Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Noah » Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 am

There is something really iffy about this movie marketing. I can only think they are not revealing much about it because the movie is just that:

Piccolo is attacked > Pan is kidnapped > Gohan rushes to save his daughter > Few scenes of Goku, Vegeta and Broly > Few scenes of secondary characters > Gohan and Piccolo vs. Gamma 1 & 2 > Gohan vs. The Final Boss > The End.

And if that's true, then is justificable but also very underwhelming. I mean Japan doesn't care much about spoilers as westerns do, so if something big like Cell return would happen it would already been revealed.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 am

Noah wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 am There is something really iffy about this movie marketing. I can only think they are not revealing much about it because the movie is just that:

Piccolo is attacked > Pan is kidnapped > Gohan rushes to save his daughter > Few scenes of Goku, Vegeta and Broly > Few scenes of secondary characters > Gohan and Piccolo vs. Gamma 1 & 2 > Gohan vs. The Final Boss > The End.

And if that's true, then is justificable but also very underwhelming. I mean Japan doesn't care much about spoilers as westerns do, so if something big like Cell return would happen it would already been revealed.
Two hours just for that?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 am

The film's probably connected by numerous slice-of-life scenes—something typically not covered in the trailers. Furthermore I seriously doubt they're going to show off every action cut in the film in the trailers.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 21, 2022 1:17 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:20 pm It's not 100% confirmed but according to Cinemark Hoyts Argentina the movie is gonna be 90 minutes long.
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1526851266017562625
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1526 ... 25/photo/2 This leads me to think it's longer.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 21, 2022 1:34 pm

Considering how the original desired length for Movie #20 was 90 minutes I am more than confident that the length of this film will be 90 as well.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 21, 2022 2:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:34 pm Considering how the original desired length for Movie #20 was 90 minutes I am more than confident that the length of this film will be 90 as well.
What do you thnk that time stamp in the image is?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:05 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:34 pm Considering how the original desired length for Movie #20 was 90 minutes I am more than confident that the length of this film will be 90 as well.
Not a timestamp reflective of the actual available planned or finished film. We don't know if that file up on screen is actually that long. We don't know if the timestamp is hour:minute:second or not.

Toei films and shounen films in general are traditionally 90 minutes. Nagamine had to press for a slightly longer length for Movie #20. Considering the strain of having to create visuals for a CG film with so few resources and on such a short schedule I highly doubt they were able to plan out a film to be two hours long.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:33 pm

Why is America getting the movie two months later when DBSB got the movie like a month later? Is it because Fox is not apart of the film distribution?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:33 pm Why is America getting the movie two months later when DBSB got the movie like a month later? Is it because Fox is not apart of the film distribution?
Probably due to delays messing up planning. Distributing a film is not as simple as simply sending theater chains a copy of the film and saying "run the film~!" There's various levels of bureaucracy that goes behind any and all decisions in capitalism.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 21, 2022 6:43 pm

I’m still optimistic about the run time. One Piece Film: Gold was around 2 hours in length, so it’s not like Toei isn’t capable of making longer films. We also don’t know how long exactly this film’s been in production.

Those time stamps from the voiceover process are surely hour:minute:second:frame. What else could it be? :lol: If it is the case, it seems like a complete waste for them to produce around almost 2 hours worth of (rough) animated footage and then cut it down to around 90 minutes. For Broly, we know that they had around 3 hours worth of story board material that ended up being 100 minutes of animated content.

Also judging by the amount of characters in this thing (and how many of them we still haven’t seen in trailers), the set pieces that we’ve seen so far and all the teases we’ve heard, it would only make sense for the film to be longer than any other film we’ve had before to make up for all of that. I really don’t want another 90 minute film. Even Broly felt like it could’ve been a bit longer.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat May 21, 2022 7:04 pm

I want the movie to do well, but, what I'm worried about is the fucking never ending pandemic, and 1 or 2? new viruses that affect children? I hope when the movie comes out the world is not in flames.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat May 21, 2022 7:10 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:04 pm I want the movie to do well, but, what I'm worried about is the fucking never ending pandemic, and 1 or 2? new viruses that affect children? I hope when the movie comes out the world is not in flames.
You do realise that "the pandemic" lives mostly because of the government? Here, in Poland, where we are helping as we can Ukraine who was attacked by Russia, the pandemic is over? Things are back to "normal". I mean, right now, because the priorities are somewhere else. Strange.

edit: the world is in flames. Whether it's Ukraine or other country. There's "bullying" everywhere.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:43 pm I’m still optimistic about the run time. One Piece Film: Gold was around 2 hours in length, so it’s not like Toei isn’t capable of making longer films. We also don’t know how long exactly this film’s been in production.
But does the story have enough material to demand an over 2 hours runtime? I don't see anything in Super Hero that would call for it.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 22, 2022 2:22 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:43 pm I’m still optimistic about the run time. One Piece Film: Gold was around 2 hours in length, so it’s not like Toei isn’t capable of making longer films. We also don’t know how long exactly this film’s been in production.
But does the story have enough material to demand an over 2 hours runtime? I don't see anything in Super Hero that would call for it.
Definitely not over 2 hours, but most likely up to 2 hours. I’m only judging this off of the amount of characters in the movie, the set pieces we’ve seen and the possibility that there’s a whole act that they haven’t shown in the trailers at all.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun May 22, 2022 1:37 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 pm
Not a timestamp reflective of the actual available planned or finished film. We don't know if that file up on screen is actually that long. We don't know if the timestamp is hour:minute:second or not.

Toei films and shounen films in general are traditionally 90 minutes. Nagamine had to press for a slightly longer length for Movie #20. Considering the strain of having to create visuals for a CG film with so few resources and on such a short schedule I highly doubt they were able to plan out a film to be two hours long.
This source says it will be 120 minutes: https://www.legrandrex.com/cinema/3835

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 22, 2022 4:33 pm

Super Hero being 2 hours would be madcap

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 22, 2022 4:43 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:37 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 pm

This source says it will be 120 minutes: https://www.legrandrex.com/cinema/3835
I'm not convinced by a foreign website, especially this far out from release.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Guys, something tells me this movie is gonna be between 60 and 120 minutes long. I could be wrong, it's just a hunch, but I could feel it happening. /s
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:22 pm

This movie is merely weeks away after the first delay, and it just feels underwhelming.

I couldn’t be happier that Piccolo is playing a larger role, but the fact that the marketing of this film has been subpar at best when compared to Broly gives me cause to pause.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl