Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by ZombieVito » Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm

Super Saiyan God wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 pm I think movie would set after granolah arc and after 2-3 months of movie released anime would continue from broly arc, then moro and granolah. And re telling about movie on 2022 so we can understand a lot of things more clear from broly saga, moro saga and granolah saga.
I do hope Broly and this movie get retold. I would hate for the anime to feel incomplete like the manga feels when it skipped RoF and Broly.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm
Super Saiyan God wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 pm I think movie would set after granolah arc and after 2-3 months of movie released anime would continue from broly arc, then moro and granolah. And re telling about movie on 2022 so we can understand a lot of things more clear from broly saga, moro saga and granolah saga.
I do hope Broly and this movie get retold. I would hate for the anime to feel incomplete like the manga feels when it skipped RoF and Broly.
Same here. That's the biggest misstep with the manga. I do hope that gets fixed one day.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed May 12, 2021 3:54 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm I do hope Broly and this movie get retold. I would hate for the anime to feel incomplete like the manga feels when it skipped RoF and Broly.
I strongly disagree, I think the movie retellings at the beginning of Super made those stories worse, IMO. The movies were great (IMO) and we’ll paced as movies, and the anime retellings kinda cheapened that.

Now, if they broadcast the movie itself split into parts (like Tree of Might was) then that would serve the same purpose without sacrificing pacing and quality.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Noah » Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 pm
Noah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:38 pmThey actually survived and live on 17's animal sanctuary island. 17 got so strong from fighting with them over the years.
You shouldn't take a gag so seriously... and even if it was serious, you mean survived? Gohan just obliterated them to smithereens.
I'll credit Toyotaro for coming up with something to make #17 power boost more credible, but that's just make things worse.
It wasn't a gag scene, some of their body remained and they regenerated and live on 17's Island. 17 tamed them and they attack anyone on the island that's not a ranger.
Mate, the Cell Juniors were stronger than 50% FP SSJ Goku on the Cell Games. This Goku was stronger than the Future Trunks who killed the androids effortlessly after coming back to this timeline.

How would #17 tame little monsters that are way beyond his level? Also if we go by Cell logic, if the juniors managed to regenarate after surving Gohan attacks, they should least receive a Zenkai boost of some sort.

At this point accepting that #17 got stronger by just benching press the whole island is less silly than Toyotaro's "explanation".
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Noah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

You shouldn't take a gag so seriously... and even if it was serious, you mean survived? Gohan just obliterated them to smithereens.
I'll credit Toyotaro for coming up with something to make #17 power boost more credible, but that's just make things worse.
It wasn't a gag scene, some of their body remained and they regenerated and live on 17's Island. 17 tamed them and they attack anyone on the island that's not a ranger.
Mate, the Cell Juniors were stronger than 50% FP SSJ Goku on the Cell Games. This Goku was stronger than the Future Trunks who killed the androids effortlessly after coming back to this timeline.

How would #17 tame little monsters that are way beyond his level? Also if we go by Cell logic, if the juniors managed to regenarate after surving Gohan attacks, they should least receive a Zenkai boost of some sort.

At this point accepting that #17 got stronger by just benching press the whole island is less silly than Toyotaro's "explanation".
Not ridiculous to think that #17 got strong enough to beat the Cell Jrs first, and only then did he manage to find them. #17 had a decade to get as strong as SS3 levels of strength. Considering he had good sparring partners and had freakish genetics to begin with, it's easily one of the most believable and inoffensive power boosts in the series (definitely not comparable to something in the original series like Piccolo achieving SS Goku levels of strength in three years). It's in the anime where it's questionable.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:54 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm I do hope Broly and this movie get retold. I would hate for the anime to feel incomplete like the manga feels when it skipped RoF and Broly.
I strongly disagree, I think the movie retellings at the beginning of Super made those stories worse, IMO. The movies were great (IMO) and we’ll paced as movies, and the anime retellings kinda cheapened that.

Now, if they broadcast the movie itself split into parts (like Tree of Might was) then that would serve the same purpose without sacrificing pacing and quality.
Hard disagree. The retellings improved various mistakes the movies did so the story is better.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Noah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Well I never said power scaling in Dragon Ball was consistent, it's far from it. Toriyama, and now Toyotaro, do not seem to take the story seriously enough to bother with making it consistent. With that being said, the scene in Super with the Cell Jrs wasn't a gag, it's a part of the Dragon Ball canon now that they are alive. Make of that whatever you want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 pm

An unexpected character probably means it may be from the past and a character we know. They have captilized on Broly and Trunks. It has to be Coola, Garlic, or Bojack though it could be a movie about Bardock. The manga and even Broly have been heavily rooted in the Saiyan and Freeza Empire era and mostly centered around Freeza and his family. My bets would be on Coola, Bojack or Bardock.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 12, 2021 10:35 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:20 pmOkay sure, but I'm talking about the possibility of the anime coming back. Now you're talking about the scheduling of the movie as it relates to the manga where the manga is the only product.
It's possible the anime returns after Digimon to cover the manga arcs before the movie. I think that's unlikely though with all the current anime Toei is working on. There's a rerun of the DBS anime in Japan which will end sometime in 2023. That seems the most likely time that the anime could return since it would be a few months after the movie and some of Toei's current project would have ended. Who knows what will happen!

jonah hex

Post by jonah hex » Thu May 13, 2021 3:06 am

HeroR wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am And honestly, why do people care so much about Bulma's five years line? Like, does it change anything if she said it or not?
+1, i also don't get that... especially because there is lot more stuff that they say in that last few episodes of DBZ that don't make any sense anymore like when Goku say to uub that he is "the strongest fighter he ever fight", yeah sure, after Beerus, Golden Frieza, Hit, Goku Black, Fused Zamasu, Kale, Kefla, Toppo, Jiren, Broly, Moro and who knows how many more stronger fighters between they meet - Uub/Buu won't be "strongest fighter he fight" that is for sure. Or when Hercule say to Buu "Let's go with same strategy this time, as always. You become the challenger champion, and fight against me the Super Champion but end up losing", that would mean they already have a lot of tournaments since that one in majin buu arc.

I mean of course they will retcon a lot of stuff from that last 3 episode, it's not like they planned continuation of DB at that point with that time gap between buu arc and 28th world tournament arc with all SS Gods, Ultra Instinct, GoD, Angels, other universes....

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 13, 2021 4:43 am

It's true that people like Broly, Cooler and Janemba the most out of the movie villains...
Janemba probably being the most unique one and there is not many to begin with.
Also kinda like Bojack, as he is interesting and original design wise but has really no backstory - sure, Janemba is basically just a materialized hellspawn from all the evil energy mutating an Oni, Cooler is just a brother of Freeza who let Goku slip away and funnily enough, Broly probably has the most out of origin story and now twice.

I think bringing back Freeza was kinda fun for a later purpose of making him unvoluntary ally and an Orochimaru like antagonist that is just there to keep everyone on toes.

But bringing back Cell or other movie villains... I really hope they have something better and not spend years on making movie to bring in 30 year old ideas.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr. Slump

Post by Mr. Slump » Thu May 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Hey guys! Is it okay if I plug this little thread over here?

What non-canon characters or concepts would you like to be made canon next?viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46298&p=1702127#p1702127

What non-canon characters or concepts would you like to be made canon next?

Please reply if you’re interested in giving out your thoughts on the thread.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu May 13, 2021 7:26 pm

Ironixie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pmI have no idea where you've even gotten that idea from considering they've barely even been used besides in some minor training arc and filler episodes and a little bit of a squeeze in from a causal episode accompanied with maybe a manga appearance here and there, but they barely even touched Earthlings so I don't know what that mess was all about...

Mate, you just mentioned like five occasions where the Super anime and Toyotaro manga push Krillin and the earthlings like they are still revelant. A good concept of original DB is how the main cast was changing through the times:

Early DB: Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chaozu
Early Z: Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Gohan
Mid Z: Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo
End of Z: Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks

and that's how it should be when the plot introduce new stronger characters. We don't need to see Krillin, Tien and Yamcha fighting minions to show to the audience "Oh remember these guys? How nostalgic are they fighting together!" just move on with them already.
Also as for Sadala idea, I think the worst thing you could do is add yet even MORE Saiyan characters, Kale and Caulfia were garbage, Cabba just exists, he has some potential but wouldn't be too interesting, he's just Tarble essentially. The idea bores me...
About introducing new Saiyans I give you that as I'm kinda sick of a plot that revolves around the monkeys and Freeza, but I still think Sadala could be a good idea if developed right (which probably will not).
Yuji wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pmNot ridiculous to think that #17 got strong enough to beat the Cell Jrs first, and only then did he manage to find them. #17 had a decade to get as strong as SS3 levels of strength. Considering he had good sparring partners and had freakish genetics to begin with, it's easily one of the most believable and inoffensive power boosts in the series (definitely not comparable to something in the original series like Piccolo achieving SS Goku levels of strength in three years). It's in the anime where it's questionable.
Well, it kinda is when we know about #17 that he enjoyed more having a normal human life than being a "freak of nature". Him choosing to drive a car when he could fly to seek Goku, shows that. Is not like he had any urge of getting stronger by training. He's like 90% stronger than the people of Earth and for the job he aplied to is not like he need any more power to deal with eventual threats.
So just have #17 getting stronger by doing sit-ups, push-ups and drinking plenty of juice that is way more believable than the Cell Junior gag stuff.
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 pmWell I never said power scaling in Dragon Ball was consistent, it's far from it. Toriyama, and now Toyotaro, do not seem to take the story seriously enough to bother with making it consistent. With that being said, the scene in Super with the Cell Jrs wasn't a gag, it's a part of the Dragon Ball canon now that they are alive.
Fair point, but yeah... no. The scene you mentioned is canon to Toyotaro comic not to the main product, the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm

Toriyama's note kind of makes it seem like the character is someone we know but never expected to see back; does that mean characters like Cooler and Janemba are out the window?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 14, 2021 1:33 am

Maybe Lunch is coming back

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 14, 2021 5:06 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:33 am Maybe Lunch is coming back
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Bringing back old movie/GT characters and making them canon feels creatively bankrupt. Doing it once with Broly was fine, but not if they're going to keep doing it over and over.

There is a possibility it really is Cooler, but I don't know how they're going to have 3 Freeza-type characters around at the same time, especially since Frost is already discount Freeza, and Cooler in the old movies was another Freeza.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 pm

I could see them bringing back Cooler, but not as the main Villain (not by himself at least).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 pm

precita wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pmDoing it once with Broly was fine,
Was it, though? Four movies for the same character cannot be called "creative bankruptcy"?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Fuck creativity, make something you want to make and have fun doing it. What are they going to do, tell your mom that you're not being competitively creative enough?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf