Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Kodoshin » Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 pm
precita wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pmDoing it once with Broly was fine,
Was it, though? Four movies for the same character cannot be called "creative bankruptcy"?
Bio Broly was a masterpiece! Okay, not really, but I just wanted to say something nice about that movie. Not great or anything, but I think it's no worse than most of the other Z movies.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 am

Kodoshin wrote:Bio Broly was a masterpiece! Okay, not really, but I just wanted to say something nice about that movie. Not great or anything, but I think it's no worse than most of the other Z movies.
It was a fine movie and honestly if they fought like Oozaru Broly insteas of slime then I could see it being many people's favorite.

It was arguably when Goten and Trunks were most serious rather than laidback. And #18 starring was nice too.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat May 15, 2021 9:58 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm Toriyama's note kind of makes it seem like the character is someone we know but never expected to see back; does that mean characters like Cooler and Janemba are out the window?
Koitsukai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:33 am Maybe Lunch is coming back
Now that y'all mention it, an early DB character makes the most sense. If not Lunch, I could see someone else from that era. Not sure who though. Lunch would certainly be completely unexpected.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat May 15, 2021 1:43 pm

According to herms, the real translation to Toriyama's statement about an unexpected character is that "a slightly unexpected character will play a major role".

So this likely means someone we possibly already know from the Z team will play a major role, or maybe someone from another universe that we saw in the ToP
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sat May 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 am
Kodoshin wrote:Bio Broly was a masterpiece! Okay, not really, but I just wanted to say something nice about that movie. Not great or anything, but I think it's no worse than most of the other Z movies.
It was a fine movie and honestly if they fought like Oozaru Broly insteas of slime then I could see it being many people's favorite.

It was arguably when Goten and Trunks were most serious rather than laidback. And #18 starring was nice too.
Yeah. I think that's what I liked most about it. Kind of a side character story.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 15, 2021 7:20 pm

omaro34 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:43 pm According to herms, the real translation to Toriyama's statement about an unexpected character is that "a slightly unexpected character will play a major role".

So this likely means someone we possibly already know from the Z team will play a major role, or maybe someone from another universe that we saw in the ToP
Do you have a link for that? I can't seem to find it on Twitter.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 am

Regarding things like the general news and the nuance of the translation issues, please remember that we DO have a website that covers all this, folks...!

https://www.kanzenshuu.com
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 am

Was it, though? Four movies for the same character cannot be called "creative bankruptcy"?
Not really. It's such a general statement that trying to ascribe a judgment to it is meaningless. Anakin Skywalker was one of the main characters of six Star Wars movies. And without any other information, that statement means jack shit for how those movies actually go. And like them or not, all the Broly movies do differ from each other even if they share the same central villain. Especially when considering that the first and second have a movie between them and the third and the forth have two movies and a whole anime series between them.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun May 16, 2021 10:52 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 am Regarding things like the general news and the nuance of the translation issues, please remember that we DO have a website that covers all this, folks...!

https://www.kanzenshuu.com
Ya know ... I forget these things.
omaro34 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:43 pm According to herms, the real translation to Toriyama's statement about an unexpected character is that "a slightly unexpected character will play a major role".

"I really shouldn’t talk too much about the plot yet, but be prepared for some extreme and entertaining bouts, which may feature an unexpected character." Alright ... it's Yamcha.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 16, 2021 11:14 am

Kanassa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 amAnd like them or not, all the Broly movies do differ from each other even if they share the same central villain.
They only differ from the "good guys" side. In the perspective of who's getting the spotlight. They don't differ from the "bad guy" side. It's that uninteresting character again and again, without adding anything interesting to the table. When we could have got two other villains instead, with the chances of at least one of them being somewhat unique, by Toei's standards.
Kanassa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 amEspecially when considering that the first and second have a movie between them and the third and the forth have two movies and a whole anime series between them.
That's completely besides the point. And that doesn't change anything.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun May 16, 2021 2:53 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:20 pm

Do you have a link for that? I can't seem to find it on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1391213465914593283
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun May 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:14 am
Kanassa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 amAnd like them or not, all the Broly movies do differ from each other even if they share the same central villain.
They only differ from the "good guys" side. In the perspective of who's getting the spotlight. They don't differ from the "bad guy" side.
Which, again, means jack shit without any actual context. Focusing on a character multiple times isn't inherently Creative bankruptcy. Hell, some have made franchises based entirely around using the same set of characters again and again. The Broly movies differ in tone, focus and even how Broly himself is presented. Their quality is debtable, but they're not just the same movie even if they share the same antagonist.
Kanassa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 amEspecially when considering that the first and second have a movie between them and the third and the forth have two movies and a whole anime series between them.
That's completely besides the point. And that doesn't change anything.
Kinda does. How far inbetween the instances in question occur is pretty relevant when you're complaining about how many times they've done something makes it inherently uncreative and that they're incapable of doing anything else.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Brogeta

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Brogeta » Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 pm
Peach wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:56 pm A Cooler movie, maybe? There's a lot of potential for good storylines with a Frieza still alive for him to interact with.

