Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 am

Does anyone else get a bad feeling like the marketing & promotion for this movie & DB in general from Toei as of late has been very poor? Compare this to back in 2018 they seemed to promote the previous movie & franchise heavily.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:02 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 am Does anyone else get a bad feeling like the marketing & promotion for this movie & DB in general from Toei as of late has been very poor? Compare this to back in 2018 they seemed to promote the previous movie & franchise heavily.
The movie can be as far away as thirteen months from now. This isn't the time to promote it...materials don't even exist!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:19 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 am Does anyone else get a bad feeling like the marketing & promotion for this movie & DB in general from Toei as of late has been very poor? Compare this to back in 2018 they seemed to promote the previous movie & franchise heavily.
What Julie said...we're over a year away. There's no need for Toei to be pumping out tons of promo materials right now.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am

It's likely because they have nothing to use to get people hyped for it. Every response was pretty lackluster besides a brief "oh, Pan's in it." With the most exciting thing that got fans going was the 0.003sec of Broly. That's it. The tidbits we got for the Broly movie, before it was even confirmed it was a Broly movie, had people guessing and forming theories of who it was. It built hype on its own. Super Hero though? It's essentially a filler arc with a time skip.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am It's likely because they have nothing to use to get people hyped for it. Every response was pretty lackluster besides a brief "oh, Pan's in it." With the most exciting thing that got fans going was the 0.003sec of Broly. That's it. The tidbits we got for the Broly movie, before it was even confirmed it was a Broly movie, had people guessing and forming theories of who it was. It built hype on its own. Super Hero though? It's essentially a filler arc with a time skip.

Watch it be the last movie :D

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am . Super Hero though? It's essentially a filler arc with a time skip.

You can't call it filler when it's by Toriyama.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:54 pm
Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am . Super Hero though? It's essentially a filler arc with a time skip.

Eh true but i kind see where he’s coming from the movie you can already feel the lack of tension

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:26 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm

Eh true but i kind see where he’s coming from the movie you can already feel the lack of tension
You don't need to connect the story to the grand scheme of things in order to create tension. That's like saying there won't be any tension because we know Goku (or one of the other good guys) is gonna beat the bad guys.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:27 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm

It's too early to make that call. We'll see.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:59 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:26 pm You don't need to connect the story to the grand scheme of things in order to create tension. That's like saying there won't be any tension because we know Goku (or one of the other good guys) is gonna beat the bad guys.
If we consider that the current DBS Manga is canon to this, then what tension could there be? Right now we have the Earth Dragon Balls, the Namekian Dragon Balls, the Cerelean Dragon Balls (which can be used ANY number of times) and the Super Dragon Balls. Not to mention the U6 Namekian Dragon Balls if we wanted to include them too. They have every tool up the whazoo to take the sense of tension and consequence out of everything. Hell we already know Whis can just revive people at will and magically pop babies out of bellies without any negative effects.

It's not about tension, it's about not knowing what to do anymore and revisiting the same tired story beats as before. More RRA for the sake of more RRA, despite no reason for them to even exist anymore or even any explanation as to how they could exist anymore. And then there's the time skip. Sure, sometimes it's a good idea when nothing else is going on in order for events in the Universe to move along towards a point where things start to happen again. But here's the problem; We already have story points that've been left untouched and unfulfilled since the U6 Tournament.

We still haven't seen Vegeta visit planet Sadala in U6. The U6 Saiyans are still utterly forgotten about, along with all the other universes. Whom you would think would be trying to spy or keep an eye on U7 to make sure Goku doesn't get them possibly erased again by Zeno. We get introduced to the new Broly and his companions, and then they're just ejected from the story entirely and not touched upon until the 0.003sec of the trailer where Broly was just barely spotted training with Goku.

Nothing else is being touched upon. Every other character is being forgotten about and left to languish. Instead we're getting through two Revenge Arcs in the Manga and now a new movie with the RRA which is, presumably, about the RRA trying to get Revenge on Goku and co. There's no journey or adventure anymore. It's just going from Point-A to Point-B to prepare for the next big fight. There's no exploration of the greater universe, much less the Multiverse after they shoved that into the story and then decided it's not worth exploring.

