How would you feel about Vegeta getting a new form in the next chapters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: How would you feel about Vegeta getting a new form in the next chapters?

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:31 am I doubt that they will introduce a new recolor for Vegeta in a black and white manga. And I cannot think of a single way to make an unique looking form for Vegeta which works in the manga, besides giving him either Broly’s rage form or Super Saiyan 4. But I think that Toyotaro gave him an earring precisely because there won’t be any other visual clue to Vegeta’s newly acquired destruction skill.
100% agree with this post

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:31 am I doubt that they will introduce a new recolor for Vegeta in a black and white manga. And I cannot think of a single way to make an unique looking form for Vegeta which works in the manga, besides giving him either Broly’s rage form or Super Saiyan 4. But I think that Toyotaro gave him an earring precisely because there won’t be any other visual clue to Vegeta’s newly acquired destruction skill.
Exactly. When talking about transformations in the manga, you have to look at them in the context manga, which, in its original form, is black and white. The transformation must be identifiable through black and white panels, so we can't just say "it would be purple instead of blue" and leave it at that when both of those would just be grey. So what can be done?

Vegeta already has forms with black, white and grey hair, namely base, SS1/SS2 and SSG/SSB respectively, and his hairstyle never seems to change, so that's probably all we're gonna get there.

Another identifier is the style of the eyes. Base is pure black, SS1, SS2 and SSB is white, and SSG is white with pupils (UI is also this).

If you set up a table with the two types of identifiers, you will find some unused combinations: Black hair with white eyes, white hair with black eyes, and grey hair with black eyes. Black hair and eyes with pupils is also an unused combination unless you count UI Sign (or Broly's rage form, which is probably even more like it).

So there are a few options. Here's what I think about them:
Black hair, white eyes - This one could be nice, I think, but I don't think it'd fit as a form Vegeta would gain through GoD training. It'd be a nice look to give to a powerup that's similar in nature to Ultimate Gohan, though.
White hair, black eyes - This one would probably just look odd. It reminds me of the green-haired look Vegeta had for a second while transforming in DBS: Broly, though, for what that's worth.
Grey hair, black eyes - I don't think that'd be a good-looking combination at all.

In short, none of these combinations would be good fits here (in my opinion), and they have to do something else. And the simplest "something else" they can do is to go minimalist and just not introduce another transformation. The earring is enough to represent Vegeta's growth.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pmSo there are a few options. Here's what I think about them:
Black hair, white eyes - This one could be nice, I think, but I don't think it'd fit as a form Vegeta would gain through GoD training. It'd be a nice look to give to a powerup that's similar in nature to Ultimate Gohan, though.
White hair, black eyes - This one would probably just look odd. It reminds me of the green-haired look Vegeta had for a second while transforming in DBS: Broly, though, for what that's worth.
Grey hair, black eyes - I don't think that'd be a good-looking combination at all.

In short, none of these combinations would be good fits here (in my opinion), and they have to do something else. And the simplest "something else" they can do is to go minimalist and just not introduce another transformation. The earring is enough to represent Vegeta's growth.
Good analysis. I would also point out that in the SSG state, Vegeta looks younger so even without counting his eyes and hair, he already has a distinct look. The aura is also different compared to other forms.

Btw, following this line, I also believe the aura could be included as an option. When introducing the powered up version of SSB, the aura was the only thing that Toyotaro changed (with the characters specifically pointing out how his aura had completely changed). But at this point I wonder how many different styles of aura Toyotaro can create without it becoming a pain in the ass to draw or having too much details to make it look distinctive.

However, I consider the earring more as a subtle change in his look (following what has already been done in the Moro arc with the symbols of the Galactic Patrol) and as a way to solidify the Vegeta/Beerus relationship than necessarily something to differentiate this version of Vegeta when he uses Hakai, but it's a fair argument I guess

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

I don't want a new form, I think we have enough. I'd rather Toyo/Tori focus on giving them new techniques and fighting styles, exploring Dragon Ball lore, and finding ways to make other characters like Piccolo relevant again.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:26 pm

I think, if there's going to be some change, the subtle changes Alruneia talks about, could work. Base form with different eyes. But I wouldn't mind if it ends up being SSBE with an earring. Like I said, I want Hakaishin Ikari Vegeta.

I have a silly theory, but maybe there's a trend here, first, for god ki they had to contain their energy within, prevent it from spilling over in a superficial way like the SS forms do, later to perfect this, they had to contain it even deeper, preventing an aura, thus being able to use the full capacity of that power (UI also is auraless, while Sign isn't), so now maybe they have to keep going further this way, to prevent the next-in-line change in appearence: the hair. All the power contained within the eyes, which now are of a different color.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm
Alruneia wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pm <snip>
Good analysis. I would also point out that in the SSG state, Vegeta looks younger so even without counting his eyes and hair, he already has a distinct look. The aura is also different compared to other forms.

Btw, following this line, I also believe the aura could be included as an option. When introducing the powered up version of SSB, the aura was the only thing that Toyotaro changed (with the characters specifically pointing out how his aura had completely changed). But at this point I wonder how many different styles of aura Toyotaro can create without it becoming a pain in the ass to draw or having too much details to make it look distinctive.
I originally meant to mention both SSG's physique and SSB's auras, but I figured I was adding too much clutter to the post, so I dropped them. It is true though. But like you say, Toyotaro shows SSB being powered up by changing its aura (it's had like four auras over the course of the series when you include the auraless version). Based on that, it wouldn't be possible to give Vegeta a new form by only changing the aura again, because that would be interpreted as just another new version of SSB. Unless you consider Vegeta's current Blue to be its own form in the way that its anime counterpart is, and you wanna make a second evolved form and call it SSBEE or something. Super Saiyan Blue Evolved Evolved. It's the bee's knees.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link