I hope it takes place around the End of Z.
This is the WORST thing they could ever do!
Nothing is worse than the the series that is DBS super. Funny GT got trashed on because Toriyama wasn't involved and well DBS happened.
Cooler being bought in is no worse than the silly idea of Golden Frieza was always powerful he was just too lazy to train.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am

If the unexpected character is an already existing character, then finally it must mean Gohan is back as a major character again.

Who else would be unexpected? Freeza came back already a ton of times so it wouldn't be him. Other characters like Krillin, Piccolo, Mr. Satan have already gotten screentime under Toriyama's writing. Fusions like Vegito and Gogeta have already been used. Goten and Trunks are two characters.

It also can't be Oob because he would be too young in this time period, unless this takes place in EOZ but that's unlikely. Finally, "my boy Gohan" is back.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue May 18, 2021 12:53 pm

precita wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am If the unexpected character is an already existing character, then finally it must mean Gohan is back as a major character again.

Who else would be unexpected? Freeza came back already a ton of times so it wouldn't be him. Other characters like Krillin, Piccolo, Mr. Satan have already gotten screentime under Toriyama's writing. Fusions like Vegito and Gogeta have already been used. Goten and Trunks are two characters.

It also can't be Oob because he would be too young in this time period, unless this takes place in EOZ but that's unlikely. Finally, "my boy Gohan" is back.
It could be an unpopular movie villain like Hirudegarn or Hatchiyack, or a character from early dragon ball, or maybe even an obscure GT character.

I'm kind of hoping they do what DBS: Broly did and canonize 2 characters at the same time.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue May 18, 2021 7:59 pm

You can call anything you want "creative bankruptcy". Like maybe a 21st Dragon Ball film.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 19, 2021 1:03 am

As a gal who is a writer and has been talking about dumb cartoons on message boards since she was twelve my suggestion is to simply not give a shit about looking professional and instead just do for yourself that which is fun. If that means a fifth Broli film then I am beyond happy for everyone involved.

Disclaimer: I want a fifth Broli film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed May 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Do we have confirmation of the Art and Animation directors for the movie or not yet? Please be Takahashi

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed May 19, 2021 1:28 pm

I'm appalled to see people in such numbers clamor for, basically, more of the same.

I mean, I truly, really think Dragon Ball needs a "reset" of sorts, but it's understandable that fans want to see more of Goku and company, and are afraid of shaking things up too much. I also enjoy some of the new things they are releasing.

But, for the life of me, I'll never be able to fathom the "make canon" mentality of some people. Like, do you actually prefer having a "canoniced" cooler/hirudegarn/turles or whatever, a fifth broly movie, instead of a new enemy? What's wrong with the original movies? Why do those characters need to fit into the new stuff? And, even if you wish for that, for a "new" version of them, a silver cell or a "yellowed" cooler, or a purple pants broly, why is that even remotely preferable to a new, potentially interesting threat, something never seen before? It's not like we are having a dragon ball movie every week! It might turn out badly, or not, some people might like it, others not so much, but at least it's new (that's how I view it, at least).

Jeez, now I understand why Toriyama and friends are so scared to add new stuff to the table, and seem content to recycle the same concepts over and over. I hope I'm wrong, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 pm

anubisj wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:28 pm I'm appalled to see people in such numbers clamor for, basically, more of the same.

I mean, I truly, really think Dragon Ball needs a "reset" of sorts, but it's understandable that fans want to see more of Goku and company, and are afraid of shaking things up too much. I also enjoy some of the new things they are releasing.

But, for the life of me, I'll never be able to fathom the "make canon" mentality of some people. Like, do you actually prefer having a "canoniced" cooler/hirudegarn/turles or whatever, a fifth broly movie, instead of a new enemy? What's wrong with the original movies? Why do those characters need to fit into the new stuff? And, even if you wish for that, for a "new" version of them, a silver cell or a "yellowed" cooler, or a purple pants broly, why is that even remotely preferable to a new, potentially interesting threat, something never seen before? It's not like we are having a dragon ball movie every week! It might turn out badly, or not, some people might like it, others not so much, but at least it's new (that's how I view it, at least).

Jeez, now I understand why Toriyama and friends are so scared to add new stuff to the table, and seem content to recycle the same concepts over and over. I hope I'm wrong, though.
It's possible to just...do both.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter