Have the following fighters surpassed SSG Goku from BoG?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Have the following fighters surpassed SSG Goku from BoG?

Post by Thani » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:07 am
Thani wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:06 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm Kale easily bypasses SSB Goku’s kamehameha in her Legendary Super Saiyan form in the anime.
To be fair, she then proceeded to only get even with Goku's SSG, while in a controled (if not stronger) version of her Legendary Super Saiyan form.

So I think the first feat may be either an outlier or another case of Goku holding back his power.
That was her SS2 form, wasn’t it? Her LSS form was actually her strongest and able to catch Jiren’s attention.
So, when she achieved her "SSj2" (as I think it wasn't named at all in the anime), it was said that Kale's power didn't regress at all, but rather that she has all of it under control. Than Tien went on to say that her ki became even greater. Basically Kale's SS2 is more of a "Legendary Super Saiyan 2" eRGWE than the regular variant. I think it's rather neat that, in this regard, she's actually canon!Broly's senior haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObgaUrJWeE

Good lord I need them to interact some day.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:03 pm

I interpret what Tien said in the sense that Kale managed to upgrade her power in comparison to her controlled SS form, thus achieving a step further in that regard. It would only make sense in that light, since this new form is weaker than SSG and LSS is stronger than SSB.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:47 pm

Unlike the anime, manga Goku never absorbed the power of SSJG into his lower forms, so SSJG power is still synonym with the form. This automatically excludes Freeza (Who was inferior in power to SSJ Caulifla) and Base Vegeta.

Ditto for Frost, SSJ Cabba and Magetta; all are equal to SSJ1 Vegeta at best.

SSJ Kale easily smacked Golden Freeza and PSSJB Goku around, so she's easily. Kefla should logically be ever stronger, but she's dead even with Gohan who's not quite as strong as his father. Still most likely stronger than Super Saiyan God, however.

#17 is said to be as strong as ToP Goku and Vegeta and had the feats to back it up (Saving Freeza from Jiren and easily smacking around 7-3 with Moro's powers). #18's power is a mystery, but being able to sync her moves with her brother's would suggest they are comparable in power and speed.

Gohan is said to be Earth's strongest after when Goku and Vegeta aren't around, so he's stronger than the already PSSJB level #17. Saganbo in turn is stronger than everyone on Earth before Goku and Vegeta arrived.

I'm not so sure about Piccolo, but I'm willing to bet he's close to Gohan since he can sync up their moves as well.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Just my .02, but from the way I read the manga, the following are all the characters who have surpassed SSG Goku from the film/the beginning of Super (not bothering to list every God of Destruction and angel). It's not a huge roster:

(Also not bothering to list Goku and Vegeta as users of SSG and SSB themselves.)

Resurrection "F":
Freeza (who I think even by the ToP only eclipses SSG in his Golden form; at the very least we have nothing to imply anything else might be the case)

U6:
Hit (full power; probably at all points by the time the ToP rolls around, where he's said to have gotten a good deal stronger in the traditional sense, and had Goku's god forms as a target)

Future Trunks:
Black
Fused Zamasu
Vegetto (but I'd guess only in Blue)

ToP:
Toppo
Jiren
Kale
Kefla
Gohan

Broly:
Broly. (This one requires some speculation, but I think it's a reading you can arrive at based on Broly defeating Super Saiyan God Goku.)
Gogeta (...in regular Super Saiyan if you take everything at face value; which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but sure does look cool)

Moro:
Boo (after having the Grand Kaioshin's memories restored; unclear if he keeps the power-up after the memories dissipate, but no one ever says he doesn't?)
Moro (from the end of his first fight with Goku and Vegeta onward, most likely)
Saganbo juiced up on Moro energy

And that's it. I know Moro-arc Piccolo is much debated for his team-ups with Gohan (see that whole other thread), but I'd need more than it gives us to make that call.

EDIT-- Surprised to see so many people leave off Boo. Is the thought just that Moro is still below SSG at that point, leaving him helpless to a weaker-than-SSG Boo without the aid of his power-draining magic? Even if he's weaker through most of his initial fight with Vegeta and making up the difference through his abilities, he still takes direct blows from SSG 'geets, and the Boo fight is on the other side of absorbing all of Goku and Vegeta's power once. Goku and Vegeta are also shocked by Boo's power-up in the fight.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm EDIT-- Surprised to see so many people leave off Boo. Is the thought just that Moro is still below SSG at that point, leaving him helpless to a weaker-than-SSG Boo without the aid of his power-draining magic? Even if he's weaker through most of his initial fight with Vegeta and making up the difference through his abilities, he still takes direct blows from SSG 'geets, and the Boo fight is on the other side of absorbing all of Goku and Vegeta's power once. Goku and Vegeta are also shocked by Boo's power-up in the fight.
I imagine people just forgot about Boo. That fight seems to clearly read that Boo is somewhere above SSG level for the reasons you mention.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:29 am

BWri wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 pm
Cipher wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm EDIT-- Surprised to see so many people leave off Boo. Is the thought just that Moro is still below SSG at that point, leaving him helpless to a weaker-than-SSG Boo without the aid of his power-draining magic? Even if he's weaker through most of his initial fight with Vegeta and making up the difference through his abilities, he still takes direct blows from SSG 'geets, and the Boo fight is on the other side of absorbing all of Goku and Vegeta's power once. Goku and Vegeta are also shocked by Boo's power-up in the fight.
I imagine people just forgot about Boo. That fight seems to clearly read that Boo is somewhere above SSG level for the reasons you mention.
Agreed, Moro shouldn't be necessarily weaker than SSG in his revigorated state, since he absorbed Goku AND Vegeta's life force (how that didn't make him twice as strong as SSB is a mystery).

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 am

I'm going by the manga for my list, and in that Goku didn't absorb Super Saiyan God so we're already starting out pretty low. Nobody from the RoF and U6 arcs got to SSJG Goku level except the ones shown capable of fighting his God or Blue forms, like full power Hit and Golden Freeza. The others like SSJ Cabba, Magetta, and 4th Form Frost were Super Saiyan 1 level at best.

ToP:
Kale - She was shown, at her peak, to be able to toss CSSB Goku and Golden Freeza, so she's definitely above BoG Goku.
SSJ2 Caulifla - Well, she didn't exist in the manga, but even if she did, she wouldn't have gotten near BoG Goku level. Goku and Vegeta didn't grow several times stronger in the manga at this point, unlike the anime.
Kefla - She was a league above Kale, so yeah, she'd fold BoG Goku.
Ultimate Gohan - Yes, he was equal to Kefla.

Moro Arc:
#17 - He showed himself capable of trashing Seven-Three with Moro's power, which Vegeta said required Super Saiyan Blue to do, so he would have to be.
#18 - She was able to perform on the same level as 17, so I guess she must have gotten a massive boost after the Tournament of Power.
Ultimate Gohan - Yep, he was deemed Earth's strongest fighter with Goku and Vegeta off-world, which would put him above 17.
Piccolo - Yeah, he's in a similar situation as 18 where he was able to perform along with Gohan after the 2 months of training, so I can't find a reason not to rank him in the general Blue tier.
Saganbo - Prior to receiving some of Moro's power on Earth, I don't think so. He was only able to punch SSJ3 Goku, but Goku was caught off-guard due to being in Super Saiyan God a moment prior, so I'm not sure it counts for much. But after getting Moro's power on Earth, he could body Gohan, Piccolo, 17, and 18 together...definitely Blue tier.

None of the humans, Goten, Trunks, Caulifla, Cabba, or even Trunks have reached BoG Goku level yet either.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:03 pm

It's impossible to say, power scaling is completely broken in Dragon Ball, it's just not something Toriyama seems to care about.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm Kale easily bypasses SSB Goku’s kamehameha in her Legendary Super Saiyan form in the anime.
To be fair, she then proceeded to only get even with Goku's SSG, while in a controled (if not stronger) version of her Legendary Super Saiyan form.

So I think the first feat may be either an outlier or another case of Goku holding back his power.
It's confirmed Goku was holding back.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:39 pm

He had no reason to hold back. If that was his intent he could have used SSG.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 pm

And yet he used Blue for his match with Krillin as well. Goku just likes the form.

It's a fact Goku didn't go full power until his first fight with Jiren. Even on the same Kale episode he said he was only going to use a little more power when turning Blue from SS2.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 am

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm
And yet he used Blue for his match with Krillin as well. Goku just likes the form.