So far, the movie looks to be little more than more nostalgia baiting. And they're doing it with Video Game CGI, which has put people off. And thanks to the Time Skip, we're going to be stuck with a several year long gap where, effectively, nothing happens and nothing will be explained about that time we're not seeing. Which would be made even worse if they just decided to Explain it to the audience in a huge info dump, rather than letting us see and experience it ourselves.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 pm

That’s why to me it feel like it’s the last movie . It’s just the ones running the franchise don’t want to outright say it’s over this is the end etc. But the actions and radio silence is the writing on the walls. But man would it be one anticlimactic way to go out.

None of the multiverse stuff will get explored
The whole Frieza needs an ally vs Goku & Vegeta plot point forgotten
Erased Universes
None of the visiting Sadala stuff
Exempt universes fighters
Zalama
Yamoshi etc etc

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:52 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 pm That’s why to me it feel like it’s the last movie . It’s just the ones running the franchise don’t want to outright say it’s over this is the end etc. But the actions and radio silence is the writing on the walls. But man would it be one anticlimactic way to go out.

Erased Universes
Zalama
Yamoshi etc etc
Not to mention I was very intrigued with the line in the manga that mentioned that Namekians come from a "different realm". I hope they expand on that line further in the manga, but I highly doubt it.

Lots of plot points unexplored and left hanging will leave fan-fiction to run amok.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am It's likely because they have nothing to use to get people hyped for it. Every response was pretty lackluster besides a brief "oh, Pan's in it." With the most exciting thing that got fans going was the 0.003sec of Broly. That's it. The tidbits we got for the Broly movie, before it was even confirmed it was a Broly movie, had people guessing and forming theories of who it was. It built hype on its own. Super Hero though? It's essentially a filler arc with a time skip.
Give the film a chance before we judge too much. Calling it a filler arc when Toriyama is heavily involved and the plot not even being revealed in its entirety is a bit premature.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 pm

Goku and Vegeta are getting old literally, and I seriously would hate Pan (if she is her GT self) as a main character for Dragon Ball.
Why does most franchise introduce a whiny prodigy brat when it wants to go into next gen ?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:40 pm

Jinto wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 pm Goku and Vegeta are getting old literally, and I seriously would hate Pan (if she is her GT self) as a main character for Dragon Ball.
Why does most franchise introduce a whiny prodigy brat when it wants to go into next gen ?
We don't know that Pan will be whiny in the movie.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:32 am

Jinto wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 pm Goku and Vegeta are getting old literally, and I seriously would hate Pan (if she is her GT self) as a main character for Dragon Ball.
She wasn't whiny. She was cocky and strong-willed and those traits were played as cute.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:18 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 pm That’s why to me it feel like it’s the last movie . It’s just the ones running the franchise don’t want to outright say it’s over this is the end etc. But the actions and radio silence is the writing on the walls. But man would it be one anticlimactic way to go out.

Erased Universes
Zalama
Yamoshi etc etc
Sorry, but to think there won't be produced more animated Dragon Ball after this is completely unlogical. They'll want to continue milking the franchise.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:25 am

I think the reason why they are going with a low-stakes plot is to not overwhelm themselves with a more complicated story while focusing on polishing the 3D animation.
Still a bit of a shame--in retrospect--we don't get to see U6 again...maybe after EoZ?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:01 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:25 am I think the reason why they are going with a low-stakes plot is to not overwhelm themselves with a more complicated story while focusing on polishing the 3D animation.
Still a bit of a shame--in retrospect--we don't get to see U6 again...maybe after EoZ?
For what it's worth, a "lower stakes" story probably results in a much MORE complicated plot... for example, the Broly movie was "high stakes" but the plot could be summarized in a sentence, or maybe two. If the new movie focuses less on a big, climactic battle, there's probably more time spent on......... yep, plot.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:45 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:25 am I think the reason why they are going with a low-stakes plot is to not overwhelm themselves with a more complicated story while focusing on polishing the 3D animation.
Maybe Vegeta will try to surpass Goku in the "teaching" department too and go to Planet Sadala after End of Z, to train Cabba and/or the Saiyan girls. The writers also set up the potential plot where Vegeta meets the King of Planet Sadala.

Anything could happen honestly, we also know from the end of the ToP arc that the Girls want to reach SS3 so Vegeta can try to reach that form with them and finally become SS3 in Canon after years of humiliation :think: