is piccolo god level in the manga?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: is piccolo god level in the manga?

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:23 pm

I don't have a problem with the idea that Piccolo might have touched SSjG level if people want to see things that way, but if 6 pages of discussion on the subject can't provide anything better than a scene of him getting beaten up alongside people who definitely are above that level to substantiate the claim, then we're looking at a pretty low evidentiary bar, here.

Whereas tight teamwork acted like a force-multiplier in the Tournament of Power to make unimpressive guys push the higher powers when they worked together, it's just not the answer in the Moro arc. It's no coincidence that the story uses both of Dragon Ball's most notable fighting duos to make the point in that scene, but trying to infer specific power relationships from it is so dicey as to have almost no probative value that I can see.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:52 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 pm SSG level is a big deal for the main cast. That's why we have Goku being impressed by the power of 17 and Boo, for example. Obviously Goku and Vegeta are already far above that, but except for the antagonists this is not that normal. Even the Gods of Destruction mentioned that the fight between SSG Goku and Toppo was at '' their level '' (of course not literally)
At this point in the show, not anymore. They were obviously surprised by Boo due to him being able to fight Moro, since the previous Boo was still far weaker than probably even Old Moro. As for 17, he was going to be the winner of the tournament of power and one of the people to fight in the main battle against Jiren, the "MVP". It was important to mention his power increase. And don't forget that the main reason why Goku was even surprised by 17's power was because he barely did anything to get that strong. He didn't spend that much training with full effort to get to that level (unlike characters like Goku and Vegeta). At the time before the ToP, before Jiren was introduced, SSG was still obviously a big deal. But now we are talking about the Moro Saga when even CSSB from the ToP (far stronger than SSG) would be considered fodder in the main battle against Moro. And as I said before, there is no need to mention more statements for Piccolo since the feats and Goku's statement already explained this by their own.

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm So do you think that 18, who has literally no line implying that she trained or got stronger (unlike Piccolo and Gohan), is as strong as 17 or reached God level just because of their team up? It seems much more reasonable to say that both are simply capable of fighting in a coordinated and synchronized way, just like Piccolo and Gohan. Although this is not something common in the original series (characters of such different levels being able to keep up with each other), it is clear that DBS has taken a different route in both anime and manga.
Yes. 18 is now closer to 17's level. That's clearly shown when they fought together. 18 has a potential similar to 17. Remember that Krillin said he trained. It's logical to assume that 18 must have helped Krillin train, and with that increasing her power. There's no reason why she couldn't reach that level just by training moderately. 17 got there just from barely doing anything, yet people barely even question this.

There is literally no way for Moro to even be impressed with BOTH 18 and 17's strength if 18 was still way far below 17. Or even being able to scratch him if she was still far below her brother. They both had the same feats in the Moro Saga throughout. And we have no proof that the whole "far weaker character can keep up with the way stronger one" thing was even introduced. We never saw teams of characters that had a huge difference between their powers work before. Dyspo and Toppo vs CSSB Vegeta literally shows what I mean.
Last edited by dragonball0900 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 pm So do you think that 18, who has literally no line implying that she trained or got stronger (unlike Piccolo and Gohan), is as strong as 17 or reached God level just because of their team up? It seems much more reasonable to say that both are simply capable of fighting in a coordinated and synchronized way, just like Piccolo and Gohan. Although this is not something common in the original series (characters of such different levels being able to keep up with each other), it is clear that DBS has taken a different route in both anime and manga.
there is a limit to teamwork at least according to the manga ... the pride troopers can face a weakened kale but kefla is too much for them and they are defeated
the teamwork of 17 and 18 did not work against sagambo because of the power difference they cannot keep up with piccolo and gohan who were able to continue fighting

god level or not at least this gives us to understand that piccolo > 17

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:58 pm

I'm keeping my posts to a minimum nowadays for obvious reasons, but the notion of Piccolo being God level is scant at best.

This mainly comes down to the Super manga treating Super Saiyan God as a significant benchmark as recently as the Universe Survival and Galactic Patrol Prisoner arcs. With the former, it shocks even the Hakaishin during the exhibition match, and with the latter, Goku is unable to maintain the form without totally obliterating the Galactic Patrol's training room. Toyotaro clearly still deems it important.

We're told/shown that Piccolo's teamwork with Gohan is impressive, but there's nothing concrete as far as his individual strength goes. You could read the entirety of the GPP arc assuming Piccolo isn't at that level without necessarily having to suspend any disbelief; even from an optimistic perspective, assuming you're a fan of the idea, it's unclear and not strongly supported.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 pm

I also forgot to mention (and this is after checking the manga and strength checkers from it as well on the web). When other characters like Boo or Android 17 had their power ups, they never made a constant big deal about them reaching god tier or something like that. At least not in the manga. They were still surprised that they got way stronger than before, but they weren't shocked at the notion of them being specifically at a level of a god.

It doesn't mean they didn't reach god tier, because they definitely did (at least in the case of Boo in the manga, he surely did). But they still didn't make such a big deal that they approached this "unmeasurable level of power" that is god tier. They were only surprised that they got a big power up out of a sudden without doing anything (literally in 17's case, assuming he was intented to be god level even in the manga). With Piccolo, Goku knows that he trained very hard with a far stronger Gohan. We see what happened in the Android Saga when Piccolo trained with someone far stronger than him. Why would it surprise Goku that Piccolo could receive big gains again? He knows Piccolo had Gohan as a partner. That should be the best way for Piccolo to have big gains. SSJ, just like SSG, was said to be this unmeasurable level of power, but Piccolo reached that tier in the Android Saga easily despite being weaker than Base Goku 3 years ago.

Yes, the gap between SSJ3 and SSG can be described as this big giant gap, and that SSG is the "level of gods" and such. But it's clear that despite this, the story no longer cares for any secondary character to reach god tier at this point, with the exception of the earthlings. There's no reason to downplay Piccolo just because there was no statement such as "Piccolo you reach god level!". It doesn't even mean anything if he reached that tier since that should still be fodder compared to Goku and Vegeta in their current states, and that's what matter the most: Goku and Vegeta are the only ones relevant, while the rest are pushed to the side.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:58 pm I'm keeping my posts to a minimum nowadays for obvious reasons, but the notion of Piccolo being God level is scant at best.

This mainly comes down to the Super manga treating Super Saiyan God as a significant benchmark as recently as the Universe Survival and Galactic Patrol Prisoner arcs. With the former, it shocks even the Hakaishin during the exhibition match, and with the latter, Goku is unable to maintain the form without totally obliterating the Galactic Patrol's training room. Toyotaro clearly still deems it important.

We're told/shown that Piccolo's teamwork with Gohan is impressive, but there's nothing concrete as far as his individual strength goes. You could read the entirety of the GPP arc assuming Piccolo isn't at that level without necessarily having to suspend any disbelief; even from an optimistic perspective, assuming you're a fan of the idea, it's unclear and not strongly supported.
I don't buy that, if Piccolo is too weak, then Gohan synchronising his speed and movements with him would lead to them both being too slow to land any hits on Saganbo, he'd have time to recover.

And their would be no reason for Gohan to do it in the first place if Piccolos hits and blasts were negligible.

He might be quite a bit weaker but he has to be somewhat relevant.

Do you really think if Gohan did what he did with Yamcha they could land blows on saganbo and he'd flinch at Yamchas blows?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:10 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 pm I don't buy that, if Piccolo is too weak, then Gohan synchronising his speed and movements with him would lead to them both being too slow to land any hits on Saganbo, he'd have time to recover.
I understand where you're coming from.

But as far as Super's mechanics go, there are clear examples of teamwork compensating for massive (and well-established) power gaps. Kale is the most noteworthy example -- the Pride Troopers have no issue keeping up with her after Vegeta notes her movements to be relatively simple in comparison, even though her speed and strength are far ahead of them individually. She also wasn't cleanly knocking Cabba's head off his shoulders when she nearly eliminated him, despite there being such a monumental rift between the two.

First and foremost, this is a story. It's not a precise mathematical graph. Nobody should be expecting the authors to get super technical with the ramifications of specific match-ups, but even if they did, there's even less reason to suspect those ramifications to line up with how fans would perceive them. If the intent of the scene is that it was Piccolo's teamwork/coordination with Gohan contributing to Piccolo's "feats", which still wasn't good enough to overcome Saganbo, and there's more than enough precedent for this to make a difference against stronger opponents, I'd think any alleged support for the premise of Piccolo having grown to God level proportions is going to look increasingly less promising as a result.

Absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence, of course, but it's too ambiguous to make heads or tails of at the end of the day.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:32 am

TobyS wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 pm I don't buy that, if Piccolo is too weak, then Gohan synchronising his speed and movements with him would lead to them both being too slow to land any hits on Saganbo, he'd have time to recover.
Despite the notion presented throughout this thread that a lopsided combo can't work, we do have examples in Super of coordination and teamwork making up the gaps in traditional speed and power (which is why I think it's dubious to assume that advantage wouldn't hold even if the strength of the characters coordinating were uneven; I know Toppo and Dyspo has been brought up as the counter, but logically there's no reason it shouldn't hold if team-ups between vastly weaker characters can still be effective against stronger ones).

