Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by omaro34 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:46 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:56 pm That guy in the car looks like Mr. Borbonne from DBZ who had hired Mercenary Tao in the past.
could be the same guy lol
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 pm

It may sound weird, but..
What if that scene with Pan.. is her learning how to FLY? :shock:
It mirrors the Videl scene here:

I checked the manga and we never saw baby Pan flying, it only happened in anime scenes and they may retcon that?? If movies follow the manga's story:

Could it be?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm

I've got mixed feelings on all this.

+More Piccolo is always good.
+I like that Pan gets to age
+I'm happy about Brolli training with Goku at Whis' place.
+Some of the shots (Pan charging up, Goku's closeups) look good
+Tank-top Vegeta returns! (Also cameo by Bad Man).
+That Brolli's short bit in the trailer is comically small and sharing screen space with Goku's butt taking up most of the shot.

?Antagonists remind me of where long ago someone on these forums suggested the idea of bad guys who try to convince the populace that Goku and friends are bad guys. I don't remember the user or how long ago this was.

-I'm still not enjoying most of the cgi. Toei can do cgi well (Precure), but too much of that clip looks like a videogame cutscene.
-Bulma's hair looks too obviously cgi-friendly in how slicked to her head it is.
-I get they're probably holding back the big character sheets for Jump Festa, but it feels a bit tone deaf to showcase Karin and Dende at something as big as NYCC.
-Pan has noticeable irises now like Chi-Chi did in some early 00's Toriyama at and I'm not sure I'm a fan.

I'm still tentatively interested. Not excited, but curious.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:12 pm

Zinnia wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 pm It may sound weird, but..
It mirrors the Videl scene here:

I checked the manga and we never saw baby Pan flying, it only happened in anime scenes and they may retcon that?? If movies follow the manga's story:

Could it be?
Pan already knows how to fly

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:15 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:12 pm Pan already knows how to fly
In anime only scenes, never in the Super manga or any movies. It may be questionable.
This movie changed Piccolo's colors and Krillin's eyes, maybe they want to neglect the DBS anime canon for good?
Last edited by Zinnia on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:16 pm

I've seen a lot of fans compare the CGI to some of the recent games. I haven't played them and only seen some clips so maybe that's why I didn't mind the trailer. I definitely would've preferred if they kept the animation from Broly but oh well. Maybe these scenes are still "rough" and will look better or more detailed in the final cut. I still think it looks pretty good and CGI has come a long way.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:38 pmSomething like that should be reserved for a filler episode of anime or an OVA or a TV special. Not a movie. Because all this will do will fuel the idea of Pan being a central character, which I don't think Toriyama, Toei or Toyotaro will have any interest in following up on because that would take time and effort to build Pan as a three-dimensional character, and because it's VERY clear that the powers-that-be would be more than happy to relax on nostalgia than gives the franchise a shot in the arm with the usage of the main cast in the long term.
I agree, it's not like they'll follow-up on that idea. But I don't mind that decision, at the end of the day, we'll be like "and hey, there's this movie where Pan gets some screentime, development, love. It was an one-off thing, so it's kinda odd, but at least she had something".
Zinnia wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:15 pmThis movie changed Piccolo's colors and Krillin's eyes, maybe they want to neglect the DBS anime canon for good?
Karin would be blue if that was the case (not that there's a canon, though), yet he's still white in the movie.

But I agree with you, I hope they ignore this "baby Pan flying" thing. It doesn't make sense. And from what I've seen, all the scenes showing her flying feels like filler, so we could easily ignore them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Chuquita wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm I get they're probably holding back the big character sheets for Jump Festa, but it feels a bit tone deaf to showcase Karin and Dende at something as big as NYCC.
Honestly, from the statements I doubt that we will even see anything big at Jump Festa except for new character sheets. It's only 2 months apart, and they said they've finished the parts of the movie we saw today specifically to show in this event (and to be honest the teaser felt kind of incomplete, ending abruptly). It will likely be a late 2022 release

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 pm

These teasers and promos aren't really doing anything for me. Some of those shady human characters look interesting, otherwise I don't have an inkling of what it's about. Lead-up advertising for the Broly film managed to get a reaction out of me; this does not, so I feel indifferent for the most part.

However, that doesn't mean it's not going to be a good film. Toriyama has almost never failed to exceed my expectations when he's heavily involved in something, so I'll reserve judgment until I can see the movie in full.

Looking forward to the theatrical release, but that's the extent of it.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Zinnia wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 pm It may sound weird, but..
Could it be?
That would be nice. Specially considering her EoZ training flying around the planet.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 pm

“Nowadays, 3D anime is state of art and looks awesome”
Yeah, actually, the teaser looks like crap… it’s the classic 3D approach with smooth movement that makes the uncanny valley… What’s so hard to understand that you had to animate 3D like 2D and get away with it. Characters look like Gundams from Sunrise, but those are justified to be blocky.
Into the Spider-verse looks cool, this is pain to look at and mostly because of how it is animated, the stills look OK.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:48 pm
Chuquita wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm I get they're probably holding back the big character sheets for Jump Festa, but it feels a bit tone deaf to showcase Karin and Dende at something as big as NYCC.
Honestly, from the statements I doubt that we will even see anything big at Jump Festa except for new character sheets. It's only 2 months apart, and they said they've finished the parts of the movie we saw today specifically to show in this event (and to be honest the teaser felt kind of incomplete, ending abruptly). It will likely be a late 2022 release

I agree on a late 2022 release. That they showed a clip instead of a full trailer leads me to believe they're not as far along as they wanted to be.

I could see even what they did show having some of its lighting reworked whenever the trailer comes out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:48 pm(and to be honest the teaser felt kind of incomplete, ending abruptly).
Chuquita wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 pm I agree on a late 2022 release. That they showed a clip instead of a full trailer leads me to believe they're not as far along as they wanted to be.

I could see even what they did show having some of its lighting reworked whenever the trailer comes out.
Didm't Piccolo's voice Mr. Furukawa say that he finished recording? doesn't this happen if the movie is already complete?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:44 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:11 pm
danyq94 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 pm
-Pan is wearing a t-shirt with GTH written on it. Some people see GT (which may be) but GTH can also mean Goth. And underneath she has the stylized face of a devil, relating to her mother Videl and grandpa Satan;
I believe GTH means Go To Hell, something that is quite out of the ordinary for a six year old to wear. :lol:
This is the truth. Guarantee it's Go To Hell. Very in-line with her Grandpa and Mom.

As for the visuals, the ones with the dynamic camera seem to be the worst (because lighting on the models if I had to guess)
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 pm

This was definitely another teaser trailer. It doesn't have a release date yet. Toei still haven't even uploaded it to their YouTube channel. I wonder when we'll get the first official trailer?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 pm This was definitely another teaser trailer. It doesn't have a release date yet. Toei still haven't even uploaded it to their YouTube channel. I wonder when we'll get the first official trailer?
I'm guessing Jump Festa.
Caulifla best girl! :)

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 pm

I wonder if this will serve as "Pan's First Big Adventure". Everybody helps her but she's the one who gets the W and finishes the enemy, maybe after going SSJ.

Since it's the Red Ribbons again it would be hilarious if they canonized 13, 14 and 15. One of the RR scientists picks up some design docs and says they're not important or something. They were weaker than Cell, after all. Just a quick nod.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:14 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 pm I wonder if this will serve as "Pan's First Big Adventure". Everybody helps her but she's the one who gets the W and finishes the enemy, maybe after going SSJ.

Since it's the Red Ribbons again it would be hilarious if they canonized 13, 14 and 15. One of the RR scientists picks up some design docs and says they're not important or something. They were weaker than Cell, after all. Just a quick nod.
I really want Pan to become SSJ here, but again, something's telling me that she won't unlock it here and they're (hopefully) saving it for a future story.

As for them potentially canonizing Androids 13, 14, and 15, I do actually like your idea. So that way they won't have to directly reboot them.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:20 pm

Some prediction:

-Broly is training with Goku on Beerus's planet

-Piccolo teach Pan to use Ki as he babysit her for Gohan and Videl, this is why we see her flying

-We will get a story from multiple PoV on earth and one with Goku and Vegeta and Beerus sparring with Broly

-Broly will become God of destruction to replace Beerus as he'll be stronger, have no place to go and lift the burden off of Goku and Vegeta, this will be the twist

-The cyborg/alien will befriend Pan, they see Gohan being a hero so they become one too hence the title of the movie

-