Do you think the Anime should keep its own version of ‘Hakai’ once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Do you think the Anime should keep its own version of ‘Hakai’ once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:22 am

What do you think???

Simple question. Do you think the Anime (once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc) should keep its own flashy version of Hakai that Toppo used during the ToP aswell as Beerus used against Zamasu and the Ghost..

Or.. Do you think they should follow the Manga and have Vegeta learn the version that makes objects explode and leave a powerful after blast once it’s “erased from existence”.....?!

I think the Anime should continue using ITS OWN already established version of Hakai!

That version was already perfect on its own and needs no saving.!

In fact, the Anime’s version IS a true erasure.. As the flashy light balls simply fade away afterwards and vanish! Leaving... NOTHING!

While the Manga’s (inferior) version always leaves sand... (Something!)

Another reason for why they should change this is because frankly it wouldn’t make sense for the average Anime viewer if they changed something so big. It would feel really forced and out of order. You can’t suddenly change something as big as this. Going from an already perfect and cool version of UI (that already completely erases you), to a totally different version that basically does the same thing!

What do you think?

Jack Bz
Regular

Re: Do you think the Anime should keep its own version of ‘Hakai’ once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc?

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:07 am

I much prefer the aesthetic of something turning into sand over the cheap CGI looking effects that the anime uses. The cgi in general is something I can't stand about the anime, especially ultra instinct's aura compared to the crispness of the manga (the auras in the Broly movie looked wonderful though). This might be a budget/effort problem as opposed to fundamental aesthetics though, I'm sure people fading into light could look better than how it does there.

Also, it should be noted that the manga didn't invent the sand thing. Beerus actually does it to this egg in this BoG trailer. The anime then has a similar motion to that used on that egg, but instead wipes out half a planet in an explosive manner similar to hakai in the most recent manga chapters

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Do you think the Anime should keep its own version of ‘Hakai’ once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc?

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 am

It depends on how much more will we learn of non-explosive hakai. Looks like the focus is going to be on the more controllable hakai, and how I see it, seems to be hakai but toned a bit down in order to have some fun, sort of speak, and not just end the game immediately. This could be easily changed in the future, though.

Anime hakai looks like true erasure, even the "sand" gets erased, so it should remain as the ultimate hakai and unless they inform us that the sand is somehow "relevant" in a way (maybe there's even a degree of hakai Beerus doesn't even have = 'sandless hakai'), they should keep their artistic choice.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 am

The new concepts about Hakai that are being presented in the current arc are the result of the fact that this power is now an important plot point and apparently the path of one of the main characters in the series.

So I can definitely see the anime also trying to expand this concept if Granolah is adapted since I believe it will take more to make this technique more unique. The anime has the advantage of having already shown some other gimmicks about the technique that have not been expanded (Toppo's Hakai barrier around the body and Ki Blast-shaped Hakai, although the latter can be overcome simply with raw power).

And Hakai in the manga also has two ways to use it. The one that turns the target into sand and the explosive one that erases the target from existence

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:48 pm

I honestly like all variants of Hakai, to be honest, but my favorite is where the victim is slowly disintegrated, leaving nothing behind, as he's turned into something akin to energy. Like what happened to Zamasu, basically.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 pm

I say keep it as a different version of Hakai. I looked through the uses in the manga and it's never been the explosion thing until the Granolah arc

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:44 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:22 am What do you think???

Simple question. Do you think the Anime (once it returns and adapts the Granolah Arc) should keep its own flashy version of Hakai that Toppo used during the ToP aswell as Beerus used against Zamasu and the Ghost..

Or.. Do you think they should follow the Manga and have Vegeta learn the version that makes objects explode and leave a powerful after blast once it’s “erased from existence”.....?!

I think the Anime should continue using ITS OWN already established version of Hakai!

In fact, the Anime’s version IS a true erasure.. As the flashy light balls simply fade away afterwards and vanish! Leaving... NOTHING!

Another reason for why they should change this is because frankly it wouldn’t make sense for the average Anime viewer if they changed something so big. It would feel really forced and out of order. You can’t suddenly change something as big as this. Going from an already perfect and cool version of UI (that already completely erases you), to a totally different version that basically does the same thing!

What do you think?
I’d rather have it be as faithful to the manga as possible with exceptions because it’s anime. Like I don’t want to see SSGSS Kaioken return or that god forsaken SSGSS Evolution.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm

They should stick with their guns for sure.

They created an interesting miniature expansion of what Hakai is and represents, essentially being a diluted version of Zeno's ability to erase anything. It's fitting that the Gods of Destruction have the most destructive ability of all that's similar to the most destructive entity in the entire DB franchise: total erasure.

No matter is left behind, even one's soul is destroyed, meaning you don't go to the afterlife and can't be revived by normal means.

And I really liked how it was expanded by showing that said erasure also applied to Ki; God of Destruction Toppo gaining an actual shield that prevented weaker Ki from even touching him was extremely neat. There's also the fact that Hakai is just way cooler when used in the anime thanks to the colouration and impact of voice-acting.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm

I personally don't like the way Hakai was handled in the anime because it seems incoherent - at one moment it vaporizes things into non-existence, in another it doesn't (Freeza). In the manga, it has been consistently portrayed as complete, no limit erasure, precluding any potential variations or limitations we may become aware of in the current arc. Even when it failed (Merged Zamasu), it was because Goku couldn't use it fast enough, or expand it enough, not because it was lacking in power or functioned differently.

That being said, I don't want the anime to simply ditch its continuity in favor of the manga's. If it comes back and the anime version continues to be used, then I hope they expand on the apparent types of Hakai moves and retroactively explain away why some attacks could reduce things to nothing and others either didn't, like the ones against Freeza, or could be destroyed and countered, as in the battle against Vegeta.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm I personally don't like the way Hakai was handled in the anime because it seems incoherent - at one moment it vaporizes things into non-existence, in another it doesn't (Freeza). In the manga, it has been consistently portrayed as complete, no limit erasure, precluding any potential variations or limitations we may become aware of in the current arc. Even when it failed (Merged Zamasu), it was because Goku couldn't use it fast enough, or expand it enough, not because it was lacking in power or functioned differently.

That being said, I don't want the anime to simply ditch its continuity in favor of the manga's. If it comes back and the anime version continues to be used, then I hope they expand on the apparent types of Hakai moves and retroactively explain away why some attacks could reduce things to nothing and others either didn't, like the ones against Freeza, or could be destroyed and countered, as in the battle against Vegeta.
Power levels, obviously; that, and intent to destroy.

Toppo explicitly talks about the rules of the Tournament of Power and how he could easily destroy Freeza but can't because of the rules. So Toppo uses the power needed to devastate his opponents but not erase them.

As far as pre-tournament Freeza and Vegeta's attacks go, it's mainly power levels. A large enough sheer amount of power and willpower can resist the Hakai, though it requires an extraordinarily huge amount compared to the amount of energy put into the Hakai.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm
Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm I personally don't like the way Hakai was handled in the anime because it seems incoherent - at one moment it vaporizes things into non-existence, in another it doesn't (Freeza). In the manga, it has been consistently portrayed as complete, no limit erasure, precluding any potential variations or limitations we may become aware of in the current arc. Even when it failed (Merged Zamasu), it was because Goku couldn't use it fast enough, or expand it enough, not because it was lacking in power or functioned differently.

Toppo explicitly talks about the rules of the Tournament of Power and how he could easily destroy Freeza but can't because of the rules. So Toppo uses the power needed to devastate his opponents but not erase them.

As far as pre-tournament Freeza and Vegeta's attacks go, it's mainly power levels. A large enough sheer amount of power and willpower can resist the Hakai, though it requires an extraordinarily huge amount compared to the amount of energy put into the Hakai.
Goku was resisting the Hakai in his base form, so while battle powers may play a part, the idea clearly wasn't conveyed accurately, especially when in the manga Goku pulls off successful erasure on a much stronger opponent in the form of merged Zamasu. In the anime, the move failing to erase a weaker opponent without so much as a handwaved explanation really cheapens the status the move should have.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 pm
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm

Goku was resisting the Hakai in his base form, so while battle powers may play a part, the idea clearly wasn't conveyed accurately, especially when in the manga Goku pulls off successful erasure on a much stronger opponent in the form of merged Zamasu. In the anime, the move failing to erase a weaker opponent without so much as a handwaved explanation really cheapens the status the move should have.
To be fair, Golden Freeza had no problem physically resisting the Hakai and only struggled in controlling it down. Also, it was explicitly a small amount.

The actual tournament shows things off better, and I just like the presentation and mechanics of it in the anime better. It looks cooler seeing pure disintegration and a strong dark and purple motif to this energy.

I also like how Hakai isn't just a technique, but an entire type of godly Ki in and of itself exclusive to Gods of Destruction and those who train in utilizing it.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

What do you think?
I prefer anime in general ... for the simple fact that they managed to deepen the concept of hakai and its use was better taken care of than god ki

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

What do you think?
I prefer anime in general ... for the simple fact that they managed to deepen the concept of hakai and its use was better taken care of than god ki
Your image is not showing up at all. Check again.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:24 pm

fixed

under your words in the manga it would also be inconsistent when beerus used the hakai on vegeta and didn't vaporize it ...

it is assumed that the user can control the pressure of the same .. if it is too weak it will not kill the person