We also have an example of technique making up gaps with a single character, in Turtle Hermit's ToP performance, to extrapolate from in terms of the advantages of non-strength-based coordination. And that's still all coming from a place of attributing more effectiveness to Gohan and Piccolo's short combination against Saganbo than is actually presented on the page, so I think even the notion that their few extra pages of struggle present a clearly more effective resistance than #17 and #18's is a bit of a false start. There are plenty of reasons to want to give a few extra pages to those two.

I'll just say that Magnificent Ponta and Mr Baggins have summed up my thoughts over the last several pages concisely on this one--it's a possible reading, but not one I see a mandate for in the scenes pointed out here--while also acknowledging no misgivings with BWri, who took the time to write out such a long, non-combative reply to my last one.

I can understand why people see it as a possible reading, but after six pages of discussion, do not see the argument for it being the definite or even most immediate one. It would take a much more clearly presented scene to bring me on board with the idea, and to play the psycho-analysis game, I still feel that if presenting a more substantial leap for Piccolo were on Toyotaro's mind, he would have given us that scene here.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 am

Kale was complelety mindless Vs the troopers.
Kale wasn't thaaaat much stronger than cabba freeza is confident he can solo her, fusion is a massive boost and kefla is still too weak for Goku.
U7 was holding back to save their ki.

Roshi exploited the fact that it was a no kill tournament, people had to hold back when striking at him.
He only beats khersahl who has no feats or basis of comparison for everyone else.

Dyspo only teams up on vegeta when he's as not God and then he can't help toppo anymore.

Toyos line showing the growth was him saying he barely recognised them.

Again if you can't image be gohans doing that with Chaozu you accept piccolo has grown enough to he relevant.

Maybe he's not God tier but he must be closer to the God end of the ss3 to God gap then most people are assuming. Where *exactly* he lands on that scale we don't know

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 am Kale was complelety mindless Vs the troopers.
Kale wasn't thaaaat much stronger than cabba freeza is confident he can solo her, fusion is a massive boost and kefla is still too weak for Goku.
U7 was holding back to save their ki.
That isn't the thrust of the scene though. Vegeta comments on her power-reliant, imprecise movements to Cabba, but it isn't to highlight that the Pride Troopers only have the upper hand because their opponent is mindless--it's to highlight that coordinated technique can help make up the difference against stronger opponents (to an extent, as obviously adding on Caulifla's power and battle smarts gets Kale out of her bind as Kefla), which is set up for Goku and Vegeta slipping into coordinated, relatively successful attacks against the much stronger Jiren in the climax.
Roshi exploited the fact that it was a no kill tournament, people had to hold back when striking at him.
He only beats khersahl who has no feats or basis of comparison for everyone else.
Sure; there are reasons Turtle Hermit's moments there don't completely turn everything we understand about power in DB on its head. But the thrust of the scenes in his surprising both Kaserhal and Jiren is that technique can help make up power gaps as well, more so than it's ever been implied to before (and more so than Goku thought to reflect on), which is part of pushing Goku toward Ultra Instinct.

There are other factors in play in both scenes, but the thrust of them together is still that both coordination and technique can make up power gaps, and that's reiterated in the GPP arc in Gohan and Piccolo's solution to dealing with Seven-Three, an entire fight just prior to the bout with Saganbo in which no allusion is made to massive power increases, with all the focus being on the advantage their combination attacks provide instead.

So if -- if -- one is insistent they're portrayed as doing meaningfully better than #17 and #18, and if that's intended to be any kind of authorial commentary on their having an advantage over the androids (and I think that's kind of questionable for as brief and unsuccessful as their dodging, backflipping, failing to blast away and then being punched out by Saganbo is at the beginning of the second chapter of the fight), the series has doled out plenty of context for there being factors other than God-level power in play.

And if the intent really is that Piccolo powering up to a level above #17 or near Gohan's is a major deciding factor, that's a horribly unclear way to show it--uncharacteristically unclear for Toyotaro even.
Maybe he's not God tier but he must be closer to the God end of the ss3 to God gap then most people are assuming. Where *exactly* he lands on that scale we don't know
Piccolo is definitely Much Stronger.

Strong enough to say he's at or above SSG would, for me, require much clearer scenes and/or other clear instances of characters inarguably reaching that level without much ado. (But it's still a level of ado, from all appearances amongst other characters; if Piccolo has quietly gotten up there, he's the first to, and also the one with by far the least conclusive scene with which to illustrate it.)

It's not impossible. I just don't feel like I'm stretching a reading in not feeling like that's the obvious conclusion based solely on the action in the Moro arc.

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:13 am

Cipher wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:00 pm

I personally don't see Piccolo being above No. 17 or there having been a major shift in strength order in the arc, when No. 17 was given multiple dialogue nods about how surprising his power was in the previous arc and everything for Piccolo outside a remark that he's stronger than he was before is down to interpreting specific attacks/panels in a teamwork fight. If there were anything to go on other than scrutinizing individual punches and kicks during the Gohan-partnered bout, I'd sing a different tune. But individual moments are always the least reliable for assessing strength, especially in DBS, which has highlighted other means of making up the gaps during moment-to-moment fighting. Could be teamwork, sneak attacks, technique, etc. Dialogue references are solid; panel-to-panel exchanges come with question marks.

I'm not even sure he's shown to be doing better than No. 17, who is tossed around like a ragdoll alongside unquestionably-the-strongest-there Gohan earlier in the fight, but to any extent that he is, as long as it's alongside Gohan and not on his own, it's easy to attribute to the two having honed their team-attacks during training.
Dude how can't you see Piccolo being above No.17?

Piccolo performed much better than 17 in the Saganbo fight, Piccolo and Gohan were presented as stronger than 17 and 18, since the androids couldn't keep fighting with Saganbo anymore, while Piccolo and Gohan kept fighting and managed to hurt Saganbo, so there's no doubts about it. Piccolo is stronger than 17.

I can't understand what makes you believe Piccolo is weaker than 17. I mean, after the moro arc, if you think 17 is sronger than Piccolo, it's because for whatever reason you don't like it and you're in denial.

I mean, saying Piccolo is weaker than 17, it's like saying Vegeta is weaker than Gohan, of course someone can say Vegeta is weaker than Gohan, but that would be just a moronic statement with no substance to back it up, the same thing happens here with Piccolo and 17.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 am

While I’m on the side that Piccolo is closer to SSGod than he ever had, saying you can’t understand the reasons against this idea requires you to ignore everything that was said in this thread.

I defend that group parties should have not-too-far levels to justify good coordination moves, but this is only my opinion. There is no evidence that this is required to work on Piccolo and Gohan’s case. At best, we can assume that Gohan and Piccolo’s duo is better than 17 and 18’s, but that’s about it. This says nothing about their individual strength.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 am

Piccolo_Daima wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:13 am Piccolo performed much better than 17 in the Saganbo fight, Piccolo and Gohan were presented as stronger than 17 and 18, since the androids couldn't keep fighting with Saganbo anymore, while Piccolo and Gohan kept fighting and managed to hurt Saganbo, so there's no doubts about it. Piccolo is stronger than 17.
Piccolo and Gohan don’t hurt Saganbo. They have one extra scene after a chapter break in which #17 and #18 are observing, they zip around him, backflip away from a shockwave, fire a combined blast Saganbo walks through, and then get punched to the ground.

That’s the entire scene. It’s dubious they do much better against Saganbo than the androids, but to the extent that they might, reasons for that not being a shoe-in for Piccolo surpassing #17 have been covered throughout the entire thread.

I think it’s okay to say there are doubts about it.

In the absence of anything concrete, I’ll hold to the last established status quo. If and when the story wants to confirm Piccolo is stronger, that’s fine.
I mean, saying Piccolo is weaker than 17, it's like saying Vegeta is weaker than Gohan, of course someone can say Vegeta is weaker than Gohan, but that would be just a moronic statement with no substance to back it up, the same thing happens here with Piccolo and 17.
That is, in fact, not like saying Vegeta is weaker than Gohan, because we have specific dialogue telling us in no uncertain terms that Vegeta is stronger than Gohan.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:54 pm

I try to keep Piccolo in the lower end since he doesn't have god Ki, but seeing he's close to Gohan who by this point is SSJB level, he's fairly powerful. I have him as strong as #17.
Tai Lung wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 pm Not being explicitly said by the narrative, it is hard to believe that. It is no different from people believing that Gohan was MSSB level in the manga for defeating Kefla, although it was clearly stated by Krillin that he was weaker than Goku
the difference is that krillin is krillin ... he does not feel the god ki so vados and champa say the opposite which if they can feel it and they saw the fight of goku and toppo
Hit, Toppo, SSJ Kale, Freeza, all are at least as strong as SSJB Goku without God Ki. It's really not that hard to find out how strong Goku is when he has so many rivals.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm

The trouble with comparing him to 17 in the manga is we only know 17 is for sure stronger than SS2 so that really doesn't help us much in narrowing down where Piccolo “stops”

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm

I find it amusing that for the ToP he off panels Gohan to be Kefla level. Dude has surely gotta be god tier to do that.....

His showing in the ToP himself wasn’t that special still getting the humiliating elimination.

Wouldn’t take his plan to blow himself up to stop Moro as anything serious. He was the last one standing and had to do something. A better to go out swinging situation.

Also combo and synchronicity doesn’t necessarily equate to incredible raw power. In the anime we had a tag team up of Piccolo and Tien. Does that mean Tien = Piccolo? (Admittedly Tien just was a punching bag there)

Really the notion should enter Beerus’ mind that Zeno could demand another tournament on such a whim. With the stronger universes to take part too. The original one had barely any notice for it. What if the super dragonballs had just been used. Doubt Zeno would’ve waited a year. That’s incentive enough to have him and Whis train all those who fought principles of god Ki

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm The trouble with comparing him to 17 in the manga is we only know 17 is for sure stronger than SS2 so that really doesn't help us much in narrowing down where Piccolo “stops”
Eh. Goku says he’s “about as strong as we are” after the ToP. It’s hard to square that up with anything lower than at least Super Saiyan God given that wasn’t the kind of thing said about Super Saiyan 3-equivalent Trunks (quite the opposite even) the previous arc.

Goku also treats 3 to God as being a major jump against both Toppo and Merus, so it doesn’t seem like it’s a close enough level to warrant an “about as strong” comment.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm Also combo and synchronicity doesn’t necessarily equate to incredible raw power. In the anime we had a tag team up of Piccolo and Tien. Does that mean Tien = Piccolo? (Admittedly Tien just was a punching bag there)
I guess you are referring to BoG here. That only happened in the anime, and not in the manga or in the movie (when they both attacked Beerus separately). The anime is usually inconsistent when it comes to unbalanced team ups. There was no such case in the manga when someone far weaker was capable of teaming up with someone far stronger (Dyspo and Toppo's failed team up against CSSB Vegeta is the prime example of this).

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 am

Cipher wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 pm
TobyS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm The trouble with comparing him to 17 in the manga is we only know 17 is for sure stronger than SS2 so that really doesn't help us much in narrowing down where Piccolo “stops”
Eh. Goku says he’s “about as strong as we are” after the ToP. It’s hard to square that up with anything lower than at least Super Saiyan God given that wasn’t the kind of thing said about Super Saiyan 3-equivalent Trunks (quite the opposite even) the previous arc.

Goku also treats 3 to God as being a major jump against both Toppo and Merus, so it doesn’t seem like it’s a close enough level to warrant an “about as strong” comment.
This has come up before but he has no feats making him SSG and certainly not blue in the manga.

He's triod with piccolo and Gohan (pre kefla) a couple of times, he doesn't beat Dyspo before roshi can beat khersal and Dyspo is blown away by vegeta just going blue.

There's also a power gap between Goku and Vegeta themselves. So I take his statement to mean he's about as strong as the dragon team collectively. Gohan stalemates a fusion and is still said to be weaker than blue Goku.

In the next arc Gohan is explicitly the strongest on earth and I think piccolo is stronger to than 17 but still not blue tier himself.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:50 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm Wouldn’t take his plan to blow himself up to stop Moro as anything serious. He was the last one standing and had to do something. A better to go out swinging situation.
Piccolo rarely, if ever, makes idle threats. He also never mentions that his attack will be useless. If Piccolo believes that his attack will hurt Moro, I'm going to believe Piccolo. Do I think the attack would have killed Moro? No. Do I even think it would have caused Moro a bad day? Not really, other than obliterating his nearby Saiyan food sources. But seeing as how #17 and #18 combined for an attack that scorched Moro's chestplate a bit, I can see an all out desperation attack from Piccolo causing even more damage. We've seen Piccolo amp his ki leagues above his current level at least twice in the anime. He could possibly be capable of that in the manga as well seeing as how he naturally gets a big multiplication amp from the SBC. Piccolo knows Moro is above two CSSB level fighters who are stronger than they've ever been. He somehow even senses Vegeta's power (possibly a hint to his proximity to god level, though probably not since it's inconsistent). So if he thinks his attack will do anything at all to Moro, that attack has to be SSB level at minimum. Moro's barrier allegedly increases the potency of Piccolo's blast by containing all of the destruction within. So there's also that. And also keep in mind that baseline SSB in this arc is leagues above SSB from RoF which was likely a decent ways above SSG from BoG.
Also combo and synchronicity doesn’t necessarily equate to incredible raw power. In the anime we had a tag team up of Piccolo and Tien. Does that mean Tien = Piccolo? (Admittedly Tien just was a punching bag there)
When did they ever team up?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-