It's a fact Goku didn't go full power until his first fight with Jiren. Even on the same Kale episode he said he was only going to use a little more power when turning Blue from SS2.
That was a test to Krillin’s determination. It has a totally different context. Using SSB without any need in a tournament he has to save energy would be dumb. “Using a little more power” is an euphemism. That’s a common line Toei likes to use with Goku.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 am
ZombieVito wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm

That was a test to Krillin’s determination. It has a totally different context. Using SSB without any need in a tournament he has to save energy would be dumb. “Using a little more power” is an euphemism. That’s a common line Toei likes to use with Goku.
But that's the thing. The scene NEEDS Goku to use SSB, otherwise Kale's moment wouldn't be as powerful. That's all the writer for the episode cared about, he didn't think that deep. It was just aimed to be a cool scene.

Later on it was basically explained as Goku holding back, since even his SSG is enough to match an even stronger Kale.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 am

Only if you believe that Kale got stronger than her berserker form, which would be just an inconsistency. In her first rampage, Toppo didn’t feel he could take her, that’s why Jiren stepped in. That wouldn’t make sense, if she wasn’t at least stronger than SSB, like the scene suggests.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 01, 2021 12:29 pm

It was flat out stated in episode 109 that Goku will use his full power for the first time on the ToP.

It's an undeniable fact he was holding back against anyone else before that episode.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm

I'll go ahead and chime in too. I'll stick strictly to the manga in which there's no Saiyan Beyond God.

RoF:
Nope - Final Form Frieza
Nope - Base Vegeta

U6 Arc:
Nope - Final Form Frost
Nope - SSJ Cabba
Nope - Magetta

FT Arc:
Post zenkai, yes - SSJ Black (after Zamasu healed him he gave SSB Vegeta a good fight, mostly dominating him)
Not sure, probably no - Zamasu (future. He says he's weaker than the others but uses his magic to defeat Goku. Weirdly, Goku is SSB in one panel and apparently SSJ in the next without any panel showing the transition and no mention of him doing this either. I guess he depowered himself off panel, but then he loses the fight without transforming to a stronger form? Was this a late stage correction? I wasn't aware, but this is probably the oddest fight in the manga. After a zenkai, or not, zenkais are weird now, Goku is able to easily defeat Zamasu in SSG, but he's a lot stronger than he was in BoG.)
Nope - SSJ2 Trunks
Nope - SSJ3 Goku

Pre-ToP:
Maybe - SSJ3 Goku
Maybe - Android 17

ToP:
Yes - Kale
No, but maybe - SSJ2 Caulifla (her big ki blast on Frieza did a gargantuan amount of damage to the ToP arena)
Yes - Kefla
Yes - Ultimate Gohan

Moro Arc:
Yes - #17
Yes - #18
Yes - Ultimate Gohan
Yes - Piccolo
100% - Saganbo
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 01, 2021 6:19 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:29 pm It was flat out stated in episode 109 that Goku will use his full power for the first time on the ToP.

It's an undeniable fact he was holding back against anyone else before that episode.
If by full power, you mean everything he could do, you are right. He didn’t give his all against Kale. But I don’t buy that he was using less than his regular SSB power against her.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 pm

While we all know it didn't make sense like at all, that was what the events and commentary support. Kale got stronger when she controlled her berserk form, which is a common thing in DB(SS grade 4, Shin Golden Freeza, CSSB), according to the peanut gallery, I think it was Tenshinhan saying it. And how things unfold later corroborate Tenshinhan's comment.

Does it make sense to have blue Goku struggle with her and later beat a stronger Kale with a weaker form while tired and fighting Caulifla too? Hell no, but the anime isn't quite ruled by congruency, so better take it as it is. The writers sure didn't put much thought behind it, why should we?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:19 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:29 pm It was flat out stated in episode 109 that Goku will use his full power for the first time on the ToP.

If by full power, you mean everything he could do, you are right. He didn’t give his all against Kale. But I don’t buy that he was using less than his regular SSB power against her.
Later fights say otherwise.

Kale at her strongest isn't stronger than Super Saiyan God.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 pm

BWri wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm Not sure, probably no - Zamasu (future. He says he's weaker than the others but uses his magic to defeat Goku. Weirdly, Goku is SSB in one panel and apparently SSJ in the next without any panel showing the transition and no mention of him doing this either. I guess he depowered himself off panel, but then he loses the fight without transforming to a stronger form? Was this a late stage correction? I wasn't aware, but this is probably the oddest fight in the manga. After a zenkai, or not, zenkais are weird now, Goku is able to easily defeat Zamasu in SSG, but he's a lot stronger than he was in BoG.)
Goku comments at one point that Trunks alone could beat Zamasu, so that one seems pretty clear.

Re: above: Good luck making heads or tails of anime Kale.