Is Beerus what Goku will eventually become?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Is Beerus what Goku will eventually become?

Post by Peach » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 am

And by that, i mean. Someone so incredibly strong, that he's insanely bored and has no one to challenge him. Where he's forced to train a true rival.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Beerus what Goku will eventually become?

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:14 am

That has been a major shade of Goku's character since the end of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Forget rivals, he'll even let arch-enemies who have just nearly killed him and are swearing revenge out to pasture if it's what he thinks is one of his last avenues to a challenge.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:30 am

Peach wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 am And by that, i mean. Someone so incredibly strong, that he's insanely bored and has no one to challenge him. Where he's forced to train a true rival.
That's pretty much what he does with Uub, if you think about it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:33 am

He'll always have Vegeta, so no.

He also has the quality of making others improve themselves, Vegeta would've never gotten as far if Goku had died years ago (on Earth, on Namek, vs Cell, vs Zamasu, etc, even if he died vs Moro, I doubt Vegeta would be trying to learn hakai, what is driving this is surpassing UI Goku).
Same goes for Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Hit, and if they ever come back, Jiren and Broly also should return with greater power than before, and the latter has a huge potential.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:04 am

Well, it's a recurring theme in the series that there will always be someone stronger out there. The only way this will not happen anymore is if he becomes as strong as Zen-oh, which I honestly find quite difficult (and if that is the case, the series would probably continue to introduce even stronger enemies, if that is possible).

Anyway, he has Vegeta, who will always be training and is probably one of the only ones who can keep catching him, and eventually Uub, who has great potential. And in the middle of that we’ll probably see him spare some strong villains in the hope that he can face them again, too

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am

It's the problem with escalating the stakes like Toriyama has. Goku will eventually wind up unopposed sans Zeno. Vegeta has the fortune of being born with the "no limits" potential of the Saiyans but he's always living in Goku's shadow, much to the prince's own chagrin. But if it's what Goku wants to meet yet again as he continues pushing himself then let him deal with the tedium.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am

Are you saying that he will also become a lazy asshole who destroys entire worlds for petty reasons?

Oh wait, he already is. At least the first part.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:48 pm

At first I thought you were gonna say will he become a Hakaishin, that would be a no. :lol: I agree with your post. In fact, that is pretty much what happened to Goku after he killed Kid Buu before the Super era came along. He grew bored and drifted from his friends until Uub, who represented a new challenge, came along. Goku represented the same thing to Beerus when they first met. Such is the curse of having only one goal in life. When you've finally become the best, what else is there to do?

It makes me wonder, what does Goku truly value most? Growing in strength or meeting new competition? I believe Goku values both, but growing in strength will eventually have a cap whereas the excitement of stronger opponents is neverending.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 pm

When he was dead there was to threat, and yet he still improved to higher transformations during that period, even without "serious challenges".

There was no appearant threat at the beginning of BOG neither, as Buu was probably by far the biggest villain Universe 7 could ever have encountered by that stage. There was no bigger evil imaginable and that threat was now gone for good. So why should he still train in the first place?
Yet he did.
Goku never completely stopped training, so no, i think he will always seek to self improve.

When Goku meets someone who is incredibly strong, he might become intrigued to train the guy, like with Uub.
And climb to new heights with him along the way if possible.
But Goku would have kept training anyway. Even if he hadn't encountered Uub.
It doesn't fit his character to become such as lazy-ass cat like Beerus in absence of a real challenge.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:04 am Well, it's a recurring theme in the series that there will always be someone stronger out there. The only way this will not happen anymore is if he becomes as strong as Zen-oh, which I honestly find quite difficult (and if that is the case, the series would probably continue to introduce even stronger enemies, if that is possible).

Anyway, he has Vegeta, who will always be training and is probably one of the only ones who can keep catching him, and eventually Uub, who has great potential. And in the middle of that we’ll probably see him spare some strong villains in the hope that he can face them again, too
Why are you ignoring/forgetting Broly here???

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am Are you saying that he will also become a lazy asshole who destroys entire worlds for petty reasons?

Goku is not lazy, nor an asshole, nor is willing to directly destroy a world by himself. Your entire post is 100% wrong, from beginning to end. Congratulations.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:31 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am Are you saying that he will also become a lazy asshole who destroys entire worlds for petty reasons?

Goku is not lazy, nor an asshole, nor is willing to directly destroy a world by himself. Your entire post is 100% wrong, from beginning to end. Congratulations.
Goku has definitely been an asshole on many occasions. Re-read how he tries to motivate Gohan during the battle against Vegeta. Goku's pretty mean when he's under stress.

And while he isn't willing to destroy planets right now, he's already been shown to be ambivalent to the fate of the galaxy so long as there's a good fight in it for him.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:59 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm Why are you ignoring/forgetting Broly here???
I mean, Goku himself doesn't seem to remember Broly in the previous chapter ...

Anyway it is difficult to take antagonists into account because of the nature of Dragon Ball. Unless they switch sides and become part of the Dragon team, they are unlikely to appear again (let alone being able to keep up with Goku's strength level in each arc).They are pretty much left behind in the next arc

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:24 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm

You're a funny guy, anything else you'd like to add?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am

I think he will develop angel powers and become a mentor type character, but not hakai, that will be Vegeta

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 am

Eventually? The two are already similar enough as can be, the only difference is that Beerus is a little more responsible about his duties than Goku.

A more fitting question IMO is if Zen-O is what Goku will become: an all-powerful but lonely individual who can wipe out universes but bring them back easily.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheQuestioner

Post by TheQuestioner » Sat May 29, 2021 3:02 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 am Eventually? The two are already similar enough as can be, the only difference is that Beerus is a little more responsible about his duties than Goku.
I don't really view Beerus as more responsible than even DBS Goku. He has made... Errors but Beerus is on a whole another level of irresponsible. Even though he has already seen what Zeno might do on numerous occasions, including the ToP which canonically happened months ago, he has done jack to improve the mortal ranking. Forget Shin, he just sat around while a bunch of villains wiped out an uncountable number of planets even though he should have stopped them. Even now, he did absolutely nothing significant in the Moro Saga. Ironically, if it weren't for the unintentional consequences the actions of an incompetent and stupid mortal had, he would have been wiped out months ago.

As for the topic itself, I don't think so. I don't think Goku would ever become that much of a lazy asshole, realistically speaking.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:14 am

Peach wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 am And by that, i mean. Someone so incredibly strong, that he's insanely bored and has no one to challenge him. Where he's forced to train a true rival.
I liked your OP so much that I screenshotted it!😲☝️👍

Perfectly put.

Beerus = already completed. All of his potential is already fully actualized. Goku and Vegeta have yet to reach their limit!