up.

Xeno Goten - Would be very nice to see him as Super Saiyan 2. And to continue not to live in Trunks shadow, as his counterpart do.
β€’ Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed! β€’

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 am

Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am I figured I'd continue my "character discussion" series with another one of my faves: Son Goten.

My time as the resident Goten stan has come lmao.

1) Fav is Z Goten. But I like GT Goten too, just wish he kept something more like his End of Z design.
2) Yeah, because a good person 'poisoned' by Zamasu and it actually being Goten could've been interesting and made the fight very personal for Goku (but DBS wrote Goku horribly in that arc anyway, so it prolly wouldn't matter)
3) Grow up. Get a chance to shine that doesn't involve him getting one of the recolor forms. Hook up with Marron and get married. :lol:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:18 am

Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am I figured I'd continue my "character discussion" series with another one of my faves: Son Goten.

1) GT Goten because he is his own character. Z Goten has several Goku traits, including his design, as DBS Goten does too, but GT Goten deviates from everything, he is a dater, his hairstyle is different and cool, and has different interests. EoZ Goten also is nice. I like Z Goten too, it's like Goku if he grew up in a "better" environment, without so many responsibilities. DBS Goten is the only one I don't like.

2) I'm glad that never happened because that would mean Goten grows to be indistinguishable from his father, and the exact opposite is what makes me like GT Goten.

3) get promoted to main fighter, like Gohan and Piccolo are right now in the manga, and 17 and Gohan's role had in the anime.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:46 am

GT, as it was the only one that existed on his own, even if he didn't get a lot of screentime + he wasn't kid Goku clone. DBZ/DBS Goten is mostly just 50% of Gotenks. Meanwhile GT Goten got his own 1vs1 fight againt main villain. I still love DBZ Goten though, he has a lot of charm, but some of my love for him might come from english dub as i really like Kara Edward's voice as Videl and Goten.
No, it was hilarious, but wasn't as predictable as what we got at least and was more original so in the end it is a better concept i guess? But better doesn't mean good.
Exist. Simple as that. Calling him a character in DBS is overstatement.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Kappa wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 am
1) My favorite version of Goten is Buu Saga, he enjoys training, fighting and is willing to fuse with Trunks.

2)As cool as it would be for it to be Goten Black, I don't think it would be good. What is Goten motivation to wipe out all of humanity?
It would be better if Goten found out all the secrets and lies the adult hid like RoF, ToP and Moro invasion and use that hatred to posses him. Maybe have Freeza trick him, since he believes Freeza is one of the good guys thanks to Vegeta lie.

3) I want Goten to be allowed to train with powerful warrior and experts in martial arts. I want to see Goten learn Kenjutsu and combine ki into his weapon like in DBO. I want to see him help the good guys and fight enemies.
I want Goten to stop looking like his Buu Saga and grow, he shouldn't look identical to his Buu Saga self when 6 years has passed. Goku and Krillin grew between tournaments.

I would like Goten to go to Universe 6 and meet other Saiyans and maybe meet a female Saiyan. Both Goten and his girlfriend would like to train together and fight. If he falls in love with another alien like Freeza race, hit race, etc, that would be cool imagine a hybrid Saiyan/Human/? whatever those aliens are.

Mr Satan of all people was ordered to fight and even Chaiotzu got to fight, there is no reason why Goten can't fight and train. There is no reason to keep secrets. There the ROSAT he can use.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:36 pm

R. I have to admit, GT Goten is best Goten by far.

R. I liked the Grand Priest "El Presidente" Goten better, actually. Black being a grow-up Goten didn't make a lot of sense to me.

R. Like sunsetshimmer said, I'd just like him and Trunks to exist as characters. They're stupidly strong, even more so as Gotenks, there's no reason to keep them away from doing fun adventure stuff.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:56 pm

The Z one. The GT one have a nice visual (except the hair), but that's it.

It's a funny concept, like Gohan Blanco or something. But I won't use it for real.

I'll be happy if he (and Trunks) could use SS2 in the future.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:02 am

Piggybacking off of the ladies man characteristic, I'd love if Goten was taken under Yamcha's wing like Piccolo took Gohan under his wing. I'd love to see Goten being the new wild wolf complete with many of Yamcha's signature techniques. Beyond that, it'd be cool to see some episodes of them trying to pick up dates. I could see Toei getting a lot of comedic value out of that.

1) Goten at his peak for me was during his fight with Trunks. It was all downhill from there. The GT version out of them all is the most interesting.
2) The Super writing staff should have 100% went in this direction. It would have been a great twist on the idea and better connected with him being a rival of Trunks. The only thing better would have been if Zamasu had taken Gohan's body.
3) Trained by Yamcha and Tien, but if EoZ is any indication he's going to be an ordinary kid. I guess after that, I don't really know. He's still a blank slate.

**Okay, just thought of something. I'd like to see him as an actor. It would tie into him being a ladies man but also give him something unique to call his own. Either an actor or a sports guy like Yamcha. I just think he could play off Yamcha well with the ladies man gimmick and his laid back demeanor.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:25 pm

I don't want to see anything from him in the future. I am ecstatic that DBS rendered his powerful completely irrelevant. I'd only be open to him doing anything, if there was a time-skip to him being an adult, and he's like leading Bra, Pan, and the next generation of fighters. He'd be less annoying as an adult.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:26 am

Thani wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:36 pm 2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
R. I liked the Grand Priest "El Presidente" Goten better, actually. Black being a grow-up Goten didn't make a lot of sense to me.
What is this? I knew the Latin American fanbase drew up a connection between the Grand Priest and Gohan but I didn't know there was anything between him and Goten.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:26 am
Thani wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:36 pm 2) Do you think "Goten Black" was a good concept? Why/why not?
What is this? I knew the Latin American fanbase drew up a connection between the Grand Priest and Gohan but I didn't know there was anything between him and Goten.
It's pretty much the natural evolution of the Goten Black meme, I discovered it in manga form actually. Here are some key pages that I personally love.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:36 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am

Never knew I needed this.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 am

Thani wrote: ↑Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 am
It's pretty much the natural evolution of the Goten Black meme, I discovered it in manga form actually. Here are some key pages that I personally love.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: QUE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? to save my familia and amigos

This is really triste.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:49 am

Thani wrote: ↑Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 am
Brilliant double twist at the end.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:52 am

Black being Goten would make Black less badass and make Zamasu more badass (than he already is naturally).

It would make Black less badass because he wouldn't be a cunning God who rebelled against his divine kin, but a stupid Saiyan kid. It would make Zamasu even more badass because he raised and twisted a stupid Saiyan kid into a genocidal weapon. That's badass.

Ultimately though I think Black couldn't be anyone but Zamasu himself. It's just too perfect and appropriate.

Also if Black were Goten I guess Goku or Trunks would try to redeem him or would have a hard time killing him?