Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 pm

Jinto wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 pm It wouldn't make sense for Goku to not surpass Beerus. I can understand with Whis but keeping Beerus's invincibility is just a cheap marketing ploy at this point.
In fact, Beerus should've already been surpassed since the Zamasu arc (at least in the anime).
Remember when Whis said Goku and Vegeta could defeat Beerus if they worked together back in RoF ?
Not just that, remember when Toriyama stated that Goku as a Super Saiyan God is about 60% as strong as Beerus? BoG seemingly corroborated this by claiming that Beerus used 70% of his power to defeat Goku. From a writing perspective, that was obviously changed because once DBS happened, Toriyama apparently felt that Beerus needed to continue to serve as motivation for Goku and Vegeta to get stronger, so he could stay relevant, but it’s a little weird to continue doing that when we’ve established that there are beings more powerful than him.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am

I was just thinking...it's unlikely, but I'd love if Goku were to have acquired his blue-green EoZ gi by the end of this film.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am I was just thinking...it's unlikely, but I'd love if Goku were to have acquired his blue-green EoZ gi by the end of this film.
That is my dream since BOG started the new era. But it's like DB ended with Buu and everything so far disregards the EOZ epilogue except for Uub inclusion in the Super manga.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am I was just thinking...it's unlikely, but I'd love if Goku were to have acquired his blue-green EoZ gi by the end of this film.
That is my dream since BOG started the new era. But it's like DB ended with Buu and everything so far disregards the EOZ epilogue except for Uub inclusion in the Super manga.
It's frustrating, to say the least. Between that and Goten and Trunks not aging (which will hopefully be rectified here), it's like Toei either doesn't care about EoZ, or they want to keep the characters looking as close to how they're remembered in Z/the Boo saga for nostalgia purposes. That said, I'm still looking forward to the movie overall.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm
It's frustrating, to say the least. Between that and Goten and Trunks not aging (which will hopefully be rectified here), it's like Toei either doesn't care about EoZ, or they want to keep the characters looking as close to how they're remembered in Z/the Boo saga for nostalgia purposes. That said, I'm still looking forward to the movie overall.
Goten is quite possibly the most bland character, at least among the Saiyans. I honestly don't even notice he's on screen sometimes when he is. No interesting quality about him, doesn't have much of a personality, and that's on the writers. It's really too bad.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm
How old is Goten supposed to be in this movie? at the very least, one year younger than in EoZ, right? 16-ish? if so, the only way for him not to look like an adult is if he's removed entirely from the movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 pm

Correct. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Goten appearing in this movie as a sixteen/seventeen-year-old teen while still looking like seven... It's Dragon Ball Super, after all. It has been depicting some characters wrongly up until now...

At least there's a chance we could see Goten changing his hairstyle at some point during the movie, if we're lucky and he's in the movie at all, that is.

I do have to wonder about Trunks hair color, though. After everything that happened, could we be considered extremely lucky if they maintain his lilac hair? I mean, they do want to point out for us how Piccolo "is following manga colors" (but curiously not Karin), so... What's gonna be with Trunks hair? Manga color (purple)? Anime color (lilac)? Or this new thing they have come up with recently (blue)?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 am

If Trunks and Goten still look like 7-8 year old kids, and it pains me to write it 'cos I'm Trunks' fan, then it's better for everyone (creators and fans) if they are left behind and ignored.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 pm I do have to wonder about Trunks hair color, though. After everything that happened, could we be considered extremely lucky if they maintain his lilac hair? I mean, they do want to point out for us how Piccolo "is following manga colors" (but curiously not Karin), so... What's gonna be with Trunks hair? Manga color (purple)? Anime color (lilac)? Or this new thing they have come up with recently (blue)?
But if his hair is going to be blue then we fans are going to be confused! Is it Present Trunks or Future Trunks? We fans are stupid, according to Toei/Shueisha...
But for real, I hope he has blue hair, let the Internet explode once again.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 pm Correct. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Goten appearing in this movie as a sixteen/seventeen-year-old teen while still looking like seven... It's Dragon Ball Super, after all. It has been depicting some characters wrongly up until now...

At least there's a chance we could see Goten changing his hairstyle at some point during the movie, if we're lucky and he's in the movie at all, that is.

I do have to wonder about Trunks hair color, though. After everything that happened, could we be considered extremely lucky if they maintain his lilac hair? I mean, they do want to point out for us how Piccolo "is following manga colors" (but curiously not Karin), so... What's gonna be with Trunks hair? Manga color (purple)? Anime color (lilac)? Or this new thing they have come up with recently (blue)?
But has been Karin seen in the trailers to say his color hasn't been "retconned"? anyway, I guess it's easier to change from pink to yellow than to go from white to blue or black...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Trouser wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 amBut for real, I hope he has blue hair, let the Internet explode once again.
As much as I understand that feeling (heck, I'm a bit amused at how "Bardock should've stayed dead" and the current long rants about Bardock's portrayal over on Twitter), I do prefer something resembling consistency. I'll be fine with either lilac or purple, rolling my eyes a bit if blue.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 pmBut has been Karin seen in the trailers to say his color hasn't been "retconned"? anyway, I guess it's easier to change from pink to yellow than to go from white to blue or black...
Pretty sure he'll be white in the movie, that's how his design was revealed. I don't know if they ever revealed a character design only for this character to appear differently in the movie before.

I don't think there's any "retcon", though. He's always been white in the anime, so him appearing like that in the movie will be consistent with his overall portrayal. If he's blue, then it will be consistent with his manga appearance. I don't remember if Karin has sported any other color in the manga, though I remember seeing him as brown and as a few other colors somewhere out there.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:53 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:27 pm
Trouser wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 amBut for real, I hope he has blue hair, let the Internet explode once again.
As much as I understand that feeling (heck, I'm a bit amused at how "Bardock should've stayed dead" and the current long rants about Bardock's portrayal over on Twitter), I do prefer something resembling consistency. I'll be fine with either lilac or purple, rolling my eyes a bit if blue.
I agree, consistency is something I want too, but it's not going to appear if it comes to Super (it's too late and they do not care). I'm just laughing it off, 'cos we fans can't do nothing to fix our beloved franchise.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 pm Correct. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Goten appearing in this movie as a sixteen/seventeen-year-old teen while still looking like seven... It's Dragon Ball Super, after all. It has been depicting some characters wrongly up until now...

The Karin design we got was Toriyama’s, so those are the colors he wants.

If Trunks appears he will be aged up for sure and therefore he will have blue hair.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Wait people are still ranting over the minus stuff or is it about something new?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:42 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Wait people are still ranting over the minus stuff or is it about something new?
The new chapter of the DBS manga features Bardock doing something that the fans were really disappointed at.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:26 am

One of my biggest complaint about GT is when they shafted Goten for Pan but I guess they are trying to stay true to characterization since Goten is a bit of an easy going guy.

Nobody ever noticed but Toriyama seems to love the theme of "staying true to your nature", at least as much as it can be allowed and consider a character arc complete when he reach the balance between what I am and what can I do.

If Goten is an airhead, he will stay like that wether or not people point it out same for scholar Gohan or Battle crazy Goku or Strict Piccolo, Chichi won't mind his husband lack of authority, ...

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:24 am

Jinto wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:26 am One of my biggest complaint about GT is when they shafted Goten for Pan but I guess they are trying to stay true to characterization since Goten is a bit of an easy going guy.
I didn't mind that because Pan was a new character who had to get development, while Goten had Buu arc and the DBS-era to himself. And sadly the writers haven't used him at all despite having lots of attempts.

Well lets' hope this movie finally changes it and they get some relevance, alongside being a bit older as they should.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:04 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 amIf Trunks appears he will be aged up for sure and therefore he will have blue hair.
I'll be very happy just to see a grown-up Trunks, so I guess I...

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:28 pmWait people are still ranting over the minus stuff or is it about something new?
Yeah, you know... Toriyama's Bardock. A lot of people are pissed about that considering his latest appearance in the manga. I do understand them to some extent. Z Bardock is great, but people need to understand that Bardock can be a murderous Saiyan while still caring for his family. Bardock just got a new layer of personality, he didn't lose the old one.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am

What are the chances that Freeza will show up in the movie?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am

Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am What are the chances that Freeza will show up in the movie?
Hopefully 0%
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am What are the chances that Freeza will show up in the movie?
He will probably have a cameo and that will be it. The story seems to be focus more on what was going on Earth than having it be a story set in space. Freeza will probably stay out of it because it's not his business. I do think Mr. Satan meeting Freeza is long over because Mr. Satan has meet every major DBZ villain expect for Freeza.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/